PDA

View Full Version : New kid on the block

Jeriatric
04-20-2012, 01:19 AM
First things first. What a great site! Very edjercational :firstplace: Thanks lamonster, and all who are so willing to share their knowledge. OK enough already. I know :opps:

Second trip to my local dealer today. As promised on my first visit last week they had just rolled a freshly assembled 2012 RT Limited Lava onto the showroom floor. Nice, very nice. Not sure we fit each other very well though. Not because of color but, because I'm 6' 4" 220 with an inseam of a little over 36". My knees extend well beyond the seat rub pads(?), and since my arms are as long as my legs :) the bars seemed a bit to close. Perhaps that can all be cured by opting for the comfort seat. Something they don't stock. ? Tall guys chime in please :)

Talked with the service manager about their service fees. Hourly rate 85.00 and they charge 400.00 for each service 600m, 3000m, 6000m, 9000m and 12000. Three of the four hundred is labor cost, with the other hundred covering parts (oil and filters).

Lots to consider tho. This is a NEW dealer...well kinda. They have two other stores in neighboring towns and recently bought out a local dealer. Of their three stores, this is their only Spyder store. Tho they do sell Can Am at the other locations. That said, they seem to have their act together. As all of you have repeated over and over and we newbies hear loud and clear - (the dealership will make or break the experience). My gut says they are a very professional group of folks. Time will tell, and I'm in no hurry to pull the trigger. Got that out of my system years ago :)

Oh too, if you're lauging at my avatar..... I actually ride one of those. They're fun too.

Jer

docdoru
04-20-2012, 03:44 AM
:welcome:

Saluda
04-20-2012, 04:21 AM
Welcome.

J. Mark
04-20-2012, 04:32 AM
Glad to have you aboard. When you negotiate your deal...be sure to at least ask for a permanent discount for all parts and service. Many dealers will put you in the computer for a discount of 10-15 percent for all future parts and service.

fastfraser
04-20-2012, 04:59 AM
:welcome: Spyder lovers. If you are the least bit handy and with the help of a shop manual you will save yourself a ton of cash (to spend on mods ) by doing it yourself as many do .

MarkLawson
04-20-2012, 05:08 AM
Welcome to SpyderLovers!

murphybrown
04-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Not tall enough to answer your ?'s..but I know there are several satisfied Spyderlovers with your height..definitely know the weight would not create any additional mods to accomodate..again welcome to Spyderlovers you are in the right place to get your ?'s answered and lots and lots of opinions to form your own answers...
Again welcome..:clap:

Marker
04-20-2012, 09:07 AM
:welcome:

CyncySpyder
04-20-2012, 09:19 AM
:welcome: Your going down the right road & have much more will-power than Teddy & I:bowdown: Doing your homework, as you are, should greatly help in your decision. I'm only 5'9, so I can't offer advice for you there, tho I'm sure many of our taller ryders will chime in soon. :thumbup: Its one helluva :yes:FUN:yes: ryde, once you get one, very addictive :firstplace::clap:GOOD LUCK ;)

Bob Denman
04-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Welcome to the party! :ohyea::yes::ohyea::yes:

ARtraveler
04-20-2012, 10:05 AM
:welcome::congrats: on the new ryde. :2thumbs:

ThreeFeet
04-20-2012, 10:28 AM
First things first. What a great site! Very edjercational :firstplace: Thanks lamonster, and all who are so willing to share their knowledge. OK enough already. I know :opps:

Second trip to my local dealer today. As promised on my first visit last week they had just rolled a freshly assembled 2012 RT Limited Lava onto the showroom floor. Nice, very nice. Not sure we fit each other very well though. Not because of color but, because I'm 6' 4" 220 with an inseam of a little over 36". My knees extend well beyond the seat rub pads(?), and since my arms are as long as my legs :) the bars seemed a bit to close. Perhaps that can all be cured by opting for the cumfort seat. Something they don't stock. ? Tall guys chime in please :)

Talked with the service manager about their service fees. Hourly rate 85.00 and they charge 400.00 for each service 600m, 3000m, 6000m, 9000m and 12000. Three of the four hundred is labor cost, with the other hundred covering parts (oil and filters).

Lots to consider tho. This is a NEW dealer...well kinda. They have two other stores in neighboring towns and recently bought out a local dealer. Of their three stores, this is their only Spyder store. Tho they do sell Can Am at the other locations. That said, they seem to have their act together. As all of you have repeated over and over and we newbies hear loud and clear - (the dealership will make or break the experience). My gut says they are a very professional group of folks. Time will tell, and I'm in no hurry to pull the trigger. Got that out of my system years ago :)

Oh too, if you're lauging at my avatar..... I actually ride one of those. They're fun too.

Jer ONE serious ? to ask is to see the Mechanics papers on where they got their training. If they haven't been sent to Wi for their training I would look some place else for help. Kevin in Cowtown has his (I think) masters paper fromBRP and they train the mechs in Wausau Wi. Check out the mechanics the sales people will tell you anything you want to hear.

wyliec
04-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Welcome aboard and their is someone else on here who drives a recumbent bike; isn't that what your avatar is called? However, if I had extra money laying around, I'd prefer a handcycle.

Jeriatric
04-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes.

SPYD1
04-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Welcome and enjoy:yes::yes::yes: