PDA

View Full Version : RS to RT migraton

Y-me
04-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Thinking of trading in my RS-S towards some version of the big daddy RT.
Would like to hear for others who have made the switch.
Any regrets? :dontknow:

Thx,
Y

ARtraveler
04-26-2012, 11:28 AM
No regrets whatsoever. I bought the 2008 when only the GS manual was available. I farkeled it up with over $6,000 in accesories to make it a touring bike like the RT is.

Did the same when the SE5's came out in 2009. Farkeled that one with $6,000 in accessories and its still running after more than 25,000 miles.

Seat, windshield, handlebar risers, saddle bags, trunk, lights etc. etc. It was a great bike, but never felt like a tourer. I put 23,000 miles on it before trading it off on the first RT-S. I bought a fully loaded premier edition #474. I currently have 22,000 miles on this ryde.

If you want a sportier, snappier bike the RS is the way to go.

If you want the ameneties of a touring bike--the RT version is the way to go. I always wanted a Gold Wing--but did not like trying to heft the size around. The RT is just as good, or better than a Gold Wing--but only has half the engine--my only complaint. The adjustable suspension, heated grips, electric windshield, built in storage--etc., makes the RT the way to go.

I have not been unhappy at all with the switch.

Bob Denman
04-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Don't mention this around Randy or he's liable to go..." :yikes: " :roflblack:

ARtraveler
04-26-2012, 11:43 AM
I think Randy might even agree. The RS is a sporty bike and the RT is for us "geezers" who need all them comforts. :roflblack:

SpydherLuv
04-26-2012, 11:50 AM
I made the switch from '09 GS Manual to a '11 RT-S SE and have never looked back - no regrets at all. I didn't put as much money into it as akspyderman, but I did put over $1,000 into it before deciding that I should just get an RT and be done with it. I do miss the sportiness of the GS in the twisties, but considering all of the other amenities I have on the RT, I can accept the sacrifice.
If you can't decide, heck, get both! :2thumbs: I know a few folks who have a GS/RS and an RT and ride whichever one suits their needs.
Good luck with your decision.

harddrive
04-26-2012, 02:44 PM
I traded a 08 GS manual for my 2010 RT AC manual. I like both, but when you ride 2 up most of the time, the RT is the way to go.

One day we will get my wife a spyder, probably a RS SE5.

Bob Denman
04-26-2012, 02:46 PM
I think Randy might even agree. The RS is a sporty bike and the RT is for us "geezers" who need all them comforts. :roflblack:
You got that right!
:2thumbs:
:roflblack:

Clicker1944
04-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Feb 6th I traded my 2009 RS/GS for a new 2011 RTS. Had 6,400 trouble free miles on the RS just 2 minor problems covered by warranty. As much as we loved the RS both I and my wife are totally happy with the RTS. Have put on 2,150 miles since picking her up and love every minute of every ride. Never thought there would be such a pleasing difference especially for your passenger. Do it, you will not regret it.

SporterSpider
04-26-2012, 04:35 PM
I have also been thinking about trading up from an RS to an RT. I have a 2010 RS SE5 that I purchased new last year and have 6000 mi. on it. I really enjoy it. I have been doing longer and longer day rides (350 mi. last one) and will be going farther on the next rides. My question is since I enjoy riding can you get the RS comfortable enought to do longer rides or, will I have to break down and by an RT for the longer rides. I did not consider purchasing an RT when I was at the dealership because I did not want to spend that much money on something I might not like and not ride as much as my Harley WOW was I WRONG. Thanks, Stan

Bob Denman
04-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Someone had better go wake Randy up before he's the last guy on the Planet with a GS... :roflblack:

fastfraser
04-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Traded-up 20,000 miles ago and miss the sportiness of the RS. But the RTS is built for the cruise in terms of comfort, storage and appearance .Love them both but for different reasons .:dontknow:

arntufun
04-26-2012, 06:51 PM
Thinking of trading in my RS-S towards some version of the big daddy RT.
Would like to hear for others who have made the switch.
Any regrets? :dontknow:

Thx,
Y

You might be the only New Yorker besides Bob that wants an RT. :yikes:

Spyderman990-RS
Arntufun- RS
Rnet- RS
Mosslips- RS
Wyliec- RS
Mowin-RS
SpyderJockey-RS
Dannymax- RS
Hdrider337-RS
Roger-RS
Bob Denman- RT :banghead:

Congrats if you want the RT, it's a nice ride. :thumbup:

wolfee
04-26-2012, 11:25 PM
I just traded my rs in on an rt and am now wishing that I had done it sooner.

Bill

Bob Denman
04-27-2012, 06:47 AM
You might be the only New Yorker besides Bob that wants an RT. :yikes:

Spyderman990-RS
Arntufun- RS
Rnet- RS
Mosslips- RS
Wyliec- RS
Mowin-RS
SpyderJockey-RS
Dannymax- RS