PDA

View Full Version : L-1 Para just bought my 09 Spyder

CantWalk:)
04-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Went and picked her up last week, it was kind of awkward that it was sitting right next to a YZ450F dirt bike though (that’s what I was on when I was paralyzed 7 years ago) :)

Finished the Hand brake and put on some floor boards and will start the fab work on the wheelchair mount for a non folding chair off the back this weekend. I'll be sure to post pictures along the way.

Also its the black and silver one but I may be swapping out the body panels for the Flat Black so my body is for sale, the bike not me :)

Any thing I should know about my 09?
So excited to be in the wind again
Tyler

8LEGS
04-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Congratulations :yes:on your new spyder!!!

murphybrown
04-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Congrats wind in face nothing better..:yes::yes:

markjperry
04-03-2012, 04:37 PM
That's great. You will love it. Not sure if you are complete or incomplete . I had a fancan from ISCI installed to keep the heat off my right leg. Also had the header pipe wrapped to lower the heat near the feet. I also added handlebar risers for better seated position. I also have a Corbin seat with backrest and gas cap flap so I do not have to get off to fill up. Just make sure you are safe and comfortable.
Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Good luck and have a GREAT time

Mark

Lamonster
04-03-2012, 05:21 PM
:congrats:an :welcome:Glad to have you with us :doorag:

Hawk Eye
04-03-2012, 05:28 PM
:congrats: & :welcome: It just gets better & better.

Hawk Eye:yes: :yes: :doorag: :doorag:

kawakii
04-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Congrats :) Sounds like your well on your way to making the Spyder work for you ! We have a non-folding wheelchair rack that works great for the Spyder and still allows you to carry a passenger. I use a Ti-Lite ZR for a chair. We orginally bought a rack for Dave at Rackiton.com but eventually made modifications and rebuilt with some stronger welding. Dave still sells his rack I believe but expensive for what it is but you might want to take a look at his website for some pictures.

If I can be of any help let me know :)

jvicker
04-04-2012, 10:50 AM
:congrats::welcome: you've come to the right place.

Great to see the Spyder help get someone back on the road.:doorag:

SirChesteter69
04-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Hi, was just wondering how difficult and expensive it is to convert the spyder with hand brake, footrests, and rack for wheelchair? I am very interested in purchasing one but need more input. I use a rigid non folding chair and not sure tht will work without assistance. I would rather not require assistance if possible. Thanks for any input or pictures you may have. My email is rcoxlxix@aol.com

Went and picked her up last week, it was kind of awkward that it was sitting right next to a YZ450F dirt bike though (that’s what I was on when I was paralyzed 7 years ago) :)

Finished the Hand brake and put on some floor boards and will start the fab work on the wheelchair mount for a non folding chair off the back this weekend. I'll be sure to post pictures along the way.

Also its the black and silver one but I may be swapping out the body panels for the Flat Black so my body is for sale, the bike not me :)

Any thing I should know about my 09?
So excited to be in the wind again
Tyler

SPYD1
04-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Congrats and way to go.

CyncySpyder
04-25-2012, 08:31 PM
:congrats: & :welcome:

SXSMachine
04-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Obviously we cant ride a normal motor bi-wheel motorbike so the three wheel bikes are the way to go in most places although you can go four in some US states, most of Asia and Europe.

How does the rigid stance of the spider suit you. Is it something you have had to overcome even if slightly or is it immediately comfortable to you with the extra lateral forces? Do you adjust your cornering speeds to compensate for the lateral forces or would you like to go harder?

kawakii
04-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Hi, was just wondering how difficult and expensive it is to convert the spyder with hand brake, footrests, and rack for wheelchair? I am very interested in purchasing one but need more input. I use a rigid non folding chair and not sure tht will work without assistance. I would rather not require assistance if possible. Thanks for any input or pictures you may have. My email is rcoxlxix@aol.com

Sent you an e-mail.

CantWalk:)
05-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Obviously we cant ride a normal motor bi-wheel motorbike so the three wheel bikes are the way to go in most places although you can go four in some US states, most of Asia and Europe.

How does the rigid stance of the spider suit you. Is it something you have had to overcome even if slightly or is it immediately comfortable to you with the extra lateral forces? Do you adjust your cornering speeds to compensate for the lateral forces or would you like to go harder?

I have always been into racing and I feel that its exactly like riding a 4 wheeler, except you can’t slide the rear cause you’re not on dirt. You have to slow down in the corners since the bike doesn’t lean. And with the decreased stability due to my injury maybe a little more, but my girl still screams and hits me in the helmet so it must do alright?

SXSMachine
05-01-2012, 06:21 PM
I have always been into racing and I feel that its exactly like riding a 4 wheeler, except you can’t slide the rear cause you’re not on dirt. You have to slow down in the corners since the bike doesn’t lean. And with the decreased stability due to my injury maybe a little more, but my girl still screams and hits me in the helmet so it must do alright?

Right on brother!! :yikes::yikes: :yes: :spyder2::spyder2:

SethO
05-02-2012, 12:07 AM

about 2k more on top of the cost of a se spyder, that would be with a ISCI handbrake and floorboards, there is really no other way to go if you want to ride faster than basic screw around, I have 69k for miles on my spyder and have best the **** out of my isci stuff and it holds up.

I ride everyday and have several videos on youtube of what can be done, Trailerrailer is my name on youtube. I can't feel anything below my chest and I have a rigid frame T7 chair, which upgraded suspension (buy Elka's) I can do over double the posted speed guidelines. It is ALOT more physical riding compared to motorcycle stuff and you have less to work with but it can be done.

SXSMachine
05-02-2012, 12:49 AM
about 2k more on top of the cost of a se spyder, that would be with a ISCI handbrake and floorboards, there is really no other way to go if you want to ride faster than basic screw around, I have 69k for miles on my spyder and have best the **** out of my isci stuff and it holds up.

I ride everyday and have several videos on youtube of what can be done, Trailerrailer is my name on youtube. I can't feel anything below my chest and I have a rigid frame T7 chair, which upgraded suspension (buy Elka's) I can do over double the posted speed guidelines. It is ALOT more physical riding compared to motorcycle stuff and you have less to work with but it can be done.

Certainly should NOT have made such an absolute statement as I have seen para ride MX and a full dual hip level amputee riding a race MC Quad faster than I have ever done or will. And as a fellow enabled rider should know the ONLY absolute is that you cannot speak in absolutes about individuals with motivation, determination, ideas and approach. :opps:

Good to see people still WINNING!! And not Charlie Sheen style (well not always, a few drunken orgies never hurt did they?? I wouldn't know...lol :yes: )

SethO
05-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Certainly should NOT have made such an absolute statement as I have seen para ride MX and a full dual hip level amputee riding a race MC Quad faster than I have ever done or will. And as a fellow enabled rider should know the ONLY absolute is that you cannot speak in absolutes about individuals with motivation, determination, ideas and approach. :opps:

Good to see people still WINNING!! And not Charlie Sheen style (well not always, a few drunken orgies never hurt did they?? I wouldn't know...lol :yes: )

you lost me here chief, "never believe someone who speaks in absolutes" is what I tell people.

ISCI, there is really no other option in handbrakes, to go fast you have to be able to stop fast and keep the tires on the ground which where elkas come into play.

As far as riding goes if you think I am bull****ting you on how much I ride then you have not been on here enough.

What was the absolute statement you are talking about? Riding is the only thing that matters, trigger time. If you want the best bang for the buck, spyders are the way to go.

Also I have seen? I heard in the bar, my friend said or I heard on the interweb are all vast secondaries to DOING.

SXSMachine
05-02-2012, 02:42 PM
you lost me here chief, "never believe someone who speaks in absolutes" is what I tell people.

ISCI, there is really no other option in handbrakes, to go fast you have to be able to stop fast and keep the tires on the ground which where elkas come into play.

As far as riding goes if you think I am bull****ting you on how much I ride then you have not been on here enough.

What was the absolute statement you are talking about? Riding is the only thing that matters, trigger time. If you want the best bang for the buck, spyders are the way to go.

Also I have seen? I heard in the bar, my friend said or I heard on the interweb are all vast secondaries to DOING.

Dude believe me you have taken my post completely the wrong way I am being very sincere when I say I'm glad to see people winning, doing the things the want to do and that I shouldn't speak in absolutes about the willpower of the individual. That is who I am 100% sincere, if I thought it was BS believe me I wouldn;t skirt it but you can take my statement as written that I was apologising for speaking in absolutes and the you do have my cudo's.

Ive done my share of doing, I am transitioning to doing this and it will take its time because I have to do it through the government approval process while I make a bike to my liking and capabilities, so I am doing myself just getting there.

So no need to be offended or think I am criticising, far from its written as a compliment and do take it as one.

SethO
05-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Dude believe me you have taken my post completely the wrong way I am being very sincere when I say I'm glad to see people winning, doing the things the want to do and that I shouldn't speak in absolutes about the willpower of the individual. That is who I am 100% sincere, if I thought it was BS believe me I wouldn;t skirt it but you can take my statement as written that I was apologising for speaking in absolutes and the you do have my cudo's.

Ive done my share of doing, I am transitioning to doing this and it will take its time because I have to do it through the government approval process while I make a bike to my liking and capabilities, so I am doing myself just getting there.

So no need to be offended or think I am criticising, far from its written as a compliment and do take it as one.

I'm not offended friend, I just want to make sure that people know that I don't post about stuff I not done unless I put that in there. I would like handicrapped people to not make the same mistakes I did setting them up, it's expensive just being hurt, let alone trying to do human stuff once again.

The other issue for people with spinal cord injuries is that you have to use a airhawk pad and I cut out the foam in the seat where it goes because without doing that it puts you in too high of a riding position.

I would love to meet someone who has more miles on their spyder with is also smashed up because I could pick their brains on what else they did to make it a better daily driver. Plus I could race against someone else and learn how to be faster.

SpyderGirl
05-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Congrats on your purchase! I agree, ISCI is hands-down the best way to go as far as the hand brake is concerned. They make top quality stuff and have some fantastic people working for them (Billy and Jeff).

canchess
05-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Hows the spyder coming? I have an 09 with the phantom black body as well. ISCS is where to get your handbrake. You will need floorboards and i swapped out the stock handlebars for ones with a 7 inch pull (so your not bent over riding) ISCS has them as well. A corbin seat is also the way to go i think (you may not need a back rest) Im a t4/5. The corbin seat now has a cut out for the fuel cap! I have to fill little cans and keep them in the garage:( They came out with the cut model AFTER! story of my life! Some more lights would be good too for visibility --Custom Dynamics has it ALL. I have a rackiton. I carry a rigid chair. I do need someone to put it on and off (so what) what ev, lol. I would like independence with that though. Enjoy, let me know whats up.
Canchess:doorag:

racketdave
05-22-2012, 03:06 PM
hi my name is david biseli i have website for racks it is a patented rack ,have footrests too ,have new and some used for sale . brake isci tell them in wheelchair price break . call me cell 727-642-8536