PDA

View Full Version : General Maintenence

Kimber45
04-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Greetings! I don't think that checking oil and other "owner serviceable" duties should need to be done by the dealer.
All I want to do is check all fluid levels and change oil, oil filter and air filter on my own. How ever, as simple a task
this may be, the owner manual is very vague. I have no idea where these Gromets are in order to "pull" them out
at the right spot to remove the middle panel. Could some one please instruct me as to exactly how to do simple
maintenence? I have done my own repairs on all my vehicles and am literate in mechanics, but this one is kicking
my buttocks because I do not want to brake anything. Thanks for any feeds I can get. It's just gotta be simple, right? lol

freebob
04-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Greetings! I don't think that checking oil and other "owner serviceable" duties should need to be done by the dealer.
All I want to do is check all fluid levels and change oil, oil filter and air filter on my own. How ever, as simple a task
this may be, the owner manual is very vague. I have no idea where these Gromets are in order to "pull" them out
at the right spot to remove the middle panel. Could some one please instruct me as to exactly how to do simple
maintenence? I have done my own repairs on all my vehicles and am literate in mechanics, but this one is kicking
my buttocks because I do not want to brake anything. Thanks for any feeds I can get. It's just gotta be simple, right? lol

You might want to get yourself a Service/Shop Manual, readily avail on E:Bay and check out the ( How To) Section in this forum....Start off easy by removing a few panels and getting familiar with your SPYDER...Your first step is the first bolt or panel you remove....Good Luck and Happy Riding....

Freebob...:doorag:

coz
04-02-2012, 06:58 PM
welcome to the site .just check out arntufun's video series on most of the basic maintenance procedures. they're good.:thumbup:

fastfraser
04-02-2012, 07:24 PM
:welcome: There are a lot more panels come off for an oil change then the one that you are talking about and since you mentioned gromets assume you have an RT. It would definitely be worth your while to get a service Manuel that will guide you through most any problem you will encounter on your Spyder .

BLUEKNIGHT911
04-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Welcome Aboard, now the fun begins...Mike:agree: I have a G/S and like to check my oil, i found it to be a real pain in the a** to remove the panel all the time so I took the black plastic fake screen off....now i check the oil really easy......also the air filter needs no real maintenance.....if you get a K&N replacement you will never have to look at it again, unless you live in the desert or some other very dusty place.....ENJOY.....:thumbup:

NancysToy
04-02-2012, 10:30 PM
What kind of a dealer sells you a Spyder and doesn't show you how to check the oil? :yikes: Grasp the front side of the middle panel and carefully wiggle it out of the grommets (the recent Spyders don't have the front hook, I believe), then release the rear grommet and the top rear hook. Just wiggle and pull gently and the studs will slide out of the grommets. Installation is the reverse procedure. I wiggle the panel to made sure no grommet has been pushed through. If you wiggle before you remove it, you will knowhow it is supposed to be. If there is very much play, the grommet may have pushed through. Some water or spit on the studs or grommets helps reinstallation. Once you get off the middle panel, you should have an idea how the grommets work. Beyond that, follow the directions in the manual.

SpyderAnn01
04-02-2012, 10:48 PM
I bought my Rt used so I was also afraid that I was going to break something when I wanted to check the oil. I took it to my dealer and had them show me how to pull of the panel. Follow Scotty's (Nancystoy) instructions and you'll be fine. Also, as others have said get yourself a service manual. I think that Lamont posted a video on how to remove all the panels from the RT.

partzman
04-03-2012, 04:13 PM
What part of Utah are you in? You can find about all the info you need here or Can-am's home site . You can download a service manual, but I can't remember the name. Do a search, I know I found it here.

Dudley
04-03-2012, 07:11 PM
:welcome: There are a lot more panels come off for an oil change then the one that you are talking about and since you mentioned gromets assume you have an RT. It would definitely be worth your while to get a service Manuel that will guide you through most any problem you will encounter on your Spyder .

I do my oil change with only one long silver and the black "kick" panel to remove, plus the plate under the engine, plus the one you remove to check the oil.

SpyderLady
04-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Omg, you mean I have to check the oil!!!

Bob Denman
04-04-2012, 06:35 AM
:welcome:
Thoe owner's manual actually does a pretty decent job of describing the removal of all of the "Tupperware"... Even I got through it! :opps:
A shop manual will take you to the next level... :thumbup:

Desert Spyder
04-04-2012, 06:49 AM
From what I hear from my mechanic, the sequence has changed from 2010-2012 as to which panels to remove in which order. That must be real frustrating. Maybe the panels should be labeled 1, 2, 3 etc like putting together a model.

zrc
04-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Omg, you mean I have to check the oil!!!

Wait... You're saying we have oil in our spyders, so I dont change out the Jager every 3k miles?? :joke:

Bob Denman
04-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Oh! By the way...
KIMBER45? Gotta be a sidearm story hiding in there somewhere... :thumbup:

SpyderLady
04-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Wait... You're saying we have oil in our spyders, so I dont change out the Jager every 3k miles?? :joke:

If it were jägermeister it would not be in my bike!!