PDA

View Full Version : Communication Helmet to Helmet

Harley
04-05-2012, 07:59 PM
We are considering purchasing helmet to helmet communication and would like some pointers good and bad. We are new owners and I need my navigator to keep me going the right direction. (back-seat driver, you know)

NancysToy
04-05-2012, 08:09 PM
There are both wired and wireless systems. I prefer wired Starcom1), but many others do not. I would only consider the best systems, for best noise reduction and sound quality.

Wired:
Starcom1
Autocom
Baehr

Wireless:
Sena SMH10
Cardo Scala G4 or new G9

hawkiii
04-05-2012, 08:16 PM
We use an AutoCom wired system. Don't have to worry about batteries dying on Bluetooth. Sometimes we have long days riding when we travel and don't want to lose communications.

SPYD1
04-05-2012, 08:34 PM
I have the SMH10 system and love them. I listen to music, gps, phone and oh yeah the wife. Some benefits vary with all. The wired units, I believe, some else could verify, run off the batteries on the bike verses wireless have to deal with battery life which is 4-5 hours.

SpydermanCT
04-05-2012, 08:38 PM
We have the Sena SMH10 and find it to be very user friendly and works well. I have helmet to helmet, GPS and my cell phone paired.

rhansen309
04-05-2012, 08:40 PM
We have the Scala Team Set Pro. It is a wireless bluetooth system. We have not taken any day long trip, longest has been about four hours but the book says they should last 8 hours on a single charge. They also come with a cable to connect to an MP3 player. Have fun!!

Elwood58
04-05-2012, 08:59 PM
We have the Scala Team Set Pro. It is a wireless bluetooth system. We have not taken any day long trip, longest has been about four hours but the book says they should last 8 hours on a single charge. They also come with a cable to connect to an MP3 player. Have fun!!

We also have this set. It works great.

Grandpa Spyder
04-05-2012, 09:06 PM
SENA SMH10 here also. Nothing but praise for them.

Squadcarman
04-05-2012, 09:09 PM
We like ours. We get long (6hours plus) talk time and clear communication. You must have the mic right in front of your mouth to work well. Real easy to install.

Dustybell
04-05-2012, 09:10 PM
We had a wired headset and didn't like it at all. Two months ago, we purchased the Sena SMH10 and just love them. My husband has a 3/4 helmet and I have one with a face shield and we can hear each other at highway speeds with no problem.

I have talked to people on the phone and they never knew I was on the spyder.

I just did the firmware update that is supposed to allow conference intercom conversations. Haven't tried this out yet.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the sena or scala.

NancysToy
04-05-2012, 09:17 PM
.....The wired units, I believe, some else could verify, run off the batteries on the bike verses wireless have to deal with battery life which is 4-5 hours.
Yes, the wired units run off the vehicle power supply.

5PYD3R
04-05-2012, 09:23 PM
I may also be looking for a communication system. I am going to be taking a trip to Long Island, NY from Michigan in June with my buddy. Was looking at a system for the gf and I on my bike but would also use on the trip and give one headset to my buddy for the trip. What would the recommendation be there? I see one post said batteries last 4-5 hrs and this trip will be 12hrs one way. Could it be easily turned on and off when needed? I have no experience with these at all.

SPYD1
04-05-2012, 09:23 PM
I may not have been clear on battery life so before someone corrects me, the battery life is said to be about 12 hrs talk time and 10 days stand by. Mine is reduced as I am constantly listening to music.

SPYD1
04-05-2012, 09:27 PM
I may also be looking for a communication system. I am going to be taking a trip to Long Island, NY from Michigan in June with my buddy. Was looking at a system for the gf and I on my bike but would also use on the trip and give one headset to my buddy for the trip. What would the recommendation be there? I see one post said batteries last 4-5 hrs and this trip will be 12hrs one way. Could it be easily turned on and off when needed? I have no experience with these at all.

This is where the wireless Sena, for example com in handy as they can be moved easily. Yes, then turn off easily. My son races Mustangs and he wears one set on his helmet and his woman (haha) has a headset option that she wears to stay in contact with him. I believe the new software allows you to hook up with 5 others. You can also listen to music during standby times and it automatically interrupts the music to talk.

tofriendscreek
04-05-2012, 09:37 PM
We're using Nolan N-Com. Excellent results for us. Bluetooth helmet to helmet, GPS, phone and battery has lasted all day long.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3ykngm
I'm mobile using Tapatalk

ARtraveler
04-05-2012, 10:06 PM
I have the now obsolete Scala 2's. Going on my second year with this set. Will probably move up to the 9's when the time comes.

eddieshep999
04-05-2012, 11:14 PM
I have the Sena SMH10 Bluetooth system - They are excellent
I used mine on a European trip to Germany with a friend on his motorcycle (Non Spyder) - We connected them up
and it was great being able to communicate with each other all the time

I did not find they ran out of power during a full days use - There is the option to connect them up to a normal 12volt
outlet to alllow charging when in use anyway

My Sena SMH10 is connected to my ZUMO 660 which gives Voice directions, Music and Phone connection + I have
Bluetooth my Spyder RT -S onboard Radio system via a Bluetooth transmiiter (Sony) into the SMH10 System as well
as yet I have not used the intercom function but will do when my wife travels with me - it has been tested and again
is excellent

I had always used Autocom systems on previous Motorcycle and they were excellent but as it was hard wired and powered by the motorcycles 12volt system direct, eveytime you mounted and dismounted the motorycle you had to connect and disconnect them - After time the connections became loose and did effect the quality of the sound being received

Having now experienced the latest Bluetooth system I would not go back to a hard wired system and at least the
latest Sena SMH10 can be Firmware updated always allowing for the latest functions and facilities to be utilised

Hope this helps

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

Spyder – RT-S SES (AUTO 2010 Model)

List of Mods :-
Added Zuno 660 - Garmin kit as supplied on the Spyder RT Limited
Digital Voltmeter and Digital Clock to replace Fuel and Temp gauge – Fuel and Temp now
displayed in Cluster Display
LED Bulbs Reversing Lights,Front position lights
HMT - Brake Light
Full Size Brake Pedal by Steve = TricLed.com
LED – Running lights
LED - Mud Flap lights
Rear extended Mud Flap
LED Light in Rear Trunk
Elka Shocks Stage 1 +R – Front and Rear
Shock Covers
Track Rod Covers
Spyderpops – BumpSkid .Missing Belt Guard & New Funk weatherstrip
BaJaRon – Custom Ignition Wire Set + NGK 2 Iridium DCPR8EIX. Spark Plugs
K&N Air Filter
Sport Tall Wide Clear Windshield – Cut down to 24” High
Chrome 2011 Front Lower Wind deflecors
Utopia Backrest
S/S Seat Prop
S/S Handlebar Weights
S/S Grills both sides matching
Bottom Panel S/S Protection
S/S stronger Funk Lid brackets
S/S Bracket for RBNS Hood for Zumo 660 GPS + TourTech Lockable Mount
Mirrors Zipped tied for added potection
Rubber Tank protector on glove box
Grip Puppies
Switch in Swith Cluster for Manual Fan operation
Power Socket in Switch Cluster and at Rear passenger Handrail
Rear Speaker Switch for passenger On/OFF
Upgraded Front/Rear J&M Speakers
Bluetooth Via Sony transmitter TMR- BT10 - On board Radio to Sena SMH10 Headsets

bikeguy
04-05-2012, 11:24 PM
I have the now obsolete Scala 2's. Going on my second year with this set. Will probably move up to the 9's when the time comes.

This is what we use, also. We have been very pleased with them but we use them for intercom only. On one trip, we used them from about 8:00 AM to around 5:00 PM and they were only turned off during lunch, about 45 minutes. Then I forgot to charge them overnight and was pleasantly surprised when the batteries lasted all the next day from about 7:30 AM until about 5:00 PM with about 1 1/2 hours turned off for lunch and breaks. But battery life is still a valid consideration that would not be a problem with the wired units. Like akspyderman, I will probably go to the 9's when/if I replace them but I would also consider the Sena's. Scotty, I'd probably jerk my head off when I got off and forgot to unplug the wired ones.

Cotton

sandrunr1
04-05-2012, 11:29 PM
We have the Scala 2. Battery life is about a week as I dont turn it on so I dont have to listen to my wife when I miss a turn. :roflblack:

Sny
04-06-2012, 12:09 AM
I have to throw my 2 cents in for the Uclear boomless headsets. Easy to use, tiny little things, waterproof, best noise reduction (ride no windshield, helmet flipped up, 60mph, no wind noise on the other side.) We've done 12 hour days with the intercom open the whole time and never killed the batteries. Not sure how long they last really. Longer than I'll use them for in a given day.

Best feature tho, no boom in your face. No boom to adjust or knock out of adjustment.

BajaRon
04-06-2012, 01:13 AM
Scala Rider G4 Power Set. I wanted to get the longest range of the head sets available at the time and this Scala had a much better advertised range than some and better than any I could find.

In actual use range is almost always going to be less than advertised. The manufacturers find ideal conditions (or they just go off of engineered projections) which most will never, if ever experience in the real world. But it is all relative.

The range on the Scala G4 is great, sound is clear and they have a lot of features. I have not tried anything else other than a set of Colletts. My limited helmet radio experience leads me to believe that the Scala is one of the more difficult systems to use. Not impossible, by any means but more difficult than most.

People who use their radios a lot seem to really love the Scala's. People who use them occasionally have more issues because you tend to forget the little sequences necessary to get various features to work.

Pros - great radios, lots of features, long battery life and good range.

Con's - a steeper learning curve than with other brands.

Harley
04-06-2012, 05:44 AM
Thanks for all the info on communication. I really appreciate the pros and cons, now we have an idea on what to purchase... Great site and great people :ohyea:

ulflyer
04-06-2012, 07:36 AM
I'm not current on electronic gadgets but am interested in a bike to bike commo system. Tried a CB on a previous bike and found it too cumbersome and didn't like the hooking/unhooking each time. Does "bluetooth" refer to a wireless system on its own, or does it require a cell phone to function? When I read some of the descriptions they refer to cell phones and that leaves me confused.

Bob Denman
04-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Throw another vote on the pile for the Scala Teamset Pro... :thumbup:

NancysToy
04-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Scotty, I'd probably jerk my head off when I got off and forgot to unplug the wired ones.

Cotton
It becomes second nature to unhook before you dismount. After eight years it is pretty much second nature to us. If you forget, the coiled cord tugs gently to remind you, like a shock absorber. It really isn't a problem.

I use wired systems because I have great fear of the consequences of fastening something to the outside of a helmet. Over many years of racing and serving as a racetrack official, I learned that was a no-no. Even a rigidly mounted vent can grab in a fall and jerk your head around...with unpleasant consequences. There is a reason some manufacturers, like Arai, tape on the external vent structures...they are designed to break away on impact. Yes, I know the risk is small, and there are millions of the other kind in use, but it is too late in my life to reprogram my brain. If I did a wired system, it would probably be the Schuberth, that fits around the neck portion of the helmet, and is not external.

zrc
04-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Seems like a good place to ask another question, and I think helmet smart people can tell me more.

I know some helmet manufacturers are starting to place bluetooth modules in their helmets, anyone have these and use them?

Bob Denman
04-06-2012, 08:35 AM
:popcorn::popcorn: I think I've seen some Nolans with that feature.. :popcorn:

Sny
04-06-2012, 09:02 AM
I'm not current on electronic gadgets but am interested in a bike to bike commo system. Tried a CB on a previous bike and found it too cumbersome and didn't like the hooking/unhooking each time. Does "bluetooth" refer to a wireless system on its own, or does it require a cell phone to function? When I read some of the descriptions they refer to cell phones and that leaves me confused.
Bluetooth, when it comes to helmet comms, is used in a couple ways.

You can "pair" your bluetooth phone with a bluetooth enabled helmet comm. This would let you talk on the phone, but also use any other audio features of your phone such as listening to music or GPS instructions if your phone is capable.

You can also pair most bluetooth helmet comms with other bluetooth helmet comms of the same brand (various limitations apply here based on brand and model). The Intercom ranged helmet comms typically only go 30-100 feet and are mostly meant to talk to your passenger wirelessly, or to another bike close by such as when stopped at a light or riding in a tight group. For some that's good enough. There are also the "high power" bluetooth helmet comms that have claimed ranges of 500-1000yards or more. Most of the older models of these can only connect to one other headset or maybe 2 it some kind of complicated primary/secondary setup. But the current generations such as the Scala G9 and the Uclear HBC200 will let you connect 4 to 8 or even more other units together as one large group chat. The Uclear HBC200 goes one further and every Uclear acts as a relay point for other Uclears so the effective range goes way up in a group of Uclear equipped riders (700m x 8 riders is over 5km from one end of the group to the other.)

You do not need to pair your cell phone to use the intercom or bike-to-bike functions.

You can also "pair" these helmet comms with other bluetooth devices like bluetooth enabled GPS, bluetooth enabled CB or FRS/GMRS radios.

And last, there are bluetooth adapters which let you connect non-bluetooth devices to bluetooth helmet comms.

One more thing to note, the newer models like the Scala G4, G9, Sena 10 and the Uclear HBC200 all allow for software updates via USB connected to your computer. The manufacturers fix various bugs and send updates much like your windows updates and also add in new features occasionally (rarely?). For example Uclear increased the number of headsets you can connect to from 4 to 8 in an update. I believe Scala had an update to it's FM radio firmware to improve reception.

Sny
04-06-2012, 09:10 AM
I use wired systems because I have great fear of the consequeces of fastening something to the outside of a helmet. Over many years of racing and serving as a racetrack official, I learned that was a no-no. Even a rigidly mounted vent can grab in a fall and jerk your head around...with unpleasant consequences. There is a reason some manufaturers, like Arai, tape on the external vent structures...they are designed to break away on impact. Yes, I know the risk is small, and there are millions of the otehr kind in use, but it is too late in my life to reprogram my brain. If I did a wired system, it would probably be the Schuberth, that fits around the neck portion of the helmet, and is not external.
It is a risk, but as you said a small one. I think the smaller the unit the better in this case. I don't know how people can stand having those huge Sena units sticking out of the side of their head.

I think the key for safety is for anything external to not be mounted rigidly. I haven't looked closely at all of the headset mounts, but some of them seem kinda locked on there tight. There are a few that feel soft mounted. From experience, the Uclear mounts are slip right off without a whole lot of force so I doubt they would catch on anything in a slide without slipping right off. But a straight on impact will change the angle your head contacts the ground so that's always a concern. That's where minimal size becomes important. No boom microphone kinda helps here too as it won't get caught up inside the helmet while detaching, but I think that seems almost nitpicky...

I liked the Schuberth "neck mount" in their latest helmet, but the price is very high and it was quite uncomfortable to wear. The features of the comm unit itself were outdated already, and I'd be stuck with that older featureset and performance while newer comm units came out cheaper and better. So I passed on that one.

bikeguy
04-06-2012, 10:00 AM
I use wired systems because I have great fear of the consequeces of fastening something to the outside of a helmet.

I agree that's certainly a valid concern. I think my Scala unit would break off in a crash but it might cause some serious damage before it does. Oddly enough, one thing I had wondered about with wired units was what would happen in a crash. Are the connections designed to break away or do you feel like the wire will break before it causes any serious injury?

Cotton

ARtraveler
04-06-2012, 11:23 AM
All five of my helmets are currently Nolan. They have the built in space to house the n-com system. I tried the n-com communication system and compared to the Scala 2, I did not like it. So, we have the Scala's attached to the outside of the helmets.

Speaking of Nolan: they have now updated their main helmet from the N-103 to the N-104. Supposed to be lighter by a pound, have a larger viewing port by an inch high in the front, and improved internal sunshade. I will probably pick up at least one this season to check it out.

Time to retire the two oldest helmets about 4 years old. I will put them up on the for sale thread. I have heard that you should retire helmets evey other year or immediatly after dropping them. But, that is a choice each one must make. My price will be $25 each plus shipping--by UPS ground--should be less than $25 anywhere.

NancysToy
04-06-2012, 12:01 PM
All five of my helmets are currently Nolan. They have the built in space to house the n-com system. I tried the n-com communication system and compared to the Scala 2, I did not like it. So, we have the Scala's attached to the outside of the helmets.

Speaking of Nolan: they have now updated their main helmet from the N-103 to the N-104. Supposed to be lighter by a pound, have a larger viewing port by an inch high in the front, and improved internal sunshade. I will probably pick up at least one this season to check it out.

Time to retire the two oldest helmets about 4 years old. I will put them up on the for sale thread. I have heard that you should retire helmets evey other year or immediatly after dropping them. But, that is a choice each one must make. My price will be $25 each plus shipping--by UPS ground--should be less than $25 anywhere.
Arai says to retire a helmet five years from first use or seven years from date of manufacture, after an accident, or after a serious drop. Racing organizations update at every new Snell certification, to the previous one, making the legal helmets no more than ten years old. I have always followed the 5/7 year rule. Bell used to say two years back in the infancy of fiberglass helmets, and many dealers have perpetuated that idea (for obvious reasons), but it is overkill as we have learned more about fiberglass and liner materials, and the product has improved.

gypsy_100
04-06-2012, 12:25 PM
I have to throw my 2 cents in for the Uclear boomless headsets. Easy to use, tiny little things, waterproof, best noise reduction (ride no windshield, helmet flipped up, 60mph, no wind noise on the other side.) We've done 12 hour days with the intercom open the whole time and never killed the batteries. Not sure how long they last really. Longer than I'll use them for in a given day.

Best feature tho, no boom in your face. No boom to adjust or knock out of adjustment.

Agree. UClear HBC 100. We had the best plug-in J&M equipment on our 'Wing and now went bluetooth wireless on the RT. Chose UClear based on good reviews. Not disappointed in the least. The two speakers each have built-in microphones and somehow manage to pick up the input sound just fine. Makes installation a snap. Battery life is fine (claim 10 hours "talking" and much longer "standby") and recharge is just about 45 minutes (claim two hours) so you only need one charger to handle two units when you get done with a day's riding two-up. When traveling, I hate packing a half-dozen chargers to handle our modern "conveniences".

ARtraveler
04-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Thank you Scotty for the update on retirement of helmets. I am going to go by your advice on future posts. :2thumbs:

RodO
04-06-2012, 04:47 PM
We also have this set. It works great.

Same here. AFAIR, the Scala Rider Pro was quite a bit cheaper than the newer Scala systems. It's great as a helmet-to-helmet comm, and connects to my iPhone and my Garmin 660
GPS. Battery life hasn't been a problem in the 2 years and +-25,000 km I've had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronrico
09-27-2012, 09:48 PM
I know this has been talked about a lot but I need a little help. I have 2011 RT-Limited with the comms package. At present I have a a hard wire connection to the byke. The question I have if I go wireless, maybe Scala Q9, can I get the GPS from my 660 and the byke's radio through the wireless unit? Thanks ahead of time.

wildtexasrangr
09-27-2012, 10:19 PM
http://www.vegahelmet.com/summit3.0_V-com.html

Has videos all about the helmets on right side. What me and the wife will be using.:yes:

Tigger
09-27-2012, 11:02 PM
I have the Scala Pro team set and they work well. Only complaint is that they could use a little better speaker set IMHO. But I play in a band and I am use to high quality speakers.

R30SHIRE
09-28-2012, 04:02 AM
Before you purchase wired headsets talk with J&M out of Phoenix. There the experts on wired communications. They sell wired sets to match different brand helmets. Just google J&M

Farmbanker
09-28-2012, 12:05 PM
We have the Sena SMH10 and love them. Paired with my phone or IPOD, plenty of talk time. Crystal clear communication.

Pincushion
09-28-2012, 01:38 PM
I have the Scala G4 Powerset! I can not say enough good things about them. I will say that your experience depends on how you set them up....Mine are voice activated so I do not have to press to talk al all...
I have a friend that had issues with his and it seemed that was due to the setting he selected at set up.

I use these to talk to my passenger (wife) for 10-12 hours at a time, as well as another ryder at the same time. the G4 allows upto 4 ryders, the G9 allows up to 8.

Blondie
09-30-2012, 07:18 PM
We are considering purchasing helmet to helmet communication and would like some pointers good and bad. We are new owners and I need my navigator to keep me going the right direction. (back-seat driver, you know)

My husband and I just got a pair of Sena 10 blue-tooth compatible headsets. They worked great on our trip to Arkansas and back with very little issues. They held the charge well and the clarity was great. We used them from his bike (a harley) to my Spyder, but equally well when I rode 2 up with him. I would recommend them, and the set up wasn't even too hard.

ronrico
09-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks for of your help. The main question that still needs to be answered is: I like listening to my radio on the :spyder2: and can any of the headsets mentioned, Sena or Scala etc, connect via booth tooth or other ways to the radio??? Or is there one out there that receives a radio or better yet XM or sat radio. Again thanks

bcoulter19
09-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Scala g4 has a built in fm radio and you can Bluetooth it to your phone if you want tip listen to music from it or a internet radio station.

donnellpj
09-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Scala Rider G4 Power Set. I wanted to get the longest range of the head sets available at the time and this Scala had a much better advertised range than some and better than any I could find.

In actual use range is almost always going to be less than advertised. The manufacturers find ideal conditions (or they just go off of engineered projections) which most will never, if ever experience in the real world. But it is all relative.

The range on the Scala G4 is great, sound is clear and they have a lot of features. I have not tried anything else other than a set of Colletts. My limited helmet radio experience leads me to believe that the Scala is one of the more difficult systems to use. Not impossible, by any means but more difficult than most.

People who use their radios a lot seem to really love the Scala's. People who use them occasionally have more issues because you tend to forget the little sequences necessary to get various features to work.

Pros - great radios, lots of features, long battery life and good range.

Con's - a steeper learning curve than with other brands.

Laura and I use the G9, and the battery life is awesome, somewhere around 14-16 hours of solid use. Never been a fan of standby/talk times as they arent very real world freindly. I have mine synced to my phone for voice and audio, and it works great with VOX and SIRI on the iPhone. GPS works great through it, both my Garmin 660 and my iPhone, and will operate simultaneously with voice and audio, which is nice.

I agree with Ron, the learning curve is steep as these really are feature rich, and they are on the higher end of the price range at ~$500 USD for the power set. However, they have been invaluable so far, and we would not want to be without them at this point.

Noise cancelation is very good, but the mic is directional. Not a big deal, you will figure that out pretty quickly, and it's certainly not a deal breaker.

Easy install, big Fisher Price buttons for when you're using gloves, and many mic and mounting hardware options.

This is my only experience with a helmet/helmet comm system, and I haven't needed to look elsewhere yet.