PDA

View Full Version : Help! SOS!! Mayday!!! Elec. issues???

Yazz
04-19-2012, 01:07 PM
So I'm loaded up and ready to start for Spyderfest. Go to start her up... turn the key, the console lights up... hit the M button, scrolling stops... hit the ignition button, there's a beep and the console goes blank. :gaah:

The only mod done was wire in a Garmin. Have a pigtail going to the battery tender wire. Spydee is always on the battery tender.

Can anybody clue me in on what the problem might be? :helpsmilie:

SpyderAnn01
04-19-2012, 01:11 PM
I don't have a clue other than something with the Garmin is causing your troubles but I just wanted to say I hope you get it fixed and on the road quickly. See you next week.

SpydherLuv
04-19-2012, 01:12 PM
If you disconnect the Garmin and plug the tender into the wall, does the light on the tender show red? If the Garmin is direct wired to the battery, then it may be pulling power from the battery at a faster rate then the tender can charge it. :dontknow:

Mexican
04-19-2012, 01:27 PM
If you disconnect the Garmin and plug the tender into the wall, does the light on the tender show red? If the Garmin is direct wired to the battery, then it may be pulling power from the battery at a faster rate then the tender can charge it. :dontknow:
Very good posibility, same thing happened to me with an amplifier, disconnected it, left the battery on the tender overnight and the next morning was fully charged, sugest to disconnect the garmin, to eliminate that posibility.

boborgera
04-19-2012, 01:29 PM
So I'm loaded up and ready to start for Spyderfest. Go to start her up... turn the key, the console lights up... hit the M button, scrolling stops... hit the ignition button, there's a beep and the console goes blank. :gaah:

The only mod done was wire in a Garmin. Have a pigtail going to the battery tender wire. Spydee is always on the battery tender.

Can anybody clue me in on what the problem might be? :helpsmilie:

I had a similar problem, 08GS, Hit the m button scroll stops, Hit the ignition button, scroll stops.
Turned out the Negative terminal At the battery was ever so slightly lose so when i hit the start it was like disconnecting the battery for a millisecond.

Grandpa Spyder
04-19-2012, 01:29 PM
I know this is probably not it but check your kill switch.

docdoru
04-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Check the battery cables.

Yazz
04-19-2012, 01:35 PM
I don't have a clue other than something with the Garmin is causing your troubles but I just wanted to say I hope you get it fixed and on the road quickly. See you next week.

It has to be something to do with the Garmin. Unplugged it and took the Garmin off. Still no go.

Put it back on the tender. Red light. Tried to start Spydee and you could see the front lights flickering.

Don't want this happening on the road, so Hubby is getting a fresh battery right now.

Going to hook up the Garmin AFTER Spydee is started. The same way you do for electric underwear. :opps:

Yazz
04-19-2012, 01:37 PM
I know this is probably not it but check your kill switch.

Wasn't the kill switch. Tried starting in all sorts of configurations.

Check the battery cables.

Going to do that right now. Have to tear her apart anyway...

Lamonster
04-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Could just be your battery gave up the ghost but I would check the main relay too. Could be getting weak or a bad connection.

SpydherLuv
With the new battery, make sure that when you turn the :spyder2: off, you also power off the Garmin - or disconnect it. A new battery does no good if the same type of loads are put on it.
Good luck, ryde safe, and enjoy Spyderfest!

flamingobabe
Oh man... I hate it when the Spyder won't start....I had to purchase a new battery about a month ago...then the oil sensor thingie had to be replaced.....Yazz keep us posted.....if you want call hg...I'll send a pm

MarkLawson
04-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Make sure that new battery has a full charge before installing it. If it doesn't, & you rely on the Spyder to charge it, it will never charge to more than 70-80% of capacity. This is according to an article I read some years back in Motorcycle Consumer News when they were doing a comparison review of several chargers.

dancogan
04-19-2012, 02:12 PM
The last thing you did was wire up the Garmin? Then I'd check that wiring. It sounds like it may be shorted somewhere.

ARtraveler
04-19-2012, 02:15 PM
I cant offer any more than what was suggested above. Hope you get the problem solved and have a great trip.

CyncySpyder
04-19-2012, 02:25 PM
:pray::popcorn: Keep us posted & we're sending Positive Energy yur way:popcorn::pray:

Yazz
04-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Checked the battery connections. They are clean and tight.

Could just be your battery gave up the ghost but I would check the main relay too. Could be getting weak or a bad connection.

Relays were the first thing I checked. Think the battery has seen better days. The tender is green now, the console lights up well, but she still won't start. Glad it happened now and not on the road...

With the new battery, make sure that when you turn the :spyder2: off, you also power off the Garmin - or disconnect it. A new battery does no good if the same type of loads are put on it.
Good luck, ryde safe, and enjoy Spyderfest!

Going to put the Garmin on AFTER the engine is started.

Oh man... I hate it when the Spyder won't start....I had to purchase a new battery about a month ago...then the oil sensor thingie had to be replaced.....Yazz keep us posted.....if you want call hg...I'll send a pm

Now don't be mentioning oil sensor thingies going out. :yikes:

Thanks for the call! HG gave alot of good tips. We're going to put a slow charger on the new battery and leave for Austin around 5-6ish.

Make sure that new battery has a full charge before installing it. If it doesn't, & you rely on the Spyder to charge it, it will never charge to more than 70-80% of capacity. This is according to an article I read some years back in Motorcycle Consumer News when they were doing a comparison review of several chargers.

Hubby's coming home with the new battery but it's only charged to 70 - 80% capacity. Going to put on the slow charger, take a breather and leave later this evening.

ThreeWheels
04-19-2012, 02:42 PM
How did you wire up the Garmin?
Was it direct to the batery or is it hooked up to a switched circuit?
If it's direct to the battery, you have to make sure you either remove the Garmin or turn it off before you leave the Spyder. If you don't the Garmin will remain on and drain the battery.
If it's a switched connection, it will disconnect when you turn off the key and the problem lies elsewhere, maybe a shorted wire.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Yazz
04-19-2012, 02:44 PM
The last thing you did was wire up the Garmin? Then I'd check that wiring. It sounds like it may be shorted somewhere.

Yup, check the last thing you did to see if thats the problem. The Garmin's electrical source comes from its hard-wired RAM mount. Ran the wires under the Y panel, and have it pig-tailed into the battery tender. We disconnected it, put the battery tender back on, waited for the light to turn green, and still no rumble.

I cant offer any more than what was suggested above. Hope you get the problem solved and have a great trip.

Funny coincidence but when we left to Alaska last year about this time, the trailer was having electrical problems.:shocked:

The trip turned out great! Maybe this grief is a good thing? LOL

:pray::popcorn: Keep us posted & we're sending Positive Energy yur way:popcorn::pray:

Thanks Dave! Your positive Energy must be working! Hubby's almost home with the new battery :yes:

Gotta go take out the old battery now...

Firefly
04-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Did you run a fuse on the Garmin line to the battery? If you didn't.... you need to. If you did and it didn't blow, then it doesn't sound like anything should be shorted... but strange things can happen.

Last year in Cuba I developed really strange electrical problems. Whole bike would die----- no power, then come back, etc.... had to swap battery alongside the road. Problem came back after I put my saddlebags back on to head home.

My bag lights had become frayed and shorted out... but didn't blow a fuse at first... ugh! So it just fried my battery . Got a new one from Len.... installed on the roadside near MoHicks..... didn't charge it.. just installed it and went.... still running strong.

I'd probably replace your relays and then keep the old ones as spares..... check yer fuses, etc......

Good luck!

Don't forget the hot dogs!!1 :roflblack:

Yazz
04-19-2012, 03:01 PM
How did you wire up the Garmin?
Was it direct to the batery or is it hooked up to a switched circuit?
If it's direct to the battery, you have to make sure you either remove the Garmin or turn it off before you leave the Spyder. If you don't the Garmin will remain on and drain the battery.
If it's a switched connection, it will disconnect when you turn off the key and the problem lies elsewhere, maybe a shorted wire.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

The Garmin is hooked straight to the battery thru a fuse. Had the Garmin hooked up to Spydee once before this debacle.

Understand totally what you are saying. The same thing holds true with electric underwear wired to the battery.

Think the battery was getting ready to kick the bucket and the Garmin was too much for it.

xpeschon
04-19-2012, 03:02 PM
They've said it all, I have nothing to add except that I am sending you positive energy and hope it all works out and see ya here at spyderfest soon.. Oh and yes I agree its a good thing it acted up now and NOT while you are on the road.. Be safe and have a fun travel..

X Joe

Yazz
04-19-2012, 03:08 PM
:yes: Got the battery on the slow charger, and it's showing under 2 amps.:yes:

Yazz
04-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Did you run a fuse on the Garmin line to the battery? If you didn't.... you need to. If you did and it didn't blow, then it doesn't sound like anything should be shorted... but strange things can happen.

Got the Garmin fuse in its pig-tail wire.

Last year in Cuba I developed really strange electrical problems. Whole bike would die----- no power, then come back, etc.... had to swap battery alongside the road. Problem came back after I put my saddlebags back on to head home.

My bag lights had become frayed and shorted out... but didn't blow a fuse at first... ugh! So it just fried my battery . Got a new one from Len.... installed on the roadside near MoHicks..... didn't charge it.. just installed it and went.... still running strong.

Don't want to hear any more stories about breaking down on the road. Bad Mojo. :lecturef_smilie:

I'd probably replace your relays and then keep the old ones as spares..... check yer fuses, etc......

Good luck!

Don't forget the hot dogs!!1 :roflblack:

Ummm... thought you were bring them... :dontknow:

Yazz
04-19-2012, 03:21 PM
They've said it all, I have nothing to add except that I am sending you positive energy and hope it all works out and see ya here at spyderfest soon.. Oh and yes I agree its a good thing it acted up now and NOT while you are on the road.. Be safe and have a fun travel..

X Joe

Thanks for the positive energy! Think its helping the battery get charged faster.:thumbup:

Yup, would rather be here chatting with y'all about the battery than on the road cursing it.

Looking forward to seeing you again!

tofriendscreek
04-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Here's a prayer for power and lift-off! Enjoyed our conversation at the Wagon Wheel last SF and don't want you to miss it. Trust it will be a "Go" very soon. Safe travels as well. :)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vx4frr
I'm mobile using Tapatalk

Yazz
04-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Here's a prayer for power and lift-off! Enjoyed our conversation at the Wagon Wheel last SF and don't want you to miss it. Trust it will be a "Go" very soon. Safe travels as well. :)

It was nice getting to chat with Y'all at the Wagon Wheel. Hope to meet up with Y'all this year!

Think it will be a "Go" pretty soon. The charger is down to almost 1 amp now. :yes:

flamingobabe
04-19-2012, 04:48 PM
Hope all is good...see y'all @ Spyderfest.....be safe...have fun...

Yazz
04-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Things are very good!

:yes::yes::yes: WE HAVE RUMBLE!!! :yes::yes::yes:

Thank you everyone for your advice and well wishes. Couldn't have got back on the road without your help. :2thumbs:

See Y'all in Cuba!

8LEGS
04-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Things are very good!

:yes::yes::yes: WE HAVE RUMBLE!!! :yes::yes::yes:

Thank you everyone for your advice and well wishes. Couldn't have got back on the road without your help. :2thumbs:

See Y'all in Cuba!

Awesome :yes::yes:

See you in 3 1/2 days!

Yazz
04-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Awesome :yes::yes:

See you in 3 1/2 days!

Party is On :yes::yes:

Yazz
04-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Got to Austin safe and sound. There was just one minor glitch...

Put Spydee in reverse to pull her out of the garage, and the warning lights lit up...

Turns out that we did a burn-out backing up. nojoke

She's a little more feisty with the new battery.

Can't wait to get the new Two Bros air filter installed. :2thumbs:

NancysToy
04-19-2012, 09:31 PM
She's a little more feisty with the new battery.
Aren't we all! :joke:

hotglue
04-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Sweet!!!!! see ya in a few says in Cuba!!!!! Tell Jeff I'm bringing some spider bite medicine!!!!! 107ish proof....