PDA

View Full Version : Journey toward Spyderfest 2012

murphybrown
04-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Started my journey on Sat..when I travel I give out (mentally!!!) HERE'S YOUR SIGN (for those moments when I or others make a not so wise decision). Been ryding 2 days and only been able to hand one to myself....Drift camera 2..me 0...I had it down...had learned how to use Drift on my half helmet...guess what that elastic strap would not stay on my full helmet..left house..3 blocks later it snaps me in the face...response was Screw this and tucked camera in my suit...get to CDA, Idaho and my son-in-law got it velcro ready...ahhh a better video day coming up!!!! NOT got to Missoula for my latte stop..excited to see what camera had seen...nothing...dead battery..forgot to charge battery (at this point handed myself the SIGN). The ryde was great...rained mostly from Missoula to Livingston but no issues..I stay dry and Ms Spyder handles well. Got to motel..was putting on cover..it started pouring a mix of rain/snow..it was 26' so figured it was in for a good one...looked out this morning...the parking lot bare and dry...yea...see blue sky peeking through...MyRadar weather app..says its a good weather day so I will ryde Yellowstone park...down to Jackson for Teton area today...
Gas prices? Home/Chelan, WA $4.499 in MT $3.879
Mileage: got 38 mpg on one tank...average for 2 days...34.3 and that was hiway speed...windshield up most time yesterday...
Everyone have a great day...see you at Spyderfest

chickridin
04-16-2012, 09:09 AM
..forgot to charge battery

:roflblack: Sounds like something I'd do!

Ride safe!

flamingobabe
04-16-2012, 09:37 AM
have fun...be safe...one of the coldest rides ever...was from Yellowstone Old Faithful hotel to Jackson Hole in June burrrrr cold.....hope you have warmer weather.....knock off a few more states.....looking forward to meeting you at Spyderfest

SpyderAnn01
04-16-2012, 09:45 AM
My husband bought me a GoPro for a gift almost 2 years ago. I think I have taken 2 videos with it and that was pure luck! I vow that if you get yours to work for you I'll charge mine up and give it another try.

Hope you have a good trip through Yellowstone. Watch out for the bison.

Yol Bolsun
04-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Chalk it all down to "SMALL STUFF". Ryde safe and enjoy the adventure. Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else in Cuba.

"Don't sweat the small stuff and remember,
in the grand scheme of things, it's ALL small stuff."

Lamonster
04-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the great ride report. I think we all have done the same thing with the cameras. Hope you stay warm and dry the rest of the trip. :doorag:

pitbull
04-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Ryde safe murphy, thanks for checking in! Looking forward to seeing more posts on your adventures.

CyncySpyder
04-16-2012, 03:30 PM
:yes: Glad you are on your way & hope things only improve for you as you continue :yes: Sadly, even tho I'd love to make it, Teddy & I will have to miss this years Fest:banghead: But will be following along with your posts & checking out the pics & vids :clap: We'll be with y'all in spirit ;)

Littlebadwolf
04-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Cncy...I'm sorry to see that you & Ted won't be able to make it...same way i felt last year when I had to do the bypass surgery...i was highly disappointed and this year I had to defer to my wife's work schedule at the hospital so we miss another year but we're gonna do the Adirondacks. We were fortunate to meet Len when we went out in November to pick up Linda's Spyder that my wife bought and we were looking forward to the rally this year...Next year......next year....:yes:

tajohn
04-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Have a safe trip we look forward to seeing you again. You have the metal to endure and we enjoy every word.

murphybrown
04-17-2012, 06:56 AM
good morning...yep there is a video attached...quick find your delete button....cause I do not know how to edit and trust me you don't want to watch much of this....but hey soooo many of you said you reallllly wanted to "see" my travels....well I had a choice between this (going into Yellowstone from Gardiner entrance) one or 10 minutes of some guys backside at coffee shop (and it wasn't even a Wrangler butt--I am partial to those!!!) or 1 hr 20 minutes of ryding in the rain!!!! Ok just to stop any groans...I am planning on going to the Apple store in Omaha, NE in a few days and they promise that they can even teach me (as a laughing said oh yea I've heard that before!!!). how to edit...
Yesterday was a wonderful day of ryding..mostly blue skies...but had to go to plan B..discovered that even tho the roads are clear in the park they don't open the roads until Memorial weekend...so no Old Faithful, Jackson Hole/Tetons or Cody (awesome history there). Was recommended I check out museums in Cody..but discovered after Google search that they don't open until May....so this area stays on my bucket list...just means another Spyder Ryde is on the list...oh darn!!!!!!
So rode from Livingston 5 miles into Yellowstone until roadblocked and had to turn around. Saw 1 bison bull...several elk cows but all that I label town critters as they were basically in Gardiner..then had a gorgeous golden pheasant rooster scurry across road in front of me...sun hitting his feathers....another of those Good Job God sites...
Finally found motel in Lovell that fits my criteria: Clean, non smoking and not over $50 a nite (including tax!!!)...these folks are actually from Kalama, WA (many moon ago) and knew one of my former friends, John Clayton....they had lived just a short way from where John lived at the fish hatchery....we truly live in a small world...so spent an hour or so visiting with them and petting their gorgeous rescue cat that owns the office...
BUT I have got to change my ways...get in room after covering Ms Spyder for the nite...sit down to just relax and boom next thing I know it is 2:30 am (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/x-apple-data-detectors://1) (MT time so1:30 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/x-apple-data-detectors://2) back home) and I am bright eyed and bushy tailed...raring to go...so because of that you are the lucky recipients of all that early burst of energy (max 10 minutes!!!!).
Today I will be working my way toward Nebraska....found some non blue roads that look promising....Folks have a great day..even tho it is tax day....
Grrrr forget the video could never get it to here....

SpyderAnn01
04-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Too bad that you hit the roadblocks in Yellowstone you will definitely have to get back there one day. Have a nice ride today and I hope you find interesting roads in NE - the interstate there is rather dull.

murphybrown
04-18-2012, 06:02 AM
Started off by watching the shuttle Discovery get her "free" ride to the Smithsonian awesome just awesome. Stirred a lot of feelings within me. Many decades watching the USA be the leader in space exploration .. and now???
hi light on my ryde yesterday was through the Wind River Reservation absolutely gorgeous... When I got to the Nebraska border decided time to look for a place to put my head for the night..first see sign that says Harrison Next 4 Exits...curious as didn't look that big so decided to check out. Lol. The town is four blocks wide and four blocks long therefore four exits. Saw a local hardware store and in small rural country always very interesting those local hardware stores. This one did not disappoint. Asked if there were any local motels was told no but we have a great hotel. and great Experience it is. Built in the 1800's Meredith and husband are in their 70s and her great great grandparents built this hotel. She is also a local historian. Incredible hosts and hostesses I was told they weren't open but they had a clean bed if I wanted a place to sleep. The hotel is old funky clean and an awesome place. There are nine rooms and three shared baths. Fixes a full breakfast in the morning asking you what you want and much to my delight
Discovered when I crawled into bed she even irons the sheets!!! Than as got ready to cover Ms Spyder he said no we have a garage outback you can pull in there.. totally goes with the old hotel tiny one car. no door dirt floor just awesome. When I laid out the plastic to pay huge sum of $30 for the night Meredith said oh our credit card machine is not done yet you can send us a check when you get home... asked her if they would accept cash...so hi marks and my recommendation if you're near Harrison Nebraska's stay at the Harrison Hotel. After I visit the Harrison Museum it's not open till memorial day but Meredith has the key then I head for broken Bow Nebraska.
Everyone have a great day

SteveMac
04-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Very cool stuff Karyl. Very cool! ;)

sealfloorboards
04-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Ah Karyl,

You do know how to have a good time. Aloha John and I miss you but you do have your own journey. We headed So. to Williams, Ca from Newberg, Or., 500 miles. That's plenty for two old f..ts. Day two to Stockton in warm sun. Yesterday it was Barstow (even warmer). Got in fairly early so just kicked back. Today it's Flagstaff for a one day layover while we wait to meet up with Jim. Will Instal a set of Seals for him and then our band of bandits will head E. on Hwy 40. You would certainly be the sugar in this salty ol' gang. Ride safely my dear. See ya soon.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

Lamonster
04-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Started off by watching the shuttle Discovery get her "free" ride to the Smithsonian awesome just awesome. Stirred a lot of feelings within me. Many decades watching the USA be the leader in space exploration .. and now???
hi light on my ryde yesterday was through the Wind River Reservation absolutely gorgeous... When I got to the Nebraska border decided time to look for a place to put my head for the night..first see sign that says Harrison Next 4 Exits...curious as didn't look that big so decided to check out. Lol. The town is four blocks wide and four blocks long therefore four exits. Saw a local hardware store and in small rural country always very interesting those local hardware stores. This one did not disappoint. Asked if there were any local motels was told no but we have a great hotel. and great Experience it is. Built in the 1800's Meredith and husband are in their 70s and her great great grandparents built this hotel. She is also a local historian. Incredible hosts and hostesses I was told they weren't open but they had a clean bed if I wanted a place to sleep. The hotel is old funky clean and an awesome place. There are nine rooms and three shared baths. Fixes a full breakfast in the morning asking you what you want and much to my delight
Discovered when I crawled into bed she even irons the sheets!!! Than as got ready to cover Ms Spyder he said no we have a garage outback you can pull in there.. totally goes with the old hotel tiny one car. no door dirt floor just awesome. When I laid out the plastic to pay huge sum of $30 for the night Meredith said oh our credit card machine is not done yet you can send us a check when you get home... asked her if they would accept cash...so hi marks and my recommendation if you're near Harrison Nebraska's stay at the Harrison Hotel. After I visit the Harrison Museum it's not open till memorial day but Meredith has the key then I head for broken Bow Nebraska.
Everyone have a great day
What a great find and a great story to go with. You're a very special lady. :doorag:

Trickie Dick
04-18-2012, 09:21 AM
What a great find and a great story to go with. You're a very special lady. :doorag:

:agree::thumbup:

Motorcycle Mama & Papa
04-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Your my kinda girl murphybrown. I wish to be like you, and I hope our paths cross one day. My sign for you today is "you're awesome!" motorcyclemama :2thumbs:

Lamonster
04-18-2012, 12:01 PM
:agree::bowdown::firstplace:nojoke

mtbear
04-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Hey Murphy,
My wife and I lived in Spokane for 24 yrs before retiring and moving to Colorado.
we have been to Yellowstone about a dozen times and never tored of it, so you really need to get back there.
keep up the ride reports, I am really enjoying them and have been through most of the areas you are going through.
mtbear:thumbup:

pitbull
04-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Carol you have earned your place in the Spyderlovers haul of fame, as well as in so many of our hearts. Ryde safe, have fun, and please please keep posting!

murphybrown
04-19-2012, 01:02 AM
On the way to Broken Bow to stay at a wonderful motel I found last year. The motel is nice but people/owners are great...miles and miles of gorgeous flat land (ladies FYI..bushes large enough to pop a squat are mighty scarce...therefore drink less or buy depends!!!!)where the deer and the antelope play... well forget looking for them they are not playing they must of been at work...noticed long long trains. So say to self "how many engineers can you get to blow their horn for you? Whoop Whoop 4 out of 5...
Holy cow it warmed up...started shedding layers off of me and adding many layers of bug guts on Ms Spyder.
Thurs is a short cross country jaunt to Crete NE where I have a date to take my grandson to dinner. Then Fri on to take another grandson who works in Omaha to dinner and a date with Apple store tech to turn me into a genius class videographer...lollol.. If I was betting oh well miracles do still happen...see a long day ryding fr Omaha to Cuba. No blue roads for me and my excitement level will keep me Brite eyed and bushy tailed...will fly my flags on the last leg everyone have a great couple days see you at Spyderfest...

dancogan
04-19-2012, 06:14 AM
It's great to hear such nice reports about the people in Nebraska. It really is a neat place and I was lucky to find and marry a Nebraska girl almost 40 years ago. She's from a small town not far from Crete, where you took your grandson to dinner, called Friend (appropriately enough).

Good luck in Omaha and hope the Apple store gets you sorted out with your editing needs. If not, I'm sure you'll find folks at Spyderfest that can help.

FaranH
04-19-2012, 06:16 AM
Thanks so much for sharing your trip! Each part of your story has put a smile on my face. :DI can't wait to meet you in person, murphybrown!

GloryRyders
04-19-2012, 06:27 AM
Great reports Murphy :2thumbs: See you next week at the PARTY! :yes::yes:

warp10
04-19-2012, 06:58 AM
Love reading about your adventures, hope to find you in cuba among all the spyder riders. Good luck with the video stuff. :banghead:

flamingobabe
04-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated on your travels....enjoy reading your reports....grandsons are the greatest...good that you take the time to stop by and visit each of them.....mine is in Bosie, ID going to school.....I will see him 2 different times this summer...safe travels and excited to meet you @ Spyderfest

webweaver
04-19-2012, 09:59 AM
I want to be you! It sounds like the best time ever. Thanks for all the posts, hope to meet you in Cuba. Penny

flamingobabe
04-20-2012, 06:56 PM
where's Murphybrown?????

SpyderAnn01
04-20-2012, 06:57 PM
where's Murphybrown?????

I think she is visiting with her grandsons.

flamingobabe
04-20-2012, 07:47 PM
I think she is visiting with her grandsons.

you are correct...I forgot.....thanks

murphybrown
04-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Had a wonderful full day with my two adult grandson they treated this granny awesome but sure wore out she's going to bed write more in the morning!!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

CyncySpyder
04-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Reading of your Wonderful Adventures of finding those hidden gems of Americana (send us a check when u get home-:yikes:Unheard of nowadays:lecturef_smilie:) but you found maybe the last one in America, along with ironed sheets & home-cooked breakfast:congrats: to you my friend. Along with the pure Joy of ryding itself, meeting these characters is part of what makes the journey so interesting, makes life worth living. Rarely is it the destination that is important, albeit, little can compare to the journey:clap: itself. Glad you had a good time visiting with the grandkids:p I wonder if they truly know how Special a lady their Grams really is :rolleyes:;) Look forward to reading more about your adventures to Cuba, and stay safe my friend. Amost forgot, Teddy sends you lots o' licks :p:p44178

murphybrown
04-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Okay had an awesome day yesterday with my grandsons in Omaha Nebraska area up this morning headed towards you
At St Joseph getting ready to turn east I am so excited to get to Cuba I'm not going to spend much time telling you what I'm doing nice things to see sunshine is out and Lamont stop asking for rain.. have to tell you this ride in sunshine is a whole lot better than what the weather conditions were last year on my way to Spyderfest . Got to saddle up Cuba's calling!!!!

murphybrown
04-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Great ryde from Omaha...the ryde from Jefferson city all the way to Cuba was phenomenal the scenery that was awesome... Blue skies gently rolling hills green pastures green trees cattle just couldn't get any better. complete opposite from last yr..then it was raining ALOT!!.. Honked when I went by Cowtown...checked into Super 8..cool they gave me same room as last year...this is going to be an incredible Spyderfest!!!! Hurry up I'm so ready!!!!
Everyone drive safe

ThreeFeet
04-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Great ryde from Omaha...the ryde from Jefferson city all the way to Cuba was phenomenal the scenery that was awesome... Blue skies gently rolling hills green pastures green trees cattle just couldn't get any better. complete opposite from last yr..then it was raining ALOT!!.. Honked when I went by Cowtown...checked into Super 8..cool they gave me same room as last year...this is going to be an incredible Spyderfest!!!! Hurry up I'm so ready!!!!
Everyone drive safe Hey we were at the Super 8 putting out one of our banners. Didn't see your bike. Sorry we missed you. Sure am glad you made it OK. Enjoy puttering around Cuba and the roads. Get a MO map and pick a road. They are almost all really fun ones. Registration is Tues. to get your goody bag etc. If I didn't have just a boat load of laundry to do, pack my bags, pack the trailer kind of things I'd get ya and show you a couple roads in the area. BUT one you can take and is a fun shorty twisty is going out of town on old 66 towards Fanning Turn Left onto KK it's the twisty. It comes out at Rosattis Museum and the south outer rd. Make a Right turn onto the south outer road and you will go back to Cuba and Past Fanning and the Big Rocking chair, Might take you about 1 to 1-1/2hrs and a fun road. Of course this is AFTER you chill out and relax!!! Have a goody.

MickeyFisher
04-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Great trip report! I'm putting that hotel on the list for one of these days, haha. Glad you made it safe, see you soon!

pitbull
04-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Welcome to the party:thumbup: looking forward to seeing you tomorrow:clap:

Mo Lee
04-22-2012, 04:57 AM
Great to hear you are in town, see you soon!

GloryRyders
04-22-2012, 06:05 AM
Great to hear that you made it to Cuba.................see you soon!:yes: