PDA

View Full Version : Saddebags...and passenger seat bags

KipDM
04-02-2012, 03:03 AM
i was wondering if anyone had tried any (soft) saddlebags for the Spyder RS.:opps:
if so please post who made, which model, and rough cost.

i ask because i would love some additional storage on my RSS but don't have the cash to lay out for the Givi (or CanAm) hard bags.

the same goes for passenger seat bag.

i saw these in a Cycle Gear catalog and have not had the chance to drop by and check them out on my seat to see if they work:
Sedici Toscana Saddlebags ($100)
Sedici Veneto Tail Bag ($90)

any and all input is appreciated (including whether the items are durable or cheap quality).:2thumbs:

thanks all and happy ryding!!

SDM
04-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Hubby (Tobor 9) has the River Road soft saddle bags that he got from Cycle Gear. Disremember the price he paid but he has been very happy with them.

daveinva
04-02-2012, 07:51 AM
I have these from Nelson-Rigg (just the saddlebags, but I also have an N-R roll bag for the passenger seat, I strap it to my backrest either in front or to the rear if I have a pillion). I like them, they're easy enough, and I got a great deal on them used from another Spyderlover here at the forum.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?17325-Nelson-Rigg-CL950-Deluxe-Saddlebags

boomboom1
04-02-2012, 08:19 AM
I also have the Nelson-Rigg sadlebags. They are relatively inexpensive and work pretty well. I have used them on two trips so far with no problems.

tofriendscreek
04-02-2012, 08:33 AM
I used Roadgear soft saddle and tanks bags. The put longer straps on them to accommodate for the wider body of the Spyder. Great company and the bags were fantastic and excellent quality!

I'll be posting a "for sale" for the red side tank bags shortly.

http://roadgear.com/adventure-sport-saddle-bags-p-70.html

http://roadgear.com/sport-tank-sidebags-p-77.html

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?q2owt2
I'm mobile using Tapatalk

OneBadPenny
04-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Check out this guy. Smallowner in No California who makes his own stuff.

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A14%20Photo%20Gallery/19%20Spyder/CANAM.html

He does make saddle bags for Spyders just check with him.

Desert Spyder
04-02-2012, 09:36 AM

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A14 Photo Gallery/19 Spyder/CANAM.html

This is a great setup! I wonder if it could work on the T?

Recluze
04-02-2012, 09:43 AM
I have used soft saddlebags for about 30k miles of my SPyder life and like them a lot. I went to GIVI hard cases after that and they certainly looked better and had much more 'cool' factor but were not quite as useful, as hard as that may be to understand.

Let me explain: Soft saddle bags are easy on, easy off, you can carry them over your shoulder and they leak in heavy rain. Givi bags (I think BRP bags are the same) are easy enough on and off once you figure out how, bulky to carry, it will take both hands and tend carry a bit of water and such with them. The security of the GIVI is better. I don't worry much about security when it comes to my dirty underwear. Actually I don't worry about security much at all when I am on a bike other than to keep the bike pretty close to me at all times. The price is about $800 more for the GIVI. There is some installation but it is easy and well thought out. The mounting racks for the GIVI are easy to pop off when you want to look more original.

I solved the waterproof issue with the soft saddlebags by going to Walmart and buying a 3 gallon zip lock bag for each side. I still have the zip lock bags and still use them. Decidedly uncool but it keeps everything dry.

So to save some bucks the soft bags are very much a solution. I have another RS and don't think I am going to spring for the hard cases because it makes the Spyders butt look fat IMHO. I am looking to mount a hard case on my sport rack but may not even do that. If I want to go trekking I still have my soft saddlebags and Walmart zip lock bags. I could look up the brand but it means getting in the attic. I do believe that there are many at the local Motorcycle shop and they are pretty much a universal fit. I do use the BRP tank bag and Passengar seat bag and like both of those a lot although they will have the same problem with leaking and have the same solution

Hope this helps.

r1100rider
04-02-2012, 11:31 AM

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A14 Photo Gallery/19 Spyder/CANAM.html

Those are my yellow spyders in the pic at the local BMW rally they work perfect and look at fit great good people to deal with and will do custom colors

KipDM
04-02-2012, 07:36 PM
than ks for the responses all.

i am checking out each one of the bags you suggested to see what works best for me (and saves loads over the Givi/Can-Am bags).
don't get me wrong if i had the money i would go ahead and get them but money is tight but i HAVE to take my baby :spyder2: on a real road trip so i need some luggage room (at 6ft and 300lbs my clothes are NOT small).

NancysToy
04-02-2012, 08:33 PM
You might want to consider something large, like the Helen2Wheels Clothes Bag or a Seal-Line side-loading bag. They are very waterproof, and hold a bunch. I use them for trips and for camping. Strap it to the back seat and off you go. The only drawback is having to loosen the straps at gas stops, but with something like the Helen2Wheels Cargo Straps or the RokStraps, that is pretty quick and easy. I even use this setup on my RT when I am traveling without a passenger or trailer, and I have used it many times on the RS.

daveinva
04-02-2012, 09:01 PM
You might want to consider something large, like the Helen2Wheels Clothes Bag or a Seal-Line side-loading bag. They are very waterproof, and hold a bunch. I use them for trips and for camping. Strap it to the back seat and off you go. The only drawback is having to loosen the straps at gas stops, but with something like the Helen2Wheels Cargo Straps or the RokStraps, that is pretty quick and easy. I even use this setup on my RT when I am traveling without a passenger or trailer, and I have used it many times on the RS.

Scotty, which size H2W clothes bag do you use? The large seems too large... Any pics of it on the bike?

staysafeonline
04-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Any pics of it on the bike?

:agree: would love to see pics.

NancysToy
04-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Scotty, which size H2W clothes bag do you use? The large seems too large... Any pics of it on the bike?
I had to measure it to be sure. I've had it a very long time. Mine is the Large (12"x26"). Sorry but the best picture available is on Nancy's Spyder...buried under my other gear. It is longer than the Seal-Line bag next to it, but not too long...even before Nancy had saddlebags. I used it on my RT to go to Spyderfest last year, but I have no pics...it was raining cats & dogs!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14260&d=1226435249

daveinva
04-03-2012, 11:18 AM
I had to measure it to be sure. I've had it a very long time. Mine is the Large (12"x26"). Sorry but the best picture available is on Nancy's Spyder...buried under my other gear. It is longer than the Seal-Line bag next to it, but not too long...even before Nancy had saddlebags. I used it on my RT to go to Spyderfest last year, but I have no pics...it was raining cats & dogs!

Thanks Scotty, that gives me more than enough of an idea of how it would work on mine.

Sny
04-03-2012, 08:47 PM
We have a medium and a large Helen2Wheel bags and they work great in the rain and the hotel room. I like that they open the long way, a lot easier to find things. The loops stitched on the sides keep them in place and let you tie other bags to them.

The large fits just outside the grab bars and is well supported on the back seat of the RS. The medium fits on top, behind or anywhere else (it's a lot smaller.)

michigal
04-03-2012, 09:53 PM
I bought the Gran Tour Bag from Custom Dynamics. Its a pretty good size, well made and if you are taller than me and can sit further back from the handlebars (I'm only 5'1") it makes a pretty good driver backrest as well. It cost less than $200 and I had it within three days of ordering it. It come with a mounts for the passenger seat or will mount on a luggage rack; also comes with a rain cover.

If you use it on the passenger seat, you need to take it off every time you fill the tank, but is it really easy on/easy off. Take a look at it, you might find it worth buying.

KipDM
04-03-2012, 11:57 PM
dang, did not even think of checking site sponsors for saddlebags :banghead:
already have the canam passenger bag but may upgrade it to something larger.
we'll see how the trips go this year before i know for sure.