PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar Risers -- what does everything think ?

kawakii
04-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

Jake and I are considering putting risers on our Spyder, we are considering the Kewlmetal Adjustable Risers since we are both different heights and then we could adjust them depending on who is driving. Jake plans on going back to two wheels and giving me the Spyder as my ride. He has always been a two wheel guy but bought the Spyder because it worked for me ( i'm paraplegic and the Spyder allows us to bring my wheelchair along, with me as a passenger when Jake drives or just me driving ). Jake will still drive the Spyder when we want to go for a ride together I still like being a passenger :) so the adjustable risers will allow for both of us to be comfortable. Jake once he buys another two wheeler will drive that when he's alone most of the time to save the miles on our Spyder since it will be the much more expensive machine since he'll buy a used inexpensive sportbike.

I am hearing good and bad things about the handlebar risers...I am only 5 feet tall 110lbs, so I am hoping they'll make the ride more comfortable for me. Oh and buying an RT is not an option for us our 2011 RS-S is paid off and well an RT doesn't allow for a good wheelchair mounting bracket that'll allow for a passenger. So, as much as the RT is great we want to stay with out RS-S for the looks, and wheelchair rack position. :)

so anyone have the adjustable risers ? Any opinions ? Thanks <3

Capt John
04-17-2012, 03:22 AM
I have the KM risers and I love them. The 3 way adjustable settings are great! These are the risers I would recommend.

rcantrell52
04-17-2012, 06:00 AM
We put the Heli 3 inch handlebar risers on our 2010 RS-S. Made a big difference in our riding posture. Made for a more pleasurable ride.That is the best modification that we had done to the RS.
Reese

NancysToy
04-17-2012, 06:00 AM
I don't know what you could have possibly heard bad about the risers...except maybe that with some it is hard to get enough slack in the cables when you install them. They are a great addition to any Spyder RS. Surprisingly, they will make steering much easier as you can both push and pull the closer bars, and keep your elbows a bit bent. I doubt you will find a need to adjust differently when your husband or you ride. My wife has 4" risers (1" BRP & 3" ESI). She is 5'2" and I am 6'0". We both find them comfortable and useful.

SPYD1
04-17-2012, 06:15 AM
I have them as well and agree with Scotty. I haven't heard anyone complain about them and they give the driver a much more comfortable ride. For me it is one of the "must do" mods for my needs in relation to comfort and drive-ability. Although I have many more mods for the same reason.

arntufun
04-17-2012, 06:28 AM
The biggest complaint is................ They don't look very good. The best looking one IMO is the helibar riser, but even that one looks out of place. I just don't like the look of the risers that you have to cut the bars.

I perfer looks over comfort, so I lose out on the risers.

warp10
04-17-2012, 07:00 AM
I put the Kewmetal 7" bars on the RS, much better riding position. Karen is 5'2" and fit her just fine.

SpyderMeLucky
04-17-2012, 07:49 AM
My bike came with the 3" risers and I LOVE it!! I didn't know they would make that much of a difference. They added comfort and brought a new ease to the steering. :D

You Gotta Get Them!!! You won't be sorry.

zrc
04-17-2012, 08:09 AM
I have the helibar risers, if you want any more info about them PM me!

kawakii
04-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks Everyone, our "Girls on Spyders" Facebook group had a very different opinion about risers in general so it's nice to get some more opinions here. Many said they were uncomfortable and were better left undone so I was confused and a little worried about investing in the over 300.00 modification without getting come more opinions and info.

zrc
04-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Throw up a post looking for someone in your area that might have some you could sit on their spyder and have a feel for them.

With this modification it is important to be sure, after cutting / moding this area isnt as easy to go back with.

Bob Denman
04-17-2012, 09:15 AM
The biggest complaint is................ They don't look very good. The best looking one IMO is the helibar riser, but even that one looks out of place.
I prefer looks over comfort, so I lose out on the risers.

"Form over function???" :shocked:

Randy...Randy...Randy...

Rayelljay
04-17-2012, 09:35 AM
I originally bought the ESI risers and had difficulty getting enough slack for safe operation. I went ahead and bought the Kewlmetal adjustable risers...shoulda done that in the first place.
They are a slightly different mechanical layout and are much more permissive of slight cable rerouting.
I love 'em.
Ray

ARtraveler
04-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Adding risers is a good option on the RS. I had them on my 2008 and 2009. Started with the BRP 1 1/2 (the only ones available at that time). They were not satisfactory. My dealer fabricated some 3 1/2 risers and I like the position on his--so I bought a set for the 2008 and then a set for the 2009. I am 5ft 5" and I appreciated the sitting up position. It is painful for me to ride in a crouch.

daveinva
04-17-2012, 10:30 AM
I own the ESI Easy Risers. Only issue is getting enough cable slack, it's a tight fit. But very happy with them, and they look good too :thumbup:

tobor9
04-17-2012, 11:46 AM
I also have the ESI 4.5" Easy Raisers and love them, getting enough slack was a:cus:but it was worth it for the comfort and ease of driving it now!

cyclelover63
07-29-2012, 06:37 PM
I put the Kewmetal 7" bars on the RS, much better riding position. Karen is 5'2" and fit her just fine.

I was thinking of putting 7" on my Rs...Could you give me an idea what has to be replaced as far as cables and all,and estimated cost?

GA-SPYDER
07-29-2012, 07:59 PM
The only negative that I had after installing E.S.I. 4" risers was the stock seat. The rider forward, sport bike position worked with the stock seat, but after adding the risers, that led to the Russel Day-Long seat re-do....
Risers, seat, and highway pegs combination for me was perfect. I even went back and shortened the handlebars more, which allowed me to pull the bars back even farther (more cable slack).
:thumbup: