PDA

View Full Version : New helmet law

rhansen309
04-19-2012, 08:32 PM
How many Michigan riders are going without a helmet? I know my wife and I will always be wearing a helmet.

bitsy224m
04-19-2012, 08:44 PM
MINE WILL BE STAYING ON.....MY HEAD....IN MY TRAVELS SINCE THE LAW PASSED THE VERY FIRST DAY I SAW SEVERAL RIDERS WITHOUT THEIR HELMETS...BUT I MUST SAY I HAVE SEEN MORE RIDERS WITH HELMETS THAN WITHOUT.....;)

dancogan
04-20-2012, 05:48 AM
... I know my wife and I will always be wearing a helmet.

:agree: I've been pleasantly surprised at the number of riders that still wear their helmets.

NancysToy
04-20-2012, 07:27 AM
:agree: I've been pleasantly surprised at the number of riders that still wear their helmets.
I've been quite disappointed around here. Saw a BMW rider the other day who was not only not wearing a helmet, but he had on a hoodie that blocked his view when he turned his head! Then he cut the light when it changed, and turned in front of traffic. I wonder if the hoodie said "I'm a statistic waiting to happen."

poorboy1942
04-20-2012, 07:54 AM
I will continue to use mine. What little brain that I have, I would like to keep...

Bob

SPYD1
04-20-2012, 07:39 PM
My wife says I will wear mine too:D:D:D

RTaz
04-21-2012, 07:09 AM
I'm glad it's my choice.

Spydigirl
04-26-2012, 08:02 PM
I will continue to wear my helmet! :)

hrbeta
04-27-2012, 08:44 AM
I'm glad it's my choice.

I second that thought... I wear mine because I choose to, not because the Gov tells me to... 😁

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SPYD1
04-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Let me tell you about this law...while I am ok with someone who doesn't want to wear a helmet, I just don't want to pay for them to have this right. I am hearing insurance rates will rise and my company is questioning the insurance company on the legality of making motorcyclists who work here carry a rider on their policy to cover medical costs so they don't have to. The major insurers aren't ready for this yet, in Michigan, as the law caught them by surprise. The most medical coverage that can be carried by an individual right now is $50k through my insurance agency. They are working on increasing that. Many companies people are working for now are having their team members carry major medical on their vehicles (cars) and that pays if you are in an accident. In short the premium will naturally rise significantly as did other states and in some case the companies, some work for, will make you carry med insurance on your bike policy, once it is available. This will come at a significant increase to what some pay now.

Firefly
04-27-2012, 12:28 PM
My brain... my choice. Simple as that. If my insurance wants to charge me more-- they have that right. IF they raise all rates.. it's because of greed.

Not wearing a helmet is stupid... but we should have the right to be stupid.

I've never seen any stats that show medical costs will go up. Many without helmets will die instead of being kept on life support for 20 years.

Note--- in Michigan if you get into a MC accident that involves a car, then you are covered under our no-fault, no limit medical coverage. Hopefully our govenor doesn't allow limits on that coverage.

Now, if you get into a MC accident that doesn't involve a car.... your medical benefits are not unlimited and you could have serious problems getting things paid for.

I've ridden without my helmet in Michigan, got the extra insurance to be legal.... and while I don't see myself doing it a lot..... I will do it from time to time.

My brain .... my choice.

SPYD1
04-27-2012, 12:45 PM
My brain... my choice. Simple as that. If my insurance wants to charge me more-- they have that right. IF they raise all rates.. it's because of greed.

I've never seen any stats that show medical costs will go up. Many without helmets will die instead of being kept on life support for 20 years.

Note--- in Michigan if you get into a MC accident that involves a car, then you are covered under our no-fault, no limit medical coverage. Hopefully our govenor doesn't allow limits on that coverage.

Now, if you get into a MC accident that doesn't involve a car.... your medical benefits are not unlimited and you could have serious problems getting things paid for.

I've ridden without my helmet in Michigan, got the extra insurance to be legal.... and while I don't see myself doing it a lot..... I will do it from time to time.

My brain .... my choice.

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/helmet_use.html

RTaz
04-27-2012, 02:01 PM
My personal thoughts on the insurance end is simple, in the good old USA there are 50 states, I'll bet in all 50 states there are people who ride motorcycles also in all 50 states there are insurance companies taking money from people who wish to ride motorcycles. Now is the new law in Michigan taking the insurance companies by surprise? Well not if they have been doing it in the other states, is Michigan special because of no-fault ? not really their are 8 other states that have no-fault and I am sure there are people that ride in those states too. So here is what I think , I believe that in the beginning Insurance companies are going to screw everyone they can for as long as they can get away with it until they can make as much money as possible in as short of time as possible. Then competition will start taking over and they will start eating each other up until rates come back down to a reasonable rate THEN the State politicians will come in and screw things up again so we can start all over again.
Helmet law or no helmet law our rates have been going up for years in some of our neighboring states insurance rates are half of what we pay and in others its more. What really matters is what are you getting for the amount you pay? If my rate goes to high I will switch companies in a second, it is a competition you know. Right now I have 5 motorcycles that I insure with full coverage. I pay more for the catastrophic and uninsured motorist then I do the actual insurance which I think is bs since I can't claim against either one because I ride a motorcycle, so if I blow out a tire or have a deer jump out and send me into a ditch I'm screwed. Anytime you add Insurance companies (largest lobbyist group in Michigan ) and politicians (largest money sucking group in Michigan) put them in a room together I guarantee your screwed. Then add a bunch of lame brains that think they know whats good for everyone and pass laws to protect us from ourselves I can go on and on but you know what that's why I ride motorcycles to begin with to get away from all this crap.

So let me finish by saying this.
1) If you want to ride then ride.
2) If you want to ride with only people that wear helmets then do that.
3) If you don't want to pay the cost of riding your motorcycle then sell it.
4) I'm 58 yrs old been riding since I was a kid, some people will never understand why and I can't explain it to them all I can do is vote them out. lol

btcherm
09-10-2012, 08:59 AM
I will continue to wear my helmet:doorag::doorag::doorag:

Arr MiHardies
09-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Not the helmet debate again...

MarkLawson
09-10-2012, 11:31 AM
The law my wife laid down supersedes any state law. I will be wearing mine...

safecracker
09-10-2012, 11:47 AM
49212552000E
The law my wife laid down supersedes any state law. I will be wearing mine...

In Maine wearing helmets is optional. It has been that way for many, many years. I have been in accidents with a helmet on and not. I was put in the hospital both times. This happened many years ago. I do belive it is the drivers/riders choice. I have been riding since 1977. Keep on riding and be safe. Bruce;)

ornerydog7
09-10-2012, 01:39 PM

My brain .... my choice.

You do have the right to be stupid and some do exercise this right on a regular bases !! You can't fix stupid !!