PDA

View Full Version : not happy with corbin

mastertek2000
04-17-2012, 07:22 PM
well i spent a lot of money on a Corbin heated seat and was not happy with quality
when i first took the seat out of the box one of the rubber bumps on the bottom of the rear seat fell off
then when i got the in stall done the point of the web does not even meat up with the center line the can-am

dannymax
04-17-2012, 07:48 PM
I can see what you're saying about the web point not lining up but other than that it's a great looking seat IMO.
Looks really nice on your :ani29:

ARtraveler
04-17-2012, 08:30 PM
You might be able to adjust the seat a little bit right or left to center the web. IMO its not off that much.

aka1004
04-17-2012, 08:46 PM
I think it's just that expectation is not the same when you spend corbin kinda dollars.
I would want them nearly perfect if not perfect.
I don't expect the same if I bought a seat from Walmart. :)
I know I know Walmart don't sell bike seat but they might:)

SpydermanCT
04-17-2012, 08:50 PM
well i spent a lot of money on a Corbin heated seat and was not happy with quality
when i first took the seat out of the box one of the rubber bumps on the bottom of the rear seat fell off
then when i got the in stall done the point of the web does not even meat up with the center line the can-am

I would have to agree, if I spent that kind of money on a seat I would expect the lines to be right on. I hope when you contact Corbin the answer you get is "No problem, we will take care of that for you Sir".

Rayelljay
04-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Mine was similar but after a couple of hundred miles of riding it was fine.

mastertek2000
04-17-2012, 09:10 PM
You might be able to adjust the seat a little bit right or left to center the web. IMO its not off that much.

Becuase of the locking pin I can't move it left anymore

I think it's just that expectation is not the same when you spend corbin kinda dollars.
I would want them nearly perfect if not perfect.
I don't expect the same if I bought a seat from Walmart. :)
I know I know Walmart don't sell bike seat but they might:)

My feeling Also i have no problem spending the money but expect to get what I pay for

I would have to agree, if I spent that kind of money on a seat I would expect the lines to be right on. I hope when you contact Corbin the answer you get is "No problem, we will take care of that for you Sir".
I would think so I don't think I am bein picky if I was doing this for some else I would saying the same to him I like perfection will keep you guys update as I go

bone crusher
04-17-2012, 11:14 PM

Check around for old threads on Corbin's quality...there have been many before you with complaints...I seem to remember many on paint quality, but that was a year or two ago...it seems like they are very hit or miss...

Arthur---Mexico
04-17-2012, 11:27 PM
I'll sell you mine that's in very good condition that goes on a GS 2008 SE5 Spyder for $250.00. xe1ll@prodigy.net.mx.

I can see what you're saying about the web point not lining up but other than that it's a great looking seat IMO.
Looks really nice on your :ani29:[/QUOTE]

wa3wheels
04-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Keep in mind that Corbins are hand made. You will not notice web offset after 200 miles. Looks great!

CyncySpyder
04-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Like previously posted, when spending this kinda $$ on a custom product, you expect the quality & workmanship to be better than what you have recieved:lecturef_smilie: I, along with many other SpyderLovers members will be following along to see how they handle this & are hoping for the BEST for you:pray: Keep us posted :chat:

mastertek2000
04-18-2012, 05:19 AM
it is a great seat and i love it but not correct for the money this thing should be point on the stock seat was killing me and reason for get the Corbin was getting ready to do mass to Chicago round trip

docdoru
04-18-2012, 05:28 AM
Like previously posted, when spending this kinda $$ on a custom product, you expect the quality & workmanship to be better than what you have recieved...
:agree: and I would ask the same for a 30K bike too....;)

Bob Denman
04-18-2012, 06:30 AM
Soooooo... Have you contacted Corbin yet? What did they say??

mastertek2000
04-18-2012, 06:49 AM
Soooooo... Have you contacted Corbin yet? What did they say??

waiting for 9 AM today

Bob Denman
04-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Thanks! I'm sure that we'll be interested in their response... Good Luck! :thumbup:
Anybody can have an off-day; it's how issues get resolved that truly measures the qualities that a company has.

mastertek2000
04-18-2012, 08:10 AM
just called Corbin guy i dealt with is not in till tomorrow i will call back then i like to deal with one 1 person that way all facts stay correct will post tomorrow

Y Rider
04-18-2012, 08:43 AM
I have a similar Corbin seat for our RT Limited. After a few months of use the spider web stiching started to come loose in a couple spots. There is a one year warranty so during the winter months I shipped it back to Corbin at their expense. They recovered the seat and it looks great again. It only took a couple weeks before it was returned. Other than the stiching I am very happy with the quality of the seat and their service. I just hope it holds up for a few years.

mastertek2000
04-19-2012, 08:24 AM
well just got off the phone with Corbin and they where real understanding and very sorry that i was not fully happy with my seat here is what they are going to do it will take 4 to 6 weeks to get a new one i will get to keep this one till i can the new one will keep you posted on this as i get my new one
so far i would have to say they try to keep there customers happy

Machinegunner
04-19-2012, 09:53 AM
My wife Frenchie and I have very early Corbin bags. Two years ago we tried to get bags warrantied for various reasons. Mike was in the process of selling the business and service was out of the question. Last year in Sturgis we met Sergio at Corbins display. Talked to him and then latter that day to Mike. They decided to warrant both sets of bags as soon as the riding season was over. We returned them and have since recieved and installed them. They look better than ever. Mike said he decided not to sell the company and now the great service is back. I'm sure the company and customer service will continue to grow. The bags and fairing are number one in our book. Thanks for the great service Mike. Hope to see you and Sergio in Sturgis this year.

AutumnCat
04-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Good to know. I think I will also contact Corbin about the twist to my seat and see what they have to say.

Bob Denman
04-19-2012, 11:12 AM
will keep you posted on this as i get my new one
so far i would have to say they try to keep there customers happy

Yes! We'd all like to hear how this settles out! :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
04-19-2012, 11:13 AM
It is always good to hear that a vendor takes care of customer problems. I have had two travel trunks, two fairings, and two seats, and all were satisfactory.

SPYD1
04-19-2012, 12:17 PM
I just put my Corbin on last night and I remembered reading this yesterday. I had the similar issue and what I did was the extend the front locking pin on the seat to raise the area of the seat by your right leg up a little bit and it aligned everything perfectly. I also want to say that their directions could be rewritten. If you look at the pic you posted, the right side is actually down further than the other. Raising the locking pin could cure that and center the web. You may want to try it.

AutumnCat
04-19-2012, 03:13 PM
I finally got a chance to take my Spyder out to test ride the new seat & smuggler.

Ok - the issues:
The current backrest on the smuggler trunk is way too thick & pokes into my back. It's extremely painful, actually. I decided that the only solution is to have someone shave that down (kind of like they do for custom seats).
So, I called Corbin to see if they have any suggestions or could tell me how to remove it safely. The gal I spoke with could not have been nicer or more helpful.
She actually offered to have Corbin make me a custom back rest at no charge to replace the current one. She took my requested specs & said I should have a new backrest/padding in a few weeks.

I also asked about the seat twist when latched. She wanted to know if we tried any of the trouble shooting suggestions. We hadn't - other than my husband making some adjustments to the connections when he was doing the install. So, once we see if any trouble shooting works - we go from there. She said after that, if it's not right, they will determine whether they need to fix the current seat or make a new one under our warranty.

They are extremely happy to work with me & make things right. Jessica wanted to make sure I understand that they want me happy with my purchase!

I am very glad I called (didn't take much time to get a tech on the phone) & happy I chose Corbin. Let's see how this all plays out!

Positives - I LOVE the smuggler. I think it looks awesome on my Spyder & I love having the secured storage option on the back. Also, the fueling door on the seat is the best thing since sliced bread. ;) It really cuts my fueling time down! Much more convenient.

mastertek2000
04-19-2012, 07:12 PM
I just put my Corbin on last night and I remembered reading this yesterday. I had the similar issue and what I did was the extend the front locking pin on the seat to raise the area of the seat by your right leg up a little bit and it aligned everything perfectly. I also want to say that their directions could be rewritten. If you look at the pic you posted, the right side is actually down further than the other. Raising the locking pin could cure that and center the web. You may want to try it.
It's funny you say that I did go out there and adjusted it some more now it locks and opens fine but still off to the side

AutumnCat
04-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Yeah - my husband tried adjusting that pin tonight, too. It didn't really help. I'm going to try to ride with the seat & see if my weight on it for some miles gets the seat to settle in better.

mastertek2000
04-20-2012, 05:40 AM
Yeah - my husband tried adjusting that pin tonight, too. It didn't really help. I'm going to try to ride with the seat & see if my weight on it for some miles gets the seat to settle in better.

for the money we pay for the seat it should be perfect

MouthPiece
04-20-2012, 05:45 AM
My experience with Mike Corbin and his company was, and I'm sure will be, nothing but excellent. Admittedly there were a couple of issues when I originally got my seat, but they were fixed. Their response to my issues was prompt and professional.

I plan on getting another Corbin seat when I buy my 2013 RT Spyder.

"Perfection is impossible. Excellence is not"

Chris

SteveMac
04-20-2012, 06:43 AM
It's funny you say that I did go out there and adjusted it some more now it locks and opens fine but still off to the side

Take that locking pin out and discard it. No joke. It will cause you grief at some point. Everyone told me to. But I tried to retain it, but it bent and then wouldn't come unlocked for the life of me. When I finally was able to get it unlocked, I removed that pin and threw it far far away!

mastertek2000
04-20-2012, 06:46 AM
My experience with Mike Corbin and his company was, and I'm sure will be, nothing but excellent. Admittedly there were a couple of issues when I originally got my seat, but they were fixed. Their response to my issues was prompt and professional.

I plan on getting another Corbin seat when I buy my 2013 RT Spyder.

"Perfection is impossible. Excellence is not"

Chris

all my bikes i have had mustang seats they all so run about $700 - $800 and i had 4 of them to say never once i had to called them with a problem
mustang does not make one for the spyder Corbin customer support is great from my dealing so far we will see when all is done

mastertek2000
04-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Take that locking pin out and discard it. No joke. It will cause you grief at some point. Everyone told me to. But I tried to retain it, but it bent and then wouldn't come unlocked for the life of me. When I finally was able to get it unlocked, I removed that pin and threw it far far away!

wow did you bring this up to Corbin this should not have happened this is when testing comes into play they need to test the seat for a year of use then sell the finished product

SteveMac
04-20-2012, 06:56 AM
wow did you bring this up to Corbin this should not have happened this is when testing comes into play they need to test the seat for a year of use then sell the finished product

I didn't even go down that road to contact Corbin. I found that the majority of experienced Corbin owners had done the same thing, including Lamonster who gave the same advice. Throw that pin away. It was a small problem to me and I choose my battles carefully. Helps keep the blood pressure down. It was honestly no big deal to me to remove it and has not caused me any more issues.

killerbee
04-20-2012, 12:17 PM
I've had a Corbin seat for several years and the problem I have is that you can't rest where your tailbone is. I completely slide down. I've even thought about putting an anti-slide piece of material on, but that's a little redneck imo.

bone crusher
04-20-2012, 12:18 PM
I've had a Corbin seat for several years and the problem I have is that you can't rest where your tailbone is. I completely slide down. I've even thought about putting an anti-slide piece of material on, but that's a little redneck imo.

Velcro? :yes:

Riker
04-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Been watching this thread. I purchased one off of ebay. Mine as well doesn't line up properly ( it was an older seat and i have a 2011 RS ), and is slightly to far forward on the left side.

My question. If I remove the pin, basically the seat will no longer lock ( obviously ). Am I to assume as long as you push it down it will hold after I re-adjust the seat, and when I lift a little the shock thingy :p will lift and hold. Or do I need to disconnect that as well and just lift it when I gas it up. Sorry, sounds like a stupid question :dontknow:

Riker
04-21-2012, 11:57 AM
UPPDATE!!

Better, just no shock now... :)

I went and took out the pin and disconnected the shock on the seat, and when I layed the seat down, it fit perfect. I am like wt%. Put the pin back in and it locks great.

Apparently, the way this is designed ( unless there is a way to install shock wrong ), it appears a little off. With the shock in, it shifts the seat forward when closing, as if the shock is a hair to long now.

Any suggestions....can I find adjustable seat shock ?

currin20fan
04-25-2012, 06:30 AM
Installed my Corbin yesterday. The locking pin did not line up so instead of fighting it, I unscrewed it and will keep it for future reference. With the open gas door, no need to lock the seat any longer. I had the Lamonster cut done which moved me up about 2 inches and I'm a happy camper! As far as the shock..........the Corbin came with a rod to prop the seat up so I removed the shock also. Didn't see anywhere to reinstall it on the new seat. Hope this helps.

SPYD1
04-25-2012, 06:54 AM
Installed my Corbin yesterday. The locking pin did not line up so instead of fighting it, I unscrewed it and will keep it for future reference. With the open gas door, no need to lock the seat any longer. I had the Lamonster cut done which moved me up about 2 inches and I'm a happy camper! As far as the shock..........the Corbin came with a rod to prop the seat up so I removed the shock also. Didn't see anywhere to reinstall it on the new seat. Hope this helps.

Maybe they changed something as this is the case for the seat I just installed. No shock, come with a prop and a gas lid. I still use the pin but it was a little tedious lining that up. I don't know why I would have to lift the seat up unless it was to access the plug for the tender or to clean. All is well.

elixermixer
04-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Spyd1 - also to pull the release on your sport rack passenger back rest if you want to take it off for the day. I swap mine off and on all the time. I wish they made a better use of the sport rack as it could be very versatile (yes I know about the bag attachment)

SPYD1
04-25-2012, 08:39 AM
good point. I don't ever take mine off as I bought the bike used and never got the cover for it...I look for them used in red but haven't found one to buy yet.

ARtraveler
04-25-2012, 03:10 PM
My final .02 on this.

RE: locking pin. On my Corbin seat for the 2008 RS--I left it in, otherwise the airshock would keep the seat raised up. It was a source of irritation and I had the dealer adjust it for me so everything worked right.

On my Corbin seat for the 2010 RTS--I removed both the locking pin and the airshock. No need to raise the seat to put in gas--because of the gas tank door. I don't keep any valuables under the seat--so the fact its not locked down has not been a problem for me.

I do think the product is very pricey. I have not had problem with the quality but know some others have. Customer service has been both good and bad, my has all been good.