PDA

View Full Version : Went from 1st gear to R all by itself

burg650
04-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Yesterday while at a traffic light bike (SE5) was in 1st gear and went the light turned green and I gave it gas bike started to go back, look down and it was in reverse and the RPM's was up and down between 1500 and 3000. Turned off bike waited a few min start again and it was still stuck in R, this time I turned it off and waited over 10 min and when I started (of course foot on brake pedal) this time it then went into neutral. Rode bike home and all is well now.

So for you experts what do you all think was the cause of this, never had this problem before except about a year ago it was stuck in 1st gear once and again shut it off for 10 min and all was again fine.

NancysToy
04-06-2012, 07:40 AM
This is very dangerous! I'd see your dealer ASAP.

Bob Denman
04-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Just for fun you should check to see if there are any active error codes popping up... If there are; note them and let your dealer know what you saw on the screen.

Lamonster
04-06-2012, 08:08 AM
My guess would be the GPS (Gear Position Sensor). Need to see the dealer asap.

ARtraveler
04-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Sounds dangerous. Like others, I recommend seeing the dealer ASAP

burg650
04-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Called dealer and told them what happen, after talking for about 15 min with the spyder service manager get this they told me I need a new battery.

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-06-2012, 10:35 PM
That's a very bad sign ......not about the battery......about the dealer!!!!!!......Best of luck.....Mike.....:thumbup:

NancysToy
04-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Even with a voltage problem, the reverse lockout should prevent the Spyder from reaching reverse in a single step, by itself. Are you sure you didn't accidentally hit the reverse button then nudge the shifter one more gear. If you are sure, the system should be checked out by a competent dealer. This is a serious safety issue!

Dudley
04-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Even with a voltage problem, the reverse lockout should prevent the Spyder from reacing reverse in a single step, by itself. Are you sure you didn't accidentally hit the reverse button then nudge the shifter one more gear. If you are sure, the system should be checked out by a competent dealer. This is a serious safety issue!

If the trans goes into R like our 2008 did, it takes 2 hands or a good contortionist with one hand to get it into R. May have been a "hickup", but I am pretty positive not a battery issue. The fluctuating RPMs are a mystery. It may never happen again, but it is for sure a possible safety issue.

spyder3
04-07-2012, 01:32 PM
I was going to say that it takes 2 hands for me to put it into reverse...Not sure how you could do it by accident? Now i'll have to check to see if i can do it with one hand...:roflblack: