PDA

View Full Version : Is it Ok to work the inside of a Helmet so as to better fit my head? Odd question...

Derek Paisley
04-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Hey SpyderLovers!

I recently purchased a new Nolan N103 n-Com Moldular Helmet. It fits snug around, just abit too much in the temple. So much so that it gives me a headache when I've got it on for more then 10 minutes. My head swells when it get's hot.

I removed the lining (as I would if I were looking to clean it) and used the base of a compact screwdriver (the round Head) to "kneed" (not sure if that is spelt correctly) in abit of room.

Well, it worked VERY well. It's slightly depressed where my forehead sit's flush on it, so no more headaches.

Have I done something to the helmet that would be considered a bad thing or is this a common thing?
I've not had to do this with other helmets, as they were an incorrect fit (too big).

I LOVE this Nolan helmet and just wanted to ensure that I was not jepordising it's integrity.

Thx for your time!

(RSS is on route from Dealer in Quebec to my Local Dealer!!! Can't wait to take ownership!!!!) !!!!!!! :>:>:>

daveinva
04-18-2012, 11:06 AM
It's not ideal, but it's not uncommon, either. A lot of folks will take a spoon or similar object (like your screwdriver butt) and press in the offending areas of styrofoam to give themselves more room in those "hot spots."

I wouldn't worry about it, you're wearing a good helmet, you're already 99% of the way there! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
04-18-2012, 11:15 AM
:agree: The mod you did should not hurt the helmet. The helmet will also break in as you wear it more.

Derek Paisley
04-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the input!

:>

NancysToy
04-18-2012, 11:34 AM
The only real way to know the answer would be to test the modified helmet. Of course that would destroy the helmet, so it is kinda impractical. The manufacturers will tell you that it isn't safe, just so you know your risk. While choosing a helmet that fits properly would be a better solution, I'd rather see you wearing a helmet than not, so if it takes minor modifications to make it more likely that you will wear the helmet faithfully, I guess I'm for it. It still is not recommended if you do otherwise, though.

Bob Denman
04-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Tinkering with the thickness of the foam isn't really much different than simply wearing the helmet and allowing it to naturally confirm to your noggin... Just don't be tempted to over-do it though...

NancysToy
04-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Tinkering with the thickness of the foam isn't really much different than simply wearing the helmet and allowing it to naturally confirm to your noggin... Just don't be tempted to over-do it though...
With a properly fitted helmet, nothing but the inner liner conforms to your head. The foam shell should remain unchanged. Deteriorated foam is a sign that the helmet should be retired. nojoke

Bob Denman
04-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Oh for sure! :thumbup: I was referring to the layer of padding that's closest to your head... Leave the others alone! nojoke

Firefly
04-18-2012, 12:49 PM
One thing I really like about my NEXX X1R1 is it came with a bunch of custom-fit stick-on pads for various areas of the helmet, so you can pull the liner and 'modify' the fit as needed.

MarkLawson
04-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Being that I am soooo smart that I have a gi-hugic head to hold all of my brains (8-1/4 hat size with an extra long oval shape)...

I buy the largest helmet I can fine and then do exactly what you did to make it fit. I generally have to make room in the front as it presses against my forehead & creates hot-spots. While I've never tried to get a warranty repair/replacement, I'm certain that any modification like this would likely void the manufacturer's warranty.

Bob Denman
04-18-2012, 01:51 PM
And you live in "Snellville"... :thumbup:

boborgera
04-18-2012, 01:54 PM
I certain that any modification like this would likely void the manufacturer's warranty.

:agree: When Jersey had MC inspections one of the things they would check is if your helmet had reflective tape on it, If it didn't you would fail the inspection. It would drive me crazy, Because the helmet manufacturers state if you add tape to the helmet it will void the warranty also. :banghead:

daveinva
04-18-2012, 02:09 PM
:agree: When Jersey had MC inspections one of the things they would check is if your helmet had reflective tape on it, If it didn't you would fail the inspection. It would drive me crazy, Because the helmet manufacturers state if you add tape to the helmet it will void the warranty also. :banghead:

Helmets have manufacturer's warranties??

I guess if a visor broke or a strap came undone I'd want a refund, but it's just not something I'd ever consider returning/exchanging down the road (well, perhaps if I sprang for one of those fancy $700+ Schuberths...)

As for the inspections, that's good to know, seeing as my helmet is positively FESTOONED in reflective tape.

Buttsy
04-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Being that I am soooo smart that I have a gi-hugic head to hold all of my brains (8-1/4 hat size with an extra long oval shape)...

I buy the largest helmet I can fine and then do exactly what you did to make it fit. I generally have to make room in the front as it presses against my forehead & creates hot-spots. While I've never tried to get a warranty repair/replacement, I certain that any modification like this would likely void the manufacturer's warranty.

Between 8-1/4 and 8-3/8.................... I hear ya!