PDA

View Full Version : 2012 RT S Limited SE 5 Vibrations and Fuel mileage

claude@classic
03-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Howdy guys and gals,
I'm new to this forum and my Can Am so hopefully I'm putting these questions in the right place. I have new 2012 RT SE5 Limited. Bought bike about 3 weeks ago. I get a pretty severe vibration at 72 to 79 MPH in 5th gear (haven't tried in any other gear yet). Bike has 2,200 miles and had 600 mile service which I told dealer about the vibration, he sort of blew me off and said it was normal. Well down here in Texas we drive between 75 and on up riding at 75 the vibration is very annoying to say the least. This comes in by GPS at 72 MPH and goes away at 78/79 MPH I haven't had bike over 80 to 83 so can say if it comes back or not. Riding up to 71 MPH and over 78 MPH ride is excellent. Any thoughts where I might start looking. I don't think it is a tire balance issue because it seems to be coming form the middle of the bike and I have had friends beside me on both sides and they looked at tires and didn't notice anything wrong. I also after 2200 miles am only getting 25.6 MPG what's the rest of you getting. I'm not a heavy throttle guy (retired old coot just having fun) so my driving is pretty conserative, I expected better mileage. My 2010 Harley Screamin Eagle does much better than this Can Am on fuel. Rode Can Am 725 miles last Saturday really didn't have any wind and only had my 250# butt and maybe another 20# of clothes crammed in saddlebags, best I got on this trip was 25.7 MPG.

Any help will be appreciated as I fixing to leave for first Iron Butt 1000 ride then on to Reno for a week of playing sure would like to have the bugs worked out before I go.

Thanks
Claude

CyncySpyder
03-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Your about the 3rd poster Ive seen with this same vibration issue on a 2012 LMTD, wonder if we have an issue here. Someone else, more knowledgeable than I will chime in soon I'm sure with some possible hints or suggestions.

As for fuel economy, you can't compare a Spyder to any other byke on the road, Apples & Oranges my friend. You have 3 seperate tracks running hybrid flatter tires, a huge front end & with the shield, your pushing a barn-door thru the wind. Your economy right now is average, but it does get better the more the byke gets broken in. Most average around 27-32 after the byke is well broken in. One other note, as I'm sure you've already noticed, the Rotax is a High RPM motor & that doesn't lend itself to economy. Shifting between 4,200-5,000 RPMs usually gives best economy results, while the Spyders Power Band really comes alive over 5,000 RPMs, but at the cost of fuel economy. IT IS WHAT IT IS & will get better with more miles. Welcome to the Spyder Family & this is the BEST place on the web for anything & everything Spyder related.

dav n ted~

soaring hawk
03-29-2012, 09:10 PM
You may need the belt tensioner , I. Added it to my rt-s controlled the vibes as for gas mileage I get between 27 and 30 mpg that's ok it's a toy It's the price for fun:yes:

Happy Trails

NancysToy
03-29-2012, 09:53 PM
At those speeds it might not be a vibration at all, but rather wind buffeting. It is hard to tell the difference sometimes. Raise (or lower) your windshield and see if it changes. 26 mpg at 75 mph is about average for a Spyder which isn't broken in. After several thousand miles it usually improves a bit...bit don't expect to be able to compare it to a motorcycle. This thing is like pushing a barn door through the wind, with the aerodynamics of a bumblebee. It will never compare to something slipperier, with half the wind resistance.

Grandpa Spyder
03-29-2012, 09:53 PM
As for gas mileage 25 to 31 is about what I average and start looking for fuel around 130 miles. i can't help you with the vibes, but there are some very knowledgeable people on here that might. And welcome to the best spyder forum.:welcome:

joe schmoe
03-30-2012, 06:15 AM
My wife's 2011 has the same exact vibration...It's not the wind buffeting...It is the drive belt and I believe it is some type of a harmonic resonance...As you get to that speed 72 to 78 or so the belt starts a bad vibration...From everything I have read take the slop out of the belt and the vibration will go away...(Belt tensioner)

Luckily my wife doesn't ryde her Spyder this fast so it's not an issue unless I'm driving and that is VERY SELDOM!!!

Good luck with your new Spyder!!! :thumbup:

mastertek2000
03-30-2012, 06:30 AM
i would say it is the belt does it seam to go away when you let off the throttle ?? if so i with go more with the belt

claude@classic
03-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Thank for all the replies. I contacted BMP (Carlos) and he is going to get back with me next week after the holiday. I'm thinking it is the belt. I had it out today with the guard off and another bike beside me as I approached 72 MPH belt started "flopping" after 78 MPH it slowed way down but didn't go away completely the viberation coinsides with the belt flop. Does anyone have a dimension to check belt tension? If so please explain how to check it and what the dimension should be.

Thanks again guys!!!

NancysToy
03-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Thank for all the replies. I contacted BMP (Carlos) and he is going to get back with me next week after the holiday. I'm thinking it is the belt. I had it out today with the guard off and another bike beside me as I approached 72 MPH belt started "flopping" after 78 MPH it slowed way down but didn't go away completely the viberation coinsides with the belt flop. Does anyone have a dimension to check belt tension? If so please explain how to check it and what the dimension should be.

Thanks again guys!!!
Belt tension is only accurately checked with the dealer's sonic gauge. The specs are only given for that gauge...and don't translate directly to other gauges. That being said, a number of riders use the Krikit II, available from NAPA. The best way to use this is to have your dealer accurately adjust the belt, then check with the Krikit to get a baseline reading. You can then use that, even checking when the Spyder is on the ground if that's where you took a baseline measurement, instead of jacked up as the book specifies. Another good indicator is to grab the belt midway between the sprockets with your thumb and forefinger, and give it a twist. A 90 degree twist, with difficulty, is about right. Keep in mind that these are not approved methods, and adjustment this way could affect your warranty in case of sprocket or output shaft failure.

If you find your belt too loose, it is entirely possible that the tech erred and measured the tension with the Spyder on the ground. That will result in a far lower reading than what is specified jacked up.

8 LEGS
03-30-2012, 07:48 PM
I also have a vibration at certain speeds and I also have a 2012 RT.

Mspiv
04-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Me too....

MHTAH
05-28-2012, 01:51 AM
i'm a relative newbie here with only 390 miles so far, but I have also noticed the vibration on mine; however, I noticed that cruising in any gear, at around 5200 RPMs the engine seems to pass through a 'resonance' type of vibration. Until now, I hadn't ridden since about 1985, but way back then I had the same exact vibration at around, if I remember correctly, 5200 or 5300 RPM. I bought a 1978 Honda CX500 new and rode it for seven years with that exact type of vibration in that RPM range - never did find out what it was, but the CX500 was a short-stroke water-cooled V-twin much like the Rotax - ran almost exactly the same. Only difference was the Honda used a drive shaft instead of a belt.

I'm interested in the drivebelt tension theory and will check into that, just in case ....

MHTAH

Diamond R
05-28-2012, 08:41 AM
I failed to mention in my summary post, we just picked up our 2012 lmt, it also has the vibration, but I notice it at various speeds and in all gears. It comes and goes, last 2-3 seconds. I plan on calling Len or Rick first and see what they can tell me. This is something I defiantly want fixed.
Also I noticed that on the front where it has the extra 4 lights, only one works. Bugs to be worked out

enjoy the ride
Allen & Patti

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Welcome Aboard, now lets have some fun...Mike...sorry about your problem ,but it will get fixed....could very well be belt tension related......:thumbup:

redroC
05-29-2012, 07:18 AM
I have a 2012 RT Limited, and I've notice the same thing.

In 3rd, 4th and 5th gear I get vibration at around 5,200 to 5,500 RPM's.
I've noticed if I rev it up to 5,200 and let it start to vibrate, then back off to about 5,000 then push through, it's not real bad.
But it's hard when you're on the freeway in 5th gear and you can't speed up enough to get past the vibration.

I've searched around and it sounds like they could adjust the belt, but it would just move the vibration to another range of RPM's.
(Is that correct?)

But so far I'm having too much fun riding to even really worry about it!

(As far as MPG, my over all average is about 26, but the last several tanks have been getting closer to 29. I've got about 1,900 miles on it now.)

Boyd

All Around
05-29-2012, 09:18 AM
I have the same thing on mine 2012 RT limited. Right around 5200 rpm in 5 gear. My first thought was also belt.

ARtraveler
05-29-2012, 11:14 AM
I cannot add to the information that has been posted previously. Just want to say :welcome:

Big Iron
05-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Welcome New Spyder Ryder!!!

spyder3
05-29-2012, 11:56 AM
i have the same vibration at 5200 with the belt tensioner. I am going to have the tension on the belt checked when it goes in the shop. This is the only spot i still have the belt vibe, annoying but either i go a little slower or a little faster and its gone...guess which one...:roflblack:

Huntindawg1962
05-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Like RedroC wrote, I went out last night on my RT and found the same vibration in 4th and 5th gears. It seems it was not speed dependent, rather, RPM related. When I was at that 5000 RPM in those higher gears (so anywhere from 50-65MPH) I would notice it. Roll on or off the throttle and the vibration immediately ceased. Feels a little like you are hitting those corrugated lane marker strips but not as severe.

vrodrjs
05-30-2012, 10:05 AM
I have the same issue between 5200 and about 5400. At my 600 mi service I told the service writer about it but he just looked back at me with that "deer in the headlights" stare. Well at least I know what it is now.

redroC
05-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Feels a little like you are hitting those corrugated lane marker strips but not as severe.

It feels just like that for me as well.

The first time it happened it scared me, but after searching this site it seems pretty common.
And I haven't seen anyone post anything that sounds like a fix.

I guess it's just something we have to live with?

I know my car (Corolla) doesn't like going 70 - 72, over or under seems fine.

Twiegs
05-30-2012, 12:34 PM
I have the same issue at the same speeds as you. Sounds like it might be across the board on all models as I have a 2012 RS.

Ride Master
06-12-2012, 02:32 PM
I too have the vibration on my 2012 RT Limited. Did not have the vibration on my 2010 RT SE5. Been to the dealer 3 times and had them write on my R/O that it was the 3rd time. Service Manager tells me to not worry about it. They had BRP initiate a case number.

Gas Mileage...just returned from a 1700 mile trip to Northern Cal and back. When I was not aggressive, I got 37 MPG. Was very aggressive coming home with a lot of full throttle and speeds up to 95MPH...I ran out of gas at 160 miles about 3 miles from home (About 24 MPH.) So the range is between 160 miles and 240 miles...big difference.
MPG is related to driving style.

Howdy guys and gals,
I'm new to this forum and my Can Am so hopefully I'm putting these questions in the right place. I have new 2012 RT SE5 Limited. Bought bike about 3 weeks ago. I get a pretty severe vibration at 72 to 79 MPH in 5th gear (haven't tried in any other gear yet). Bike has 2,200 miles and had 600 mile service which I told dealer about the vibration, he sort of blew me off and said it was normal. Well down here in Texas we drive between 75 and on up riding at 75 the vibration is very annoying to say the least. This comes in by GPS at 72 MPH and goes away at 78/79 MPH I haven't had bike over 80 to 83 so can say if it comes back or not. Riding up to 71 MPH and over 78 MPH ride is excellent. Any thoughts where I might start looking. I don't think it is a tire balance issue because it seems to be coming form the middle of the bike and I have had friends beside me on both sides and they looked at tires and didn't notice anything wrong. I also after 2200 miles am only getting 25.6 MPG what's the rest of you getting. I'm not a heavy throttle guy (retired old coot just having fun) so my driving is pretty conserative, I expected better mileage. My 2010 Harley Screamin Eagle does much better than this Can Am on fuel. Rode Can Am 725 miles last Saturday really didn't have any wind and only had my 250# butt and maybe another 20# of clothes crammed in saddlebags, best I got on this trip was 25.7 MPG.

Any help will be appreciated as I fixing to leave for first Iron Butt 1000 ride then on to Reno for a week of playing sure would like to have the bugs worked out before I go.

Thanks
Claude

claude@classic
07-15-2012, 09:03 PM
To all that posted to my original message "thanks"... I finally found a dealer that knows what they are doing here in Houston. Wild West Honda a Spyder dealer has an excellent shop. After putting up with my viberation problem from new to 3,500 miles I took it to Wild West Honda and explained to them what the issues were with the bike. ONE DAY in their shop got full service and a few minor warranty issues handled. When I picked up the bike I was assured there was no more viberation. Out of their drive way and up to 75 mph smooth as can be. Have rode the bike another 1,000 miles since Wild West fixed it and still no problems. It was the drive belt as suspected but was told multiple times by Mancuso Gulf Freeway (selling and original serviceing dealer) the problem can't be fixed, well I guess they are wrong. Belt was tightened to factory spec's and at any speed it is smooth now. Its actually fun to ride at road speeds now... Great forum and thanks agian for all the input you guys are fantastic. Heading to North Carolina and some of the best bike riding in the USA in two weeks...
Claude