PDA

View Full Version : Brand new lady spyder lover!

kfriedrichs
04-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Hi ladies!

So happy to have found this forum. I have had my motorcycle license for 3 years now, but have just been too scared to really ride. I owned a Suzuki S40 boulevard - and my poor hubby had to keep taking it out to "keep the wet stuff wet". I hated taking that bike out because of the tippy-ness at slow speeds.

We started thinking that I needed a new bike - maybe one with a more standard riding stance. While at the dealer, we started looking at the Spyder. I threw a leg over, and viola! How comfortable! Took it for a test ride, and wow! This motorcycle stuff is FUN!

Am now having the reverse problem - am a little scared at faster speeds. Take a curve and it feels like you're going to fly off the bike. Do you ladies have any good tips for how to counteract that feeling?

I traded in the Suzuki and am going to pick up my 2009 GS Phantom late next week. Can't wait!

Anyway, looking forward to chatting with you ladies.

Best, Kate

SpyderMeLucky
04-21-2012, 08:53 PM
:2thumbs: Welcome to this site!!!! :2thumbs: You're gonna love it.:clap:

It's simply the best place to find information, make friends, and learn about the spyder.

I have an RS. When I first started riding it, I also had that same feeling. What I do, can't speak for anyone else, is I lean into the curve (as if I was on a 2 wheeled bike)--but not AS much. It gave me the equilibrium I needed to feel comfortable. The more curve, the more lean. Try it out and see if it helps. :ohyea::ohyea:

Again welcome!!

lifesaver4you
04-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Hello Kate,
I also had that same Boulevard in 2005. I like it but I just got to where I wouldnt ride because I was afraid to stalling at a light or stop sign. I finally sold it in 2007.
Just 3 weeks ago I purchased the Spyder. OMG, I really enjoy it. I have riden more in 3 weeks then I did in 2 yrs of the other one. I think that the reverse is the best thing. Accelerate slowly and it will be fine. As far as turning corner or going around curves, what I have found that works great for me is.............if you are turning right your right hand is closer to your body and your left hand is pushing toward that direction. If you will lean forward towards your left hand you wont feel like your about to fly off. Vise versa if your turning the other way. I hope this make since to you. You could also view U Tube's 'Safety Spyder Video'. I believe it shows and talks about the turns.
I hope this helps.
Meladee

Hi ladies!

So happy to have found this forum. I have had my motorcycle license for 3 years now, but have just been too scared to really ride. I owned a Suzuki S40 boulevard - and my poor hubby had to keep taking it out to "keep the wet stuff wet". I hated taking that bike out because of the tippy-ness at slow speeds.

We started thinking that I needed a new bike - maybe one with a more standard riding stance. While at the dealer, we started looking at the Spyder. I threw a leg over, and viola! How comfortable! Took it for a test ride, and wow! This motorcycle stuff is FUN!

Am now having the reverse problem - am a little scared at faster speeds. Take a curve and it feels like you're going to fly off the bike. Do you ladies have any good tips for how to counteract that feeling?

I traded in the Suzuki and am going to pick up my 2009 GS Phantom late next week. Can't wait!

Best, Kate

dilyles
04-21-2012, 11:49 PM
:welcome:
I too lean as if I was on a 2 wheeler in slight curves. However, I've ridden 4 wheelers all my life and have logged more miles on the ATV than any street bike and also have rode horses my entire life. I use the experience from those on my spyder. I grip with my legs as if going around a barrel on a horse. Also with the 4 wheeler it's more of shifting your body weight than leaning. In sharper curves I grip with my legs and shift my weight rather than lean.
It's really just about getting comfortable on the bike. Different things work for different folks. I would suggest going to a large, empty parking lot and try the different suggestions on here. I went out to our community college one Sunday when the were closed. I weaved and turned, practiced quick stops, and all the other moves I could think of at the time. It really helped me a lot and I got feel for my Sypder in a safe traffic free area.

Enjoy your new ride.
Check out the Girls on Sypders page on facebook as well. A lot of great gals out there ryding.

CyncySpyder
04-22-2012, 12:12 AM
:welcome: & :congrats: We've found it best when taking higher speed corners to lower our center of gravity and putting my chin over my knuckles leaning into the turn. Also, bracing with yur foot on the peg leading into yur turn, and gripping the seat with yur knees, all awhile, keep'n a loose grip on the handlebars. All these tips have worked for Teddy & I for the past 32,000+ :pmiles of Smiles:D Hope they do for you as well:thumbup: Enjoy the Ryde:2thumbs:

J. Mark
04-22-2012, 04:51 AM

RydeOn3Wyfe
04-22-2012, 06:36 AM
I know how you mean. Taking baby steps to what makes you comfortable.We started riding our city streets first and now we are comfortable on all roads and highways. As far as the turns it is something that you have to feel comfortable ,yourself. The more you ride the more fun you will have and confidence will come.
I was not in a hurry to master all in a short period of time. Just RIDE and RIDE and enjoy what comes with the Can-Am.
:yes:By the way i was not young when i started riding motorcycle's and i am turning 64 in May.
:clap:

SpyderMeLucky
04-22-2012, 06:42 AM
I too lean as if I was on a 2 wheeler in slight curves. However, I've ridden 4 wheelers all my life and have logged more miles on the ATV than any street bike and also have rode horses my entire life. I use the experience from those on my spyder. I grip with my legs as if going around a barrel on a horse. Also with the 4 wheeler it's more of shifting your body weight than leaning. In sharper curves I grip with my legs and shift my weight rather than lean.
It's really just about getting comfortable on the bike. Different things work for different folks. I would suggest going to a large, empty parking lot and try the different suggestions on here. I went out to our community college one Sunday when the were closed. I weaved and turned, practiced quick stops, and all the other moves I could think of at the time. It really helped me a lot and I got feel for my Sypder in a safe traffic free area.

Enjoy your new ride.
Check out the Girls on Sypders page on facebook as well. A lot of great gals out there ryding.

This is the best description of how I feel when I ride. As dilyles said and I didn't realize it, I was doing all of what she wrote, with the lean (I knew it wasn't as much as a regular 2-wheel), the grip on the legs, and the shift in the weight.

The parking lot idea is also a great suggestion.

Ryde safe!

kfriedrichs
04-22-2012, 07:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, I am just sooo excited! The parking lot tip is a great idea - there is a church about 5 blocks from where we live, I will be spending some good time there, I think. I already told my husband he has to drive it home from the dealer - no freeways for me, yet!

I am already shopping around for accessories.. top of my list is somehow changing the color. I really, really wanted the 2012 RS in green, but just couldn't justify doling out the $$ when I got such a great deal on a used 2009 with almost no miles. Plus it already has the larger windshield, fog lights, passenger backrest, and handlebar riser.

Have any of you gone the "wrap" route on your spyders? There are some super slick ones out there, just didn't know how well they held up. According to the companies, of course, they hold up perfectly, but would rather hear that from someone who isn't trying to sell me something LOL.

OP Spyder
04-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Hi! :welcome:

Check out this post on the forum from GnA. I thought it was really great advice. :bowdown:
I think it helps get you in the best position for the turn AND it reminds you to use your legs which is easy to forget when you are ryding a three wheeler.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?36499-Proper-turning-on-a-Spyder-RT&p=418575&viewfull=1#post418575

ThreeFeet
04-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Hi ladies!

Best, Kate:welcome::congrats:I had a GS SE5 to start with and it was a fun ryde to say the least. I even had a hitch put on her and got the BRP 622 trailer ( which I still have and use frquently) I also had problems with corners esp with the trailer on; Really got me when the trailer felt like it took over the steering. BUT over came that and now have an RT and it's back to getting around corners!!! The RT being a heavier bike, BUT it's still lean lean lean and easy on the push pull, lots of times the slant of the road will help you get around those corners. THEN there's the flat ones,,, just hang on and lean!!! Forget about keeping up with the 2 wheelers They ALWAYS :yikes:can take the corners faster. WE have essentially a car/ computer on wheels with out all that metal!!! and just go practice and LEAN!!! There's for girls foum on here somewhere too. If you want to post or what ever. But this site gets ya the best info. And the BEST FUNNIES going!!! These folks have a humerous side that is unequalled!!!anywhere.nojoke:roflblack:

kfriedrichs
04-30-2012, 09:13 PM
All, thanks so much. Finally got out on my RS tonight... and WOW what a blast! I was whipping around the parking lot in no time, decided to take to the streets and just had a total blast. The leaning thing really helped, thank you! Can't wait to get out again tomorrow. Where oh where was this bike these past years!? Can't believe I wasted all that time, trying to make the little Suzuki work for me!

Kate