PDA

View Full Version : Traveled the Distance to Get my New Can-Am Spyder RT-S

Knarfoh
04-26-2012, 04:14 PM
In the Columbus, Ohio area, all 3 local Can-Am dealers are affiliated with each other so no real competition on price, etc. I did try contacting other Ohio dealers. The one in Jackson was too small to have much inventory apparently. The one in Middletown area NEVER responded after several attempts to contact them. The Huron dealership was responsive and willing to deal somewhat on price, etc.

However, I ended up buying from Ridersville Cycle in Berkeley Springs, WV. Right off the bat, they were willing to offer me the incentives to travel and buy from them. I needed a 6' wide X 10' trailer with a gate for loading. While I could have rented what I needed from Sunbelt Equipment in Columbus (right next to the old Cooper Baseball Stadium) for $47 a day (based upon 24 hour period), a member of my church offered to let me borrow their trailer and I accepted his offer.

My trike lists for $25,699. Local dealers wanted dealer prep, freight and documentary fees ($1,000 in addition to list) on top of that. Ridersville Cycle wanted $22,400. NO DEALER PREP, NO FREIGHT, NO DOCUMENTARY FEES. They did charge me another $10 for the 60-Day temporary tag. I had to bring two forms of photo identification (driver license and passport in my case).

I left at 6:30 a.m. from the Columbus east side and arrived at the dealership at around noon. After an hour or so doing the paperwork; having the dealer review the trike and its features, etc.; loading it on my trailer and tying it down for me; I left and was back in Columbus at 7:00 p.m. By spending 12 and half hours and risking the dealer might try to "jack the price up" once I got there, I ended up saving nearly $4,000 and having the greatest buying experience I have ever had when I purchased my new Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM5.

Sarge707
04-26-2012, 04:35 PM
You did well. I would have bought it tooo!!
I have Never Paid a BRP dealer Dealer Prep, Freight or documentary fee,s on 13 Jet ski purchases.
Certain dealers will insist to add them but you found one who didn,t.
Wecome aboard!!:clap:

Knarfoh
04-26-2012, 05:08 PM
You did well. I would have bought it tooo!!
I have Never Paid a BRP dealer Dealer Prep, Freight or documentary fee,s on 13 Jet ski purchases.
Certain dealers will insist to add them but you found one who didn,t.
Wecome aboard!!:clap:

Thanks for the welcoming. I am not opposed to a dealer making money. I use this same dealer for many other things and they know I am a serious buyer. Just was disappointing their attitude was come in when you are ready to buy (at full price with all the add-on charges). I did go to the store now closest to me and not the one I normally do business with so maybe that made the difference? Years ago, I might have been stuck but with the internet, I found a dealership in another state willing to deal right off the bat. I have to tell you I was nervous right up to the point of departure to pick up my new Spyder. But all went well.

Just hard to justify the difference in prices. Not being disloyal to my local dealer. Just being realistic.

fastfraser
04-26-2012, 06:04 PM
:welcome::congrats: on the new :spyder2: and what did you get. Hope you are as lucky with your service at your closer dealer ?

CyncySpyder
04-26-2012, 08:35 PM
:congrats: & :welcome:

Knarfoh
04-26-2012, 09:28 PM
:welcome::congrats: on the new :spyder2: and what did you get. Hope you are as lucky with your service at your closer dealer ?

Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM5

I expect to pay full tilt for service when the time comes. I have never seen any dealers do anything but charge what the book says to charge.

Unfortunately, I already have had the need to have the vehicle serviced. The first day I drove it extensively, the "limp home" light came on. Turned out the rear passenger sensor was bad and needed replaced.

The dealer handled the repair the same day and professionally. Like I said in my first post. I have done lots of business with this dealership, but never this salesperson. When I told them I was ready to buy, no price break of any kind was offered. At that point, I was not sure what to expect from any other dealers. When I got online and found a dealer willing to considerably discount from what my local dealer was willing to do, I just went with that dealer. I didn't try to play one dealer against another. I got an offer which I accepted. End of story.

ARtraveler
04-26-2012, 09:48 PM
:welcome: and :congrats:on the great deal and purchasing experience.

I too, hope you have good experience when you bring the bike in for service--some dealers can be pretty hard to deal with when you are not their original customer. Yes, they have to cover warranty--but may take their time about it.

Keep us posted.

bigrc2
04-29-2012, 07:39 AM
In the Columbus, Ohio area, all 3 local Can-Am dealers are affiliated with each other so no real competition on price, etc. I did try contacting other Ohio dealers. The one in Jackson was too small to have much inventory apparently. The one in Middletown area NEVER responded after several attempts to contact them. The Huron dealership was responsive and willing to deal somewhat on price, etc.

However, I ended up buying from Ridersville Cycle in Berkeley Springs, WV. Right off the bat, they were willing to offer me the incentives to travel and buy from them. I needed a 6' wide X 10' trailer with a gate for loading. While I could have rented what I needed from Sunbelt Equipment in Columbus (right next to the old Cooper Baseball Stadium) for $47 a day (based upon 24 hour period), a member of my church offered to let me borrow their trailer and I accepted his offer.

My trike lists for $25,699. Local dealers wanted dealer prep, freight and documentary fees ($250) on top of that. Ridersville Cycle wanted $22,400. NO DEALER PREP, NO FREIGHT, NO DOCUMENTARY FEES. They did charge me another $10 for the 60-Day temporary tag. I had to bring two forms of photo identification (driver license and passport in my case).

I left at 6:30 a.m. from the Columbus east side and arrived at the dealership at around noon. After an hour or so doing the paperwork; having the dealer review the trike and its features, etc.; loading it on my trailer and tying it down for me; I left and was back in Columbus at 7:00 p.m. By spending 12 and half hours and risking the dealer might try to "jack the price up" once I got there, I ended up saving nearly $4,000 and having the greatest buying experience I have ever had when I purchased my new Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM5.
i never bought from the local dealer middletown cycles . they were a thousand dollars more then anybody in the country and rt they wanted to sell me had chips in paint all over the front hood and never would even take care of it and still wanted thousand more than anyone else. now they don't want to service it because i boughtit at j&j powersports in huron ohio for 3500.00 less then them. now when i tried to get it in to do recall on brakes they first ask if you bought from them and if not they pull this crap we call you maybe in 8 or 9 weeks if we get time . brp was told the crap the dealers are pulling and they don't care . all they are worried about is people selling their product not how their customers are being treated because of this i would never buy their product again. if the car manufactures pulled that they would not be in business.

Dwanton
04-29-2012, 07:47 AM
Sweet deal -- congratulations :yes:

bigrc2
04-29-2012, 07:58 AM
:congrats: & :welcome:
hi i live in west chester oh where do you get your spyder serviced ?i use to go to pleasant valley marina but i was told they are not a can am dealer anymore, they always took it righ in and never played that game did you buy it here if not we don't know when we can get it in since you never bought from us.

Knarfoh
05-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Just did my 600 mile break-in service. Dealer was courteous and professional and completed the work timely. Apparently, they give their own customers a 10% break on the price, so the only difference as far as I could see was I paid fulltilt for the work that was done. I actually had 710 miles on my trike before I was able to get it in. It is motorcycle season, so you have to plan accordingly and schedule your appointments timely.

TeddyBearHohma
08-14-2012, 12:47 AM
I traveled from Afghanistan to Ohio and went to American Powersport in Findlay to buy my Spyder RT. They gave me a great price, military discount, and even a price break on a new HJC Helmet. They really took care of me and even arranged to transport my rig to NC for me so I'll have my ride when I get back from Afghanistan. I really enjoyed working with them, they were helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. I would return to Ohio to buy again (when the wife wants her own) but it's too far away to ride for services and gear (for now). I'll locate a dealer nearby for services and there are plenty of gear stores in and around post for me to get gear from. However when it comes to getting a new Spyder I'll go the extra distance to Ohio to buy again.

Knarfoh
09-17-2012, 02:08 PM
I went back to the original dealership where I had first looked at CanAm Spyders. The salesman saw I had arrived driving my Spyder. He walked up to me and was cordial and explained "what a deal" he could have made for me. LOL. At that point he had no idea what I paid or even where I had purchased. I decided to let "sleeping dogs lie" and smiled and went about my shopping. After repeated visits, including allowing them to check my credit for financing purposes, no words slipped from his lips about any willingness to "deal" on price until that day. I had talked to 2 other customers who paid full-tilt, including all the fees so I had no reason to expect any better deal. I never let the other customers know how much I paid. They made their own deal and that is okay - the dealer wasn't pointing a gun at them.

shrubs
09-18-2012, 03:55 PM
I understand. I asked ASK in C-Bus and they told be they can't get any 12 Limited (white or Lava). In fact, no one has them anymore. :roflblack:

So we left and while in the lot, I called Honda East. They had one in the showroom. After a few calls back and forth, I bought the one White Limited. :thumbup:

Knarfoh
09-19-2012, 04:12 AM
I understand. I asked ASK in C-Bus and they told be they can't get any 12 Limited (white or Lava). In fact, no one has them anymore. So we left and while in the lot, I called Honda East. They had one in the showroom. After a few calls back and forth, I bought the one White Limited.
Some dealers (car, motorcycle, boat, etc.) use the "we can't get any" because (1) it's true or (2) we would rather push something we already have in stock and we need to create the impression that what you want isn't available here or anywhere. It is always a mistake for a dealer to say "no one has them anymore" especially when people like you easily find it somewhere else. Then you posted what they said and it makes them look like liars at worst or uninformed at best. Their mistake because others will read what you said and be leery of dealing with them. If it is true that they are unable to secure anymore of the white unlimiteds, they should just say that and not try to speak for the entire Can-Am dealer population.

I am not sure where you live, but originally you were shopping in Columbus. When you say Honda East, there are dozens of dealerships across the country (mostly car dealers) with that name. I assumed you meant Honda East in Toledo because in another post you talk about a 3 hour drive.

I also read your profile and it said you were retired. Just like me, you have the time to travel the distance to get what you want. With the internet and the cell phone, it is so easy to check prices, availability, etc. that if you are willing to drive the distance, the dealer should be savvy enough to understand that and try to maintain your business if they are serious. If not serious - they shouldn't make any representations that aren't true to try to get you to buy something different then what you really want.

shrubs
09-22-2012, 04:39 AM
It was indeed Honda East in Toledo - My bad. I'm retired from the AF but I'm not retired retired. Still working at Wright Patterson AFB.

In today's world of the internet and the wealth of knowledge out one's finger tips, dealers have to be careful with what they say or do. Still, we as the consumer have to take the data we have out our finger tips and wade out the garbage. Many people only post or write when they aren't happy. I'm sure that for every one that posts, there's a myriad more who are.

Life is simple, people complicate it. :ohyea: