PDA

View Full Version : Weight Distribution/Trailering an RS

michigal
04-04-2012, 09:24 PM
I am sure this addressed somewhere in the owners manual, but I know someone here can answer this question sooner that I can find it in the manual.

We want to trailer my Spyder to Georgia and then ride the Florida coastline. What is the weight distribution on a Spyder? Is it heavier toward the front wheels, the back wheel or is the weight evenly distributed over the three wheels.

What I am trying to find out is if the Spyder should go on the trailer facing frontwards or backwards in order to get the correct weight on the trailer's tongue.

MarkLawson
04-04-2012, 09:35 PM
If in an enclosed trailer, forward or backward makes no difference. If on an open trailer, always load it facing forward unless you remove the windshield. Towing backwards on an open trailer can snap the windshield off.

I don't know the weight distribution between the front and rear wheels, but you'll have to experiment because you want the loaded trailer tongue weight to be about 15% of the loaded gross trailer weight.

Good luck!

michigal
04-04-2012, 09:42 PM
If in an enclosed trailer, forward or backward makes no difference. If on an open trailer, always load it facing forward unless you remove the windshield. Towing backwards on an open trailer can snap the windshield off.

I don't know the weight distribution between the front and rear wheels, but you'll have to experiment because you want the loaded trailer tongue weight to be about 15% of the loaded gross trailer weight.

Good luck!

Thanks, Mark, for the advice about the windshield. Neither hubby or I had thought about that!:bowdown:

NancysToy
04-04-2012, 10:17 PM
I don't remember the exact weight distribution, but the Spyder is heavier toward the front. I figured the center of mass to be just behind the front tires...about where the engine sits. I placed that spot forward of the trailer axle centerline enough to get my 10%-20% tongue weight. I never had to adjust the chocks, so it worked out fine.