PDA

View Full Version : ***WARNING*** LaFollette Motorsports

joe schmoe
04-08-2012, 08:08 AM
We took Betty Boops RT-S in for her 3000 mile service getting it ready for our road trip to this thing called Spyderfest! :yes:

We now use Mountain Motorsports in Kodak, TN. Great service and friendly dealer...Plus they sell Victory Motorcycles!! :firstplace:

As it is to far to ryde to LaFollette and have service done...Plus they scratched Betty Boop while they did the 600 mile service. While we were there getting the 600 mile service done the tech came out and said he had stripped the head of the oil plug, but he would take one out of their stock units and fix us up. SO we spent an extra hour or 2 there due to them stripping the head out and having to supposedly replacing the bolt....Well we get Betty Boop up to Mountain motorsports yesterday for the 3K service and within 20 minutes of leaving their place we get a call saying that not one but BOTH bolts are stripped out and it will take 3 to 4 days to get new ones in. They said the only way to get these bolts out is to tap them...I told them our plans of a good road trip in 2 weeks and to go ahead and fix it...We really have no choice at this point!!!

The part that REALLY sucks here is that LaFollette Motor Sports said they replaced the one they stripped out and now we find out that they stripped BOTH of them out!!! Seeing it's been 6 months since they did the service I have no recourse to have them pay for their SCREW UP!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Just a heads up STAY AWAY from LaFollette Motor Sports in LaFollette TN....

Bob Denman
04-08-2012, 08:18 AM
:gaah: That's a dang shame that they weren't a bit more forthcoming with all of what happened... :gaah:
Good Luck with getting Betty Boop back up to 100% :thumbup: Please let us know how it all comes back toegther!

Lamonster
04-08-2012, 08:29 AM
First off it's not uncommon for those bolts to strip, many of us have gone to a hex head because of it.

Did you look at the plugs after the first oil change? Maybe they did change it out and just maybe the new dealer had the same problem.

The next, it doesn't take 3 to 4 days to get new ones, you can get them at a local auto parts store if you want and chances are they have a plug in stock that will work, it's a common size. There are better options.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23611-Oil-Drain-Plug-Issue-Solved!
Come to think about it I may have a couple of extra ones if you need them, just replace them when you get a chance.

As far as getting the stripped ones out you can take a punch or a chisel to the side edge and tap it a couple of times and it will come right out. Best to warm it up first. I've had to do this a couple of times.

mastertek2000
04-08-2012, 08:31 AM
With all the proper paper work i am sure you can go after them by the sound of things i would say you don,t service your own bike correct then there would be no way possible that you would have known that till you had your next service i am sure you have all the paper work and i would call and talk to the owners i am more then sure you will get your money back for plugs plus labor it's worth a shot in my eyes just my 2 cents

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Joe, I would absolutely be talking/ writing to someone at BRP about this, that's just plain wrong....and you have a dealer tech to back you're statements up as far as damages....also if you paid for the original work with a credit card you may have some re-course through you're cc company as far warranty......just some thoughts.......Good Luck......Mike......:gaah:......:thumbup:

joe schmoe
04-08-2012, 08:39 AM
First off it's not uncommon for those bolts to strip, many of us have gone to a hex head because of it.

Did you look at the plugs after the first oil change? Maybe they did change it out and just maybe the new dealer had the same problem.

The next, it doesn't take 3 to 4 days to get new ones, you can get them at a local auto parts store if you want and chances are they have a plug in stock that will work, it's a common size. There are better options.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?23611-Oil-Drain-Plug-Issue-Solved!
Come to think about it I may have a couple of extra ones if you need them, just replace them when you get a chance.

As far as getting the stripped ones out you can take a punch or a chisel to the side edge and tap it a couple of times and it will come right out. Best to warm it up first. I've had to do this a couple of times.

Thanks for the info Lamont....Yes it's possible that the new dealer did it, but with the other tech telling us that he did on the initial oil change, I would suspect that it was them, but yet another reason I can't really chew their butts!!! I can't prove any of it!!!

When I get back from Austin, if it's alright I may head up your way and get them from you or at least come up and talk about riding out to Spyderfest!!! I can buy a couple of hex head bolts.... I'll look over this thread you posted and while I'm traveling pick up a couple!!!

Thanks!!:clap::clap::clap:

And yes Mastertek2000, seeing it's the wife's Spyder I would rather PAY someone to work on it than to go through the GREIF and AGGRAVATION IF I hiccuped and breathed on her spyder wrong!!!! Just worth the cost of dealer service!!! I serve my Vision but will NOT even offer to do the wires just to keep peace in the family!!! nojoke

joe schmoe
04-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Problem solved!!! Ordered the kit for the Spyder from Dimple!!!! Thanks again, Lamont!!! I'll call you when I get back and we'll hook up if your in town!!! :bowdown: