PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Bug Splatter/Juice

glynnk
04-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Okay, I've oftened wondered about this, but never had the courage or stupidity to pose the question. Went on a nice breakfast run today and came back with a windshield plastered with bugs on the front and backside. How do bugs get splatterd on the backside/inside (driver's side) of the windshield? Is there some sort of cosmic force that's involved, some rules of science that applies? And I don't ride backwards at any time other then to back up at low speeds. As you can tell, I've probably got a little too much time on my hands this Easter Holiday, but cleaning all the bug juice off has made me wonder why this occurs. Besides, having to clean the Spyder allows me to miss the strategy session regarding where to hide Easter Eggs for grandkids.

Glynn

AMTJIM
04-07-2012, 05:53 PM
That's a natural low pressure area, the front of your windshield pushes the air out and away so a vacuum exists behind the windshield. The air around you tries to rush in to equalize the pressure. Semi trucks sometimes have additional panels off the back of the trailer to rid themselves of the drag from this, NASCAR loves to draft one another to slingshot ahead with it, Bernoulli Priciple uses it to describe lift of aircraft.

sandrunr1
04-08-2012, 12:11 AM
I have a cal/sci windshield with the hole in the middle down low. I always thought that is was there to let air pass through but not. I put my hand there testing my extension and the air goes back through the hole relieving the back pressure. My extension sets almost 2 inches off the windshield and up a bit. I also thought the air would pass through defeating the extension but the air is pushed up and over my head. My eyes are just above the extension and if I lean forward a bit, I am below it. No bugs as they go back through the hole I guess.

Bob Denman
04-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Is there some sort of cosmic force that's involved, some rules of science that applies?

I believe that it's a corollary to Murphy's Law:
Bug debris will always get in the darndest places right before you realize that you've run out of time to clean the bike again before the next ride! :gaah:

flamingobabe
04-08-2012, 09:00 AM
glynnk...generally the bugs never stick to my wrap...but the trip out to the Hill Country this past week....the bugs are everywhere....had a few find their way up and under my sheild.....pesty little things......hav a good Easter...

glynnk
04-08-2012, 05:53 PM
That's a natural low pressure area, the front of your windshield pushes the air out and away so a vacuum exists behind the windshield. The air around you tries to rush in to equalize the pressure. Semi trucks sometimes have additional panels off the back of the trailer to rid themselves of the drag from this, NASCAR loves to draft one another to slingshot ahead with it, Bernoulli Priciple uses it to describe lift of aircraft.

Okay...kinda makes sense now...

Glynn

glynnk
04-08-2012, 05:55 PM
I believe that it's a corollary to Murphy's Law:
Bug debris will always get in the darndest places right before you realize that you've run out of time to clean the bike again before the next ride! :gaah:

LOL!! Like the way you think!

Glynn

Bob Denman
04-09-2012, 07:06 AM
:roflblack: I like to keep things light... :thumbup:
It drives my Missus NUTZ! :shocked::gaah: