PDA

View Full Version : Any Tenn. / North Carolina Riders Familiar with NC 105?

SilverSurfer
04-02-2012, 04:00 PM
I'd appreciate getting some NC/TN riders' feedback on this:

In late June, I'll be leading a few Spyders down to attend TrikeTalk.com's "Rally in the Valley," in Maggie Valley, NC (June 21-24). I've made the trip down to this region, between Gatlinburg and MV twice in the past. One of my preferences is to stay more 'rustic' than to plod down Interstates 81 and 40 to be pounded by broken air, trucks and blah blah blah.

So for this upcoming trip, I'm going to lead my arachnids (Day 1) down US 15/29 (Maryland/VA), then head down US 221 (Day 2) from south of Roanoke, VA to Boone, NC ... and then on to Maggie Valley. Lots of nice open highway, rural scenery ... nice.

Here's my internal debate:

Option 1: South of Boone, NC, we can continue south on 221 then Join 19E toward Ashville. Now, I happened to enjoy a YouTube vid of a bunch o' Miatas heading south on US 221 from Boone. Wow! :yikes: It looked as, if not more, technical than The Dragon, plus longer. Ya know, one of those "don't sight-see here" experiences ... one of those "keep-a-ya eyes on da'road" experiences. Not that we don't like that ... the concern here is that my crew will be riding about a 305-mile Day2. We're going to have ample Dragon/Cherohala Skyway and twisty time at the Rally. So, given we'll have already done a couple hundred miles, I was concerned about fatigue by the time we enter the US 221 twisties.

Option 2: Also south of Boone, NC, we can also jig over to NC 105. It appears to follow lower ground and is a straighter road, which then re-joins 221 south of the twisties, then on to 19E. Probably still picturesque but a bit easier on the twisties.

Question: I can't find any commentary on the quality of this road (NC 105) south of Boone. Has anyone ever ridden or driven it? What is the road's condition and ride-ability? Again, I'm just trying to find out about NC 105 as a viable route south of Boone and and what we can expect by taking that route, vs. NC 221.

Many thanx!

Paul
~Surfer

Ltownblue
04-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Hi Paul,

I would go with option 1. Highway 221 is a beautiful (yet twisty) ride that will take you south of Boone and by Grandfather Mountain. I realize that you and your arachnid friends may be a little frazzled by the time you make it to this point, but 221 is so much fun that I would not recommend that you opt away from it. You can hop back on the Blue Ridge Parkway at Grandfather and have a more leisurely stroll from there if you like. For future help, you may want to go here: http://americaridesmaps.com/ for help in finding some of the best motorcycle roads in North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee. I have used these maps for the past couple of years, and they are the best investment, for the money, that I have made since purchasing my Spyder. Here's a pic of from 221 from under the Viaduct on the BRP from December of this year: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38862&d=1325465746

Best,

blue

Btw, 105 is a nice road, but it doesn't compare to 221 - especially if you like a little excitement in your ryding!

SilverSurfer
04-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Hi Paul,

I would go with option 1. Highway 221 is a beautiful (yet twisty) ride that will take you south of Boone and by Grandfather Mountain. I realize that you and your arachnid friends may be a little frazzled by the time you make it to this point, but 221 is so much fun that I would not recommend that you opt away from it ...

Best,

blue

Btw, 105 is a nice road, but it doesn't compare to 221 - especially if you like a little excitement in your ryding!

Blue ... Thanks so much for your response. Now of course, we're not shy of an exciting, fun ride. A lot will depend on weather, the time and just 'how we feel' by the time we hit Boone. Then we make a decision, and your feedback enables us to make an educated one. I wanted to make sure NC105 wasn't some piece of miserable, backed up state highway.

I can tell from the vids and pics I've seen that US 221 could rival The Dragon in many respects. A Miata vid I've seen made my head dizzy just to sit still and watch it. I want to ride this road at some point. "Problem" is, there are so many neat roads down there that one can never do them all in one trip. Our Day 2 objective is to get down to Maggie Valley for the Trike Rally (you should come), and if the 18 miles of US 221 fit into our schedule, we'll do it. If not, it'll be on my next trip would tie in nicely with the Diamondback, Little Switzerland, etc.

Again, thanks for your feedback

~ Surfer

Ltownblue
04-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Blue ... Thanks so much for your response. Now of course, we're not shy of an exciting, fun ride. A lot will depend on weather, the time and just 'how we feel' by the time we hit Boone. Then we make a decision, and your feedback enables us to make an educated one. I wanted to make sure NC105 wasn't some piece of miserable, backed up state highway.

I can tell from the vids and pics I've seen that US 221 could rival The Dragon in many respects. A Miata vid I've seen made my head dizzy just to sit still and watch it. I want to ride this road at some point. "Problem" is, there are so many neat roads down there that one can never do them all in one trip. Our Day 2 objective is to get down to Maggie Valley for the Trike Rally (you should come), and if the 18 miles of US 221 fit into our schedule, we'll do it. If not, it'll be on my next trip would tie in nicely with the Diamondback, Little Switzerland, etc.

Again, thanks for your feedback

~ Surfer

You're very welcome Paul. I understand your situation. NC 105 is a good road, just not known as an exciting one. There are a lot of excellent roads around Little Switzerland and around Boone that are very worthwhile. The Diamondback (226A) is great and very well known among motorcyclists and sports car enthusiasts. Another road very close to that one is Hwy 80 - also known as the Devil's Whip (formerly the Devil's Staircase). Double Island is another hidden gem. I've ridden and taken video on these roads and a few others close by. If you're interested, do a Youtube search for my channel - Ltownblue. The vids will give you an idea of some of the little treasures in this neck of the woods.
The Mrs. and I are considering going to Durango in June. If that happens then we probably won't be able to go to Maggie Valley. Thanks for the invitation - I will let you know.
best,
blue