PDA

View Full Version : the most dangerous motorcycle on the road

canner
04-17-2012, 02:11 PM
I have a 2009 can am rs se5 and dearly love the bike. I also own a Harley Electraglide. They both have their place on the road. However the Can Am has a horrific brake problem, that being finding the brake pedal especilly in an emergency situation. I have install floor boards and the hinged brake entension. This has improved the braking situation by at least 50 percent. However fun it is to ride, the braking situation, in my opinion, makes it the most unsafe bike on the road. I won't sell it because it is too much fun to ride. The dealer wants $1700 to install a hand brake which would probably make it one of the safer bikes out there. I just wish BRP would not be so stubborn and install the handbrake on the new models. How many people have died because of this. I know of one.

I know this has probably made a lot of people mad, however, one should not have to ride wondering where the brake pedal is.

warp10
04-17-2012, 02:15 PM
I always ride with my feet on the pegs and the edge of my right shoe is just under the brake pedal. Have rode this way on all my bikes, always know where the brake pedal is.

zrc
04-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Never had any issue braking. Matter of fact, when I have needed to stop more often than not my spyder would stop faster than I would. I do not miss a hand brake from the 2 wheel life. I am confident in my ryde and my ryding style.

Lamonster
04-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Seeing you decided to bring this same comment you sent me to the board I post the same answer I emailed you but I'm sure you get a lot more responses here but most likely not what you're hoping for.

Sounds like your life is worth less than $1700 to you. The Spyder stops better than any motorcycle on the road of that size and you knew it didn't have a front brake when you bought it. I would love to have one too but I've been riding bikes for 40+ years and I got use to it. If it's that big of a deal to you then you should pony up the money or sell the Spyder. For sure BRP is not going to give you a discount for an aftermarket product that they have no control of and don't feel is necessary, that's just silly. https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif

Bob Denman
04-17-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm real sorry to hear that you feel that way about your GS...
I always kind of figured that the most dangerous bike on the road was the one with the overconfident rider... :shocked:
It's good that you're aware of this situation and are looking at the options to make it safer...
I was given a larger brake pedal that is sold by TricLEDS... that might help you... :thumbup:

Pennyrick
04-17-2012, 02:22 PM
. I just wish BRP would not be so stubborn and install the handbrake on the new models. How many people have died because of this. I know of one.

I know this has probably made a lot of people mad, however, one should not have to ride wondering where the brake pedal is.

The brake pedal on my RT measures 2-3/4" x 2" and that is just a bit smaller than the brake pedal in my car. I have no problem getting my foot on either one... even in an emergency.

lyonsden
04-17-2012, 02:23 PM
I don't agree. I think it is one of the safest on the road. I have no problem with the braking on my 2011 RT. :ohyea:

ARtraveler
04-17-2012, 02:24 PM
I have also never had any issue braking. I don't miss a handbrake and I have been driving motorcycles for over 47 years.

I have seal floorboards and recently installed a brake pedal extender from one of the vendors on our forum. Cost $35.00 and it makes the brake pedal twice as wide. That might be a cheap fix for you if your not wanting to spend the $1700.00.

Littlebadwolf
04-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Absolutely zero problems with the brakes on my RS...as a matter of fact they're excellent and I like them better than any 2 wheel I've had...the synchronized disc brakes are terrific and will stop on a dime..

dave01
04-17-2012, 02:28 PM
I think the braking on the Spyder is great. I added the hand brake just because I ride 2 wheels a lot and am used to using that more than the foot brake. It may take you a little to get used to the foot brake, but the Spyder WILL stop very quick, some times quicker than I am ready for.

bullant12
04-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Seeing you decided to bring this same comment you sent me to the board I post the same answer I emailed you but I'm sure you get a lot more responses here but most likely not what you're hoping for.

Sounds like your life is worth less than $1700 to you. The Spyder stops better than any motorcycle on the road of that size and you knew it didn't have a front brake when you bought it. I would love to have one too but I've been riding bikes for 40+ years and I got use to it. If it's that big of a deal to you then you should pony up the money or sell the Spyder. For sure BRP is not going to give you a discount for an aftermarket product that they have no control of and don't feel is necessary, that's just silly. https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif

:agree: 100% My Spyder stops on a dime without a handbrake. In fact, when I took the MSF courses I really had a hard time using the handbrake. In one of the scenarios I didn't apply the handbrake and fell bad on a curve. Although I learned my lesson, I have learned to appreciate the Spyder's brakes a whole lot more. Lamont is right, BRP has been doing the Spyder's now for years now and they gotten the braking issue right (so far). If there was something mechanically wrong with the brakes, I'm sure BRP would revise the issue. But it doesn't make any sense for a person to say that the Spyder is an unsafe ride simply because the handbrake is not there. The aftermarket handbrake works as an actuator for the Spyder's brake, so if you press the handlebar brake it will do the exact same thing as the foot brake pedal. The ones who have purchased the hand brake are a) riders with disabilities (missing an limb) or b) veteran riders who need the handbrake for habit. Adding the handbrake will not do any brake overhaul except to your hand coordination.

Ronsam
04-17-2012, 02:31 PM
I strongly beleve the problem is on the seat:banghead:

M109Dreamer
04-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Wife has the RTS (1K lbs) and I have a M109 (750 lbs). She has never complained about the braking and or travel of the brake pedal. For the weight and type of bike she has out braked me on a few occasions. To the point that I had to increase my interval between us. Could it be brake, fluid level, or brake pedal adjustment issue?

mxz600
04-17-2012, 02:37 PM
I have a 2009 can am rs se5 and dearly love the bike. I also own a Harley Electraglide. They both have their place on the road. However the Can Am has a horrific brake problem, that being finding the brake pedal especilly in an emergency situation. I have install floor boards and the hinged brake entension. This has improved the braking situation by at least 50 percent. However fun it is to ride, the braking situation, in my opinion, makes it the most unsafe bike on the road. I won't sell it because it is too much fun to ride. The dealer wants $1700 to install a hand brake which would probably make it one of the safer bikes out there. I just wish BRP would not be so stubborn and install the handbrake on the new models. How many people have died because of this. I know of one.

:crackpipe:

StanProff
04-17-2012, 02:56 PM

"Finding the brake pedal" should be easy as it can't go anywhere, it's always in the same spot. I'd say the foot is the part that is wondering around. The replys here on this thread say it all so no use in me repeating what has already been written. I will say that I have no issues with the brake pedal as I have driven with one in every car for the last 45 years. You will get use to it, just remember that your not on a motorcycle everytime you get on the RS. (I have a half dozen bikes so I am qualified to address this issue), When you get used to the Spyder you will more than likely be riding it more than the Harley. The spyder is without a doubt the safer machine to ride. You Will have much more visual impact than a two wheeler, cars DO notice the Spyder with the much larger frontal area and footprint coming towards them.
Anyway good luck and I hope you get comfortable with the brake issue.

jmcbow
04-17-2012, 02:56 PM
If you take a MSRC or read the manual for the Spdyer, they both stress being familiar with the machine you are riding, be it 2 wheels or 3. Every machine is a little different, and you simply have to learn the characteristics of the machine you intend to ride. I have let experienced (2 wheel) riders ride my RT, and yes, they do have a tendency to grab air on the right handle bar. But that certainly doesn't make the Spdyer "unsafe". I have been fortunate enough to only have to make 1 panic stop and that was on my GS after only having ridden for a few months. I had no problem finding the brake and staying in control of the Spyder. I'm sorry you feel that way about yours, but I really think your off the reservation on the Spyder being unsafe. As an engineer myself, I truly appreciate all of the safety that BRP designed into the Spyder. I know there is no such thing as a "safe" motorcyle, but IMHO I think the Spyder is as close as you'll ever get.

dannymax
04-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Mmmm, gotta go with the flow on this one....I think Can Am did a great job with the :ani29: braking system. I have over a half century of 2 wheel experience and had no trouble at all getting used to the set-up on my GS.

But I'll be honest with ya, if I really felt my machine was the least bit unsafe, I'd either modify it to my liking or it'd go down the road without me on it! There's already far too many dangerous distractions out there without that mental 'black dog' lurking in the sub-conscious too. :shocked:

Pandy
04-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Well now you've done it. But, I will, for a fair exchange, take that dangerous machine off your hands.22K miles and counting.43987
Patrick

daveinva
04-17-2012, 03:19 PM
I also own a Harley Electraglide.

Huh. Most Harley riders I know LOVE the foot brake. I mean, they spend all that time telling everyone in earshot how that front brake will KILL ya'... :roflblack:

While I disagree with the OP and agree with the other comments here, allow me to be contrararian for the sake of discussion: the lack of handbrake doesn't make the Spyder unsafe, but it sure is darn inconvenient.

1. In situations requiring the rider to push themselves off to the left of their Spyder (i.e. sharp left-hand turns), it's difficult at best to apply the footbrake given that your right foot is pushing off a peg or floorboard. Having a handbrake in these rare-but-not-unheard-of situations would be helpful.

2. I have floorboards, I love them. Trouble is, I rarely feel safe using them for long stretches of time or in high-traffic situations (keeping my right foot on the board = my right foot underneath or to the side of the brake). Oh, and you can forget about safely using highway pegs with the footbrake. (Note I said "safely"-- I have highway pegs too, but I hate using them for very long seeing how far away they keep my foot from the footbrake, my only means of stopping).

Basically, if I had a handbrake, I could be lazy and leave my tired, barking dogs on the floorboards all the time versus staying on the pegs as much as possible. Seriously, I could be LAZZZZZZY ;)

Anyway, I'm sure there are other disadvantages but I'm not thinking of any right now (I know there are critics of linked-brake systems but I don't see those as problematic on a trike, you don't have to worry about using front brake at slow speeds, or braking upsetting the suspension, or favoring the rear brake in the dirt, etc.).

Bottom line: Personally, I've never had any issue at all with the footbrake. And any motorcycle rider with experience at all must admire how fast and safely the Spyder stops on three wheels versus two. Dude, we can panic stop in turns. Try THAT on two-wheels. (Actually, erm, please don't...)

SpyderMeLucky
04-17-2012, 03:26 PM
I believe my RS has a great brake system. However, the most dangerous motorcycle on the road, imo, is the one who takes his/her bike out and tries to show off, or who is too confident and doesn't pay attention to what he/she is doing.

Personally, I don't like crotch rockets b/c I've seen a lot of them on the highways where the rider is doing C R A Z Y stuff.

wyliec
04-17-2012, 03:29 PM
I have highway pegs and found myself sometimes fumbling when trying to go from the highway peg to the (small OEM) brake pedal. So, I purchased the oversized brake pedal from Tricled and now I don't have that problem.

I'm just curious as to where you (canner) have your foot when trying to find the brake.

canner is it possible to take a picture of your set up and post it here? I know it sounds like most members were coming down on you; but, it would have probably been better if you had tried to get some input as to how to correct the problem.

NancysToy
04-17-2012, 03:40 PM
If you take a MSRC or read the manual for the Spdyer, they both stress being familiar with the machine you are riding, be it 2 wheels or 3. Every machine is a little different, and you simply have to learn the characteristics of the machine you intend to ride. I have let experienced (2 wheel) riders ride my RT, and yes, they do have a tendency to grab air on the right handle bar. But that certainly doesn't make the Spdyer "unsafe". I have been fortunate enough to only have to make 1 panic stop and that was on my GS after only having ridden for a few months. I had no problem finding the brake and staying in control of the Spyder. I'm sorry you feel that way about yours, but I really think your off the reservation on the Spyder being unsafe. As an engineer myself, I truly appreciate all of the safety that BRP designed into the Spyder. I know there is no such thing as a "safe" motorcyle, but IMHO I think the Spyder is as close as you'll ever get.
:agree: Well said!

TOPDOGJIM
04-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Never had any issue braking. Matter of fact, when I have needed to stop more often than not my spyder would stop faster than I would. I do not miss a hand brake from the 2 wheel life. I am confident in my ryde and my ryding style.

Me 2, well said.

rogerb
04-17-2012, 03:56 PM
:agree: I have the handbrake on my Rt. There is nothing wrong with the braking system itself. With me the problem is I can't ride with my feet on the pegs all the time so I had to add the hand brake. I am quicker with my hand than trying to move my leg so its safer for me to have the hand brake just in case I need it. Is it expensive if it saves your life? Not to me. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Here's a comparison between the stock brake pedal and my replacement... :2thumbs:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=119709&stc=1

viperred
04-17-2012, 04:22 PM
I agree with all those who defend the Spyder's braking abilty. I think its great.:ani29:

SpyderDog65
04-17-2012, 04:42 PM
It just takes a bit of getting used to not having a handbreak. Bad breaks on a can am spyder now I know your crazy. The brakes on a spyder have immense stopping power they dam near toss your ass over the handle bars if your not careful

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-17-2012, 04:59 PM
I have an old anchor you can have...you pay the shipping...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:....Also I'm thinking of cutting my brake pedal to make it smaller , do you want the piece I cut off...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::yikes::gaa h::gaah: Mike

Smokinspyder
04-17-2012, 05:23 PM
While I respect your opinion about the brake pedal but I have had no problems finding the brake pedal to slow down or emergency stop. there has to be something we can figure out here to assist you with your problem . OR could it be that going to the spyder from typical 2 wheelers its just having to get used to the single brake ???? at least your keeping the spyder so it shows you have some taste ha ha I had to poke fun a little ;P

DynamoBT
04-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Another one here with no problem with the brakes on the Spyder. The braking exceeded my expectations the first time I rode one. Get yourself to a parking lot and practice stops from varying distances. Stay practicing until you feel comfortable. No one should exceed their comfort level on the streets. Too much out of our control as it is. Ride within your limits. Leave more space between you and cars in front until you are comfortable with what the Spyder can do. Lack of a handbrake should not be a problem with linked ABS brakes

MarkLawson
04-17-2012, 06:25 PM
There's no question about the effectiveness of the Spyder brakes as designed. The real problem may be your braking technique. Any MSF course will teach you to use both the hand brake and the foot brake when braking. If you have been braking properly all along on your two-wheeler, you will also brake properly on the Spyder, plus you'll even add some "air brake" action while trying to grab the hand brake that isn't there! As you feel the Spyder is unsafe, I must conclude your braking technique could use some improvement regardless of the bike you are riding, as you apparently are not in the habit of using your foot brake at all.

Practice safe braking on the Spyder and the Harley & you'll be much more confident on both.

FrankPa
04-17-2012, 06:40 PM
you better hang on tight... that sucker stops FAST !!!

joet82
04-17-2012, 06:43 PM

:agree:

jeromeb
04-17-2012, 06:44 PM
My touring club requires that CanAms ride in the rear of the formation because of the stopping agility and with rapid reponse. My retort is if you cannot control your ride in a safe matter I prefer you not ride or at least be in front of me. When I was in flight school, we spent hours in the trainers prior to each flight. Lesson is: practice until you feel a part of the machine and every action is immediate and intuitive. Coming off a sport touring bike the change required some thought changes but I adjusted quickly and like the controls better on the spyder. My hands feel better after a long ride. When I bought the RT I took it to the blue Ridges and rode the Parkway up and back and numerous side roads including the gap 4 times. I left feeling as one with machine and confident with our combined abilities. See you in Cuba.
Jerry

glasspyder
04-17-2012, 06:44 PM
So many perfectly worded replies... My two pennys...

The brake pedal is in the same place on my Buell, on my old vrod, and on my hubby's street glide. I've just gotten lazy. I no longer have to remember that the vrod liked a lil more front brake then the Buell.

V

KipDM
04-17-2012, 07:16 PM
if you don't use the foot brakes on any bike you ride you ARE the most dangerous bike on the road.
since the vast majority of bikes do NOT have distributed braking then you should ALWAYS use all the brake controls.
and i have heard TONs of riders say to NOT use the hand brake because it causes wrecks......

if u feel unsafe on your ride either practice more, or get a bike you are confident on.

bluestratos
04-17-2012, 07:23 PM
No problem with the foot brake here. I was natural the moment I got on the bike.

DLewis
04-17-2012, 07:43 PM
I think the "no hand brake" philosophy from BRP also helped the "type" of folks who never rode a motorcycle before the Spyder. The comfort of going from a cage to the open ride without having to learn a "new" task made it a WHOLE lot easier for me. That and the semi-auto meant that newbies (like me) could get the hang of riding really quick. :yes: JMHO

smurfette
04-17-2012, 07:44 PM

I agree with several of the other replies that say this sounds like a lack of familiarity with your ryde. Try finding either a Spyder specific training course or one designed for trikes/sidecars. Another good idea is to follow the exercises that are in your owner's manual. Putting the Spyder through its paces under controlled circumstances will improve your confidence greatly, and will help allay some of your apparent fear. Plus, with only one brake pedal, you only have ONE thing to think about if an emergency arises. No worries about potentially going butt over teakettle! Good Luck!:lecturef_smilie:

gln2
04-17-2012, 08:07 PM
I could not disagree with you more I have had and rode Harleys for more than 40+ years and every bike I have bought there has been a learning curve. The spyder is designed with more safety features than any Harley or Honda that I have ever owned I have yet to see a Nanny on any other bike not saying there isn't one but I for one have not seen it. There are some things about the nanny I not real pleased with but that is part of the safety stuff which I for one applaud BRP. I also own a 2009 Electraglide and a 2010 RTS- SM5 which I might add there was also a learning curve. I feel much more safe on my spyder than I have ever on any other of my two wheeled bikes. Thats why My Harley is collecting dust. I'm thinking that this issue boils down to with some people somethimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks. However as with most of us we keep learning otherwise we would not spend $20 or $30K on a trike that is unsafe or for that matter as you say the most unsafe bike on the road.

NancysToy
04-17-2012, 08:42 PM
There's no question about the effectiveness of the Spyder brakes as designed. The real problem may be your braking technique. Any MSF course will teach you to use both the hand brake and the foot brake when braking. If you have been braking properly all along on your two-wheeler, you will also brake properly on the Spyder, plus you'll even add some "air brake" action while trying to grab the hand brake that isn't there! As you feel the Spyder is unsafe, I must conclude your braking technique could use some improvement regardless of the bike you are riding, as you apparently are not in the habit of using your foot brake at all.

Practice safe braking on the Spyder and the Harley & you'll be much more confident on both.

Alas, the advent of distributed braking systems has instilled some bad habits in way too many riders. The old timers are very much tuned in to the use of both brakes at once for maximum stopping power (and of staying off the front brake in the dirt). Those who have become lazy or learned improperly due to the linked braking systems, are often in the habit of using just the hand or foot, but not both. Remote controls (and highway pegs) have reinforced those bad habits. It is understandable how someone arrives at the conclusion that anything else is unsafe, but in reality it just points out a need for relearning. The real problem here is mainly that old habits die hard.

aka1004
04-17-2012, 09:23 PM
I didn't click on this cuzz I thought it would be about a jet propelled bike or just people being nuts... But a spyder?????
Spyder may be a lot things but it does not fit this title.

Now that I read more, I see the size of brake pedal was brought up.
I got a piece of metal from home depot for $1.49, I don't even know what their original purpose was and cut it to 3" piece, drill holes and used it as extension on my pedal. Credit goes to an old lady on spyder in San Diego. :)

bikeguy
04-17-2012, 09:51 PM
I still reach for a front brake now and again and I wish I had a handbrake just to give my right hand something to do besides turn the throttle. But I don't need one bad enough to spend a lot of money for it. I keep my foot just to the right of the brake pedal and it's easy to find when I need it. One of the reasons I don't like floorboards is that they place my foot further from the brake. I never liked linked brake systems much on 2 wheelers because I liked the extra control of being able to use either brake or both. But I have no problem with them on on a 3 wheeler. I will disagree with some posters on the effectiveness of the Spyder brakes compared to other bikes, though. My RT stops well enough and it's better than some but it definitely takes a back seat to the BMW R1100RT I was riding when I got the RT.

Cotton

kinggeek
04-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Had two deer jump out in front of me doing 60MPH at 5:00AM one week after buying the RT. I stood up on the brake. I stopped incredibly fast and never came close to being out of control. If I was on a two wheeler with a hand brake I would have been in the hospital.

Mexican
04-17-2012, 10:13 PM
I do have a problem with my spyder brakes,,,,,,,, they squeal when i'm pushing it out of the garage!!!:dontknow::shemademe_smilie:

Spyderjockey
04-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Of all the bikes I've had over the years my Spyder will "out brake" any and all of them!! I, unlike you, believe the Spyder is the "safest" bike on the road. BTW if you just use the hand brake on other bikes you are getting about half of it's braking power and I believe you are headed for a disaster, like having the bike skid out from under you in some circumstances.....like wet roads or loose gravel or sand on pavement surfaces especially early in the spring in states where snow and ice have had to be dealt with. Good luck to you with your Spyder and just be ever aware of where your foot is in relationship to the brake pedal because as others have said....... the brake pedal is always in the same place.:thumbup:

bone crusher
04-17-2012, 11:06 PM

Huh? I think the Spyder braking system is plenty safe and easy to use...

Maybe all your modifications have made it harder to get on the brake pedal?

I've never heard this complaint before...

CyncySpyder
04-18-2012, 01:10 AM

But I'll be honest with ya, if I really felt my machine was the least bit unsafe, I'd either modify it to my liking or it'd go down the road without me on it! There's already far too many dangerous distractions out there without that mental 'black dog' lurking in the sub-conscious too. :shocked: The Spyder is Very Unique machine in a catagory all its own & sure, there are changes that many of us would like to see & as time goes by, BRP is listening & doing what it thinks is best for the company and brand. You have options available to you to help remedy your issue, if you so choose. I truly hope you can find satisfaction with your machine, and even tho I respect that you (like all of us) are entitled to your opinion, to state that that the Spyder is the MOST DANGEROUS MOTORCYCLE ON THE ROAD :crackpipe: Teddy & I wish you luck in NOT killing yourself:pray:

J. Mark
04-18-2012, 05:01 AM
;) I really don't get the issue...I have plenty of stopping power......
The Spyder is Very Unique machine in a catagory all its own & sure, there are changes that many of us would like to see & as time goes by, BRP is listening & doing what it thinks is best for the company and brand. You have options available to you to help remedy your issue, if you so choose. I truly hope you can find satisfaction with your machine, and even tho I respect that you (like all of us) are entitled to your opinion, to state that that the Spyder is the MOST DANGEROUS MOTORCYCLE ON THE ROAD :crackpipe: Teddy & I wish you luck in NOT killing yourself:pray:

Bob Denman
04-18-2012, 06:51 AM
I don't think that Canner has been back here... :shocked: :dontknow:

Bootie
04-18-2012, 07:29 AM

I know this has probably made a lot of people mad, however, one should not have to ride wondering where the brake pedal is.I have been riding since 1964 and I missed the hand brake on the Spyder. The addition of the ISCI handbrake was the first mod I installed after buying the RT. This allows me to rest my feet on the highway pegs and not worry about stopping. The Handbrake is well worth its cost.

packbuckbrew
04-18-2012, 07:32 AM
Totally disagree, the brake on the spyder is just fine.

bullant12
04-18-2012, 07:36 AM
I think we can agree... Close this thread!

Lamonster
04-18-2012, 07:36 AM
3 pages so far and not one person has agreed with him? I think this is a first. nojoke

Neez
04-18-2012, 07:41 AM
I didn't click on this cuzz I thought it would be about a jet propelled bike or just people being nuts... But a spyder?????
Spyder may be a lot things but it does not fit this title.

Now that I read more, I see the size of brake pedal was brought up.
I got a piece of metal from home depot for $1.49, I don't even know what their original purpose was and cut it to 3" piece, drill holes and used it as extension on my pedal. Credit goes to an old lady on spyder in San Diego. :)I did the same, since I usually ride toes out. I don't have to twist my foot to reach the pedal now. As a bonus, with this setup I can heel brake from my hiway pegs, as well. I've been riding bikes since 1960 and I prefer Spyder braking to any other.

Bob Denman
04-18-2012, 07:43 AM
I think we can agree... Close this thread!

:agree: The dead horse has taken enough punishment already...
:bdh:

arntufun
04-18-2012, 08:03 AM
3 pages so far and not one person has agreed with him? I think this is a first. nojoke

This thread reminds me of the thread I started last year that said high windshield are ugly on a RS !!!! :roflblack: I know never to do that again !!!! :yikes:

retread
04-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Lessee... he's been a member over a year, 8 posts. I haven't looked up his other posts, but this one sounds like fishing from a slow moving boat.

john

chickridin
04-18-2012, 09:09 AM
I love my Spyder and his brake pedal!! :2thumbs: :yes::b2b:

steve635
04-18-2012, 09:14 AM
To say a Spyder is the most dangerous motorcycle on the road seems a bit of an overstatement, but the absence of a hand brake has been my only complaint about my new RS. On the other hand, I only had the bike for 3 days before I left for a previously scheduled vacation. I was already getting somewhat more comfortable with the setup, so I'll give it a little while before deciding whether I need the handbrake.

Firefly
04-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Wait..... the Spyder has brakes????:hun: ;)

Lamonster
04-18-2012, 09:17 AM
I will say walking on the side and backing it down a trailer ramp without a hand brake can be a problem but far from dangerous.

zrc
04-18-2012, 09:20 AM
That is what reverse is for... EXTREME unloading.

I just had a moment where I pictured Lamont on spyder flying off a trailer backwards with Roscoe Peecole train laughing or whatever it was he did and someone saying "Da** you spyder boys"

glasspyder
04-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Ha! It's an RT! It is supposed to pull the trailer, not sit on it! :roflblack:
V

I will say walking on the side and backing it down a trailer ramp without a hand brake can be a problem but far from dangerous.

Lamonster
04-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Ha! It's an RT! It is supposed to pull the trailer, not sit on it! :roflblack:
V

:agree:
But there are times like when I brought it up to Pete's place in over a foot of snow in the roads. nojoke:yikes:

Dragonrider
04-18-2012, 10:06 AM
The ISCI handbrake system is one of the best engineered devices I've ever seen for a bike, and it is not hard to install on the RS - certainly not $600 worth of work. I have installed two of these -one on my RS and one on a friend's RT.

For me, the issue is manual vs semi-auto shifter - with a manual clutch, I'm always reaching for the hand brake - just like my other bikes. So installing the ISCI kit is a must - for me. With no clutch lever, I'm fine with a "foot only" system.

If your RS is a manual, and your Hardly is as well, you may have the same issue. Many two wheel riders use the front (hand) brake far more than the rear (foot) brake - which is why so many new rides have "linked brakes".

All I can say is you need to set you bike up in a way that's right for you.

Bob Denman
04-18-2012, 10:18 AM
All I can say is you need to set you bike up in a way that's right for you.
:agree: Well said! :clap:

NOW can we close this thread?? :pray:

Lamonster
04-18-2012, 10:25 AM
:agree: Well said! :clap:

:roflblack: you keep posting and reading a thread you want to close. You just can't help yourself can you :joke:

Bob Denman
04-18-2012, 10:27 AM
:opps::opps: Hi...I'm Bob and I can't help myself! :opps::opps:

bullant12
04-18-2012, 10:41 AM
:opps::opps: Hi...I'm Bob and I can't help myself! :opps::opps:

Lamont doesn't call you the Noisy Member for nothing!:roflblack::roflblack::joke:

SteveMac
04-18-2012, 10:43 AM
:roflblack: you keep posting and reading a thread you want to close. You just can't help yourself can you :joke:

:thumbup: Now that is freaking HI-Larious!

SpyderAnn01
04-18-2012, 10:53 AM
When this thread hit 3 pages I fnally decided to see what all the talk was about. I thought the remark that someone's touring group made Spyders ride in the back because of their stopping ability was pretty amusing. A two wheel group we ride with makes us ride in back (all trikes) because they can't see around us not because they are afraid of running us over when we exhibit our superior stopping power. :roflblack:

Cliff-Co.
04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Well this ole timer, in colo.grew up in the (50'S) a ride'n Harley's & Indian's, to Hi-School 14 miles on a gravel road, & my grand-dad, dis-connected the front brake, OR I probably wouldn't be here a add'n my 2-cent's, & still I got a couple harley's, (55+ yrs ride'n time) & I never think about the front brake!!!, & it's like Scotty say's old habits never die!!! (p.s. I do forget ta down- shift them 2-wheeler's some-times !!:yikes: after a spin on the spyder!!:shocked:

ARtraveler
04-18-2012, 11:13 AM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Bob Denman
04-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Lamont doesn't call you the Noisy Member for nothing!:roflblack::roflblack::joke:
That's nothing compared to what the Missus calls me... :opps: :roflblack:

wolfe
04-18-2012, 11:39 AM
:yes:I love my spyder :ohyea::clap:

Bytemi
04-18-2012, 12:19 PM
I think the Spyders stopping power is great. I actually have to remember not to brake too hard when my husband is followng my his Triumph because he needs more room to stop than I do. I don't think I have ever missed the brake when trying to stop in an emergency or any other time.

I love my Spyder.

kngfsh27
01-07-2015, 08:02 PM
No problem with the foot brake here. I was natural the moment I got on the bike.
I went from a Harley to the Spyder. I stopped missing the hand brake before I was out of the dealer lot.

Roadster Renovations
01-07-2015, 10:25 PM

I have a few ideas in the works for a cheaper hand braking system. I will not go into detail other than to say the one I am trying to build will be able to effectively stop the bike in a panic situation as well as the foot brake. This will require some engineering modification to overcome the pressure difference between squeezing with the hand and pressing the brake pedal with your foot. The technology is there. It just needs to be put together. Hang in there!
My ultimate goal is to allow soldiers to ride even with loss of both legs and even one arm. This will also require a better power steering system or assist to the existing one.

Dragonrider
01-08-2015, 12:24 AM
You can install the ISCI system yourself. It's terrific, and works a treat. The last one I bought was $1100, and took me about 2 hours to install.

Put one on my GS SM5, and my friend's RT SM5 - never needed one on my RT SE5s... perhaps it's a walking and chewing gum thing....

chris56
01-08-2015, 02:05 AM
there was a side-by-side brake-test with a spyder RS and a BMW Tourer here in Germany :

from 60mph to Zero .. the spyder needed 114 ft which was 23 ft "faster" than the BMW

thats why I`m a spyderlover ;)

robmorg
01-08-2015, 02:44 AM
:agree: Well said!

:roflblack: you keep posting and reading a thread you want to close. You just can't help yourself can you :joke:It's really interesting reading a thread that's almost 3 years old and then brought back to life. The "tone" of the posts, not to mention the posters who are no longer around, gives you an appreciation for how short "computer forum" years are – kind of like "dog years" :shocked:

Bob, do you have something else to say, or do you still want to close this thread. :roflblack:

Roadster Renovations
01-08-2015, 02:49 AM
:opps: Guess I should have looked at the dates a little better......

BajaRon
01-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Well, after all, this is a thread about 'Not being able to STOP!'. I guess there is more than one person that Can't Stop... Posting!

robmorg
01-08-2015, 09:50 AM
:opps: Guess I should have looked at the dates a little better......Not at all, Doc. Your recent post was very interesting. I wish you success with the project. :thumbup:

BTW, What state do you call home? Your "location" just says "United States", but your map suggests that you are somewhere here in the NE.

Roadster Renovations
01-08-2015, 11:20 AM
Not at all, Doc. Your recent post was very interesting. I wish you success with the project. :thumbup:

BTW, What state do you call home? Your "location" just says "United States", but your map suggests that you are somewhere here in the NE.

I'm in Indiana! Where it 0 degrees this morning. Don't know what the wind chill was! Had to set up a trickle charge on the truck so it would start.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
01-08-2015, 11:25 AM
i will never understand why people want to cheap out on their personal safety, if you feel your tires are unsafe change them,
if you feel you need a hand brake then get one, if you can't afford it then sell the bike or a lung.

CapNCrunch
01-08-2015, 11:42 AM

I SOLVED THAT ISSUE WITH THE "FULL SIZE" BRAKE PEDAL FROM TRIC LED ($45.00). I agree, the OEM pedal was too small to find in a hurry.
CapNCrunch : =)

ThreeWheels
01-08-2015, 12:25 PM
I guess you should read the last item about lurkers responding after 6 months:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?31329-Missing-Joke-Forum-so-I-ll-just-start-a-thread&p=357118&viewfull=1#post357118

Rockwall
01-08-2015, 07:20 PM
On one of my first Spyder rides I was idling in heavy traffic, missed the brake for a few seconds and almost hit the truck in front of me. It was totally my fault. Since then I have become very used to the foot brake and have never had even the slightest problem. With all of the mechanical problem posts out there it is good to see one about the great braking (and other) systems on our rides.:doorag:

pauly1
01-08-2015, 09:01 PM
Where the hel& did this come from after over 2 years? :banghead: Who's baiting?

Wayne

Gray Ghost
01-08-2015, 10:31 PM
Where the hel& did this come from after over 2 years?

It is kind of common for someone new on a forum to read old threads and sometimes comment. To them it is new stuff. The first one to comment just joined last month.

Yazz
01-09-2015, 12:26 PM
I guess you should read the last item about lurkers responding after 6 months:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?31329-Missing-Joke-Forum-so-I-ll-just-start-a-thread&p=357118&viewfull=1#post357118

Love that thread! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

kngfsh27
01-09-2015, 09:50 PM
Holy buckets, I better run and get my old Harley back. Here I thought after riding my RTL that it had better brakes. I don't miss the hand brake at all. Haven't missed it since I rode out the drive of the dealer. My RTL is 10 times safer than my old Harley. But I also ride within my limits and not like an idiot. Do yourself a favor, unload the Harley. Then spend your time on the Spyder. Let me see, no clutch lever, no hand brake lever, no putting the feet down when I stop, no brainer. Oh, I almost forgot, I got my RTL two months ago.

MikeinGA
01-11-2015, 12:12 AM
Well, after all, this is a thread about 'Not being able to STOP!'. I guess there is more than one person that Can't Stop... Posting!

Ron,
My 2011 RS-S SE5 stopped well, But after installing new brake rotor and pads on the rear wheel I got from BajaRon, it stopped 12 feet shorter from 60 mph to 0. That's big improvement!

Mike

boomboom1
01-11-2015, 12:50 PM
When I had my floorboards installed on my 2011 RS, the foot brake changed from being a toe activated brake to a heel activated brake. I was not aware that this would be the case. The toe activated brake is superior, in my opinion, because it is easier to "find". In my opinion the heel brake is somewhat unsafe. When in a lot of traffic I keep my foot as close as possible to the brake pedal so that I can react quickly. If I had it to do over, again I would opt for the hand brake or not get floorboards. Other than braking, my Spyder seems very safe to me.

JerryB
01-11-2015, 01:43 PM
Hi boom,

Re: If I had it to do over, again I would opt for the hand brake or not get floorboards.

You might consider this option: http://www.isciride.com/iscirsparts.htm#brakelevers

I think it would put you back to a toe brake setup,

Jerry Baumchen