PDA

View Full Version : New member with a left leg prosthesis question

cal45
04-17-2012, 05:56 AM
Hello, I just became interested in a Spyder for a quick around town vehicle and went and looked at them yesterday. The design of these are perfect for folks that are above knee left leg amputee's as your left foot is not required to operate any controls while in motion. Not sure if there are any folks here that wear a left leg prosthetic but I am curious to know if it is difficult to keep the leg stable on the foot peg while riding. I'm thinking I may need to construct some sort of velcro or bungee cord set up to keep the foot on the peg.

Any help here would be appreciated.... Thanks!

docdoru
04-17-2012, 06:13 AM
:welcome:

Paula(Butch2025)
04-17-2012, 06:14 AM
Check out some floorboards to keep your foot on a wider pedal, and or friend, Seth, has a velcro strap he uses to keep his legs from "flopping about". He would a great person for you to contact here on Spyderlovers too.
--Paula

cal45
04-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Check out some floorboards to keep your foot on a wider pedal, and or friend, Seth, has a velcro strap he uses to keep his legs from "flopping about". He would a great person for you to contact here on Spyderlovers too.
--Paula

Thanks - I was already looking at the floor board for my left side. Curious to see what fellow member Seth has set up. Seth, if you see this please let me know what you have done. ;)

markjperry
04-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Hello, I just became interested in a Spyder for a quick around town vehicle and went and looked at them yesterday. The design of these are perfect for folks that are above knee left leg amputee's as your left foot is not required to operate any controls while in motion. Not sure if there are any folks here that wear a left leg prosthetic but I am curious to know if it is difficult to keep the leg stable on the foot peg while riding. I'm thinking I may need to construct some sort of velcro or bungee cord set up to keep the foot on the peg.

Hi:
I had some tabs added to my ISCI floorboards so there are no straps. I just get on and ride. On the right side I have 3 tabs. One to keep my foot from sliding off, One to keep my foot from hitting the exhaust and on to keep my foot from getting under the foot brake linkage. On the left side I only have one tab to keep my foot from sliding off.

thehawk
04-17-2012, 01:27 PM
A year ago March I was looking at Spyders when, on a weekend tour of the Texas Hill Country, I encountered a gentleman on a Metallic Spyder. He was riding with some friends so I approached the group to talk to him.

He had a hip replacement and a left leg prosthesis, was 82 years young and had driven from Wisconsin to join his family and friends. It was his second Spyder:). He became my hero and 3 months later I left 2 wheels for 3.

Oft times our enabled ryders put the rest of us to shame!!

Jump in ... it's a blast!!!

thehawk

cal45
04-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Hi:
I had some tabs added to my ISCI floorboards so there are no straps. I just get on and ride. On the right side I have 3 tabs. One to keep my foot from sliding off, One to keep my foot from hitting the exhaust and on to keep my foot from getting under the foot brake linkage. On the left side I only have one tab to keep my foot from sliding off.

Thanks for the pic, looks like it was factory made. I do not think tabs will work for me as my left foot angles out to the left as my leg is bent, so it does not sit flush and straight on a florrboard as the front of the foot will stick out over the left side. I will need some sort of velcro strap that I can quickly engage/release to keep the prosthetic from bouncing off the peg/floorboard.

cal45
04-17-2012, 01:48 PM
A year ago March I was looking at Spyders when, on a weekend tour of the Texas Hill Country, I encountered a gentleman on a Metallic Spyder. He was riding with some friends so I approached the group to talk to him.

He had a hip replacement and a left leg prosthesis, was 82 years young and had driven from Wisconsin to join his family and friends. It was his second Spyder:). He became my hero and 3 months later I left 2 wheels for 3.

Oft times our enabled ryders put the rest of us to shame!!

Jump in ... it's a blast!!!

thehawk

Thanks - I am looking foward to it but I may have to sell one of my toys before I can buy another first. ;)

Star Cruiser
04-18-2012, 12:25 AM
firstly :welcome: I am an above knee (left) amputee I had an RS with the SE5, 2008. What a great way for me to be back on the "bike"

I tried a floorboard and my leg was not long enough to "Plant" onto the board so it kind of just hung there with no support. I have a C-Leg and thought the floorboard would be more comfortable. I could not find a way to adjust it up and down to meet the length of the prosthetic. The right side with a floorboard, I found did not keep my right foot close enough to the brake peddle.

That being said, my foot does not slip off of the peg as long as I have a little pressure on it. I also found that when I wear riding shoes, or boots with a bit of a heel, It is even better as it "grabs" onto the foot peg.

Just starting to get used to the RT-S, but so far no issues at all with the stock. The more upright position and slightly larger pegs seem to allow me a "non-slip" position.

cal45
04-18-2012, 04:48 AM
firstly :welcome: I am an above knee (left) amputee I had an RS with the SE5, 2008. What a great way for me to be back on the "bike"

I tried a floorboard and my leg was not long enough to "Plant" onto the board so it kind of just hung there with no support. I have a C-Leg and thought the floorboard would be more comfortable. I could not find a way to adjust it up and down to meet the length of the prosthetic. The right side with a floorboard, I found did not keep my right foot close enough to the brake peddle.

That being said, my foot does not slip off of the peg as long as I have a little pressure on it. I also found that when I wear riding shoes, or boots with a bit of a heel, It is even better as it "grabs" onto the foot peg.

Just starting to get used to the RT-S, but so far no issues at all with the stock. The more upright position and slightly larger pegs seem to allow me a "non-slip" position.

Thanks for the reply. I too am wearing a C-Leg and when I first sat on the Spyder, my left foot reached the peg fine but it does sort of angle in a NW to SE direction (toe to heel) so I wasn't sure if it would bounce off the peg while in motion, I normally do not wear any shoes with a heal as they tend to give me a little hitch in my gate as I walk. I really will not know if I need some sort of velcro strap until I actually ride one. When I had asked the salesman if they let customers ride one on their property to see if they like it, he told me no. I wonder if I was told no because of my condition.

rogerb
04-18-2012, 06:18 AM
When I bought my RT I had a broken ancle. Two dealers wouldn't let me test drive due to insurance requirements. Even after I bought it they loaded it on the trailer for me to take it home. Insurance companies make the rules. I would hate to see how much they control our lives. :yikes:

Lamonster
04-18-2012, 07:39 AM

If there's a will there's a way :doorag:
:welcome:

lonnibdd
04-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Hello I am a right bka and I put foward pegs on and a hydraulic brake for hand and was all I needed welcome and good luck.

TuckMiddle
04-20-2012, 07:53 AM

Cal45
Sent you a private message a couple minutes ago. Good luck with your Spyder, I know you'll work it out.

Tuck

kawakii
04-21-2012, 07:46 PM
We have floorboards on our Spyder and use a velcro bicycles strap over my foot to hold it in place. They are normally used on bicycles not motorcycles but work great and quickly.

Here is the link : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZMDK5M/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

The floorboards we installed were sold on:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/lightning-performance-driver-floorboard-kit-can-am-spyder-rs-models-black-08-and-newer/part/LP-08174B

We wrap loop the strap through the cuts in the middle of the floorboard and then velcro my foot down. Works great, simple and easy.

Hope that helps or gives you some ideas. Look out for Can Am demos days in your areas --alot of dealerships don't allow test drives on new bikes.

cal45
04-22-2012, 08:08 AM
We have floorboards on our Spyder and use a velcro bicycles strap over my foot to hold it in place. They are normally used on bicycles not motorcycles but work great and quickly.

Here is the link : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZMDK5M/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

The floorboards we installed were sold on:

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/lightning-performance-driver-floorboard-kit-can-am-spyder-rs-models-black-08-and-newer/part/LP-08174B

We wrap loop the strap through the cuts in the middle of the floorboard and then velcro my foot down. Works great, simple and easy.

Hope that helps or gives you some ideas. Look out for Can Am demos days in your areas --alot of dealerships don't allow test drives on new bikes.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated !!

cal45
04-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Cal45
Sent you a private message a couple minutes ago. Good luck with your Spyder, I know you'll work it out.

Tuck

Hi Tuck,
Just replied to your PM. Thanks!