PDA

View Full Version : Jacking up the spyder

bmwlarry
04-29-2012, 09:39 AM
I have had my bike for a few days now and spent the day yesterday getting used to riding it around town. Love it! I went to several bike shops looking for Powerlet but couldn't find what I was looking for. I stopped by a Harley shop and they had what I needed. I wanted the cable to attack the battery tender thru the rear trunk. I found that Batter Tender makes the SAE to 12V cigarette lighter style cable. After home, I removed the four screw that hold the gauges in and unplugged the two gauges so they showed up on the digital gauge. That was simple. Next I wanted to instal the heat shield and cannot get under the bike to see what I was doing. How do you jack up the bike and where are the jack points? I was considering backing the bike up with the front wheels on ramps. I held the heat shield in place and am not too thrilled with the gloss black. Has anyone tried painting to flat black? I was thinking of using a flat black vinyl sticker material to cover it. If I understand it correctly, when installing this shield, you need to remove the lower panel permanently and reinstall the bolts. Correct?

Next week I take the bike in and have the trailer wiring harness installed. they want apron. $200 because of the amount of work involved. I am hoping they can get me the adapter for non BRP trailers. I guess it is nothing more that the tongue harness fir the BRP trailer and you put the necessary end on it - $119.00.

Comments, suggestions, and concerns?

epiphysis
04-29-2012, 11:49 AM
I use my Harbor Freight jack...the aluminum type...rated at 1500 lbs.......I place the back side of the jack under at just behind the driver foot pegs...........just take your time.......it's actually not too bad....compared to two wheels, there's no lean or major imbalance once you get the right spots.....

bmwlarry
04-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Any other input regarding questions??
Thanks

Tin Can
04-29-2012, 06:48 PM
I also ues a Habor Frieght jack, they work great. Yes to the ? about the bolts, you do reinstall them.

Mspiv
05-11-2012, 02:18 PM
So where are the jack up points for the front wheels? Any one got pictures?

scooterexpress
05-11-2012, 02:30 PM
get the stainless steel mesh from spyderpops to cover up the heat sheild and looks good on bike also

ornerydog7
05-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Hope this helps http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?14601-Lifting-the-RT