PDA

View Full Version : High/Low beam lights

JRWW
04-15-2012, 03:55 AM
Just wondering if low beam lights should be on when high beam is selected? Currently my new RTS SE5 has low beam running all the time except when switching to high beam then the low beam lights are off, seems to me if both were to work I would have better lighting.

Also my fuel guage is almost useless, shows empty with the warning light on when I've only used 17.5 lts, bit disconcerting. Anyone had similar issues?

Regards

John

From down under

Grandpa Spyder
04-15-2012, 05:01 AM
as for the fuel issue that is the norm up here to. Light on gauge on e still have nearly 2 gal. left:banghead:

Pennyrick
04-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Just wondering if low beam lights should be on when high beam is selected? Currently my new RTS SE5 has low beam running all the time except when switching to high beam then the low beam lights are off, seems to me if both were to work I would have better lighting.

Also my fuel guage is almost useless, shows empty with the warning light on when I've only used 17.5 lts, bit disconcerting. Anyone had similar issues?

Regards

John

From down under

John: This question has come up before. There are no separate high and low beam lights on the Spyder. There is a shield that is activated when you push the low button that blocks off top half of the headlight. So there would be no way to do as you suggest. Everyone complains about the fuel gauge. Best solution I have heard is to disconnect the analog gauge and then use the digital gauge that will appear on your panel.

Lamonster
04-15-2012, 09:05 AM
John: This question has come up before. There are no separate high and low beam lights on the Spyder. There is a shield that is activated when you push the low button that blocks off top half of the headlight. So there would be no way to do as you suggest. Everyone complains about the fuel gauge. Best solution I have heard is to disconnect the analog gauge and then use the digital gauge that will appear on your panel.

He's in Australia so there are two lights. I believe what we would call foglights are their driving lights and out driving lights are their highbeams.

NancysToy
04-15-2012, 09:05 AM
:lecturef_smilie: John is not talking about a North American Spyder. His Australian Spyder and the European models, do have separate lights, due to differing regulations. Their low beams are installed in the place that our optional foglights occupy.

My guess on the Euro lights is that it is an issue of electrical loads. As designed, the circuit would not handle low and high beams lit at the same time. The regulations might permit it, I don't know, but the Spyder electrical system won't.

At a low fuel warning the Spyder should have approximately 1.4 gallons (5.3 liters) of the original 6.0 gallons of fuel left. The idea is to have about 40-50 miles (80 km) of available range left. This is a pretty standard fuel warning trigger point for US vehicles.

billybovine
04-15-2012, 09:46 AM
The north american low beam pattern is designed that all vehicles using it drive on the right side of the road. The upper left of the beam is a low light area to reduce light (glare) in the incoming drivers eyes and the upper right is bright for reading signs. The japanese low beam pattern is a mirror image of the north american pattern because they drive on the left side of the road. The european pattern is designed for vehicles to be driven on either side of the road, so the beam is low light all the way across the top above the horisonal cut-off line. This is similar to the north american fog light pattern. I assume that Australia uses the european standard.

Pennyrick
04-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Okay everyone!

I stand corrected. John, listen to the experts... ignore me.

JRWW
04-16-2012, 06:51 AM
Thankyou to everyone taking the time to respond. Will use my trip computer re fuel.

Regards
John