PDA

View Full Version : What are the qualities of Good Ryde Leader?

GnA
04-28-2012, 01:12 PM
I have my own opinion, but looking for feedback on how a great ryde leader makes a good ryde a great ryde??

Thanks,
G

rnet
04-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Knowing the ability of the riders behind you and explaining to them what there responsibility are.

wyliec
04-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Whatever the qualities are, rnet has them and I can't wait for more of the rides he has planned for the Gawkers this year.

To become a Gawker, you have to know how to pronounce Accord. :joke:

Littlebadwolf
04-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Here's a good sample of Ride Captains responsibilities...pretty much universal..

http://www.sheboyganhogchapter.com/ShebHOGGRG.pdf

Bob Denman
04-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Lots of ways to look at this one... A very good question! :thumbup:
The leader should be mindful of who's on the ride; their abilities, endurance levels and their bike's capability to complete a ride...
They also have to have a great "tailgunner" on board; the one who's keeping everybody together in one group.
They they've got to:
Keep everybody riding within their limits
Keep everybody fueled up:both bike and belly!
Keep everybody entertained with the choice of the route; scenery, terrain, route difficulty,etc...

But that's just what'd I'd be looking for...

Grandpa Spyder
04-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Lots of ways to look at this one... A very good question! :thumbup:
The leader should be mindful of who's on the ride; their abilities, endurance levels and their bike's capability to complete a ride...
They also have to have a great "tailgunner" on board; the one who's keeping everybody together in one group.
They they've got to:
Keep everybody riding within their limits
Keep everybody fueled up:both bike and belly!
Keep everybody entertained with the choice of the route; scenery, terrain, route difficulty,etc...

But that's just what'd I'd be looking for...

yes what he said, :agree:

Buttsy
04-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Regardless of the past time, ATV, Snowmobiles, Motorcycles and Spyders the number one key thing is "pace". Knowing the limits of the group and then keeping a nice comfortable pace so everyone enjoys.

Its a real challenge as different folks have different abilities and enjoy different things.

Bob Denman
04-28-2012, 05:55 PM
:agree: Keeping the pace right; and realizing that it's almost impossible to keep everybody happy, is a major ingredient to a good day in the saddle.

Do you guys ever let some of the "Wristier" crowd pin their ears back for a bit with the understanding that there is a meeting time and place up ahead for everybody to get back into one group?

Mspiv
04-28-2012, 06:19 PM
I teach the GWRRA Road Captain Course in New England.

I just read the Hog Road Captain certification. It is excellent.

I would add only more thing. A relaxed, calm demeanor. The best group rides I have ever been on are Captained and Draged by calm relaxed people when make their calls in that manner. Most of us ride with CB radios so our communications are verbal and hand signal.

flamingobabe
04-28-2012, 09:44 PM
a good ryde captain is only as good as their middle ryder and tail runner....there should be communication between them....the group should stay small...20 or less....no one is left behind....

Mspiv
04-29-2012, 01:59 AM
:agree: Keeping the pace right; and realizing that it's almost impossible to keep everybody happy, is a major ingredient to a good day in the saddle.

Do you guys ever let some of the "Wristier" crowd pin their ears back for a bit with the understanding that there is a meeting time and place up ahead for everybody to get back into one group?
Because we ride with such a great range of skills, from absolute newbs with under 500 miles to MSF INSTRUCTOR TRAINERS, we often meet at the ice cream place as specified in the riders briefing

Bob Denman
04-29-2012, 07:09 AM
I'll meet you there!!! :shocked: :2thumbs: Me and ice cream have been on a first name basis forever; and I carry the proof in front of me where my belt can strain and struggle to contain it! :roflblack:

Sonrisa
04-29-2012, 09:02 AM
I agree with most of the comments stated except that I don't want some going ahead of the group or doing their own thing. This causes much confusion and problems for the leaders and trailers. You need to talk with the group and tell them what is expected on the ride. Also when you (the leader) sees something of interest, stop and let the group enjoy. The whole purpose of a group ride is to have fun.

dancogan
04-29-2012, 09:16 AM
This won't wash with most of the opinions, but I don't like group rides in general, particularly because most groups are far too large. I believe groups should be kept to small numbers, such as no more than 5 together. Any more than that becomes a rolling obstruction to other traffic on the road. Trying to keep a larger group together requires slower speeds and that often results in holding up traffic that wants to move faster. Groups should also be geared to the ability of the slowest rider. It's easy to say, "Ride your own ride" but quite different for the new rider to find him or her self in the middle of a group moving faster than they feel comfortable with. The result is pushing people beyond their limits. A good ride will start out with detailed maps or sheets indicating the turns and elapsed distances between turns, and times to arrive at pre-determined meeting spots, for each rider. Then small groups appropriately spaced can ride at the pace suitable for each group and not worry about getting lost or missing out on the fun. JMO