PDA

View Full Version : Any mod required for internal fan cowl (Spyderpops HM install)

Questions
04-07-2012, 02:56 PM
This may be a simple answer for most, but while hunting for a coolant leak I am also installing my Spyderpops HM. I have the bottom panel pulled but was wondering if the stock internal shroud/cowling would force the now blocked air to exit the lower vent at an even higher velocity (directed by inner cowl). Oh! By the way, Tupperware removal sucks!

tnhoover
04-09-2012, 08:05 PM
I installed the SpyderPops heat blocker and it did cause the hot air o exit the lower opening. Because I have the Kewl Metal highway pegs installed it redirected the heat directly on my right foot. I ended up fabricating a heat block for the lower opening as well. I removed the Y panel per the SpyderPops instructions. I have about 3,000 miles on this setup with zero overheating issues.

SPYDERPOPS
04-19-2012, 12:02 PM
This may be a simple answer for most, but while hunting for a coolant leak I am also installing my Spyderpops HM. I have the bottom panel pulled but was wondering if the stock internal shroud/cowling would force the now blocked air to exit the lower vent at an even higher velocity (directed by inner cowl). Oh! By the way, Tupperware removal sucks!

I'm sorry to find this post so late as we get ready for Spyderfest, so here goes. Yes, it does force more air out the bottom opening which is reduced by removing the lower panel under the body. Some have even used hole saws to cut several holes in the bottom of the internal shroud to make even more go out the bottom.

I'm very interested in the results of blocking off both openings like described in the other post and don't know why it wouldn't work if there is enough flow out the bottom. We have recently developed a new lower block off plate for the rider that has short legs or never would never use highway pegs. This lower blockoff plate stops the heat from blowing onto the top of your foot.

We will have these at Spyderfest as a new item and won't be on our website until afterwards.
Harvey

tnhoover
04-19-2012, 07:51 PM
I fabricated my lower opening heat blocker from some metal flashing I got at Lowes. I have over 3,000 miles with both openings blocked with no issues. As I stated I have the lower Y panel removed. They only time I ever have an issue is when I am stuck in traffic I feel the heat coming up from under the Spyder but it is certainly less heat then I had on my foot before I blocked the lower opening.

fireplug98
04-20-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm sorry to find this post so late as we get ready for Spyderfest, so here goes. Yes, it does force more air out the bottom opening which is reduced by removing the lower panel under the body. Some have even used hole saws to cut several holes in the bottom of the internal shroud to make even more go out the bottom.

I'm very interested in the results of blocking off both openings like described in the other post and don't know why it wouldn't work if there is enough flow out the bottom. We have recently developed a new lower block off plate for the rider that has short legs or never would never use highway pegs. This lower blockoff plate stops the heat from blowing onto the top of your foot.

We will have these at Spyderfest as a new item and won't be on our website until afterwards.
Harvey

I can't make it to Spyderfest but I'm looking forward to your new lower block off plate !!! :yes:

Tommy J.