PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar riser question

AKSpyderRyder
04-22-2012, 01:21 AM
Hello Ladies!
Bought my 2009 SE5 in Feb. and have just over 1000 miles on it. Not bad considering I live in Alaska. :ohyea:
Do any of you have the handle bar risers or kits that move the handlebars up and back? I'd like to know if you feel they make a difference and if the up and back kits are worth it.
I am 5'10".
Appreciate the help!

SPYD1
04-22-2012, 07:10 AM
I am not a lady but...they are well worth the money. I am much more comfortable and the bike also steers easier.

DynamoBT
04-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Helibars also an option. Don't have to cut the handlebars to install. I'm 5'4" and it's plenty comfortable for me.

Rayelljay
04-22-2012, 09:43 AM
I have the Kewlmetal adjustable risers installed on my RS....a mite 'spensive but well worth it IMO.

hrbeta
04-22-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm a 5'9" guy and I highly recommend those risers, they work great 👍

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AutumnCat
04-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Definitely! I am 5'8" and have the KewlMetal Adjustable Risers on my '09 SE5.
I thought I wouldn't care for how they look - but, they are extremely functional AND look good on my bike. I don't think they look out of place. Really made my ride a lot nicer.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21723&d=1271528062

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21725&d=1271528062

AKSpyderRyder
04-23-2012, 03:36 PM
AutumnCat -I am also leery of how the Kewlmetal risers look without getting to see them in person.

DynamoBT- I didn't realize you have to cut the handlebars to install them. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like there are several that require cutting. :yikes:

Does anyone have the Street Magic Easy Riders kit?

Thank you all for taking the time to help out another ryder! :2thumbs:

Rayelljay
04-23-2012, 06:54 PM
I have the Street magic riser kit and I had problems with getting enough slack for proper operation. Most folks here have them installed with no problem but I wasn't comfortable with the lack of slack. Bear in mind I'd just installed a Corbin modular seat too so I was sitting a little lower too.
To get enough pullback the clutch reservoir was tilted too much (2010 RS SM5).
The Kewlmetal adjustable risers took care of all that...the vertical portion of the assembly allowed more alternatives in re-routing wiring and cables. The installation introduced about 2" of initial pullback before applying any vertical adjustment.
My overall conclusion is that the Street Magic system would have been too much lift and I am 5'9".

Dragonryder
04-25-2012, 10:56 AM
I have been researching online for the handle bar risers. There are several different options. The most affordable I have found is on customdynamics.com. They have 4 or 4.5" risers. Their instructions are very easy to follow. The price on the set is $129 and they come in black or silver. Rivco has a similar design for $199. Kewl metal wants over $300 and I didn't think their version was as sleek ( a personal thing). Kewl metal also had a replacement handle bar in 3 sizes for much less but the labor involved in replacing it was a little much for me.

I hope this helps.

Y Blue
04-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Just some thoughts

I'm a little over 5'8" and got the Kewl Metal 7" risers and think they are a touch too much for me. I probably should have gone with the 5" instead as my husband has them with the 1" BRP riser under it and it's better for my riding preference.

I like to ride fast and chew up the twisties and find the 7" has me sitting up a bit more than I want for that. For touring type riding though the 7" is good.

I could not stand the stock center console at all. So happy to have that weird chunk of dull metal off my bike.

Jharpo
05-13-2012, 10:26 AM
:bbq:LI love my 4" risers. I 'm 5'9" and they make everything so much more comfortable.
Hello Ladies!
Bought my 2009 SE5 in Feb. and have just over 1000 miles on it. Not bad considering I live in Alaska. :ohyea:
Do any of you have the handle bar risers or kits that move the handlebars up and back? I'd like to know if you feel they make a difference and if the up and back kits are worth it.
I am 5'10".
Appreciate the help!

Dragonryder
05-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Hello Ladies!
I am 5'10".
Appreciate the help!

I just finished installing risers on my bike. You can see the details of all the options in a thread on the for sale forum. I bought dog bones at rustyriders.com for $32 delivered and got an extra bar at a local welding/fabrication shop for $2 so I got great 4" risers for $34 total and was able to impress my hubby by doing it all myself!

deligrl
08-13-2012, 05:49 PM
I just purchased the Helibar riser. I will say they work great for me. I am 5'10 and not only a more comfortable ride I no longer have the issue of my throttle hand going numb.

SpyderGirl
08-24-2012, 08:00 PM
I have the 1" BRP riser with the 4" risers from ESI and they are perfect for me! Most will say you can't put a 4" riser on bars that already have the 1" block, but I have managed to do it on two different Spyders. The cables will reach, just takes some finesse.

CWilber
09-09-2012, 08:48 AM
With the risers I found that it put my hands right smack in the middle of where I wanted my mirrors so I got the mirrors and everything is perfect!