PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket Big bearing removal??

Sarge707
05-01-2012, 04:50 PM
How??? It don,t wanna go??
The Blind Hole puller I borrowed from Auto Zone did nothing.
The 2 smaller bearings popped out by hitting a 23mm (Flat Side) socket on the rear side with a hammer a few times.

Whats the best way to get the Larger Sprocket bearing out short of paying the dealer - (With my tail between my legs?):yikes:

boborgera
05-01-2012, 05:37 PM
How??? It don,t wanna go??
The Blind Hole puller I borrowed from Auto Zone did nothing.
The 2 smaller bearings popped out by hitting a 23mm (Flat Side) socket on the rear side with a hammer a few times.

Whats the best way to get the Larger Sprocket bearing out short of paying the dealer - (With my tail between my legs?):yikes:

Larger deep socket and bigger hammer.
:dontknow:

r1100rider
05-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Larger deep socket and bigger hammer.
:dontknow:
People are coming to the forum looking for answers from someone who has done the job before having just done this bearing there is a snap ring holding it IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE THE JOB DO NOT POST WITH BIGGER HAMMER ADVICE

Trickie Dick
05-03-2012, 09:37 AM
People are coming to the forum looking for answers from someone who has done the job before having just done this bearing there is a snap ring holding it IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE THE JOB DO NOT POST WITH BIGGER HAMMER ADVICE

Nor do we like people yelling at us:lecturef_smilie:

boborgera
05-03-2012, 11:42 AM

My bad, I assumed he remove the circlip, It's been over a year and a half since i played with the bearings.
So you have to forgive me,:dontknow: And I'll leave it at that!.

Sarge707
05-03-2012, 05:14 PM
My bad, I assumed he remove the circlip, It's been over a year and a half since i played with the bearings.
So you have to forgive me,:dontknow: And I'll leave it at that!.

No Harm. I brought the sprocket to My dealer and you do have to first take off the Cir Clip under the seal ( My Bad) and then the bearing will remove easier. The dealer removed the Seal, Cir Clip and bearing (Which I had hammered on) and replaced the Parts with the parts I gave him for $20 in about 15 minutes..

For people searching in the future I would recommend doing the hub and wheel (Small) bearings yourself as they are pretty easy to knock off from the rear with a 23mm socket(Flat side) and some sort of extention.
I Will in the future just take the Sprocket to the dealer and let him do that (With My Parts) and pay the few $$ so the Sprocket is perfect, BECAUSE thats the bearing the wheel turns on!!!

I will say One of the bearings or more had to be going because it was getting hard to push back in the garage and when I jacked it up there was a lot more resistance than I was used to when turning the wheel by hand.. Now its Great--LIKE NEW- a 2 year old could push it.

Moral of the Thread- Push your Spyder around now and then and occassionally Jack it up and turn the wheel to see how much resistance your getting.. I knew something felt wrong and took corrective action before riding further (Plus it rained all wek?):roflblack: