PDA

View Full Version : Shock Saga

Chikez
04-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Bought Elka front shocks and had them installed at a local shop not a can am dealer. Took Spyder to dealer for service contract, found front shocks were installed upside down so dealer corrected installation and other shop returned the fee for the first installation. I asked dealer to be sure to adjust headlight aim as ELKA'S sit higher. The dealer forgot. I had to take it back. $60.00 later the headlights were 3 feet higher than the standard so they were adjusted. Now I find the rear adjusting air shock does not adjust so once again I return to the dealer with $120 an hour labor charge. UGH!:banghead: I love my :spyder2:, I just want it fixed correctly without anymore returns for service.

daveinva
04-13-2012, 09:28 PM
How crazy... I believe you're the *second* person in recent weeks to report that a dealer installed their Elka shocks upside down. How the heck does that happen?! :yikes:

SteveMac
04-13-2012, 10:56 PM
How crazy... I believe you're the *second* person in recent weeks to report that a dealer installed their Elka shocks upside down. How the heck does that happen?! :yikes:

As much as I love my Elkas, the instructions are poor (for the average DYI person). But still for a DEALER to do that is inexcusable! :banghead:

JCSMOKE
04-13-2012, 11:38 PM
When the shocks are on the bike you should not have to turn the bike over to read the "Elka" logo right side up.

NancysToy
04-14-2012, 07:09 AM
The Elka's configuration is the opposite of the OEM shocks, so they have to be installed with the spring on the bottom instead of the top. Easy for a tech that had never seen them before to make this mistake.

ThreeWheels
04-14-2012, 09:53 AM
I hate to sound stupid.
Well, actually I must enjoy it because I do it often enough but:
I'm curious, why do the shocks have a "this side up" orientation. The spring doesn't care which side is up and as long as there is enough clearance, what is the difference ?

NancysToy
04-14-2012, 10:34 AM
I hate to sound stupid.
Well, actually I must enjoy it because I do it often enough but:
I'm curious, why do the shocks have a "this side up" orientation. The spring doesn't care which side is up and as long as there is enough clearance, what is the difference ?
The spring doesn't care, but the hydraulics do. The Elkas were designed differently.