PDA

View Full Version : My bad Spyder Experience from Jim Potts Woodstock, IL... hope BRP will help.

rcho
04-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Go the 2012 RED RSS SE5 on 3-31-2012 The first day I bought the spider, I got it home I notice the horn was not working. The trunk was missing 1 of the 4 screws part number 210262080, Hex. Forming Screw M6 X 20. that should not be missed per PDI instructions. Two of the plastic washer by the front bumper cover was missing. part number 705003207, two plastic washer front side panel was broken by over-tighten by the tech doing the PDI. the foam for the AAPTS Sensor and M6 Caged Nut, M6 x 20 Hexagon flange screw was never installed, the adapts sensor was still at the top of the shocks cable tie there.. also the connectors for the horn is on the other side of the shock.. they charge me for the PDI and they are not doing it right or not every doing anything at all. WHO know what they cut corners on? and what is not done correctly.. I have to order a service manual online to find some of the stuffs that is not correctly assembled. The weld joints on the frame have rust spots, I told the service department,.. the told me to bring it in for them to inspect it.. I was going to wait until the 600 mile maintenance to do that, and also was planning to get the 3 year BEST Plus Warranty when I'm there.

If I pay for some dealer to assemble this motorcycle I expect to get some good quality work done right the first time on the spider not some short cut and not installed properly. The air sensor was not install to the side of the bike it was above the shock. I have taken a picture to show prove it needed. I shouldn't have to drive back so far this dealer is 1.5 hrs away, [I choose this dealer is because the ONLY Certifed Platnium Level BRP Dealer.. ] to get the bike done the proper way if it was done the first time around the right way. The owner of the dealer JIM Potts Motor Group call me on 4-16-2012 at 3:15pm Chicago time, Jim himself call me and told me that I was not allow to step into his showroom/ dealer due to a survey I had fill out. He call me and my family a lair, and said I had no control over my kids. He also said that he would make sure that I do not become a member of BRP. I have never been threaten by a dealer saying that he would make sure that I would not become a member of BRP and get services for my bike. I would expect more professional service from a dealer who would want his grading rank in good standard to work things out with the customers to get a better ranking score for the survey. I was just giving my honest opinion on the survey. Is this the professional way for a dealer to say or treat a customer? Up till this day its still missing screw, broke plastic washer, missing plastic washer, no foam for cage nut for me to install the AAPTS sensor,, I fixed the horn, and I should not be taking panels out and fixing this, I should be enjoying my first and brand new bike.. I have never own a bike before,.. because of the spyder ,.. I'm into bikes.. but with no service and bad experience from this dealer,.. I will never buy a bike for and BRP products, boats, atv, UTV again in my life. I work as a premise tech for USA largest Telco company, Home Phone, Cell Phone, Internet & TV . I see different customer and in customer's home everyday,,… I will be letting all my customer know how I feel about this dealer… I have try and email BRP.. Hope BRP make it right for me..

kawakii
04-16-2012, 10:59 PM
First off I'm sorry for your trouble. My suggestion would be to go to another dealer and have them do a full inspection of the Spyder. You can buy the BEST warranty through any dealer and even some of the sponser dealers sell them online or over the phone. So the other dealer can't prevent you from buying an extended warranty.

I would contact Carlos and let BRP and him know about the dealer and that you are having the bike inspected at another dealer and sending him the details of the inspection. You can get Carlos information right on this site.

docdoru
04-17-2012, 04:31 AM
The owner of the dealer JIM Potts Motor Group call me on 4-16-2012 at 3:15pm Chicago time, Jim himself call me and told me that I was not allow to step into his showroom/ dealer due to a survey I had fill out. He call me and my family a lair, and said I had no control over my kids. He also said that he would make sure that I do not become a member of BRP. I have never been threaten by a dealer saying that he would make sure that I would not become a member of BRP and get services for my bike.
Another Platinum dealer to avoid. :yikes: What is "a BRP member" ?
:congrats:for the RSS :thumbup:

rogerb
04-17-2012, 05:22 AM
BRP needs a new grading system for their dealers???

TuckMiddle
04-17-2012, 05:39 AM
Another Platinum dealer to avoid. :yikes: What is "a BRP member" ?
:congrats:for the RSS :thumbup:

Well, isn't that nice of Jim to call and see how you're doing. I'd make damn sure that all this incredable post gets sent to at least the President of BMP, sales and support VPs and Carlos. Probably to the President of Bombardier also. I can't understand what this guy Jim is thinking, but a little charm school seminar sure wouldn't hurt him, would it? :banghead:

Good luck with getting your bike corrected and Congratulations on the Spyder. They are wonderful and I know you will find a dealer that is worthy of your business. :cheers:

Tuck

soaring hawk
04-17-2012, 05:56 AM
Maybe BRP needs a secret spyder owner to take there spyder in for service and inspect and rate the dealerships. I have'nt had the best of treatment at two dealerships . They should pattern the dealership like cowtown. I'd kill for a dealership like that.:doorag:

Paula(Butch2025)
04-17-2012, 06:10 AM
Maybe BRP needs a secret spyder owner to take there spyder in for service and inspect and rate the dealerships. I have'nt had the best of treatment at two dealerships . They should pattern the dealership like cowtown. I'd kill for a dealership like that.:doorag:

Come on up to Caswell Cycle in Mora, MN...I know it's a bit of a drive for you, but the staff and service are well worth it.

We are having our first Minnesota Spyders ride for the season this Saturday, April 21, 10am, it would be a perfect time to come up and check them out.
--Paula

fastfraser
04-17-2012, 06:35 AM
Sorry for your troubles, but I would love to here the other side of the story. The dealers reactions seem a little extreme based solely on what you have stated .:dontknow:

Buttsy
04-17-2012, 06:38 AM
I've been working with this dealer for over a year and have never seen any of the type of problems described! I know I'm not alone in this. :dontknow:

I hope there really is another side to the story..............there usually is?

Bob Denman
04-17-2012, 06:49 AM
Wow! What exactly did you say about them in the survey? It must have been pretty... descriptive... :shocked:
Anyway; good luck with this issue and I hope that everything gets sorted out quickly! :thumbup:

Lamonster
04-17-2012, 06:49 AM
Sorry for your troubles, but I would love to here the other side of the story. The dealers reactions seem a little extreme based solely on what you have stated .:dontknow:

:agree:
When I got my RS/GS it was setup pretty much the same way, it happens but my guess is there is much more to the way this was handled by the customer if the rest of the story has any merit.

Macca
04-17-2012, 06:58 AM
I've been working with this dealer for over a year and have never seen any of the type of problems described! I know I'm not alone in this. :dontknow:

I too have been dealing with Jim Potts for a year and I've never experienced anything but A-1 service from his crew. Last time I had my bike in for some mods and oil change Jim gave me a loaner vehicle for the couple of days they needed to complete the work on my RT. I know there are others who will back up the great service offered by Jim Potts.

You stated the service techs said to bring your RS in to be inspected I'm not sure why you would want to wait for your 600 mile. I would have brought it in right away. Things might have worked out differently.

docdoru
04-17-2012, 07:01 AM
When I got my RS/GS it was setup pretty much the same way...
That was the first Platinum Dealer in Tampa Bay area...:shocked:

Papa
04-17-2012, 07:15 AM

I agree. I moved to this dealer because of the service they provide.

wyliec
04-17-2012, 07:38 AM
There are always 3 sides to every story. In this case: the customer, the dealer, and the unbiased truth.

We don't know all the facts. But, from experience, you may want to be careful with bad mouthing on the internet. Although you may think you're protected and can't be sued for libel, you can. You can be sued by another (private) individual, or a business/company.

I'm glad to see that Mr. Orange and others stepped up to provide more info on this dealer.

To the original poster: The individual you may want to contact is Carlo, not Carlos. However, I sent Carlo an e-mail this weekend and I think he may still be out on 'sabbatical'. I say that because Chrystelle contacted me yesterday. She is just as good as Carlo to deal with. My only suggestion when e-mailing or talking to either Carlo or Chrystelle is that you leave the attitude at home.

Good luck in getting your problems resolved.

Bob Denman
04-17-2012, 07:38 AM
You mentioned taking a picture to show as documentation... Did you take more than one? I think that perhaps putting them up here to show the "as-delivered" conditon of your Spyder might help us to see just what you're up against...

Lamonster
04-17-2012, 07:47 AM
You mentioned taking a picture to show as documentation... Did you take more than one? I think that perhaps putting them up here to show the "as-delivered" conditon of your Spyder might help us to see just what you're up against...

What good will that do? Like I said mine was delivered the same way and I'm sure his was too. The problem seems to be in how he handled the situation. As you can read from other folks this sounds like a good dealer and there has to be a lot more to this story. I'm always suspect when someone comes on SL and there very first post is to slam a dealer and how bad they were treated. The first thing most folks do is blame the dealer in support of the first time complainer.

Bob Denman
04-17-2012, 07:49 AM
PM sent...

docdoru
04-17-2012, 07:53 AM
Maybe somebody from Jim Potts Woodstock, IL can bring some light? :dontknow:

Lamonster
04-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Maybe somebody from Jim Potts Woodstock, IL can bring some light? :dontknow:

It's never a good idea for a dealer to debate in an open forum like this. The guys that use this dealer have pretty much said all that needs to be said.

Trickie Dick
04-17-2012, 08:18 AM
What good will that do? Like I said mine was delivered the same way and I'm sure his was too. The problem seems to be in how he handled the situation. As you can read from other folks this sounds like a good dealer and there has to be a lot more to this story. I'm always suspect when someone comes on SL and there very first post is to slam a dealer and how bad they were treated. The first thing most folks do is blame the dealer in support of the first time complainer.

:agree:
I remember at the Chicago owners meeting a few years ago, one of the owners had a problem. Jim Potts came in on a Sunday to take care of the issue so owner could make it home. He was not a Jim Potts customer. Sounds to me like this dealer is one of the good ones.

billythekidd
04-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Here we sit at keyboards speculating and assuming that what is percived by the first poster is his problem. There are always two sides and to sit here and say the dealer is good because some folks have had a good experience doesen't mean everyone will have a good experience. I have been doing business with a dealer here for years, 3 wings and now 2 spyders and have always thought they were the best. When I recently had trouble with my first spyder, my opinion changed. The dealer is the only one for at least a 100 miles, and I am not sure any other dealer would be better. To that, I can tell you that there are a ton of folks who would step up and rant about how great the dealer is, ( and I was one of them). Things at least in ones mind change. From my perspective, if I get great service 10 times and horrible service 1 time, the thing I remember is the 1 time.

The poster had a bad experience. Who's fault it is to me is not relevent. He spent his had earned money for a product and did not receive what he paid for in his mind. I understand his perception of service as I was a premis tech for the third largest telco in the U.S. and even though I thought I was doing right by the customer there was always a difference in perception between what I thought and the customer thought.

This is the main problem I have with these forums ( not just this one). While this is not the place to damn the dealer as stated in a previous post, it should also not be the place for praise; for praise from one customer could be damned from another customer.

Ramling is now over.

Willy

Sny
04-17-2012, 08:41 AM
I know Jim's read this and won't respond as it's not appropriate to debate these things in public.

That said, I've received nothing but the best service from Potts and his crew. If they can put up with my silly demands then they can put up with just about anyone.

I'm sure that if there were missing screws or washers that it would have been no big deal for any one at the shop to have taken care if it no questions asked.

I'm sure there's a ton of details left out of this rant... and I'm sure we'll never know about what kind of damage his kids did while at the dealership, or how this customer "handled himself" at the shop.

nuff said.

Bob Denman
04-17-2012, 08:47 AM
Fair enough! :thumbup: The owner seems to be a pretty decent guy who has gone out of his way to be helpful to others... :firstplace:
Keeping in mind that you can NEVER keep everybody happy :gaah:; Is it fair to pass judgement on a dealership based upon one person's issues??

recordingguy
04-17-2012, 08:49 AM
:bowdown: I have to put my 2 cents into this. Like Mr Orange and other Spyder riders that deal with Jim Potts dealership I have never had any problems what so ever with these people. Jim has gone out of his way many times to make me a happy rider. He always gives up his ride if Requested when service is needed on my RTS. If its raining he hands me a car. He saved me a lot of money when I purchased my 2011 RTS from him. Just resently he sent a new comfort seat to Utopia to have the seat modifed to except my Utopia backrest with out having me buy the seat a head of time. His machanic is the best around and the rest of his staff superb. I drive a consederable distance to go to Jim Potts for a reason. No complants about him and this is the very first I ever heard of that was unhappy! Go figure? Bob

SteveMac
04-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Here we sit at keyboards speculating and assuming that what is percived by the first poster is his problem. There are always two sides and to sit here and say the dealer is good because some folks have had a good experience doesen't mean everyone will have a good experience. I have been doing business with a dealer here for years, 3 wings and now 2 spyders and have always thought they were the best. When I recently had trouble with my first spyder, my opinion changed. The dealer is the only one for at least a 100 miles, and I am not sure any other dealer would be better. To that, I can tell you that there are a ton of folks who would step up and rant about how great the dealer is, ( and I was one of them). Things at least in ones mind change. From my perspective, if I get great service 10 times and horrible service 1 time, the thing I remember is the 1 time.

The poster had a bad experience. Who's fault it is to me is not relevent. He spent his had earned money for a product and did not receive what he paid for in his mind. I understand his perception of service as I was a premis tech for the third largest telco in the U.S. and even though I thought I was doing right by the customer there was always a difference in perception between what I thought and the customer thought.

This is the main problem I have with these forums ( not just this one). While this is not the place to damn the dealer as stated in a previous post, it should also not be the place for praise; for praise from one customer could be damned from another customer.

Ramling is now over.

Willy

Wow. I rarely reply with such a disagreement to a post, and I hope that I read this wrong. But if you are saying that you go to a dealer 10 times and receive great service and they mess up one time, that you give up on them is shocking to me. You will soon run out of dealers!

Perhaps you mean they fail to correct the one mistake?? :dontknow:

Everyone, you, me, and dealers included WILL make a mistake once in a while. What is key to me is how they handle it after they mess up. Perfection simply doesn't exist, but if a dealer of any of my vehicles makes a mistake, but readily admits it and handles it appropriately, then they actually earn MORE respect from me. As long as it isn't a frequent occurence, that is...
nojoke

bullant12
04-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Wow. I rarely reply with such a disagreement to a post, and I hope that I read this wrong. But if you are saying that you go to a dealer 10 times and receive great service and they mess up one time, that you give up on them is shocking to me. You will soon run out of dealers!

Perhaps you mean they fail to correct the one mistake?? :dontknow:

Everyone, you, me, and dealers included WILL make a mistake once in a while. What is key to me is how they handle it after they mess up. Perfection simply doesn't exist, but if a dealer of any of my vehicles makes a mistake, but readily admits it and handles it appropriately, then they actually earn MORE respect from me. As long as it isn't a frequent occurence, that is...
nojoke

:agree: Something is not right in this whole thread. We usually get a new user that the first thing he does is rant about his machine, or the dealer, or the manufacturer. Everyone is entitiled to their opinion, but when you start in a bad note like this poster did, there is not much help coming. ESPECIALLY when other users are talking on how good this dealer/owner is. Like everyone else said, there are different sides to the story, and although this one is looking weird, I have to say that we need to close this thread and move on (as suggested by Sny's edit note on his post).

Bob Denman
04-17-2012, 11:17 AM
nojoke
:agree:...Going through it right now, and I honestly feel as if my guy is trying to do everything that he can to make things right with me...
And I'll be going back to him too! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
04-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Pretty much everything has been said. I am also suspicious of people who come on for the first post or similar and have a large rant about :spyder2: issues or about the dealer. I have always been a proponent of "give the dealer a chance to fix the problem" before cutting them a "new one" on this site or somewhere else.

I too, would like to hear the other side. The fact that others have come on to defend the dealer also indicate to me that there is more going on here than is being told.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: