PDA

View Full Version : RT BRP Hitch

pwilbarger
04-11-2012, 08:28 PM
I walked by my RT in the garage today and for some reason I bent down a gave a tug on the trailer hitch. The back section moved up and down. It also squeaks when it moves. I measured the play and it's about 3/16"-1/4". I don't believe it should be doing this at least not that much. It was installed at the time of purchase by the dealer so I don't have any idea what torque should be on the bolts that attach the "U" shaped rear section. I'm sure someone here will have this info. Thanks in advance for your help.
Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveMac
04-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Mine does this as well. It is normal IMO. Just the nature of the way it attaches.

SPYD1
04-11-2012, 08:34 PM
I googled it and found the torque to be 40 ft/lbs. Mine on a RS doesn't do that.

SPYD1
04-11-2012, 08:42 PM
I found my instructions and it says to start at 37 ft/lbs and to tighten it to align the nut not to exceed 59 ft/lbs.

pwilbarger
04-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Mine does this as well. It is normal IMO. Just the nature of the way it attaches.

I would think that much movement would cause wear problems. Don't know? Maybe when attached the trailer it puts enough tension on it that it won't move when in use.

I googled it and found the torque to be 40 ft/lbs. Mine on a RS doesn't do that.

I'll check mine this week.

Thanks

spyderbirds
04-11-2012, 08:49 PM
the bolt through the axle is torqued as listed above the other bolts on both sides of assembly come from brp assembled all the dealer did was install bolt through axle and the wiring harness. mine has the same play described and did new out of the box. this is by design engineered to dampen the shock from trailer to swingarm.

pwilbarger
04-11-2012, 09:10 PM
the bolt through the axle is torqued as listed above the other bolts on both sides of assembly come from brp assembled all the dealer did was install bolt through axle and the wiring harness. mine has the same play described and did new out of the box. this is by design engineered to dampen the shock from trailer to swingarm.

Well if it comes pre-assembled then it should be okay to go. It's been on for 7500 miles but I never gave it a tug until today. Maybe I'll put a little Amsoil MP on bolts to stop the squeak. :>)

NancysToy
04-11-2012, 10:15 PM
The bolts attaching the brackets to the hitch "U" need to be tightened and torqued. My 2011 had the same problem, but has been fine since BRP had the tech retorque the bolts.

spyderbirds
04-11-2012, 10:28 PM
The bolts attaching the brackets to the hitch "U" need to be tightened and torqued. My 2011 had the same problem, but has been fine since BRP had the tech retorque the bolts.

very interesting scotty, did they happen to mention torque values? my hitch out of box had play as did two others on dealers spyders. not very confident my local dealer will persue this. they claim it is as designed.

NancysToy
04-12-2012, 07:18 AM
very interesting scotty, did they happen to mention torque values? my hitch out of box had play as did two others on dealers spyders. not very confident my local dealer will persue this. they claim it is as designed.
I don't remember the torque values. I'd use standard values for that size bolt, as given in the tables. My dealer learned of the fix from BRP, so a dealer can get technical assistance if needed. I do have concerns about this approach. It is designed to move there on the internal rubber bushings and slide on the urethane sleeves/spacers. Your dealer is right in that respect. Too tight and it will not move as designed. There is one big advantage to having your dealer do the work...they have the problem recorded on your file, and if it fails again later they may have some responsibility. It should also be noted that unless your hitch was installed during setup, attached at the time of delivery, and specifically listed on your warranty registration, it does not carry the full 2-year warranty that the Spyder has...just the short accessory warranty, so what have you got to lose by tightening it?