PDA

View Full Version : jacket advice from newbie

NVERLAST1
03-29-2012, 10:10 AM
is a black mesh jacket hotter than say a blue and black one? both are the phoenix 5.0 jackets from joe rocket

vampyregirl
03-29-2012, 10:23 AM
They're all hot until you get some air moving through them!! I have a pink/black one for the summer. Thought it might not be such a good thing last summer, but I like the idea of still having my skin if I crash.... It was really hot here (90's and up most of the time). When I put the jacket on, it was a bit.... icky, sticky, etc. Once I got moving on the Spyder, it was much better!!

I'm thinking an all black one is going to be a bit hotter, though.

Bob Denman
03-29-2012, 10:56 AM
:agree: The darker the color, the more heat it will absorb... :shocked:
Try to find lighter-colored outwerwear for the really hot days. :thumbup:

bikeguy
03-29-2012, 11:05 AM
This is just my opinion, so take it that way. I think any dark color will be hotter than a light color in the sunshine. I have a dark blue Firstgear mesh jacket and a silver Tourmaster mesh jacket. On a hot, cloudy day I don't think you can tell the difference in them. But on a hot day in bright sunshine, the silver Tourmaster will feel cooler. That's just my opinion and I can't verify it at all. As others have said, a mesh jacket may feel hot until you get some air moving through it, then it becomes much cooler.

As to your question, I doubt you could tell the difference between solid black and blue and black. If the blue is a really light blue and is the majority color, it might be some cooler.

Cotton

boborgera
03-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Dark is always hotter standing still, That said hot is hot it don't matter that much, and once you start moving you won't notice the difference. Get the color you like, and when you ''like'' something you'll tend to ware it every time you ride.:thumbup:

arntufun
03-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Slightly off topic........ But this is excactly the reason why a yellow Spyder is faster than the rest. The Spyder runs better when it's cooler and therefore faster. Dark Spyders retain heat.

Back to your thread now. :thumbup:

staysafeonline
03-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Slightly off topic........ But this is excactly the reason why a yellow Spyder is faster than the rest. The Spyder runs better when it's cooler and therefore faster. Dark Spyders retain heat.

Back to your thread now. :thumbup:

So by your logic - the SILVER and WHITE spyders are faster than your yellow spyder.

Now back to the original thread.

ARtraveler
03-29-2012, 11:40 AM
The darker the color--the more heat absorbtion.

boborgera
03-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Definitely a lot of hot air floating around here.:roflblack:

daveinva
03-29-2012, 12:09 PM
So by your logic - the SILVER and WHITE spyders are faster than your yellow spyder.

Now back to the original thread.

Silver's the fastest, it's made of mercury.

Marker
03-29-2012, 12:59 PM
I wear a Red Joe Rocket Meash jacket with Black inserts where ther is no mesh. I also like my skin in the event of a crash. I find the same as other riders once you get moving and air circulates I am not as hot. When standing still the jacket is hot but cooler than my leather jacket.:thumbup:

Cavman
03-29-2012, 02:56 PM
I've been looking for lighter colored Summer riding pants. Not a whole lot to choose from that are reasonably priced. I settled with some ADV Sport Jeans with Kevlar in them.
I was looking at some Joe Rocket pants but no one has them in the lighter color, only black.

BajaRon
03-29-2012, 05:40 PM
The dark color is going to work the same as any other color as long as you are moving. If you are stopped and it's a hot, sunny day the dark jacket will heat up more quickly. Stuck in traffic is the only time you'll notice a difference. If you're walking around you can always take it off.

I wear a solid black mesh-tex jacket and it's really no big deal. Get the color you like and go for it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-29-2012, 05:56 PM
IMHO I think should get it in hot pink, with pants to match......You will be soooooooooooooo cool you might freeze peoples eyeballs or just their b .:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::rofl black::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: :roflblack::yikes::gaah::yikes::gaah::yes::yes::hu n::agree::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflbla ck::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:....Mike