PDA

View Full Version : Who rides in the rain? If so how does the spyder handle?

seansr917
04-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Wet weather riding?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ds4vyb
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

arntufun
04-14-2012, 09:21 AM
I do not normally ride in the rain, but last year Holly and I got caught in the rain at SITA with Dave and Teddy. I was really impressed with how well the Spyder rides in the rain. The thing never skips a beat and never once felt like it was going to lose control. It handles the rain better than my pickup truck. :thumbup: Perfect in the rain, but I can't say that for our bodies !!!! :roflblack:

Blue Star
04-14-2012, 09:34 AM
I do not normally ride in the rain, but last year Holly and I got caught in the rain at SITA with Dave and Teddy. I was really impressed with how well the Spyder rides in the rain. The thing never skips a beat and never once felt like it was going to lose control. Rock solid !!!! It handles the rain better than my pickup truck. :thumbup:

:agree: I have ridden my bike many times in the rain, and like how the spyder handles. My suggestions are not to ride too close to the side of the rear wheel of cars, or especially semi trucks. The rooster tails are a real pain when the water hits you. It is important to have good rain gear, a full face helmet, and most important rain-proof gloves. Regular leather gloves will stain your hands black from the dye they use the first time they get wet, and your hands get cold too.

joet82
04-14-2012, 09:51 AM
:agree: with the above statements. I have even hydroplaned on the Spyder this memorial day weekend and if I was on a 2 wheeler, I definitly wouldn't be here. I just kept the front wheels facing straight down the road and as soon as the rear wheel caught, it straightened itself out nicely. Other than that, I've had no issues in the rain.

TuckMiddle
04-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Who doesn't?
Spyder is great. Slow down a little so you can watch for idiots and take your time. Find a good rain suit and get out of the garage. Avoid standing water or at least try to slow down even further. Don't be afraid to put your rain suit on if you suspect rain. Don't even ask how I know that. If you get wx on your radio or IPad or whatever, use it. If you have a pax, chances are she/he wants to stop long before you do. :yikes:

Tuck

murphybrown
04-14-2012, 10:01 AM
:agree: have no issue ryding in the rain. GREAT rain gear a must have...finally got smart and would have rain gear on when I left (took 4 days to finally say DUH...much easier to take off then put on in a downpour!!!). Spyder handles awesome in rain...definitely slow down...watch them 18 wheelers for "blow over" of water...not an issue for staability...just a mess for you...and of course if you see a puddle...definitely get cautious neever know how deep that one might be....so I say..ryde safe..ryde in the rain and the wind...last year coming to Spyderfest I hit the spring wind/rain storms and only got under cover once (hail!!!)...but it came and went and so did I!!! Headed out today for Spyderfest....have my rain gear and my radaar weather tracking on iphone...I'm READY bring it on!!! Above all drive safe no matter what the weather...:thumbup:

joet82
04-14-2012, 10:07 AM
:agree: have no issue ryding in the rain. GREAT rain gear a must have...finally got smart and would have rain gear on when I left (took 4 days to finally say DUH...much easier to take off then put on in a downpour!!!). Spyder handles awesome in rain...definitely slow down...watch them 18 wheelers for "blow over" of water...not an issue for staability...just a mess for you...and of course if you see a puddle...definitely get cautious neever know how deep that one might be....so I say..ryde safe..ryde in the rain and the wind...last year coming to Spyderfest I hit the spring wind/rain storms and only got under cover once (hail!!!)...but it came and went and so did I!!! Headed out today for Spyderfest....have my rain gear and my radaar weather tracking on iphone...I'm READY bring it on!!! Above all drive safe no matter what the weather...:thumbup:

Ryde safe, keep the pace slow for the first couple days, you don't want to catch up to the rain that just passed by. Haha. And why r you getting such a head start? Most of us in Cali will be heading out on the 21st.

StriperKing
04-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Spyder handles everybit as well in the rail, even better probably than my Mazda 3. No problems just don`t ride in the tire grooves of the cars.

jvicker
04-14-2012, 10:43 AM
With the right rain gear, you don't even know its raining.

CyncySpyder
:yes:I will always love that pic of Holly & Teddy, GOOD TIMES :thumbup::roflblack: We've hydroplaned a few times, but as soon as you ease off the throttle a little, your right back in control:thumbup: As other posters stated, be EXTRA CAUTIOUS OF PUDDLES & STANDING WATER:shocked: Last year, while ryding home from work in a heavy downpour, I hit a water filled pot-hole that I couldn't tell how deep it was & thankfully was only doing about 30mph:pray: but even at that, my left tire went down so far, that the Lower Rain Deflector was totally sheared off of Teds Red Sled. After I put on the flashers & got to the side of the road, I could see a large hunk of plastic laying in the road where we hit the pot-hole:dontknow: I didn't know what it was til I looked down & saw that the entire deflector was missing.:gaah:I reversed back to it & threw it in the Frunk & inspected for further damage, but all else was ok. Had to order a new deflector & surprisingly it was under $40 & a snap to install:bowdown: And yeah, the Spyder handes rain just fine, but 18 wheelers are a :cus: for you:banghead: No way around that one :mad: Ryde & Enjoy :yes:

RAYYOU
Neither of us have no issues riding in the rain. Get good rain gear & rainx if you have a full face helmet.

NancysToy
04-14-2012, 10:44 AM
The Spyder is very stable in the rain. Good stability, but a tendency to hydroplane due to the wide, flat tires, and to break traction at the rear wheel, due to the wide tire and the ample power. The VSS will try to compensate, but it can be frustrating. Slow down, accelerate and brake smoothly and gradually, and you will do fine. Visibility is an issue, both for you to see others with the mist and rain on your shield and visor, and for others to see you. Loud clothing is of benefit, like a bright yellow rainsuit. I have ridden in the rain for years on a motorcycle, but last year I rode my Spyder RTS through a frog-drowning rain for over 500 miles to Spyderfest. Visibility was never over 1/4 mile for the first 200 miles. I would have parked my BMW before the first gas stop, but the Spyder rode through it keeping me stable and safe all the way. There were times I had to slow down to acommodate the water, especially deep stuff, but it was a journey I could never have completed on a motorcycle.

joet82
04-14-2012, 10:49 AM
With the right rain gear, you don't even know its raining.

So the right rain gear will stop the rain from hitting your faceshield too??? Wow! What's it called? :joke:Haha

NancysToy
04-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Neither of us have no issues riding in the rain. Get good rain gear & rainx if you have a full face helmet.

Be aware that Rain-X will eventually craze plastic windshields and visors. If you use it, they will have to be replaced from time to time.

jvicker
04-14-2012, 11:02 AM
So the right rain gear will stop the rain from hitting your faceshield too??? Wow! What's it called? :joke:Haha

What's a faceshield? Jk

Yazz
04-14-2012, 11:08 AM
During downpours, one way to become more visible is to turn you hazards on.

BajaRon
04-14-2012, 01:40 PM
I've ridden in some very heavy rain for long distances on my Spyder (and on 2 wheels as well). The Spyder is fine but you do have to be aware of a tendency for the rear wheel to hydroplane. Keeping that in mind you shouldn't have any issues.

With the RT or a rider on the back it will not be as likely to hydroplane.

seansr917
04-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Wow that's great to hear people are riding in the rain. Well just ordered the can,am rain gear
Cincy rain here I come!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pnakn5
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cavman
04-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Driving with the hazard lights on in GA is illegal. It's amazing how many people don't know that here and that you must turn your headlights on too.

Radthorne
04-14-2012, 05:27 PM
I ryde in Seattle. 'Nuff said! (And it handles just fine).

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Just a couple of things I learned in accident investigation school....The first 15 minutes or so after it starts to rain is usually the most dangerous because that's when all the oily crap on the road surface comes to the top and floats before it's washed to the side....and be especially careful at toll booths ( for mtc's it's much worse) cars, trucks, etc. leak lots of oily greasy fluids right there in the middle while waiting to pay the toll ....it can be like sliding on ball bearings.......and contrary to popular belief it's not necessarily the water that causes the hydroplaning ....a lot of the time it's the surface contaminants that are floating that are the main culprit.....do all you're surfing in the ocean......Mike.....:thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Just a couple of things I learned in accident investigation school....The first 15 minutes or so after it starts to rain is usually the most dangerous because that's when all the oily crap on the road surface comes to the top and floats before it's washed to the side....
:agree: Spyders really aren't a whole lot different than any other motorcycle on good tires... wet conditions are no excuse to stop riding! :thumbup:

Just use a little bit of the common sense that your Momma had to beat into you as a kid and you'll be fine. :roflblack:

SpyderAnn01
04-14-2012, 09:42 PM
I just put on a new rear tire so I'm ready for the rain that I'm sure I will be riding in to and/or from Spyderfest. Bring it on!

WaltH
04-14-2012, 10:13 PM
:agree: I have ridden my bike many times in the rain, and like how the spyder handles. My suggestions are not to ride too close to the side of the rear wheel of cars, or especially semi trucks. The rooster tails are a real pain when the water hits you. It is important to have good rain gear, a full face helmet, and most important rain-proof gloves. Regular leather gloves will stain your hands black from the dye they use the first time they get wet, and your hands get cold too.

I have been at this for a very long time and I have never found rain-proof gloves that I was happy about. I am still looking.

MikeinGA
04-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Be aware that Rain-X will eventually craze plastic windshields and visors. If you use it, they will have to be replaced from time to time.

I use Rain-X on my visors for over 30 years. What I do is I use plastic polish first, let it sit fore a few hours (3 to 5), then use a small rage and put a few drops of Rain-X, wipe it on the visor.

Mike

SporterSpider
04-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Rode from Moonshine Illinois to home Erlanger, Ky. today, it rained all the way. The Spyder handled great in the rain.

bikeguy
04-14-2012, 11:26 PM
We rode in a light rain yesterday and today but have ridden in heavier rains on a number of occasions. The RT handles very well in the rain. I'd much rather be on the Spyder in the rain than any 2 wheeler I've ever ridden. The RT fairing keeps us drier than any fairing I've ever ridden behind. When our small group stopped to put on rain gear yesterday, only my wife and I and our son and his girlfriend on his BMW R1150RT had dry legs. Everyone else was wet from mid calf down. The Spyder RT kinda spoils you in many ways.

I agree with others about the wide rear tire hydroplaning. I had mine less than a week when I first experienced it hydroplaning and the traction control stopping it from spinning. Before I realized what was happening I thought the engine was trying to quit and was pretty mad because I had a brand new bike and it looked like I was gonna have to walk home in the rain. Spyders are really nice in the rain.

Cotton

KipDM
04-15-2012, 01:21 AM
i just go slower.
i have been caught without rain gear and just kept ryding.
sometimes i get home from work and intentionally ryde BECAUSE it is raining (slower pace, more solitary).

once i even told someone how much i loved how it handled in the rain (because i would probably not ride a 2wheeler in the rain).

NancysToy
04-15-2012, 06:33 AM
I use Rain-X on my visors for over 30 years. What I do is I use plastic polish first, let it sit fore a few hours (3 to 5), then use a small rage and put a few drops of Rain-X, wipe it on the visor.

Mike
I'll try that and see if it gives me some longevity. I usually get about 1-2 years out of a visor before it clouds badly enough to be replaced, and a couple of years or more out of a windshield before it needs to be removed and machine polished. I don't use the Rain-X much anymore. When I used it frequently I got a shorter period than that above. Like Loctite, the Rain-X crazes the plastic surface, causing tiny (microscopic) cracks to develop, which eventually merge to become a cloud.

effgjamis
04-15-2012, 07:57 AM
RAIN ??? :yikes: Is that akin to Liquid sunshine? :roflblack::roflblack:

rock
04-15-2012, 10:00 AM
our 2010 rts se5 rides and handles like a sports car in the rain....common cense goes a long way so ride happy and ride safe and dont be afraid of the rain!!!

Pandy
04-15-2012, 12:17 PM
We just slow down a bit and keep right on. Spyder has never even offered to hydroplane and that's in conditions where all I could go by was the fog lines.
Common sense should see you through.

Patrick