PDA

View Full Version : PROBLEMS WITH MY NEW RT. AM I THE ONLY ONE WITH THESE PROBLEMS?

mansionman
04-02-2012, 12:29 AM
:(
Bought an RT in Vegas a week ago. Nothing but problems. Had to take it to the shop every day for a week. It kept showing DPS error code and went into "LIMP HOME MODE" when I was doing 65mph in the center lane of a busy freeway. This happened 3 times and I almost got run over by the cars behind me. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
What is the cruising range on a full tank of gas?

GnA
04-02-2012, 01:22 AM
:(

Bought an RT in Vegas a week ago. Nothing but problems. Had to take it to the shop every day for a week. It kept showing DPS error code and went into "LIMP HOME MODE" when I was doing 65mph in the center lane of a busy freeway. This happened 3 times and I almost got run over by the cars behind me. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
What is the cruising range on a full tank of gas?

One cause can be if you are unintentionally pressing on the brake pedal...

CyncySpyder
04-02-2012, 03:37 AM
431554315643157431581st off, :congrats: & :welcome: The Spyders are shipped from the factory to the dealers in a large crate & some assembly is required. Initial dealer set-up will make or brake a new owners experience, I know from personal experience, now having had both. Something as simple as the set-up tech. not insuring that the battery terminals are tight, can cause a cascade of intermitant fault codes which often times, isn't really related to the actual root cause, so they troubleshoot over & over again, usually blaming the problem all awhile on BRP so the customer doesn't blame them. Now I'm NOT saying this is your case, but this same scenerio has played out here on the forum, time and again. As mentioned by the other poster, inadvertantly ryding the brake pedal will also cause the compiter to go into "Limp Mode" & this too has been reported over & over again. I would see what dealerships in your area are highly reccommended by your fellow Spyder Owners & I would take your Spyder their with as much intel on your issues as you can provide & see if they can help you any better than the treatment your getting now. All dealers ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL. I hope you get your issues corrected soon and are able to really enjoy your New Ryde :yes: Its truly like nothing else on the road :yes: Good Luck & keep us informed :thumbup:

CyncySpyder
04-02-2012, 03:59 AM
4315943160But you can't compare the Spyders range to any two wheeler :lecturef_smilie: Apples & Oranges :lecturef_smilie: Most start out averaging between 22-26 mpg's (of course, depending on how heavy you are on the throttle, among many other elements) & as the byke breaks in, most find they level off right around 26-30, with a few breaking with the norm & get'n as low as 22 consistantly to a high of 36, but those aren't the norms, as mentioned. Also, many other factors come into play, like where you keep the shield positioned while ryding, your local terain & climate & in general your ryding style, 1 up, 2 up, towing a trailer etc........ BRP states you have a 6.6 gal. fuel tank on the RT, but something like 2.2 gals. are inaccessable :dontknow:(don't ask me) but the MOST I've EVER been able to put in, from dead empty, was 5.7 gals, others have reported mostly similar, but like usual, theres always a few outliers. We usually average around 125-150 miles per tank with our record high being 175 miles. I'm no expert, just offering what knowledge & assistance that I can, & I'm sure some of my numbers could be a little off here & there, but I hope this helps to answer your questions

Grandpa Spyder
04-02-2012, 04:56 AM
Nice pictures CyncySpyder 1st time I had seen those. learned a couple of things I was wondering about from them.
As to mile age anywhere between 130 and 150 miles I will need gas.
CyncySpyder is right dealer set up is a major part of not having trouble. Note many times problem with DPS is battery connection or charge.

ARtraveler
04-02-2012, 05:13 AM
:welcome::congrats: on the new ryde.

Dealer set up can be part of the problem. :spyder2: wants to be set up just so.

The other two common problems are riding with you foot on the brake pedal and loose battery terminal connections and possibly a low battery.

Once you get it set up--you will probably be writing a different story. Keep us posted.

arntufun
04-02-2012, 05:55 AM
RS's come in a crate as well. :dontknow:

:welcome: Well, you may not be a Spyderlover right now, but once you get your Spyder fixed you will be. These are a blast to ride. :thumbup:

NancysToy
04-02-2012, 08:05 AM
I agree that you need to check your foot position. Lightly riding the brake pedal can cause fault indications and limp mode. This is fairly common with those new to the Spyder. Also check for loose battery connections (the ones at the battery, not under the seat)...a common setup problem, that adversely affects the DPS.

The fuel range is variable. You have six gallons of fuel (absolute max) and can get anywhere from 20 to 40 mpg. I have averaged about 28 mpg over 12,000 miles. When the fuel light comes on you have a little over a gallon left. Most of us go by the odometer, and refuel anywhere from every 100 to 140 miles.

:welcome:

Paulf10
04-02-2012, 08:35 AM
I'm no expert, just offering what knowledge & assistance that I can, & I'm sure some of my numbers could be a little off here & there, but I hope this helps to answer your questions

I'm not so sure about the expert thing! I think thats a point of reference. For newbies like myself, your knowledge and experience puts you in that classification simply by comparison to those of us who know nothing! ;)

Thanks for the pictures. Very informative! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
04-02-2012, 08:54 AM
For newbies like myself, your knowledge and experience puts you in that classification simply by comparison to those of us who know nothing! ;)

We all learn by asking questions or "Trying something different". You'll soon be at a point where you'll be answering questions from new ryders also... :thumbup:

By pooling our knowledge, it makes us all better at this game! :2thumbs:

Paulf10
04-02-2012, 09:27 AM
We all learn by asking questions or "Trying something different".
By pooling our knowledge, it makes us all better at this game! :2thumbs:

So true Bob! You've got to love this web site! :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
04-02-2012, 09:34 AM
:welcome: did you buy yours from Pro Shop or Ride Now? Sorry to hear you are having problems and I'm sure that must have been heart stopping to go into limp mode on the freeway here.

There is a Spyder ride this Saturday leaving from ProShop at 10:00 and going to Mt. Charleston. If you can make it I'm sure you'll have a great time. If you need more info send me a PM and I'll set you up.

spyderdreams
04-02-2012, 10:27 PM
You may also want to inform Carlo at BRP about your problems. I've had problems with my RT including limp mode and Carlo was very helpful. Here is his email address spydertechsupport@brp.com

flaggerphil
04-02-2012, 10:34 PM
I think I was lucky in that I bought my Spyder at Ted's Motorcycle World in Alton, IL, and they do a VERY good job of setting a new Spyder up. I was also fortunate that the Spyder sales manager, who also owns an RT, warned me about inadvertently "riding" the brake peddle. I also had the beast looked at as soon as I finished the ride from St Louis to east-central Florida. So far I've been able to avoid some of the problems I've heard about.

Arr MiHardies
04-03-2012, 01:36 AM
There's good advice above. There are two dealers in town. RideNow and ProShop. If one dealer isn't getting it fixed, it's still warranty. Take it to the other one. I'd be inclined to guess you got yours at RideNow? Come by ProShop 10am this Saturday and meet with a bunch of other owners. And come for a ride and lunch at Mt. Charleston.

packbuckbrew
04-03-2012, 09:06 AM
One way to check if it is the brake issue is to try and engage the cruise control. My brake was not adjusted correctly, had problem with the DPS code, limp mode just like yours, turned out to be the brake push rod not adjusted correctly. Good luck.

packbuckbrew
04-03-2012, 09:13 AM
By the way, it was not a dealer screw up, it was yours truly. The push rod went out of adjustment when I was reinstalling the right petal and brake assembly after some mods. Some problems with the spyder can be iatrogenic (caused by the user)

NorthStar
04-03-2012, 01:21 PM
"mansionman" I would like to hear if you have had any resolution to your Limp Mode issues. Your post was alarming and you having to take your new RT into the shop every day since purchase totally sucks.
Has your dealer been able to isolate what has been causing this dangerous problem on a brand new RT? If you are able to post the dealer's solution to your problem it may help us RT owners do some self diagnosis should the same issue happen to us in the future. Sometimes the cause is easy to trace, but other times it is something totally out in left field.

flaggerphil
04-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Yep...let us know how it turned out.

Arr MiHardies
04-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Only 1 posts from this person? No follow up? April 1st joke maybe?

Blondie
04-08-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm not so sure about the expert thing! I think thats a point of reference. For newbies like myself, your knowledge and experience puts you in that classification simply by comparison to those of us who know nothing! ;)

Thanks for the pictures. Very informative! :thumbup:

So agree---these forums and info from experienced rides/owners help us newbies so much. Thanks for all the great info.

napper39
04-08-2012, 12:59 PM
he must have tride keeping his foot away from the brake and it dont go in to limp mode any moore and is too ashamed to let us know,butnhe should know it hapened to a lot of us .man that brale is senstive ,i only touched it on the side and limp gos the mode:yikes::chat:

SpyderAnn01
04-08-2012, 05:50 PM
he must have tride keeping his foot away from the brake and it dont go in to limp mode any moore and is too ashamed to let us know,butnhe should know it hapened to a lot of us .man that brale is senstive ,i only touched it on the side and limp gos the mode:yikes::chat:

You just might have hit the nail on the head.