PDA

View Full Version : UP IN FLAMES!!!

pzim
04-21-2012, 07:31 PM
I was coming home today from a spyder seminar on "How to maintain your spyder" at our local dealer, As I arrived home I smelled a new oder I was not used to so I looked down at my feet to see FLAMNES COMING OUT FROM UNDER MY SPYDER!!!!!, So once I got my feet out from the flames I got my garage door open went for the fire extinguiiser and stared blasting into the vents to get the fire out. Any others of you who might have had this happen, I would like to hear how you proceeded with BRP and BEST and Insurance.

Fire Joe
04-21-2012, 07:36 PM
I was coming home today from a spyder seminar on "How to maintain your spyder" at our local dealer, As I arrived home I smelled a new oder I was not used to so I looked down at my feet to see FLAMNES COMING OUT FROM UNDER MY SPYDER!!!!!, So once I got my feet out from the flames I got my garage door open went for the fire extinguiiser and stared blasting into the vents to get the fire out. Any others of you who might have had this happen, I would like to hear how you proceeded with BRP and BEST and Insurance.

Sadly I do have experience with this. Mine went up in smoke and flames going on 2 years ago. Handled everything through my insurance company and BRP. Luckily enough, the fire got put out soon enough to where my Spyder was repairable.

Hope all turns out well for you and your ride. Keep us posted please as to what may be the possible cause and above all, glad to hear you are ok.

Jeriatric
04-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Wow! Has to be frustrating to say the least. Keep us posted.

Spy+
04-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Sadly I do have experience with this. Mine went up in smoke and flames going on 2 years ago. Handled everything through my insurance company and BRP. Luckily enough, the fire got put out soon enough to where my Spyder was repairable.

Hope all turns out well for you and your ride. Keep us posted please as to what may be the possible cause and above all, glad to hear you are ok.

What caused the fire??

Firefly
04-21-2012, 07:57 PM

Would be curious to know what model, what year, what mods, etc....

Fire Joe
04-21-2012, 07:57 PM
What caused the fire??

It was determined that the evap canister caused it. That is according to my insurance company.

Lamonster
04-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Sorry to hear this. Let us know how it turns out.

pzim
04-21-2012, 08:06 PM
It WAS a 2008rs wiith no engine mods, no juice box or special air cleaners, Had about a half tank of gas and I never top off the tank, after it was put out had a large very black spot under right side and when I pushed it up into the drive way to get it out of the street it left a trail of tiny little black balls, I am not touching the panels until after insurance company has a look.

Big Arm
04-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. Keep us posted, please.
Hope it all works out well for you. :pray:

daveinva
04-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Luckily enough, the fire got put out soon enough to where my Spyder was repairable.

To be honest, if my Spyder ever caught on fire... I'd probably let it burn.

Oooh, oooh, sign me up for the insurance company *repairing* my torched vehicle... not.

Good luck... :pray:

Fire Joe
04-21-2012, 08:23 PM

Oooh, oooh, sign me up for the insurance company *repairing* my torched vehicle... not.

Thanks but no luck was needed. Bike has been repaired for going on two years now and all is more than well. Insurance company paid for the repair, they didn't do the repairs themselves. I had Cowtown for that and with Cowtown, you just can't go wrong

Bob Denman
04-22-2012, 08:14 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_49.gif :yikes: Is the evap. canister usually the source of these episodes? :shocked: What do we need to do to reduce the chance of this happening to our Spyders?
PZ,
I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. YOur quick work with the extinguisher will hopefully help to make this an easier experience from which to recover. :thumbup:

JCSMOKE
04-22-2012, 08:21 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_49.gif :yikes: Is the evap. canister usually the source of these episodes? :shocked: What do we need to do to reduce the chance of this happening to our Spyders?
PZ,
I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. YOur quick work with the extinguisher will hopefully help to make this an easier experience from which to recover. :thumbup:
The best way I know of to reduce the chances of this happening is to drain all the fuel from the bike and fill it with water, add salt and sugar, then turn it on and crank away:roflblack:. Sorry it's early and I am no help before breakfast.

Bob Denman
04-22-2012, 08:56 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_13_5.gif Feeling any better?? :roflblack:

daveinva
04-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks but no luck was needed. Bike has been repaired for going on two years now and all is more than well. Insurance company paid for the repair, they didn't do the repairs themselves. I had Cowtown for that and with Cowtown, you just can't go wrong

Oops, meant to add "good luck to pzim"...

Still, I think that there are some accidents/damages where even if they CAN be fixed, I'd prefer to have my bike totaled instead of repaired-- fire, frame damage, etc.

Fire Joe
04-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Oops, meant to add "good luck to pzim"...

Still, I think that there are some accidents/damages where even if they CAN be fixed, I'd prefer to have my bike totaled instead of repaired-- fire, frame damage, etc.

I agree with you but normally the first instinct is to try and put it out which was able to be done in my case and it seems the same for pzim. I know not all of us are blessed with having such a great dealer like Cowtown nearby as well and that helps is going a long way knowing that if a bike that has been through such an incident that it can be fixed and fixed the right way.

Bob Denman
04-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Total rebuild: complete with frame here... :2thumbs: I would not have been able to replace my bike had it been totalled... :shocked:
As an insurance guy; it's pretty much always best to try and prevent whatever damage you can... In a total loss they'll pay you based on actual cash value; but if they repair it, then it's got to be right and done to your satisfaction! :thumbup:

MarkLawson
04-22-2012, 10:46 AM
It WAS a 2008rs wiith no engine mods, no juice box or special air cleaners, Had about a half tank of gas and I never top off the tank, after it was put out had a large very black spot under right side and when I pushed it up into the drive way to get it out of the street it left a trail of tiny little black balls, I am not touching the panels until after insurance company has a look.

Curious how the insurance company determined it was the evaporator canister if they haven't looked at it yet...

Fire Joe
04-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Curious how the insurance company determined it was the evaporator canister if they haven't looked at it yet...

It was the evap canister that caused my fire.

SpydherLuv
04-22-2012, 11:48 AM
It was great meeting you at the seminar yesterday. I'm sorry to hear about this - what a bummer! It'll be interesting to find out what caused it, so please keep us posted.
Give Elk Grove Power Sports a call tomorrow and talk to Jamie or Bryan, it might be a good idea to have someone with experience look at in in addition to the insurance adjuster to ensure the issue is diagnosed correctly.
Good Luck!

pzim
04-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Have already talked to insurance and to Bryan at Elk Grove power sports, I hope they are as good as cowtown at the repairs

shrevespyder
04-22-2012, 10:03 PM
I had a 2009 rs se5 a year ago and it caught fire while i was riding it.last time i heard the techs flew in from brp and was thinking it was a throttle body issue. i would raise hell if they tryed to repair a damaged bike! you did not buy it damaged or previously burnt up. my insurance co.paid me full price for it and i bought a new one. whee heww !no problems! and let your insurance deal with it thats what you pay them for! good luck

pzim
04-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Just out of curiosity what insurance did you have? I will see how the insurance co will handle it soon, they are suppose to contact me on Monday it tuesday

mastertek2000
04-23-2012, 01:49 PM

i second that one let it burn get a new sorry for your loss glad no one got hurt

Sny
04-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Is the evap. canister usually the source of these episodes? :shocked: What do we need to do to reduce the chance of this happening to our Spyders?
I can't say anything one way or the other about how often the evap canister causes fires, I suspect not very often.

But if it keeps you up at night you can always remove it :coffee: It's really only necessary to qualify for the manufacturing regulations in California. Other states generally don't have this requirement on a motorcycle. Of course I'm no legal expert.

Pz, sorry to hear about this, glad no one was hurt. I used to worry about it going up in flames in the garage while I was asleep or away from home and burning the whole place down.

Good insurance will take care of these things. Keep the morbidly curious among us informed.

pzim
04-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Insurance company comes to see the bike in the morning, I will keep you all up to date

Bob Denman
04-25-2012, 07:05 AM
Good Luck! :thumbup: :pray:

Desert Spyder
04-25-2012, 09:07 AM
We had an interesting situation in our group on the way to Spyderfest. We had just finished gassing up somewhere and Spyderanne1 bike started pouring gas out around the gas cap when as she tried starting it up. Turned out the vent was stuck on the cap. One of our group had some wd40 and squirted it in the cap. The cap was tapped lightly and the vent returned to its proper position. Problem solved. Had that gas splashed on a hot exhaust manifold it could very well catch fire .

Bob Denman
04-25-2012, 09:57 AM
:yikes: Good catch! :thumbup: We sure don't like seeing stories about unanticipated cookouts with a Spyder being the guest of honor! :shocked:

chris56
04-25-2012, 11:48 AM

there are a lot of small mods which should have done from the dealer(s) in this 4 years .. who made the service in this time ?