PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE help me come home!

Catniption
04-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Okay folks, I've been in NM for 6 whole months and it still stinks! I have decided this was a stupid decision even if my job does pay well. So, If anyone knows of work in my beloved NC or the beach area of SC, I would appreciate the information.

I never knew it was possible to go into green withdrawals... but it has happened! Every darn thing is brown out here!:banghead:

Pennyrick
04-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Wow.

We've lived in twelve states... New Mexico was our favorite.

Trees, lakes, rivers, mountains, deserts, great food, gorgeous sunsets, history you can see and feel, four full seasons and best of all...

No traffic!!

Land of enchantment says it all.

MarkLawson
04-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Wow.

We've lived in twelve states... New Mexico was our favorite.

Trees, lakes, rivers, mountains, deserts, great food, gorgeous sunsets, history you can see and feel, four full seasons and best of all...

No traffic!!

Land of enchantment says it all.

I agree. Would love to retire there someday. I like being able to see more than 20 feet when I look out from the road. Get tired of only seeing trees...

Buttsy
04-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Can't dump on New Mexico never been there, but leaving North or South Carolina what the heck were you thinkin?:shocked:

ARtraveler
04-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Sorry to hear you are not likeing NM. Hope you have a successful search for another job.

SpyderAnn01
04-02-2012, 01:25 PM
To me I am home anywhere as long as I have Joe and my dogs. I have lived in places that I really liked and left for places I didn't like as well but you need to try to make the best of it. If you spend all of your time pining for the Carolinas you will never be happy. Focus on the positives that NM has to offer. Number 1 to me would be the lack of humidity.

NancysToy
04-02-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm with you, Catniption. If you come from the forests it is hard to get used to the arid or open regions. I hope you find what you need to cure your homesickness. :pray:

ThreeFeet
04-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Story in my family was abut my Great Grandmother (or there abouts) would sit on the front porch in her rocker and say over and over again " OH FOR THE HILLS OF OHIO!!!" She was in Kansas!!! Soo sounds like you are saying about the same thing??? Go NORTH young person!!! there''s HILLS there!!nojoke

Catniption
04-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Double Trouble, you must have found the nice part of NM. I haven't found it. I live in Albuquerque and it takes me 30 to 45 minutes to drive 14 miles to work. There isn't a lake for miles and I don't like red or green chili. I must admit, Sante Fe is outstanding, but I think I would rather just come visit from Carolina. It's been a bit of a culture shock too.

I do recommend anyone to come for a visit. The history and sunsets are amazing. I keep hoping the summer will make me feel better, but I'm also darn near vampire white so I'm either gonna buy stock in SPF 100 products or stay perpetually burned.

I miss my family even more than the trees of NC, which makes it that much tougher.:(

SpyderMeLucky
04-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Moving away from family, friends and your home land (where you lived) is one of the hardest things you will ever experience in life. It takes about 2 years to feel comfortable in your new land and get over the grief of leaving your home.

I understand you homesickness especially going from the green, green, green of the Carolinas to the arid land of the desert. BUT there is a beautiful thing about the brown that gets into your blood. Before you know it, you'll love it.

Can you stay at your job for another year? Or are wanting out as soon as you can find other employment? There's no blame in wanting to go home. Some people prefer the green over the brown and visa versa. I sincerely wish you the best in whatever decision you make.

My opinion is I believe we have the best country because we have deserts, mountains, tropical islands, rolling hills, clear lakes, muddy waters, the Black Hills, the Grand Canyon, and on and on!! And everyone of us has a preference of where we want to live and where we will bloom as individuals.

Good luck to you.

staysafeonline
04-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Okay folks, I've been in NM for 6 whole months and it still stinks! I have decided this was a stupid decision even if my job does pay well. So, If anyone knows of work in my beloved NC or the beach area of SC, I would appreciate the information.

I never knew it was possible to go into green withdrawals... but it has happened! Every darn thing is brown out here!:banghead:

The one thing you shouldn't miss in NC is the pollen -- you know the yellow haze clouds that we get in March? Think we are through those at this point for this year.

What do you do??

KipDM
04-02-2012, 06:44 PM
depending on your specialty i know LabCorp in RTP, NC is hiring (several websites you can check for jobs with hem).

bruiser
04-02-2012, 07:10 PM
I was stationed in southern NM (Alamogordo) from '69 to '74. I spent as much time as I could in the mountains, camping, fishing, hiking, motorcycling, horseback riding, skiing, hunting. I do miss it. In fact, one of our chaplains has orders for Holloman. Northern NM has Sante Fe and Sante Fe and ... But yes, there's nothing finer than Carolina in the mornin' Good luck Cat, hope to see you back home soon. Like the song says, the cat came back ;)

Catniption
04-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Yet another reason to love the Carolinas... the people! Thank you all so much for your encouragement and stories. I'm really trying to make the best of it out here and there is a ton of beauty. I guess NC just spoiled me!

I went to the bio-park last weekend and they have a huge greenhouse for flowers and plants. Of course it was incredibly humid and hot, and I sat down on one of the benches. My friend said, "Seriously? You want to sit in here?" I turned around and said, "Yes I do, this feels like home!" Unfortunately, it would be too expensive to buy tickets to the bio-park every week for my "fix". I am not; however, missing the mosquitoes! I'll take the yellow pollen haze over the constant dirt filled air out here. Honestly, there is so much dirt in the air that when it does sprinkle, it rains mud. Not kidding!

Of course, as long as I am here, you guys always have a place to stay if you should come this way!

As for what I do, I am a configuration management Bill of Material analyst... a big long way of saying I make parts lists from engineering drawings for manufacturing and purchasing. I use the SAP computer system as well as a little Teamcenter.

NancysToy
04-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Ahhh! There's nothing quite like a little greenhouse therapy. I managed a botanical greenhouse when I was in grad school, at the college. There is nothing I know that can replace that warmth and humidity to make you feel better. A little sunshine through the glass does wonders, too. Maybe you can get a long-term membership so you can go more often. Lots of botanical gardens offer such things. Glad you found a diversion. :D

Pennyrick
04-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Double Trouble, you must have found the nice part of NM. I haven't found it. I live in Albuquerque and it takes me 30 to 45 minutes to drive 14 miles to work. There isn't a lake for miles and I don't like red or green chili. I must admit, Sante Fe is outstanding, but I think I would rather just come visit from Carolina. It's been a bit of a culture shock too.

I do recommend anyone to come for a visit. The history and sunsets are amazing. I keep hoping the summer will make me feel better, but I'm also darn near vampire white so I'm either gonna buy stock in SPF 100 products or stay perpetually burned.

I miss my family even more than the trees of NC, which makes it that much tougher.:(

Catniption: We lived in Rio Rancho where I ran a small company. We tried to see as much of the state as we could because we knew our stay would be short (my employer had a habit of moving us every other year or so). We loved visiting Santa Fe, Taos, Bandolier, Chaco Canyon, and all the Anasazi ruins.... lots of green trees up north in Rio Arriba, Carson National Forest as well as down south in Cibola National Forest, and over towards Ruidoso near Lincoln National Forest plus all the cottonwoods along the Rio Grande.
Love your job description. One of my first jobs was at International Harvester, using engineering drawings of diesel trucks and writing parts lists, operators and owner's manuals from them. I was just called a specification writer back in those days. Hang in there... the Georgia/Carolina mountains are our second favorite place.

Pennyrick
04-03-2012, 11:33 AM

Catniption: We lived in Rio Rancho where I ran a small company. We tried to see as much of the state as we could because we knew our stay would be short (my employer had a habit of moving us every other year or so). We loved visiting Santa Fe, Taos, Bandolier, Chaco Canyon, and all the Anasazi ruins.... lots of green trees up north in Rio Arriba, Carson National Forest as well as down south in Cibola National Forest, and over towards Ruidoso near Lincoln National Forest plus all the cottonwoods along the Rio Grande.
Love your job description. One of my first jobs was at International Harvester, using engineering drawings of diesel trucks and writing parts lists, operators and owner's manuals from them. I was just called a specification writer back in those days. Hang in there... the Georgia/Carolina mountains are our second favorite place.

SpyderDuck
04-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Double, I just gotta ask - on your map, you've been all around, almost everywhere, but what the heck happened with Idaho? You've gone all around it? Do you have a severe spud phobia?

Catniption
04-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Double, I just gotta ask - on your map, you've been all around, almost everywhere, but what the heck happened with Idaho? You've gone all around it? Do you have a severe spud phobia?

I just want to know how to get the maps!

Pennyrick
04-04-2012, 10:16 AM

Yeah, I have answered that before.

We traveled up the west coast and decided to go into Canada. On the way back we dropped down across the border from Calgary through Lethbridge, Alberta and crossed into Wyoming. We just missed Idaho entirely and have not gone back to pick it up. We will someday.

SpyderDuck
04-04-2012, 07:34 PM
I just want to know how to get the maps!

Here ya go-

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?34814-State-Map-on-your-signature

Rayelljay
04-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Yet another reason to love the Carolinas... the people! Thank you all so much for your encouragement and stories. I'm really trying to make the best of it out here and there is a ton of beauty. I guess NC just spoiled me!

I went to the bio-park last weekend and they have a huge greenhouse for flowers and plants. Of course it was incredibly humid and hot, and I sat down on one of the benches. My friend said, "Seriously? You want to sit in here?" I turned around and said, "Yes I do, this feels like home!" Unfortunately, it would be too expensive to buy tickets to the bio-park every week for my "fix". I am not; however, missing the mosquitoes! I'll take the yellow pollen haze over the constant dirt filled air out here. Honestly, there is so much dirt in the air that when it does sprinkle, it rains mud. Not kidding!

Of course, as long as I am here, you guys always have a place to stay if you should come this way!

As for what I do, I am a configuration management Bill of Material analyst... a big long way of saying I make parts lists from engineering drawings for manufacturing and purchasing. I use the SAP computer system as well as a little Teamcenter.

hey Cat......drop an email to Sandy Letchworth at sletchworth@usindustrialpiping.com . She works at a piping fabrication contractor here in Kernersville. I don't know if they have anything for you but it's worth a try. I worked with Sandy a few years back and after I was retired two years ago I paid her a visit to scope out any other jobs. You can mention my name if you wish.

Catniption
04-05-2012, 02:00 PM
hey Cat......drop an email to Sandy Letchworth at sletchworth@usindustrialpiping.com . She works at a piping fabrication contractor here in Kernersville. I don't know if they have anything for you but it's worth a try. I worked with Sandy a few years back and after I was retired two years ago I paid her a visit to scope out any other jobs. You can mention my name if you wish.

Thanks a lot! I'll give her a try.