PDA

View Full Version : Any scooter owners here? (Kymco, Genuine, Vespa)

daveinva
04-04-2012, 08:06 AM
The GF is sick and tired of being a passenger on my Spyder... I guess she's bored with how slow I ride when she's on board ;).

Anyway, she's taking her MSF next month, and after it cost her $75 to fill up her car with premium gas, she's invested in buying a scooter.

Her requirements are simple: something that can safely commute 55-65 mph on major roads but NOT highways (65 top speed would get you killed out here on the highway) so no 150s or below, but still be light enough for a beginner to handle and build confidence (i.e., no maxi-scooters to start).

Other wrinkle is that she's tall (5'10") so the scooter can't be too cramped.

Personally, I'm leaning towards a Taiwanese scooter for her-- we've got plenty of dealers for those around here vice the Vespas, plus they're cheaper. Of course, Vespas *are* Vespas, and they're generally far cuter, so I won't rule one out (the lady has a talent for getting what she wants :rolleyes:).

Anyway, anyone here have any direct experience with the following models, or can recommend something comparable:

Kymco Downtown 200i, People GT200i, Like 200i, Yager GT 200i... or my personal hope, a Genuine Blur 220i?

fastfraser
04-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Man I had a Piaggio 500 made by Vespa, 2 wheels in the front and will out lean most 2 wheelers ! The thing was a blast to ride and the beauty of it like our Spyders is you don't have to put your foot down when stopped or parked . The only draw back that I encountered was as any small bike the transports blew you around. I traded it in when I got my first Spyder .

daveinva
04-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Man I had a Piaggio 500 made by Vespa, 2 wheels in the front and will out lean most 2 wheelers ! The thing was a blast to ride and the beauty of it like our Spyders is you don't have to put your foot down when stopped or parked . The only draw back that I encountered was as any small bike the transports blew you around. I traded it in when I got my first Spyder .

*I* want an MP3, but I think she wants to go with a lighter scooter for her first year of riding. Fingers crossed for next year... :pray:

Bob Denman
04-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Convince her that the Piaggio is the right one; she'd never outgrow it and the quality makes it worth every penny... :thumbup:

napper39
04-04-2012, 10:31 AM
ive got a aprilia 500 ie and i love it,my wife loves it too.you can find some good deals on these the dealers still have 08 and 09 left overs fro around 4500 thats what we paid for ares a 08 brand new in the crate ,they put it together and away we went.fine bike check them out befor you buy.:2thumbs::chat:

Sarge707
04-04-2012, 12:10 PM
http://youtu.be/J8Rbnr88OPQ

The New Piaggio "Yourban" Said to be improved handling MP3 is nice BUT still abouy $7,000 like the MP3.:yikes:

Bob Denman
04-04-2012, 12:27 PM
:shocked: :thumbup: ...And I've got to believe that the quality control is way better than most of the alternatives coming from East Asia...

daveinva
04-04-2012, 01:01 PM
:shocked: :thumbup: ...And I've got to believe that the quality control is way better than most of the alternatives coming from East Asia...

Yeah, the MP3's are nice, but they *are* heavy for their size-- despite the confidence-boosting aspect of having two-wheels up front, I wouldn't call it a beginner's scooter.

As for quality, the MP3 is a bit finicky from everything I've read over the years. At that price point, that gives me hives (and *I* own a Spyder! :roflblack:)

RE: the East Asian scoots, I'd wouldn't buy a Chinese scooter for at least another 20 years, but Kymcos and Genuine (at least the ones built on Taiwan, and not outsourced to the mainland) are time-tested and pretty much bulletproof. They're not Vespa/Piaggio quality, but they're also not that price, either. They're basically the Hyundai of scooters; some people won't buy a Hyundai either, but in 2012 I'm not afraid of one like I would have been ten years ago.

I'm just hoping we find her a good one, seeing as it'll be my $$$ paying for the dang thing!

arntufun
04-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Piaggio makes a 250 cc MP3. That thing would easily do 70 MPH with me on it. Alot lighter than the 500cc everyone is talking about.

Like FastFraser, Holly had one prior to me trading it for the Spyder. Remember, it's safer than a regular scooter.

Bob Denman
04-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Randy,
I'm sorry; but I just don't see you and Nancy as having a future... :opps: :roflblack:

ARtraveler
04-04-2012, 04:25 PM
A little different point of view:

Recommend you consider buying bigger than you need. Most beginning riders think they have to start with the smallest and then work up. Six months of riding will make you hate the smaller bike because of its limitations.

I suggest getting something like the Suzuki Burgman. They will ride on the side roads but will also let you drive on the highways in comfort at 80 mph should you want to go that fast. They are pricey at about 10K--but not as pricey as the Spyder. Automatic transmission and as plush as a Spyder or Gold Wing.

They are a quality product. The club I rode with last year had two ladies on their Burgmans. They thought they were great, and no problems mechanically.

Pandy
04-04-2012, 06:48 PM
We started out on scooters and after many other two wheelers, the one that remained has been the 2006 Yamaha Morphous. My wife is not small anywhere and the 250cc gets her anywhere anytime she wants to go. They are no longer imported, but there are numerous examples with low mileage to be found. The Morphous has an identical drivetrain and chassis setup as a Majesty and Yamaha reliability. This scoot has been truly just the wear items to maintain.Just like my Majesty was. I must implore you, before setting anyone you love on a piece of Taiwanese **** (you think Spyders can be a headache) look into the Yamaha line.4333843339Oh, and I must add that unless you plan on becoming a master scooter mechanic, avoid the Piaggio or brethren like the plague. Oh and in the Burgman line, the 400cc version isn't so pricey and is a most viable chioce.

Most sincerely, Patrick

Blue Star
04-04-2012, 07:03 PM

Recommend you consider buying bigger than you need. Most beginning riders think they have to start with the smallest and then work up. Six months of riding will make you hate the smaller bike because of its limitations.

I suggest getting something like the Suzuki Burgman. They will ride on the side roads but will also let you drive on the highways in comfort at 80 mph should you want to go that fast. They are pricey at about 10K--but not as pricey as the Spyder. Automatic transmission and as plush as a Spyder or Gold Wing.

They are a quality product. The club I rode with last year had two ladies on their Burgmans. They thought they were great, and no problems mechanically.

:agree: Bought a Fly 150 for my wife, as she wanted to save money on gas. Her thinking was that since it was only 7 miles to work it was fine. Did not think about the lack of power on a busy part of the road she goes past to get to work. So scared of the lack of power that she won't ride it. In looking back, a big mistake getting it.

daveinva
04-04-2012, 07:34 PM

I get that, really I do. But a few issues there:

-- She sat on a Burgman last weekend and was shocked at how heavy it is. Now, it ain't heavy once you know how to ride, but again, she doesn't know how to ride yet.
-- We're not talking the LAST SCOOTER EVER, we're talking the first. If she only rides it for a few months and wants something bigger... no problemo, we'll sell it and buy something else. I'd rather lose a few hundred bucks and have developed a lifelong rider than lose thousands watching her get something that's so intimidating for her she never wants to ride again.
-- That said, we've ruled out 150s... the roads she has to ride, while not highways, aren't city streets, either, and she needs some more power out of them. In fact, even the 200s I listed I know aren't all that hot (the cc's lie, they're closer to 150s). If we can find something good in the 250 or 300 range that she feels comfortable on, all the better for it. I just don't think we can graduate yet to the 400-600 class right off the bat, I know how she is with these things.

But again, to everyone... appreciate the advice!

Sarge707
04-04-2012, 08:46 PM
We started out on scooters and after many other two wheelers, the one that remained has been the 2006 Yamaha Morphous. My wife is not small anywhere and the 250cc gets her anywhere anytime she wants to go. They are no longer imported, but there are numerous examples with low mileage to be found. The Morphous has an identical drivetrain and chassis setup as a Majesty and Yamaha reliability. This scoot has been truly just the wear items to maintain.Just like my Majesty was. I must implore you, before setting anyone you love on a piece of Taiwanese **** (you think Spyders can be a headache) look into the Yamaha line.4333843339Oh, and I must add that unless you plan on becoming a master scooter mechanic, avoid the Piaggio or brethren like the plague. Oh and in the Burgman line, the 400cc version isn't so pricey and is a most viable chioce.

Most sincerely, Patrick

Isn,t that the same as the Older Helix (Luxury Scooter) that many still love?

ARtraveler
04-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Daveinva: No problem with the issues. The Burgman 650 weighs in at about 750#. Seems real heavy until you start rolling. The weight can be intimidating though. Same problem with my Vulcan 2000cc--that was 965#. A bear to get off the sidestand and roll backwards etc. That one intimidated me so much I sold it after one year.

Burgman also makes a 450cc model--that might be worth looking at and come in as a "happy medium".

arntufun
04-05-2012, 04:07 AM
I get that, really I do. But a few issues there:

-- She sat on a Burgman last weekend and was shocked at how heavy it is. Now, it ain't heavy once you know how to ride, but again, she doesn't know how to ride yet.
-- We're not talking the LAST SCOOTER EVER, we're talking the first. If she only rides it for a few months and wants something bigger... no problemo, we'll sell it and buy something else. I'd rather lose a few hundred bucks and have developed a lifelong rider than lose thousands watching her get something that's so intimidating for her she never wants to ride again.
-- That said, we've ruled out 150s... the roads she has to ride, while not highways, aren't city streets, either, and she needs some more power out of them. In fact, even the 200s I listed I know aren't all that hot (the cc's lie, they're closer to 150s). If we can find something good in the 250 or 300 range that she feels comfortable on, all the better for it. I just don't think we can graduate yet to the 400-600 class right off the bat, I know how she is with these things.

But again, to everyone... appreciate the advice!

Do you know how a Piaggio MP3 works ???

The suspention locks (manually push button) so the bike never tips over under 5 MPH and unlocks when she hits the gas automaticly. If she wanted to, she would never have to put her feet down and ever feel the weight of the bike. Kind of like a Spyder at a stop light. Another great advantage is, you can MC licence test on it.

Like I said before, they make a 250cc.

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHERE THE CLOSEST DEALER TO FIX THESE ARE. Not because they are problematic, but in my area there are not to many.

Good luck to you in choosing a scooter that fits your needs whatever model you choose. :thumbup:

daveinva
04-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Do you know how a Piaggio MP3 works ???

Yup, sure do. :thumbup:

I also know that pretty much every new MP3 rider I've spoken to drops the dang thing at least once, if not multiple times, because they trust the wheels to lock at a stoplight but stupidly pressed the lock button over 5 mph and didn't realize it wasn't locked once they come to a stop. Timmmmmbbbber. Or, similarly, they *do* lock it, but lock it at a weird angle, and same result. That's why most owners recommend NOT using the tilt lock for a long time until they get used to the scoot, then ease into using the tilt lock with practice.

Meaning, at least in the beginning, she's going to have to be comfortable muscling the thing around at least a little bit. And even the 250 weighs 500 lbs (!)... and costs well over $5000 new (!!!).

Don't get me wrong, I like them a lot, and *she* likes them, but we both think that the MP3 is in the running for "next year's" scooter.

arntufun
04-05-2012, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE=daveinva;436149]Yup, sure do. :thumbup:

I also know that pretty much every new MP3 rider I've spoken to drops the dang thing at least once, if not multiple times, QUOTE]

You have no idea !!!!!!!! I took a 4 hour one way trip into New Jersey and pick up Hollys MP3 with 400 miles on it. I got it home and took it off the truck. I taught Holly all the controls and like you said, I left out the part about locking the steering so not to confuse her.

She got her Helmet on and was ready to take her first Virgin voyage. I assured her that I would be right there with her thinking she was going to go slow. Big mistake that was.

She hit the gas and took off like a rocket. She was going straight and I could not run as fast as she was going. She got to the end of our street hit the brake and over she went.

After catching up with her to see if she was ok and pick up the bike she started getting mad at me for not being there for her. I told her, I can't run 30MPH and I asked her what happened and she said..... I didn't know you had to put your feet down.

After a few more spills and countless emotional breakdown episodes, we decided that she is better off being a passenger than a driver. If it wasn't for these crashes I would have never been able to get a Spyder. The rest is history.

We will get another Spyder one day and we will try again with this learning process. I will have better results teaching her on a Spyder because what feared Holly the most was falling over, and with the SE5 it will be even easier to teach her.

daveinva
04-05-2012, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=daveinva;436149]Yup, sure do. :thumbup:

I also know that pretty much every new MP3 rider I've spoken to drops the dang thing at least once, if not multiple times, QUOTE]

You have no idea !!!!!!!! I took a 4 hour one way trip into New Jersey and pick up Hollys MP3 with 400 miles on it. I got it home and took it off the truck. I taught Holly all the controls and like you said, I left out the part about locking the steering so not to confuse her.

She got her Helmet on and was ready to take her first Virgin voyage. I assured her that I would be right there with her thinking she was going to go slow. Big mistake that was.

She hit the gas and took off like a rocket. She was going straight and I could not run as fast as she was going. She got to the end of our street hit the brake and over she went.

After catching up with her to see if she was ok and pick up the bike she started getting mad at me for not being there for her. I told her, I can't run 30MPH and I asked her what happened and she said..... I didn't know you had to put your feet down.

After a few more spills and countless emotional breakdown episodes, we decided that she is better off being a passenger than a driver. If it wasn't for these crashes I would have never been able to get a Spyder. The rest is history.

We will get another Spyder one day and we will try again with this learning process. I will have better results teaching her on a Spyder because what feared Holly the most was falling over, and with the SE5 it will be even easier to teach her.

:shocked::yikes: :roflblack:

I'm sure SWMBO will do the exact same thing on whichever scoot she gets!

See, the horns of MY dilemma is that I'm actually looking forward to lending her my Spyder once she gets her license. While it's obviously not a two-wheeler, I figure that it's a great way for her to build confidence in traffic. Kind of a "logical progression" vehicle: ride something without a clutch that you can't drop in traffic, then ride something without a clutch that you CAN drop in traffic, then maybe graduate to the full-blown motorcycle.

Of course, this is the plan. Realistically, I see one of three things happening:
1. She takes to the MSF course like a fish to water and LOVES riding two wheels, so much so that the scooter bores her and she wants a fully-dressed HD by mid-summer;
2. She barely makes it through the MSF course all rattled, never quite feels safe on the road riding herself, and chooses to remain a passenger;
3. She does well enough on the MSF and likes the scooter but it turns out she REALLY wants a Spyder. :thumbup:

I'd love #1, #2 is okay but that's why I'm shopping for an easy scoot instead of a loaded one or a bike, and #3 is the worst of all worlds, as I'd have created a monster we can't afford (don't have the $$$ to be a two-Spyder household right now... which would leave me hearing her moan and beg for one for who-knows how long! :banghead:).

granpa in Cincy
04-05-2012, 10:48 AM
You could give her the spyder and you ride the scooter.

Bob Denman
04-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Now that's just mean! :lecturef_smilie: :roflblack:

Dave,
After following this thread I now see where you're coming from and where you're trying to go... :thumbup: Makes good sense now!
Randy,
Holly's gonna want an RT SE5... :roflblack:

daveinva
04-05-2012, 11:07 AM
You could give her the spyder and you ride the scooter.

Now, you shut your mouth! :joke:

Actually, I probably *will* do that on some days, my commute is shorter, the Spyder barely warms up by the time I park it. But that makes the decision more problematic, as I *would* buy a different scooter than she's interested in (I'd totally be all over an MP3 if this were going to be my ride most of the time-- what can I say, I'm a reverse trike guy!).

Anyway, if I can ever make the budget stretch, I'd love to get a Spyder RT for myself and give her the RS if she'd have it. We'll see...

ARtraveler
04-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Newbie question here. What does SWMBO mean?

boborgera
04-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Newbie question here. What does SWMBO mean?

She Who Must Be Obeyed!

staysafeonline
04-05-2012, 01:43 PM

I can't offer ANY advice on the scooter thing. When I took the MSF course, i felt like those bikes where SUPER heavy when I first sat on them and was scared about being able to handle the eight (it was little 250cc Suzuki or something so not heavy). As I progressed through the class, it became obvious to me that the bike feels much heavier when sitting still and/or going slow then when running at speed (whopping 20-25 in the class) and after a while I felt totally comfortable. (Though I am feeling like a whimp for admitting this on this forum).

Anyway, my thought as I read through this. WAIT until after she takes the course before you let the "heavy" thing scare her off too much. Let her get her real world experience with 2 wheels and then make the decision. Doesn't exactly get her riding right after the course, but aleast then you aren't buying something that she thinks is too "heavy" without having any real world experience.

(obviously I am assuming she has never piloted a bike on her own - if that assumption is wrong, disregard this post! Assumptions can certainly cause :banghead:)

Bob Denman
04-05-2012, 02:01 PM
She Who Must Be Obeyed!

:yikes:
:shocked::bowdown:
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

daveinva
04-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Meet the new addition to the driveway...

2008 Vespa GST 250ie, 5K miles... bought it for $4100 OTD this morning at Motostrada up in Baltimore.

Bad news is that the price reflected the state of the scooter: it was a repairable salvage title. The good news is, all that was damaged on it was the front forks and panels-- Motostrada replaced the forks and damaged panels, added new Michelins, and gave the bike a brand-new coat of paint.

Out the door price included adding a SHAD top box. Definitely PLENTY higher than I would have paid a private seller with a salvage title, but I trust Motostrada's work in this regard (I've had friends use them for repairs, nothing but adoration-- they love restoring their scooters).

Plus, their sales guy (Mark) is among the best salesmen I've ever dealt with: polite, super-helpful and knowledgeable, and willing to work with you on anything-- I pestered him for two weeks via email and he was always happy to help answer my ten thousand questions. :firstplace:

I just wish they were close enough to me to use for service. (Oh, and my Spyder dealer was even HALF as nice to deal with :mad:).

Anyway, the most important thing? The GF loves it. It's a 250 so it'll keep up on any road she's going to ride, it's light enough with a low COG that she's not intimidated by it at all, and she just can't wait until her MSF course in two weeks (now.... I just hope she passes with flying colors :pray:, or else I've got myself a scooter for MY commute :shocked:).

Her only gripe? She wanted a different color (they had a beautiful new white GTS 300 there she was salivating over until I showed her the $6100 sticker). I told her that hey, *I* wanted a different *Spyder* color, too, but I made do with the silver Spyder, she can make do with the silver Vespa.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice, really appreciate it. I can't wait myself to, ummm... borrow the scoot when she's not looking. :doorag:

Bob Denman
04-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Congratulations on finding her a ride! :2thumbs::ohyea::firstplace: