PDA

View Full Version : 2012 RT DPS Problems

gene0108
04-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Is there anyone on here that has had broblems with DPS on a 2012 RT? We bought a new RT yesterday for the wife and twice while riding yesterday it went into limp mode "DPS" I thought they took care of this with the recall. I had mine changed on my 2010 RT but I really can't believe they are still having problems with the DPS.

Gene

NancysToy
04-01-2012, 09:08 AM
It could well be a low battery or a loose battery terminal. The DPS is the largest single elecrical draw (other than the starter) on a Spyder. Anyway, it's up to your dealer to make it right. It is not a typical problem, so don't worry. The DPS was redesigned back in 2010.

gene0108
04-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks, I will be calling them tomorrow. So far we have had two Limp mode "DPS" and one "Check engine" Limp mode. We have 360 miles on the wifes new RT. But other than that she loves it. Looking forward to seeing everyone again at Spyderfest.

Gene

Dar
04-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Good to hear she got her own. Sorry to hear of the troubles. Where did you purchase it at?

gene0108
04-02-2012, 09:29 PM
We bought it at Performance Powersports in Houma, Louisiana.

NancysToy
04-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Also make sure she is not inadvertently riding the brake pedal lightly. Than can cause similar issues.

napper39
04-03-2012, 12:25 AM
like its been sed many times foot on the brake but not every time like me i was only light touching the brake on the side and limp mode,also like he said battery cable loose,and fuses loose and relays loose.all do the same thing limp mod .so make sure all these things are watched or your going to have trouble.so ride like the wind and have fun.:thumbup::chat:

zbunker
04-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Is there anyone on here that has had broblems with DPS on a 2012 RT? We bought a new RT yesterday for the wife and twice while riding yesterday it went into limp mode "DPS" I thought they took care of this with the recall. I had mine changed on my 2010 RT but I really can't believe they are still having problems with the DPS.

Gene

Being a relative 'new guy' I must apologize for my lack of knowledge of acronyms and or aberrations for my Spyder,(2012 RT) :dontknow: But what is the "DPS."
I guess if I had trouble with it, I would know all about it :chill:

Pennyrick
04-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Being a relative 'new guy' I must apologize for my lack of knowledge of acronyms and or aberrations for my Spyder,(2012 RT) :dontknow: But what is the "DPS."

That "Dastardly Power Steering".

NancysToy
04-21-2012, 06:31 PM

That "Dastardly Power Steering".
...although BRP prefers to refer to it as Dynamic Power Steering. It helps more under conditions like low speeds, and phases out as you go faster.

frank3
04-30-2012, 07:36 AM
Couldn't resist adding my thoughts to this subject. I've had DPS failures for over a year now. Performed all of the suggested fixes, checked all the electrical connections, made sure I haven't contacted the brake peddle ect. ect. Each time I took it to the dealer, the failure didn't exist and the dealer would see the message on BUDs, clear the message and was not able to find anything. Finally, when I took it to the dealer for my 12,000 mile service at 24,000 miles, the message was active on the screen and the power steering was non existant. Dealer hooked it up to BUDS, called BRP and was told about all the electrical connection possibilities and if the dealer found no problem there (found none), to reclabiate the DPS unit. The dealer performed the reclaibration and reset the message. After all the other 12K service was complete (2 weeks later), I picked up the 2010 RT and rode it home (55 miles). No message till a week later. Problem has returned. Called the dealer and was told that BRP had advised them that if the DPS failure came back, to call them, order a replacement DPS unit. That was a week ago and I'm waiting for the replacement DPS unit to arrive so I can take it in. BTW, I've had the problem so long (1+year) that I've learned to ride it without power steering. Is a little tough turning tight corners but at least it's predicatable. Once it fails, there is no power steering at all. Power steering only returns after the key is shut off and the RT is allowed to rest for a period of time. Most of the time, this resets the problem but now it's gotten to the point that this fails to reset the DPS. Can't hardly wait to have this replaced. A year is a long time to fight something like this. BTW, prior to the DPS replacement campaign service over a year ago, I never had the problem. Makes me wonder if the unit they put in over a year ago was a defective unit from someone else's unit.

pellcitypete
05-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Where I live there is a lemon law and I won't hesate to use it if my spyder is not fixed soon. just sayning!

Tango
05-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Where I live there is a lemon law and I won't hesate to use it if my spyder is not fixed soon. just sayning!

Most state "Lemon Laws" don't cover motorcycles. :banghead: Tom :trike:

NancysToy
05-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Most state "Lemon Laws" don't cover motorcycles. :banghead: Tom :trike:
About half do and half don't.

johnwinslow
05-04-2012, 07:14 PM
a good question ? to ask yourself, is or does the cruise control refuse to work, unlatch for no known reason. if it does act like this, touching the brake
causes it to kick out, ergo you are riding the brake pedal although you would swear you were not.

Schnauzer
05-04-2012, 10:57 PM
We got the DPS/Limp mode while at Spyderfest. I understand all about the current draw. It was rather cool that morning so the hand warmers were set on high, after letting them get hot, I quickly tripped them to low and all hell broke loose... "DPS" flashing, Limp Mode 30mph. I realized I had flipped the switch so I turned off the hand warmers, and slow ly made it to a place where I could safely get off the road. After seeing I was still to close to the traffic after pulling over, I started getting back up to speed and only the DPS displayed till we made it to our next stop. Removed the key went inside for about 15 min. everything back to normal.. Don't hardly use the brake, that's why I got a SM5. My feet ride on the floorboards.