PDA

View Full Version : Blipper valve? Help!

larrymz3
04-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Ok, so, I purchased a 2008 GS last week from a private party, and just took it into the dealer today for it's 6k checkup service. $260 quoted for that which seems reasonable.

After waiting for 3 hrs. the service manager comes to tell me that after they hooked it up to BUDS, there are a bunch of service campaigns which need to be completed on the bike...even though BRP is not showing them for my VIN... hmm... ok... they have to order a bunch of the parts. No charge.

The kicker is that he said the Blipper valve solenoid is failing and throwing a ton of error codes. He said that it would be safer if I left the bike rather than drive it. Again, more parts to be ordered. $370 for the part + $100-150 in labor to install.

5-7 business days on parts + a day to install everything. I left bikeless. This really sucks because the weather is beautiful here, and I want to ride!!!

What do you think? Is the bike really unsafe to drive with a failing Blipper?

billybovine
04-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Ok, so, I purchased a 2008 GS last week from a private party, and just took it into the dealer today for it's 6k checkup service. $260 quoted for that which seems reasonable.

After waiting for 3 hrs. the service manager comes to tell me that after they hooked it up to BUDS, there are a bunch of service campaigns which need to be completed on the bike...even though BRP is not showing them for my VIN... hmm... ok... they have to order a bunch of the parts. No charge.

The kicker is that he said the Blipper valve solenoid is failing and throwing a ton of error codes. He said that it would be safer if I left the bike rather than drive it. Again, more parts to be ordered. $370 for the part + $100-150 in labor to install.

5-7 business days on parts + a day to install everything. I left bikeless. This really sucks because the weather is beautiful here, and I want to ride!!!

What do you think? Is the bike really unsafe to drive with a failing Blipper?

It would be nice to have a little bit more detail. For starters you must have a SE5 because the SM5 does not have a blipper solinoid. So in future questions mention your model you get better answers. I guess it is possible that the blipper could stick and not allow the trottle to return to idle and be a safety issue. I would be more concerned about the blipper not attivating when it should and causing extra stress and wear on the transmission during shifts.

larrymz3
04-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Yes it is an SE5. I wasn't aware that any other version had a blipper valve.

coz
04-06-2012, 06:19 PM
what the hell is a blipper? and while i'm at it, what the hell is a thingy?:banghead::doorag:

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-06-2012, 06:41 PM
They are not you're concern, coz .....leave that alone..............I will show you on my way to Spyderfest.......:2excited::roflblack:.....Mike :thumbup: "thingy's" are on a need to know basis only.....

coz
04-06-2012, 08:13 PM
i'm glad to know it's a real part, unlike a '' thingy '':roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: thanks h d x :bowdown:

NancysToy
04-06-2012, 08:36 PM
The throttle blipper is what allows an SE5 to be shifted while holding the throttle open, instead of letting off. It "blips" the throttle momentarily, allowing the gears to mesh and switch without raising the rpm. Sort of like an electronic speed shifter.

SethO
04-06-2012, 09:10 PM
mine has been bad all winter, you can ride it like that, you will get a limp mode randomly, shut it off let it time out, 30 seconds and start it back up and you will be fine. In the last 800 miles I rode it did it once.

You could ride it like this but just bring it in when they can swap it out.

coz
04-06-2012, 09:10 PM
i haven't heard much about them untill recently. thought i t might have been a made up word, like ''thingy'':barf:

larrymz3
04-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Well, ya' learn something new every day.........

I had an SM5- didn't know the SE5's had one-

Where did you get that graphic from? I have the service manual and couldn't find it?

Also, what do you think? Best that I did leave it at dealer to be fixed?

arntufun
04-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Where did you get that graphic from? I have the service manual and couldn't find it?

Read post 11,

And you said the weather is great here in your first post............ Where is here ???

This is a great forum and it's not one that you should be scared of listing what city and state your in. You will miss alot of great rides that way.

larrymz3
04-06-2012, 09:31 PM
mine has been bad all winter, you can ride it like that, you will get a limp mode randomly, shut it off let it time out, 30 seconds and start it back up and you will be fine. In the last 800 miles I rode it did it once.

You could ride it like this but just bring it in when they can swap it out.

Thanks for the reply. I'm getting conflicting info from several sources. Some are saying that it could cause excessive wear and problems with the transmission... and others are saying it is fine and will only affect downshifting?

I did a search and found a few folks saying that the failure caused them to be stranded due to the bike not being able to shift out of neutral.

So, I'm torn. A week+ is long...but, I'm not much of a gambler!

larrymz3
04-06-2012, 09:33 PM

Read post 11,

And you said the weather is great here in your first post............ Where is here ???

This is a great forum and it's not one that you should be scared of listing what city and state your in. You will miss alot of great rides that way.

I wasn't scared... I didn't know how to change it. I just figured it out.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Coz, Randy knows what the "thingy " is, but he has been sworn to secrecy......:gaah:.....:agree:...:2excited:...... :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.....:thumbup:

NancysToy
04-07-2012, 06:34 AM
It's in Section 05, Subsection 06, Electronic Shift System-

From what I read, failure may leave you stranded. Maybe it would reset, maybe it wouldn't. It might only cause a little rough shifting. Did you notice anything wrong before you brought it in? Could cost you a flatbed ride back to the dealer if it fails.......
:agree: There will be other nice days...much nicer if you aren't worrying about spending hours broken down at the side of the road somewhere. Get it fixed!