PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps to GPS

bullant12
04-05-2012, 10:04 PM
As an IT guy, this has really left me :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: but... Does anybody know how to transfer an established route created in Google Maps to a Garmin GPS? :mad: Thanks in advance!!

mastertek2000
04-05-2012, 10:21 PM
there is no way to do that you would have to use map source that came with the Garmin plan your route then transfer to Garmin Google maps not compatible with Garmin

NancysToy
04-05-2012, 10:33 PM
You can use the export function to download the waypoints to a GPX or CSV file. If I remember right, you have to manually move that to your GPS, then import it there from the menu option. Be aware that only the waypoints are uploaded...the route is chosen by the GPS itself. Sorry I am not being more clear. It has been a while since I did this, and I have to figure it out every darned time.

wyliec
04-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Here's how to do it to find a business. Actually, I entered 2 addresses this AM and clicked on point B (the farthest away); it then allows you to transfer to your listed GPS connected to your computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_p1x-fL2zc

kentompkins
04-06-2012, 03:37 AM
There is a handy conversion program called GmapToGpx. It is a bookmarklet/utility that is available through the browser. I plan the route and click on this utility and it produces a .gpx text suitable for the Garmin. I copy to my clipboard and then paste into a text editor (I use TextWrangler which is free). I name the file something I will recognize and save it.

If your Garmin is connected to your computer you will see either the Garmin GPX file folder (or if you have a memory card, you will see one there). Drag the file into the GPX folder and you've done it! It will show up as a route on your Garmin.

Sorry if this sounds complex; it's really quite simple. The link to GmapToGpx is here:

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

ken tompkins

Grandpa Spyder
04-06-2012, 05:03 AM
It always amazes me, that there is always someone on top of their game. Ask and you shall receive. You folks are great.:clap::yes::bowdown:

mastertek2000
04-06-2012, 06:32 AM
wow thanks for increasing my knowledge i have been using Garmin for about ten years this must be new i use map source

gimpygary62
04-06-2012, 07:24 AM
I haven't been able to try this out just yet as the Garmin I own should be sitting in the Smithsonian and it won't import GPX files but the there is a free version of Tyre. http://www.tyretotravel.com/ should you be interested. I have played around some on the computer creating routes and such and it took me a little while to get the route the way I wanted it to look but once you get the hang of the thing it's pretty straight forward. The software incorporates google maps so it's just a matter of creating and moving your way points around.

I've been unable to ride in 4 months so I'm just itching to throw out that POS gps, buy something made this century, and put some miles on my bike trying this thing out. There are a couple of features in the pro version that I'm interested in so I'll probably kick down for that and I'll follow up with a post to let you know how it works out.

johnnyg
04-06-2012, 07:41 AM
I just tried it on goole map thanks it did it. we have a garmin 765 I have it set on back roads

bullant12
04-06-2012, 09:35 AM
I just tried it on goole map thanks it did it. we have a garmin 765 I have it set on back roads

What I don't get on my Garmin Zumo 665 (and most Nuvi's I've had) if you optd out Highways (no selection for interstates), it bypasses 2 lane highways and makes the route a lot longer. As much as that is fun, going thru major cities is a PITA! So how do you set the Garmin to back roads?

BTW, thanks to the other Spyderlovers who have answered! Going to try the suggestions tonight!:bowdown::2thumbs::clap:

bullant12
04-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Here's how to do it to find a business. Actually, I entered 2 addresses this AM and clicked on point B (the farthest away); it then allows you to transfer to your listed GPS connected to your computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_p1x-fL2zc

I've done this already several times. I appreciate the help, but I need to enter the specific route that I have planned. Like I mentioned previously, if I check the Garmin to bypass "Highways" it eliminates every single Highway (including highwars that are also scenic routes). Thanks!!!

Trickie Dick
04-06-2012, 09:37 PM
As Scotty said, you are transferring waypoints from the mapping program(google maps) to the garmin. The garmin software then computes the route from waypoint to waypoint. The key is to lay out the waypoints in such a way that it forces the garmin software to compute the route you want. A few years ago, when we went on our route 66 ride, I think we had over 1000 waypoints to keep us on 66. Otherwise, the garmin would throw us on I-40 or something else.
I never figured out exactly how to use google maps to set up the waypoints necessary. I also found Mapsource to be pretty complex. I finally settled on the Harley Davidson Ride planner. It does the same thing from the standpoint of transferring waypoints, not the route itself, but I found it the easiest to add waypoints in the order I wanted.

NancysToy
04-06-2012, 09:54 PM
As Scotty said, you are transferring waypoints from the mapping program(google maps) to the garmin. The garmin software then computes the route from waypoint to waypoint. The key is to lay out the waypoints in such a way that it forces the garmin software to compute the route you want. A few years ago, when we went on our route 66 ride, I think we had over 1000 waypoints to keep us on 66. Otherwise, the garmin would throw us on I-40 or something else.
I never figured out exactly how to use google maps to set up the waypoints necessary. I also found Mapsource to be pretty complex. I finally settled on the Harley Davidson Ride planner. It does the same thing from the standpoint of transferring waypoints, not the route itself, but I found it the easiest to add waypoints in the order I wanted.

Very true. Unfortunately, it can be almost impossible...or can exceed the GPS memory capacity. You have to lay out a waypoint on your route between every intersection with a main road that could take you back to the preferred type of road. To be honest, I often find it easier to do this directly on the GPS rather than in a mapping program. In route preview mode, put the cursor on the route you want, between two waypoints. Set that point as a "via" point, and the GPS will take you that way. It does get confused sometimes. If it starts leading you in circles or back where you statred, you have to give up. On the Blue Ridge Parkway, we had to just follow the GPS map without a route sometimes if the same highway crossed the Parkway numerous times. The GPS just got confused. So did Google Maps, for that matter.

I find MapSource to be too complex and bulky, too. I usually use Microsoft Streets and Trips, then export to a GPX file.

Dar
04-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Go to mapquest.com select where you want to go. point a then point b then drag the line to the roads that you want to travel on.
Make sure that your garmin GPS is connected to PC. Look to the side of screen above the map and you will see "send" click this and select your gps. and name your file. That is it :thumbup:

NancysToy
04-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Go to mapquest.com select where you want to go. point a then point b then drag the line to the roads that you want to travel on.
Make sure that your garmin GPS is connected to PC. Look to the side of screen above the map and you will see "send" click this and select your gps. and name your file. That is it :thumbup:

Still only sends the waypoints...not the route. Bing Maps does the same.

bullant12
04-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Still only sends the waypoints...not the route. Bing Maps does the same.

:agree: But I finally figured out how to create custom routes on the Garmin.:yes: Thanks again everyone!!!

gbouten
04-08-2012, 11:38 AM
I have been using my droid Bionic as my GPS. I have the new mount for it and can hear the instructions on my Scala G4. I also use it to listen to my MP3's as well as using it as (get ready for the drum roll) a phone.