PDA

View Full Version : Good info: Check your battery cables

StanProff
03-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Everyone has read about many issues that arise from something as simple as a loose battery connection. This began to haunt me so I decided to start removing panels till I could get to the battery on my RT S. I wasn't sure how to access it so I just took everything on that side out of the way.
I don't know if this applies to the RS so I posted it on the RT forum. We hear and read a lot about the correct "set-up" out of the box, of the dealers and problems with the Spyders not being checked out throughly before taking them home. I happen to know that my 2010 RT, bought in June of '11, had good set up by a good mechanic at East Tenn. ATV. I have had no problems. With about 8000 miles I decided to check my battery connections just to get a little peice of mind. After all, time and vibration does affect bolts and screws on anything. Lo and behold the negitive connection on the battery WAS loose!:shocked: I could move the cable back and forth with easily with two fingers. I was only a ride or two away from having a problem! I am now going to check the battery at least a couple of times a year. It is not hard to do now that I've done it once.:)
I am sure many Spyder riders will avoid random issues if we would only check this simple item.
Question: has anyone put anything on the screw threads such as lock-tight or something to keep the bolt tight? I understand that some units have a lock washer on them but mine did not. With the bolt threaded into the post i can see how vibration etc. can loosen this connection. Well, I cleaned the connections and put her back on and now have peice of mind.

NancysToy
03-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Loctite is not a good idea. It can insulate the connection, and can cause the plastic battery case to crack in time. Some people use an internal star lockwasher, but they dig into the lead battery terminals, or damage the coating on the wire terminals, and will eventually loosen anyway. Adding a third metal in the joint is also an invitation to galvanic or electrolytic corrosion. I recommend just checking the connections at every oil change, just as you should check the tightness of other important fasteners. It only takes a few minutes to snug things up, and is well worth the effort. If you really want to get carried away, clean the connections while you are at it.

Bob Denman
03-31-2012, 08:30 AM
:agree: Just keep things as simple as possible and check often... :thumbup:

Chazzman
03-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Loctite is not a good idea. It can insulate the connection, and can cause the plastic battery case to crack in time. Some people use an internal star lockwasher, but they dig into the lead battery terminals, or damage the coating on the wire terminals, and will eventually loosen anyway. Adding a third metal in the joint is also an invitation to galvanic or electrolytic corrosion. I recommend just checking the connections at every oil change, just as you should check the tightness of other important fasteners. It only takes a few minutes to snug things up, and is well worth the effort. If you really want to get carried away, clean the connections while you are at it.

Scotty, what is the easiest way to access the battery?

NancysToy
03-31-2012, 11:10 AM
Scotty, what is the easiest way to access the battery?
I just pull off all the left side panels. That is not an easy way, but it isn't tough. I strip both sides every time I change the oil, just to look things over and check fasteners, fuels hoses, etc.

johnwinslow
03-31-2012, 03:00 PM
never put the locking washer between the terminal and batery post or other conector, if you want to see a good set up that is tryied and true look at a BMW car the battery is in the trunk far away fron anycontaminates, and the power connections are very secure.

epiphysis
03-31-2012, 03:38 PM

great info about the loctite.....I was wondering myself!