PDA

View Full Version : Report: Three-wheel motorcycle plunges off ravine near Concow, killing one

daveinva
04-18-2012, 03:15 PM
A week+ old, but saw this story on another forum (neither article says they were on Spyders, but other posters confirmed it):

http://www.chicoer.com/breakingnews/ci_20350611/three-wheel-motorcycle-plunges-off-ravine-near-concow

More details here: http://www.chicoer.com/breakingnews/ci_20361998/woman-killed-highway-70-crash-was-rented-trike

I said it over there, I'll say it here: I think California, or any other similar state, is mistaken for not requiring a motorcycle (or trike-only) license to ride the Spyder. The Spyder is not a motorcycle, but it sure as heck isn't a car, either. It's also not a 49cc scooter, but a 990cc serious road machine.

I didn't ride one before my MSF trike class, and as KICK-A$$ COOL AWESOME as I am, I would not have been qualified to safely rent one to head out on canyon twisties before taking the class (or, to be honest, immediately AFTER taking the class-- like others, after my class I was qualified to safely operate a Spyder around a parking lot).

For the record, I don't blame BRP for advertising that no motorcycle license is required to ride the Spyder in CA-- they didn't write the laws, after all-- but given how crazy-litigious Californians and their local governments can be, I won't be at all surprised if these people will be lawyering up to change that in a hurry, if they haven't already.

Sad all around.

wyliec
04-18-2012, 03:24 PM
That's a very sad story; especially with the husband following. Hope the other person pulls through.

I didn't see where it mentioned it was a spyder. However, I do agree that it seems to me that anyone driving any 3 wheeler should be required to have training and a license just like for 2 wheelers.

Never mind, I see it now where the spyder was mentioned.

SpyderAnn01
04-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Very sad indeed. I agree that some kind of licensing needs to be required for Spyders and rear wheel trikes for that matter. In Nevada the Spyder requires a motorcycle license only because the state's definition of a motorcycle is anything with only one drive wheel. It is too bad that you can rent one with no training and be allowed to carry a passenger also.

CyncySpyder
04-18-2012, 03:31 PM

zrc
04-18-2012, 03:33 PM
**edited in respect**

Lamonster
04-18-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm not sure why people feel the need to post every Spyder accident they run across on this board. :dontknow:
If this was a motorcycle only board you could post one of these everyday no doubt. We all know the risk we take when driving anything, two or three wheeled. It's very sad that this lady lost her life on a Spyder and her husband had to see it but do me a favor, if this happens to me someday don't post it on a message board I'm sure my wife would appreciate it. Thanks

NorthStar
04-18-2012, 03:46 PM
It is always so sad when someone gets injured or loses their life in any accident.

Given the lack of information in this report we have no idea as to the level of driving experience this person had before traveling the chosen route. She might have been a very experienced driver/rider (car/truck/motorcycle) that lost control of the tricycle for any number of reasons.

The only thing we can be sure of is that this is a tragedy and the family and friends she has left behind deserve our prayers and thoughts.

boborgera
04-18-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm not sure why people feel the need to post every Spyder accident they run across on this board. :dontknow:
If this was a motorcycle only board you could post one of these everyday no doubt. We all know the risk we take when driving anything, two or three wheeled. It's very sad that this lady lost her life on a Spyder and her husband had to see it but do me a favor, if this happens to me someday don't post it on a message board I'm sure my wife would appreciate it. Thanks

:agree:
Its just like most non riders that i meet have to tell me about someone they knew that was hurt /killed on a motorcycle, I just say sorry, And then i tell them about someone i knew that was hurt/killed in a Automobile accident. Shuts them up quick.

wyliec
04-18-2012, 03:56 PM
It states she was a first time rider. But, at this point it's not important.

Prayers to their families.:pray:

Arr MiHardies
04-18-2012, 04:05 PM
I think we need a constant reminder of how dangerous riding any bike is. It is very easy to become overconfident in our abilities and forget these things, especially for newer riders (like myself). It also helps to remind me to let my loved ones know how much I care each and every day.

scooterexpress
04-18-2012, 04:07 PM

warp10
04-18-2012, 04:17 PM

I think people post accidents to remind us to be careful and/or learn from someone else's mistake.

Lamonster
04-18-2012, 04:21 PM
I think people post accidents to remind us to be careful and/or learn from someone else's mistake.

I know why people post them and I know there is a time and a place for it but that's not the focus of this board nor should it be. If you need a contain reminder as was pointed out you can do a Goggle search and get all the reminders you can stomach.

daveinva
04-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Lamont, I agree 99% with what you're saying RE: accidents-- and I preemptively apologize for any insensitivity here-- but in this particular case, I linked it in large part to make the point about California and licensing.

I believe that the vast majority of Spyder owners are safety-conscious and respect their vehicles, quirks and all.

That said, no one can deny that a large part of the Spyder's appeal-- including the official marketing behind the vehicle-- emphasizes how easy it is to ride for those who've never ridden a motorcycle before.

While technically true-- it *is* easier than riding a motorcycle!-- it's still not for everyone.

Nor is it something you just "hop on and go."

Perhaps there are other mitigating facts here that we don't know. I'm sure there are, there always are in stories like this.

But on the face of it, it suggests that the rental company was fine with renting a Spyder to someone with no motorcycle/trike experience because hey, it's legal, and hey, the manufacturer advertises it, too, ergo it must be safe. As easy as renting a bicycle on the beach, even.

Hopefully I'm not alone in subscribing to a big dose of personal responsibility, i.e. don't be stupid, don't get in over your head, etc., etc. But again: the law says you can do this, the manufacturer says you can do this, and the rental company said you can do this... that's a powerful message.

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't want to give any cursed lawyers any more business than they already have. I just won't be surprised if something like this won't lead to even worse press down the road.

joet82
04-18-2012, 05:21 PM
The only reason California (Delaware being the only other state only requiring an operators license) classifies the Spyder as a car, licensing-wise, is because of the 3rd wheel. That's what the law says.:lecturef_smilie:

I do agree with some cases, the dealership should watch the potential buyer operate the Spyder on a test drive, but in my case, it was to my advantage. I bought my Spyder 2 weeks before going home to Washington and getting my Trike/Sidecar Endorsement. I grew up riding quads, so my only learning curve was the lack of a front brake.:ohyea:

But on the other side of the coin, I have seen quite a few people who are scared of speed and or corners....why buy a motorcycle of any kind if you're afraid of any combination of those 2???:banghead: this situation is the exact reason why dealerships in california won't let you test drive the Spyder before you buy it.

Dudley
04-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Lamont, I agree 99% with what you're saying RE: accidents-- and I preemptively apologize for any insensitivity here-- but in this particular case, I linked it in large part to make the point about California and licensing.

I believe that the vast majority of Spyder owners are safety-conscious and respect their vehicles, quirks and all.

That said, no one can deny that a large part of the Spyder's appeal-- including the official marketing behind the vehicle-- emphasizes how easy it is to ride for those who've never ridden a motorcycle before.

While technically true-- it *is* easier than riding a motorcycle!-- it's still not for everyone.

Nor is it something you just "hop on and go."

Perhaps there are other mitigating facts here that we don't know. I'm sure there are, there always are in stories like this.

But on the face of it, it suggests that the rental company was fine with renting a Spyder to someone with no motorcycle/trike experience because hey, it's legal, and hey, the manufacturer advertises it, too, ergo it must be safe. As easy as renting a bicycle on the beach, even.

Hopefully I'm not alone in subscribing to a big dose of personal responsibility, i.e. don't be stupid, don't get in over your head, etc., etc. But again: the law says you can do this, the manufacturer says you can do this, and the rental company said you can do this... that's a powerful message.

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't want to give any cursed lawyers any more business than they already have. I just won't be surprised if something like this won't lead to even worse press down the road.

A motorcycle endorsement, for a Spyder, 3-wheeler, or 2 wheeler still does not mean a person has the experience, or the common sense to ride safely with consideration of the road conditions, etc. Taking a test in a parking lot or around a block or two means nothing. Once too many times, riding in a group and wanting/needing to keep up, will lead to an accident. And, I will state very strongly, NO ONE has any business doing twisties in a group without any experience. What seems like "slow" to some is extremely dangerous to others. I have been told so many times that I ride too slow that Jennifer and I will not ride in a group. Our safety is more important than bragging rights.
I am sorry about this incident, but it could have been avoided. Loss of a life affects people for a lifetime.

SpyderMeLucky
04-18-2012, 05:31 PM

I agree with you, Lamont, but just like when an airplane goes down, it's news, regardless of how many airplanes don't crash. Plus if a pilot crashes an airplane with LOW hours, it makes HEADLINES. I'd like to think of how many airplanes cross this country on a daily basis year-in-year-out without incident. That's also news, but sadly not reported for those wonderful statistics. In fact statistically, it's safer to fly than drive, yet you'll have tons of people who'll drive a car and flat out refuse to fly because the plane might crash.

It's sad about this young woman and her passenger. And my question to her would be: What were you thinking driving on an unfamiliar bike with NO experience whatsoever on roads that were way beyond your driving ability?
Heck, I had my motorcycle license, had taken the Motorcycle safety course (I waited for 2 years for a bike=spyder before I rode anything) and practiced on my spyder in my neighborhood for almost two weeks before I ventured out on the local main side streets. Slow and easy should've been her motto.

My 2 cents!

wyliec
04-18-2012, 05:32 PM
I have been told so many times that I ride too slow that Jennifer and I will not ride in a group. Our safety is more important than bragging rights.

I make sure I'm always bringing up the rear when riding in a group. I don't want to feel I'm holding anyone up.

daveinva
04-18-2012, 05:50 PM
A motorcycle endorsement, for a Spyder, 3-wheeler, or 2 wheeler still does not mean a person has the experience, or the common sense to ride safely with consideration of the road conditions, etc. Taking a test in a parking lot or around a block or two means nothing. .

My concern is that other states at least recognize that as the *barest minimum* to get on a Spyder. One hopes that taking the test to get the license, or even better, passing something like the MSF does at least instill a bit more respect for what riding the vehicle entails. I can certainly attest to my instructors drilling it into my head that, even with "graduating" after just a weekend of putting around, I was at best qualified to navigate a parking lot. From that point on, any mistakes were my own.

Obviously, there are plenty of people who go on to ride recklessly, emerge overconfident, or what-have-you even after the licensing process... but again, at that point, it's *their* responsibility, at that point they can't argue that they weren't warned about the risks of motorcycling and the challenges facing new & inexperienced riders.

When you don't even have that little prep...

Desert Spyder
04-18-2012, 06:01 PM
I see no mention about a Spyder in either article. There was a 3 wheeler that wobbled. That might indicate a conventional trike with the steering stabilizer bad. A DMV inspector takes an unlicensed individual out for for a 10-15 minute ride to see if they are good enough for a license. Is this a long enough test? No. If the test was 30 minutes it still wouldn't demonstrate the competence of the testee. Going downhill in the twisties is a far cry more difficult for anybody. I don't know if she was going downhill. Here's one thing I do know: the roads north of Durango are dangerous. They have been featured on the Discovery Channel's show "Dangerous Drives". There are maps from Colorado motorcyclists rating them red as dangerous. There are no guardrails on the roads because there are no place to put them. Sheer drop offs. I don't know where the rides will be in Durango...or Cuba...but one thing I do know. There'll be over 400 Spyders out on the roads at the same time. How do you control them, licensed or not?

docdoru
04-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Condolences to her family and friends.

daveinva
04-18-2012, 08:12 PM
I see no mention about a Spyder in either article. There was a 3 wheeler that wobbled. That might indicate a conventional trike with the steering stabilizer bad.

It was a Spyder-- one of a group of rentals.

(Search Youtube for Concow motorcycle accident... it comes up, but I won't link it here out of respect).

Sny
04-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Ya'll are missing the point. No one wants to see a bunch of strangers talking about their dead relative and what went wrong. Ever.

This is a forum for lovers of Spyders, not lovers of headline news.

A discussion about California can happen without the article. Save the annotated references for it's day in a capitol building.

Tierhog
04-19-2012, 02:23 AM
A motorcycle endorsement, for a Spyder, 3-wheeler, or 2 wheeler still does not mean a person has the experience, or the common sense to ride safely with consideration of the road conditions, etc. Taking a test in a parking lot or around a block or two means nothing. Once too many times, riding in a group and wanting/needing to keep up, will lead to an accident. And, I will state very strongly, NO ONE has any business doing twisties in a group without any experience. What seems like "slow" to some is extremely dangerous to others. I have been told so many times that I ride too slow that Jennifer and I will not ride in a group. Our safety is more important than bragging rights.
I am sorry about this incident, but it could have been avoided. Loss of a life affects people for a lifetime.

Exactly. Can't tell you how many knuckleheads in California are riding Motorcycles without an M endorsement.

Then again, a large group in California drives a car without a CDL or insurance...Hell... Half don't even speak English.

Not overly concerned.

Bob Denman
04-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Condolences to her family and friends.

As far as posting all of the "horror stories"; Sensationalism sells stories and prompts readership. I'm not overly eager to see these, but I suppose that they DO serve as a reminder for all of us to stay vigilent on the highways...(Thanks Warp10)
But maybe dwelling on them is also just as destructive... :dontknow:

daveinva
04-19-2012, 07:20 AM
Ya'll are missing the point.

I get the point. I disagree with it, but I get it.

Out of respect for my forum friends, however, I'll move on.

Safe riding all!

Firefly
04-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Very sad story indeed. Condolences to those involved.

Like with any vehicle you buy, you tend to notice them around you more once you buy one... and the Spyder is so unique that it's obviously going to catch the medias eye... but especially ANY news story involving a Spyder catches our eyes. It's part of human nature.

Many situations like this can teach lessons and make us more alert riders. Remember the DPS failures and a few incidents where it seemed the DPS contributed to a wreck? Or the fires that alarmed many of us? Many lessons were learned that just might have saved a life or two. Perhaps someone will read this and think twice about allowing a novice family member to ride their Spyder or rent one.... especially with a passenger onboard.

I guess I'm just saying that we have to take the bad news with all the good news.. and be happy that 99% of our Spyder news out here is good.:thumbup:

IWN2RYD
04-19-2012, 11:17 AM
RIP...

AS for all the other comments in this thread. Wow. I agree with all of them and they are my response as well. I was struggling with which one to write. They are all valid. Only thing I could add...

After loosing our then 21 year old son two years ago, we read these in case it is a fellow ryder and would want to offer help to them as we received. We know a lot of folks in Cali, but thankfully (Not that it lessons the loss in anyway) we do not know these folks...

bone crusher
04-19-2012, 09:06 PM
I didn't see where it mentioned a Spyder...also, if your only experience with a Spyder or a two wheeler is simply in a parking lot before you go out and hit twisties, you're asking for trouble.

You should be required to have some sort of special license for a Spyder...be it a motorcycle or modified motorcycle (like we have here in MD)...there is a learner's permit time and that is necessary to get used to riding...plus, you learn all the safety information...no bike is like a car...period...

This is a sad story, but it was 100% preventable if the bike owners were more responsible with who they let ride their bikes. No bike is a toy...

SpyderGirl
04-20-2012, 12:04 AM
I agree, California should require a MC license. My husband I both have ours.