PDA

View Full Version : Roadster 2012-4 A Updated Throttle Body Actuator Protection B

Lamonster
04-05-2012, 04:21 PM
This is just a heads up for all 2011-2012 RT owners. Your dealer should be contacting you but if you want to be proactive you can contact them and setup an appointment to have the 2012-4 done.

Roadster 2012-4 A Updated Throttle Body Actuator Protection B
Middle Side Panel Grommet Replacement 2011 Models Only

All involved customers must be notified, all involved units must be corrected as per instructions herein

Product:
Roadster

Bulletin type:
Warranty Campaign

Bulletin no:
2012-4 (rbg2012-005 en AG)

Revision no:

Revision date:

Campaign no.:
2011-0013
2012-0004

Publication date:
April 4th, 2012

Subject:
A) Updated Throttle Body Actuator Protection
B) Middle Side Panel Grommet Replacement (2011 Models Only)

YEAR
MODEL
MODEL NUMBER
SERIAL NUMBER

Spyder™ RT
All
All

See attached list

PROBLEM
Problem A
In some conditions, the throttle body actuator could get damaged, which could lead to fault codes or limp home mode when trying to start the engine.
IMPORTANT: For 2011 models, carry out this campaign even if campaign 2011-0008 was already performed on the vehicle.

Problem B
One some 2011 vehicles, one of the middle side panels rubber grommets might fall off after multiple removal and installation of the panel.

SOLUTION
Problem A
Update ECM with revised software.

Just a little FYI on the ECM update.

The throttle body actuator protection portion of the bulletin is very important as updating the ECM software will greatly increase throttle body reliability. This bulletin applies to all 2011 and 2012 RT models. It does not apply to 2010 RT models. Under certain conditions, the ETA (electronic throttle actuator) could experience an over-current period which would overheat the electric motor and cause it to fail. This type of failure would result in the engine going into limp home mode at start up and trip any of these codes. P1614, P1610, P1611 or P1615. When this happens it is necessary to replace the entire throttle body. With this new software in place, the ETA cannot receive excessive current. Operation of the vehicle will not change in any way. There will still be the quiet humming as the throttle blades are held closed for 40 minutes after the engine is shut off. It will start and run exactly as it did previously.

MouthPiece
04-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks Lamont.

Chris

Arr MiHardies
04-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the update!

Max LTD
04-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Great timing, my Spyder is going into the Shop next Tuesday for its 1000 kms inspection.

Thanks Lamonster

[QUOTE=Lamonster;436381]This is just a heads up for all 2011-2012 RT owners. Your dealer should be contacting you but if you want to be proactive you can contact them and setup an appointment to have the 2012-4

Dizneyman
04-05-2012, 06:53 PM
got mine done two weeks ago as part of the "test"... all seems the same as you stated.

WaltH
04-05-2012, 07:02 PM
I have had mine done.

scooterexpress
04-05-2012, 08:11 PM
i just went into limp mode this afternooon good thing i wasnt even out of the garage when this happened called dealership told them what happen they said sounds like t.b. i'm going to bring this thread to there attention.

but heres what occured turned on bike fired it up oil pressure shot up to 53psi at 1750 rpms then after awile of just running the bike oil went to 35psi still to high but i did the ole start stop thing no good still in limp, chec engine mode rpms never came down below 1700 and occasionally would jump to 2000 then the engine would die now i can't even keep the engine running just wondering how i'm going to get on the trailer tommorow. is this a typicaly t.b. prob ev1 i've been reading all these threads and was knocking on wood don't let this happen to me and only 2wks from spyderfest too any feed back on this so when i take it in i can show them this want my spyder back on the road not a trailer.:(:pray: thats right going to say prayers for my black widow..

hope this bulliten will fix my bike on the spot:pray:

NancysToy
04-05-2012, 08:17 PM
i just went into limp mode this afternooon good thing i wasnt even out of the garage when this happened called dealership told them what happen they said sounds like t.b. i'm going to bring this thread to there attention.

but heres what occured turned on bike fired it up oil pressure shot up to 53psi at 1750 rpms then after awile of just running the bike oil went to 35psi still to high but i did the ole start stop thing no good still in limp, chec engine mode rpms never came down below 1700 and occasionally would jump to 2000 then the engine would die now i can't even keep the engine running just wondering how i'm going to get on the trailer tommorow. is this a typicaly t.b. prob ev1 i've been reading all these threads and was knocking on wood don't let this happen to me and only 2wks from spyderfest too any feed back on this so when i take it in i can show them this want my spyder back on the road not a trailer.:(:pray: thats right going to say prayers for my black widow..

hope this bulliten will fix my bike on the spot:pray:

The good news is that those symptoms are consistent with throttle body issues. The bad news is that if you have actually damaged the positioner, the TB will have to be replaced...the firmware update alone will prevent it, but not cure it. Those oil pressures seem normal, BTW...definitely not too high. If you want to know what is happening, push "MODE", SET", and the turn signal cancal simultaneously to display the fault codes. Any of the codes shown above in the summary of the service bulletin is grounds for throttle body replacement.

scooterexpress
04-05-2012, 08:27 PM
The good news is that those symptoms are consistent with throttle body issues. The bad news is that if you have actually damaged the positioner, the TB will have to be replaced...the firmware update alone will prevent it, but not cure it. Those oil pressures seem normal, BTW...definitely not too high. If you want to know what is happening, push "MODE", SET", and the turn signal cancal simultaneously to display the fault codes. Any of the codes shown above in the summary of the service bulletin is grounds for throttle body replacement.

ok i just did that i got to codes p1615 and p160e what does this mean anyone??

tobor9
04-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks,taking Sofia's Rt in for 6K service Monday.

Lamonster
04-05-2012, 08:41 PM
ok i just did that i got to codes p1615 and p160e what does this mean anyone??

It's in the first post

"This type of failure would result in the engine going into limp home mode at start up and trip any of these codes. P1614, P1610, P1611 or P1615. When this happens it is necessary to replace the entire throttle body."

scooterexpress
04-05-2012, 08:42 PM
It's in the first post

"This type of failure would result in the engine going into limp home mode at start up and trip any of these codes. P1614, P1610, P1611 or P1615. When this happens it is necessary to replace the entire throttle body."

ok i saw the p1615 but what is p160E?

Lamonster
04-05-2012, 08:55 PM
ok i saw the p1615 but what is p160E?

That's your ETA Electrical Throttle Actuator

scooterexpress
04-05-2012, 09:07 PM
That's your ETA Electrical Throttle Actuator

ok so does that need to be replaced also? just trying to get all this info so when i get to the shop in thea.m. i can tell them this

NancysToy
04-05-2012, 09:13 PM
ok so does that need to be replaced also? just trying to get all this info so when i get to the shop in thea.m. i can tell them this
Let the techs do their jobs. Usually when you tell them up front, it just slows or confuses things. They will read the diagnostic codes, and order a throttle body if they don't have one. You might want to mention this latest warranty campaign, however. Sometimes they are not caught up on the new ones.

Tonga
04-06-2012, 05:53 AM
What about the 2010 RT's ?? Do they have issues with throttle bodies or are they built differently?

Bob Denman
04-06-2012, 07:01 AM
:agree::agree: 2010 here that's throwing P1614s... :gaah:

Lamonster
04-06-2012, 07:36 AM
What about the 2010 RT's ?? Do they have issues with throttle bodies or are they built differently?

2010's will not throw these codes for the same reason, not to say that they can't have a TB problem. This has more to do with a software update that was done in 2011 to hold the throttle plates shut for 40 min. to prevent hot start issues. As with many software issues, you fix one problem only to create a new one. :sour:

Fonz
04-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the update, made my appointment today for next week

JCSMOKE
04-06-2012, 06:32 PM
2010's will not throw these codes for the same reason, not to say that they can't have a TB problem. This has more to do with a software update that was done in 2011 to hold the throttle plates shut for 40 min. to prevent hot start issues. As with many software issues, you fix one problem only to create a new one. :sour:

Yup, I went in today to have them throw it on buds and do the update, it was done quickly and I was satisfied that my troubles were averted, until I looked at the gas gauge and saw that it was telling me my full tank was empty:banghead:. It was working fine when I brought it in and now they say I will have to bring it back when I want to have that issue worked on, service tech says he probably has to tear my beautiful bike apart to figure out the issue.:yikes: My plan for now is to b:cus:ch about it here and then keep an eagle eye on my miles until I get sick of it and take her in for servicing.

R.T. Smith
04-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I will contact my dealer. I am a new member and I am learning a lot by reading the posts.

Lamonster
04-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I will contact my dealer. I am a new member and I am learning a lot by reading the posts.

:welcome:

rogerb
04-06-2012, 08:13 PM
They had to replace the throttle body last fall on my 2010. Had to cancel my last trip because of it. Better before than during. Doing what we had planned after Spyderfest. Tenn will still be lovely in May as it would have been in October. :thumbup:

jascreek
04-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks took mine in today.

currin20fan
04-07-2012, 05:27 AM
I have the 2011 RT limited.....what scares me is this is service bulletin 2012-4. I assume there were bulletin 2012, 1,2&3. Am I wrong? I try very hard to keep up with all the bulletins for my spyder. And on March 14th I had the spyder to the dealer for an ECU UPDATE, which was the 2nd throttle body update. So now is this the third one?

currin20fan
04-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Was at my local dealer for a "special occation". Had the repair rep check out the service bulletin that I have been reading about just these past couple of days. He did say that my spyder was up to date, and yes, he did put it on the buds system. The update he did March 17 is the same thing. BRP reissued the update because not many RT's have paid attention and they want ALL of them to be updated. Velocity Powersports in Ladson and PJ in particular are the bomb! They have been very helpful and I'm 100% pleased with their service.

scooterexpress
04-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Yup, I went in today to have them throw it on buds and do the update, it was done quickly and I was satisfied that my troubles were averted, until I looked at the gas gauge and saw that it was telling me my full tank was empty:banghead:. It was working fine when I brought it in and now they say I will have to bring it back when I want to have that issue worked on, service tech says he probably has to tear my beautiful bike apart to figure out the issue.:yikes: My plan for now is to b:cus:ch about it here and then keep an eagle eye on my miles until I get sick of it and take her in for servicing.

just disconnect the fuel and water gauge it will divert to your on screen computer better reliable. but you have to disconnect both.

Lamonster
04-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Was at my local dealer for a "special occation". Had the repair rep check out the service bulletin that I have been reading about just these past couple of days. He did say that my spyder was up to date, and yes, he did put it on the buds system. The update he did March 17 is the same thing. BRP reissued the update because not many RT's have paid attention and they want ALL of them to be updated. Velocity Powersports in Ladson and PJ in particular are the bomb! They have been very helpful and I'm 100% pleased with their service.

This is not the same update. This was just releasted and only a few dealers had the new ECM update as beta testers. If your dealer wasn't one of them he does not have the new update.

currin20fan
04-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks Lamont! I'll surely keep this in mind. If I don't hear back from my dealer, I will contact them.

dancogan
04-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Oops. Missed this one the first time around ... or forgot. Thanks!

JCSMOKE
04-11-2012, 02:25 PM
just disconnect the fuel and water gauge it will divert to your on screen computer better reliable. but you have to disconnect both.
did that way before the updated empty fuel tank download

TicketBait
04-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Lamont: I just had a new throttle body put in on March 29th 2012 for my 2010 RTS, however I have a new cluster that is a 2011, so do I need this additional update to make sure the mechanism stays open/ shut for 40 minutes ? I am taking her in for a normal oil change service and having them change to the new plugs kr8bi later today to pick up later tomorrow.

Lamonster
04-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Lamont: I just had a new throttle body put in on March 29th 2012 for my 2010 RTS, however I have a new cluster that is a 2011, so do I need this additional update to make sure the mechanism stays open/ shut for 40 minutes ? I am taking her in for a normal oil change service and having them change to the new plugs kr8bi later today to pick up later tomorrow.
I think you would need a 2011 harness too. You should be good as is.

NancysToy
04-11-2012, 05:22 PM
I think you would need a 2011 harness too. You should be good as is.
:agree: This update is for the ECM, and yours is the same as it was.

TicketBait
04-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks Lamont & Scotty, I dropped her off today & the tech said he had not put a new harness in, so I should be good to go. The bike has been running really good the last 2800 miles. I leave for spyderfest on the 18th & should arrive on the 24th. It is good to know they have come up with a fix for the dreaded TB!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fzcewj
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bobbobtar
04-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Well I had the update done today and being the second Spyder to have this done at my dealer and the first Spyder with aftermarket gauges ( volt and oil pressure ) the update deleted the fuel reading on the center fuel gauge. The tech. called BRP and was told there is a glitch in the software with this type of gauge package, so he had to enter each line of code manually. Thought everything was OK until half way home ( 45 miles ) and the Spyder was showing code P2416, maybe I got the beta software, will have to call them tomorrow

edrn
04-11-2012, 09:04 PM
I've had a) throttle bodies adjusted b) throttle bodies replaced c) oxygen sensor replaced d) computer replaced ( that's 4 separate times in the shop anybody say lemon). Still having engine lights and very poor mileage 21/ gallon. 2011 rtse5 with 18,000+ miles. Can anyone help before I go to the DMV for the lemon law paperwork? Will this new program adjustment help. Edrn

minerdoug
04-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Having my 2011 Limited checked this Friday for updates before leaving for Spyderfest

NancysToy
04-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Well I had the update done today and being the second Spyder to have this done at my dealer and the first Spyder with aftermarket gauges ( volt and oil pressure ) the update deleted the fuel reading on the center fuel gauge. The tech. called BRP and was told there is a glitch in the software with this type of gauge package, so he had to enter each line of code manually. Thought everything was OK until half way home ( 45 miles ) and the Spyder was showing code P2416, maybe I got the beta software, will have to call them tomorrow
P2416 is a code for "O2 Sensor Signals Swapped." If they did not removed and reconnect any wiring, i suspect the software may have some additional flaws. I guess I'll cancel my update appointment for tomorrow, until they get a better handle on things.

captblack
04-12-2012, 05:03 AM
Sea breeze came in early, clearing the smoke coming from the NE FL wild fires ... was a beautiful day for a ride. Called Jax Powersports to see if they could fit me in. Whole thing took about 20 minutes and they were having a BRP test ride event so I spent the time visiting with the BRP reps and watching the closed course rides.

No problems at all with the mod - only a little lust for that Lava Bronze RT they were showing off ...

spyder3
04-12-2012, 07:54 AM
P2416 is a code for "O2 Sensor Signals Swapped." If they did not removed and reconnect any wiring, i suspect the software may have some additional flaws. I guess I'll cancel my update appointment for tomorrow, until they get a better handle on things.

I'm thinking the same thing at this point. works for some, and not for others.:gaah:

ulflyer
04-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Beginning to seem like a trial and error situation with the TB.
Mine got the early updates last year within a day or so after reading about it here but still threw the code calling for total replacement shortly thereafter. No prob since, and Winston Honda took mine in last tuesday and for the newest update. A friend recently bought a new 2012 and already has had TB replaced.

Bill: Winston has the Lava Brown and matching trailer sitting on the showroom floor. I put your name on it; told them you'd be in shortly with a pocket full of $$$$! :D

Rando
04-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Lamonster, do you have any additional info from BRP concerning any issues with the fix? I had it done right away but maybe I should have waited to make sure they had all the "bugs" worked out.

Lamonster
04-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Lamonster, do you have any additional info from BRP concerning any issues with the fix? I had it done right away but maybe I should have waited to make sure they had all the "bugs" worked out.

The only glitch that I know of is with the digital fuel gauge. By Friday the revised version of BUDS R3.3.2 will be released. The glitch will be resolved. If you're not having a problem with your fuel gauge you should be fine.

va2djd
04-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Hi, I hade mind done today on my 2011 RTS and i have the same probleme with digital gauge, empty fuel tank but if you plug back you're original gauge it work. but i replace them with volt and oil pressure. like lamonster said will wait for friday

antd929
04-12-2012, 05:54 PM
The only glitch that I know of is with the digital fuel gauge. By Friday the revised version of BUDS R3.3.2 will be released. The glitch will be resolved. If you're not having a problem with your fuel gauge you should be fine.

is this glitch were the fuel gauge reads empty but you still have quite a bit of fuel leftmine bounces so to speak i just bought bike 3/31/12. i do not know if it has update for throttle body or not as it is a 2011 rts going in for 600 mile service next week. also does it cause bike to just shut down or stall at idle

cjackg
04-12-2012, 07:49 PM
Beginning to seem like a trial and error situation with the TB.
Mine got the early updates last year within a day or so after reading about it here but still threw the code calling for total replacement shortly thereafter. No prob since, and Winston Honda took mine in last tuesday and for the newest update. A friend recently bought a new 2012 and already has had TB replaced.

This is the first time I have seen mention of TB failure on a 2012 .....

bluestratos
04-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Just had my second TB actuator and controls replaced and ready for pickup tomorrow. I hope the software fixes this once and for all.

Lamonster
04-13-2012, 09:36 AM
is this glitch were the fuel gauge reads empty but you still have quite a bit of fuel leftmine bounces so to speak i just bought bike 3/31/12. i do not know if it has update for throttle body or not as it is a 2011 rts going in for 600 mile service next week. also does it cause bike to just shut down or stall at idle

If you still have the analog gauges and the fuel gauge bounces you need to have your dealer replace it under warrenty.

The stalling issue can be fuel, TB, and even plugs. This update has nothing to do with that.

scooterexpress
04-13-2012, 11:09 AM

lamont, did brp release the new fix for this today?

Lamonster
04-13-2012, 11:11 AM
lamont, did brp release the new fix for this today?

Yes, a revised version of BUDS is now available to address this situation. BUDS R3.3.2.

scooterexpress
04-13-2012, 12:14 PM
good news t.b. came in today bad news cant get to my bike till tues. oh well what can you do about it but mope..lol. just might make spyderfest yet.

J. Mark
04-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Took Spyke in this morning for the 2012-4 Campaign Recall (the way it is written up on my receipt) to update the software. I had a throttle body replacement at 300 miles but no problems since. Was almost afraid to have the update done, but thanks to the encouragement in this site...went ahead with it...drove fine on the 12 mile trip home. Planning a hundred mile run tomorrow to make sure it doesn't throw any codes. Really looking forward to seeing many of you in Cuba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yes:

Mark

minerdoug
04-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Completed bulletin 2012-4 this morning. Left dealer at 37°F and snowing, got home ( 50 miles) at 53°F and partly cloudy. Gotta love Northern Nevada weather

bobbobtar
04-13-2012, 07:08 PM

Scotty,
I pulled the RT out of the garage headed to the dealer and the RT was still showing "check engine" got about 5 miles down the road and the light went out and the bike really ran well. When I got to dealer, he checked for codes and could not find any. Went for a little 100 mile ride on the way home and the P2416 code never came back.

NancysToy
04-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Scotty,
I pulled the RT out of the garage headed to the dealer and the RT was still showing "check engine" got about 5 miles down the road and the light went out and the bike really ran well. When I got to dealer, he checked for codes and could not find any. Went for a little 100 mile ride on the way home and the P2416 code never came back.
Leprechauns!

baldman902
04-14-2012, 10:39 AM
I just had the update done on my RTS and the digital fuel gauge went south. The dealer called BRP and they said it was the first they have heard about it. The dealer was told to take a new cluster and check the gauge and it worked, BRP authorized a new cluster to be installed. It will arrive Tues. Will let you know what happens.:(

scooterexpress
04-14-2012, 01:36 PM
lamont posted yesterday that brp released the fix for that on friday did your dealer have that one that fixes the digital fuel gauge.

Elwood58
04-14-2012, 06:33 PM
I had the recall campaign done on Thursday. While riding home I got Check Engine, Check DPS, the VSS Icon lit up, and it went into Limp Mode. Rained all day Friday, so I took it in this morning. I had to get there in Limp Mode. Not fun. They reload everything again, and all seems well now. Took a 50 mile ride this afternoon with no issues.

The only Code it was throwing was P0504, and I guarantee I was not riding the brake.

docdoru
04-14-2012, 08:32 PM
I just had the update done on my RTS and the digital fuel gauge went south. The dealer called BRP and they said it was the first they have heard about it.
Well trained workers. ;)

scooterexpress
04-17-2012, 03:17 PM
just back from the dealership had that new t.b. put in i asked did you put in the updates that brp sent out they told me yes so i left shop and noticed i had a low fuel light and no bar readings but temp side was working so i went to gas station filled it up 3.4gals all it took still low fuel light on and no fuel bars so i go back to the shop then they said when they hooked up computer it didnt require any updates my question is do they need to force that update in in order for the protection and to fix the glitch on the fuel?

NancysToy
04-17-2012, 03:32 PM
just back from the dealership had that new t.b. put in i asked did you put in the updates that brp sent out they told me yes so i left shop and noticed i had a low fuel light and no bar readings but temp side was working so i went to gas station filled it up 3.4gals all it took still low fuel light on and no fuel bars so i go back to the shop then they said when they hooked up computer it didnt require any updates my question is do they need to force that update in in order for the protection and to fix the glitch on the fuel?
It appears they did the update, but used a previous version of BUDS. They need the newest vesion, released last Friday.

scooterexpress
04-17-2012, 03:36 PM
it was trying to talk to a brick wall they didnt want to listen to me i tried,tried but they just wouldnt give in or go look it up so i called another dealership they had the 2012-4 one then i asked did you get the 1 that was realeased on the 13th said no but he looked it up while i was on the phone and said oh ok here it is going to get the software downloaded i said i'll see you tommorrow.

scooterexpress
04-19-2012, 09:21 AM
went to another dealer they hooked up buds saw that the 2012-4 was downloaded. said i was good to go but i told them there was another update to fix my problem so they hooked up computer to internet and low and behold they found the fri13th realease r3.3.2.. they had to uninstall the 2012-4 they had and downloaded the new realease hooked it back up to my spyder wham 3 minutes later they were driving my bike out of the shop good as new.they asked how did i know about the update i said if you guys want to know everrything there is to know get on S.L.com this is the information hwy. to fixing problems. going to give the bike a good shake down today hope nothing goes wrong,i did notice 1 thing seems my bikes got alot more pep to it than before and it seems my gas milage is better.maybe t.b. was bad to begin with.just hope i don't need another one anytime soon.see you all at the big party:yes:

baldman902
04-21-2012, 11:28 PM
I just had the update done on my RTS and the digital fuel gauge went south. The dealer called BRP and they said it was the first they have heard about it. The dealer was told to take a new cluster and check the gauge and it worked, BRP authorized a new cluster to be installed. It will arrive Tues. Will let you know what happens.:(

I had to inform dealer about 2012-4 update. After he got it he reflashed the computer and now all is well. Thank you Lamonster:2thumbs:

decibel
05-02-2012, 08:37 PM
[
i have a 2011 rts bought last year
is this a recall for my spyder?

QUOTE=baldman902;443943]I had to inform dealer about 2012-4 update. After he got it he reflashed the computer and now all is well. Thank you Lamonster:2thumbs:[/QUOTE]

gypsy_100
05-03-2012, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE=decibel;448474][
i have a 2011 rts bought last year
is this a recall for my spyder?]

As Lamont posted it at the beginning of this thread, the 2012-4 is for all 2011's and 2012's. RT's only.

I have a 2011 RT-S and just had it done last week. All is well -- no problems. Ridden couple hundred miles since with no hiccups.

The dealer downloaded the latest software immediately before he did my bike. So it had to be 3.3.2 or something even later. He said BUDS told him to download the latest software before proceeding.