PDA

View Full Version : 2011-2012 Spyder Reliability

CajunJosh
03-26-2012, 02:59 AM
Hello all,

Planning on test driving and possibly becoming an owner of a 2012 RS manual. I really like the looks and design of the Spyder and think it would fit my riding style. (Previously rode a 2006 Yamaha FZ6)

Going through loads of posts on SpyderLovers and SpyderTalk regarding reliability it seems the Spyder has not been without it's technical and mechanical problems. From what I've seen it appears more problems have been related to the complicated electronic systems than mechanical systems although there have definitely been a few mechanical bugs. All of the information I've gone through seems to be dated and mainly deals with reliability issues from the early production units in 2008 and 2009.

My question is directed at those who have a 2011 or 2012 or even older models that have racked up a few miles. Have you noticed that the recalls and repairs have improved the reliability of the Spyder and does it appear that BRP has worked out a lot of the kinks in the past four years or are the problems part of a bigger issue with quality control, engineering, etc...

Coming from the watercraft world I rode a Yamaha FZR and was always impressed with the design and features of the SeaDoo watecraft. Owners seemed to praise their craft and all its features when working, but cursed them when they frequently failed, hoping that the Can-Am side of the business is a little different.

Very interested in the Spyder but concerned with the sheer number and diversity of problems reported by some owners and wanting some reassurance that BRP is improving the design of these bikes to increase reliability.

Thanks for your responses in advance!

RydeOnThree
03-26-2012, 05:51 AM
Don't over think the issue. It is just a few numbers of rider that have had any problem if you were to take a pole you would find that most have no complaint. As far as the complaints yes there have been some problems. But what I find is that people post things that go wrong and you will find that most of the replies you get are just the good people here helping or suggesting thing to help somone over a problem and thats a good thing.

Recluze
03-26-2012, 07:09 AM
I put 45,000 miles on a 2008. It never failed to start, never left me on the side of the road, never threw a code, never limped.

Yes it was early on and there were issue. Mostly the service network was new and mine in particular was not use to dealing with an over the road vehicle. BRP is a rec vehicle company. Or was. My dealer sold two stroke outboards among other things. This service or lack there of finally drove me off of the bike. That and a dangerous power steering flaw that has since been recalled.

A week ago I bought another 2008 Rs and I intend to have even better luck with it. It has no warranty so I will be doing my own service and that is probably for the best. If I do need a dealer I have found one that deals only in motorbikes so I am expecting better luck there.

Bottomline is that there is nothing, in my experience, that is more fun on the open road.

NancysToy
03-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Remember that the Internet greatly magnifies problems. I think this is especially true for vehicles with relatively low production numbers. All vehicle models seem to have difficulties. Hondas and BMWs are no exceptions. New models have more issues until the bugs get worked out. I had many difficulties with my 2010 RT, but relatively few with my 2011. Neither ever left me stranded, however. I guess it all depends on how much risk you are willing to tolerate. If you want none, I'd stay away from motorcycles (and sports cars) in general, but if you can tolerate a little risk, the Spyders seem to be doing pretty well for the most part.

fastfraser
03-26-2012, 07:25 AM
Have you ever been on a forum for your Yamaha ? I wonder if they ever had any problems :dontknow: Had a 2009 RS with 50,000 clicks on it and traded for my 2011 RT with 25,000 clicks both have been as dependable as any car I've owned. The Spyder never let me down and has never left me at the side of the road . The Spyder has been around for a very short time 5 years for the RS and 3 years for the RT. Sure there has been some growing pains, but BRP has always come up with a fix. If you reread the post I think you will find a lot of the problems have been from poor dealer assembly and inspections before customer delivery.

Anyhow :welcome:and I hope you are happy weather you get a :spyder2: or not .

CajunJosh
03-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Sure there has been some growing pains, but BRP has always come up with a fix. If you reread the post I think you will find a lot of the problems have been from poor dealer assembly and inspections before customer delivery.

And it does appear that BRP has done a few recalls which would suggest product improvement. That's why I'm curious how you high mileage riders have felt about the improvement and development of the Spyders over the years.

NorthStar
03-26-2012, 09:28 AM
The Spyder is a very sophisticated machine. The safety features such as DPS, VSS, ABS and all those other acronyms ending in S were developed to make this mode of transportation both very safe and fun to drive in all kinds of conditions and for all levels of drivers. With the complexity built into the Spyder safety features you are bound to have a few growing pains as a result of Dealer orientation for set up as well as driver inexperience in understanding how to properly drive and maintain their machines. The vast majority of riders just jump on their Spyders and enjoy uninterrupted driving pleasures for many thousands of miles. Some however have experience minor or major problems that needed to be addressed. These issues more often than not are reported here on Spyderlovers. Sometimes the resolution to their issue is handled by helpful suggestions from forum members and sometimes their dealer is able to track down the resolution. Finally if all else fails BRP jumps in to work with the dealer and owner to make things right.

I suggest that you go through with your plan to test drive a Spyder first. If you fall in love with the experience your mind and heart will push aside the negatives and force you to focus on the positives. I took that leap of faith and I am still in love after 30K kms.

TuckMiddle
03-26-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm still a new guy to my RT, but the few pain in the butt problems I've had have not stranded me and properly solved except for the excessive fuel vapor/dripping from the fuel vent. We're working that. The bottom line is that I would buy another one in a heartbeat. Did a 250 mile trip up to the GA hills/small mountains yesterday with my back DR on his 2011 BMW 1000. I always ask him if he wants to lead in the hills and I'll catch up. "No, our speed is fine, I don't want to end up over a cliff, with no adult leadership!" I just left it in 3rd and we had a great run up Ga 60 and then Wolf Pen Gap - two terrific roads. Boy, it's smooth as silk at 5 to 7,000 RPM. The point being, you can do most anything with a Spyder you can do with any 2 wheel touring bike - except drop it:yikes:. Back and arthritis issues led me to the Spyder - but I would have bought it anyway, after my demo ride. :firstplace:

Tuck

SteveMac
03-26-2012, 10:30 AM
I agree that problems are magnified on forums because the owner is seeking help and answers, or even just a way to vent sometimes.

I do believe the vast majority of owners have little to no issues.

2010 RT here. Almost 11,000 miles and no major problems. I had squeaky pads replaced on a recall, and one limp mode that was my fault. I ran the battery down.

Was in the seat yesterday from 08:00 to 19:00. Several stops and over 300 happy miles!

Best of luck on your decision. Just pick a reputable dealer and make sure they know that YOU KNOW that initial setup of these machines is critical.

:):):)

daveinva
03-26-2012, 10:55 AM
I can only speak for myself, but the two most important factors in Spyder owner satisfaction appear to be how good/responsive their local dealer(s) are, and how good they are in setting up the bikes (they arrive crated from the BRP factory, it's up to the dealership to assemble them properly).

If you have a good dealer/mechanic that setup your bike properly, you'll have tens of thousands of happy miles and smiles.

If you have a bad dealer/mechanic that failed to setup your bike properly, you'll be in for a very different ride.

Thus, it's strongly worth considering buying from a trusted dealer, and knowing in advance how strong your local dealer network is. Some owners are fortunate to have multiple dealers in easy driving distance; others have to trek hundreds of miles to the single closest dealer. If you're in the former camp, I'd buy in a heartbeat; if you're in the latter camp, I'd recommend a strong stomach and a roll of the dice.

Good luck! :doorag:

Sarge707
03-26-2012, 11:08 AM
I have a 09 RS with 17,000 miles and one small problem early on BUT never left me stranded.
BRP Jet skies seem to have more problems because they have always had the Majority share of the market and because of their performance they are ridden more!
I Love my Spyder and if you do your own maintenance the Cost of owning is minimal!!!
:spyder2:

ARtraveler
03-26-2012, 11:31 AM
I agree with all the posts above.

The internet greatly magnifies problems. The unhappy people are more likely to post or rant if they feel they have an axe to grind with BRP.

People with problems also come to the site to find answers. That is one of the great things about the site--you will most likely find answers.

I have had a 2008 GS, a 2009 RS, and a 2010 RTS. Over 50,000 miles combined and no major problems except for recalls which were performed for free. I have never been stranded by my
Spyder's.

Take your test drive and see what you think. You can run into a bad vehicle from any company.

KipDM
03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
i own a 2011 RS but have only put 4k miles on it. already have a few planned trips o it for this year so hoping to get about 6k more in the next few months.

i have had 2 problems:
1) i was in reverse coming out of my driveway and someone parked right behind me to ask about it. i THOUGHT i took it out of reverse to talk to them but didn't so i cause an error code. (the manual instructs you to not leave it in reverse for too long). totally my fault since i left it in reverse -and got off the :f_spider:to talk to them. fix: turn off, restart. problem solved.
2) in summer rode for about an hour and a half and it threw a code. it was 105 that day, just a little bit of heat. fix: turn off, sit and read manual for 3-4 minutes while i looked up the error message, restart. perfect ever since. i was ryding a bit hard that day AND the heat....my poor baby had just gotten tired.

the only problems i have had other than that are not getting to spend enough time with her (especially on the open road) and one guy (ONE guy) disrespecting my ryde.

Paulf10
03-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Don't over think the issue. It is just a few numbers of rider that have had any problem if you were to take a pole you would find that most have no complaint. As far as the complaints yes there have been some problems. But what I find is that people post things that go wrong and you will find that most of the replies you get are just the good people here helping or suggesting thing to help somone over a problem and thats a good thing.

IMHO this is really good advice. I was on the fence about buying a 2012 RT Limited because of the issues I was reading about. However I would strongly recomend not over thinking it and just take the plunge. You will be extremely happy you did.

Pandy
03-26-2012, 12:11 PM
As stated, with now 20k miles in just over a year, we have been truly blessed with a Wednesday Spyder. Almost none of the quirks, and weirdness that seem to plague others, and as has been stated, the Internet magnifies problems. All my issues have been dealt with in a prompt competent manner (once I found a cooperative dealer) BRP seems to be on a steady track of improvement. So, go for it, and if you still have any trepidation, invest in the extended warranty or learn to turn torx wrenches.
Patrick

bikeguy
03-26-2012, 12:40 PM
I have a 2010 RT with 23,500 miles. The power steering was replaced on a recall although I had no problems with the original unit. I will say that the replacement is a better unit and the RT rides better with it. A few of the 2010's had problems with the throttle bodies and related software and mine was one of them. The throttle body was replaced under warranty, the software upgraded, and no further problems. I've had no problems that came even close to leaving me stranded on the road.

I agree with most of what has been said by earlier posters, especially Scotty's statement that one should stay away from motorcycles and sports cars if he/she can't tolerate a little risk. I would like to add that BRP has addressed any problems I've had in a very responsive manner, more so than most manufacturers. I'll also say that my dealer has been top notch in dealing with me. Can-Am Spyders are not totally problem free but I've never ridden any brand that was.

Cotton

bluestratos
03-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Every motorcycle I have owned new has had warranty issues but if your one of the unlucky few that have the problems it is a big deal, those that have little nor none would disagree with that statement. I think BRP has been learning from the past so I expect the 2012 will be that much better. My 2011 has had 4 big problems and now it looks like I have another one to deal with so back to the dealer I go. As a working stiff this is always difficult for me to do as they are only open on Saturday on the weekends. That being said, I am still in love with the bike and when it works it is my only relief from a hetic world. I plan a trip to Reno or Vegas this spring and I have to budget for the likely hood I will not make it back as to date I have only gone about 1000 miles between each issue.

Rayelljay
03-26-2012, 02:56 PM
I can only agree with our previous friends.
I bought my RS new in May '11 and he now has 7k.
He has never let me down but once....faulty setup resulted in a Power steering fault.
My dealer tended to me right away with smiles, good conversation, and competent wrenching.
If you don't realise it now, you soon will, that you have one of the best owner/mechanic support groups on the planet. Yes, you have to have a great dealer but you will be able to inform your mechanic in a much better way with Spyderlovers behind you.
The dealer is there to separate you from your money but you can talk at length with anyone here and you'll find it a great informative experience.
Even now, you should be getting ready to go out and buy your preferred machine....you might have a problem but chances are, you won't if you have a good dealer.
I chose mine as the least electronically complex machine (RS SM5) and have been rewarded with a beautiful ryde as reliable as anything I have owned.
Go ahead...do it...you won't regret it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
03-26-2012, 07:01 PM
IMHO, If you're nervous about this purchase ( of a spyder) get the RS I think it's the more reliable of two at this time.......Before you buy, do some homework and find a dealer that has mechanics that know what they are doing.......if they don't ...you can be in for nightmares......I know of what I speak ...I live in Vermont and I think there are are only two dealers in the entire State.......and the one closest to me is " THE DEALER FROM HELL" ......don't mis-understand me, i love MY SPYDER and I hope you love your's when you get it.....Mike ....:thumbup:

SPYD1
03-26-2012, 07:11 PM
I agree with most of the posts. The best thing to do is to find a dealer that has mechanics who are versed in Spyders and have been through BRPs training. You can ask the dealers for this information. Any and all issues I have had have been dealer induced. I love my ryde and would by another. They are a riot to ryde and SL makes it fun when you aren't ryding. I enjoy the threads from all of these fine people. I also enjoy all the attention I get when ryding. People will stop when I am fueling and my wife insists that I don't leave her alone when we stop as people will pull off the road to ask questions about it. In summary, find a good dealer and make the plunge.

packbuckbrew
03-26-2012, 07:32 PM
2010 RTS, 12,000 miles.

Only one real issue, bad solenoid in transmission. BRP towed the bike, fixed it and no other major issues. There are nearly always some issues with a model as new as the spyder RT and even the older RS. Most of these issues are relatively minor (squeaking brakes for example) that are certainly an annoyance, but cannot be considered a major design flaw. Some issues have been more significant, most notably the DPS failures, but it seems that this problem has largely been managed. As someone whom has been around a lot of powersports equipment over many years, I find the spyder to be no more or less reliable than average. Certainly not 5 star, but absolutely not the bottom of the barrel (i.e. the AMF Harley days). Hope that helps.

MikeinGA
03-26-2012, 08:51 PM
I have mine for 9 months. I did some mods, but no problems with the base product. I would say most problems are caused by the some dealers having poorly trained techs. and there basic skilles were poor. The Spyder is high tech machine and it think most of the bugs have been worked out. My Spyde has close to 6,000 miles on it and no real problems. Finding a dealer with a good service department is the key. Ask the spyder riders from your states forum. I ride mine as much as I can. That's IMHO.

Mike

CajunJosh
03-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks for all the responses! So it seems that proper assembly can be a big preventative to a large number of problems. I saw one response about a cooling issue. I know bikes in general don't do well in high temperatures at low speeds or heavy traffic but does the Spyder have any unique problems with heat or is its performance pretty consistent with a two wheeler with liquid cooling?

I wouldn't be using it as a commuter in traffic but would be riding in central Texas summers where 100-110 aren't uncommon.

CyncySpyder
03-26-2012, 11:30 PM
We drove 350 miles one way when the 2010 RTs first came to market & that was after my local dealer (now closed) had my $1000 deposit & couldn't fufill my order as promised, but still refused to return my deposit. As bad as my local dealer was, the one in WVA where I ended up purchasing, ended up being even worse. Long story short, they rushed the Set-Up & we had nothing but issue after issue , even from my initial test-ryde (Oh if I only knew then what I know now:opps:) Being brand new to market, I knew going in their were likely going to be issues, but I was in no way prepaired for what we ran into. Last year, Len from Cowtown, a site sponsor & host of SpyderFest, anounced he was building 5 Special Limited Edition Spyderfest RT-S's & we made a deal to trade our 2010 for the very first 2011 #1 of 5 SpyderFest Edition RT-S & I can't tell you how good of an experience & a pleasure this past year has been :firstplace: In 11 months we put almost 14,000 miles on our 2010, we've now got almost 24,000 on our 2011 & thats also benn in only the past 11 months.:thumbup: Such a Great & Addictive Experience, that our new Spyder is OUR ONLY MODE OF TRANSPORTATION! PERIOD? BRP has improved & they do listen, even if they still have issues with getting parts to dealers in a timely manner. Most (not all) the problems you read about concerning the RTs , or any model Spyder for that matter, can be traced back to Initial Dealer Set-Up &/or driver error IMHO.For those other instances, BRP has done recalls with seemingly good results, besides Forrests 5Throttle Bodies now, but thats a one off, I think :dontknow: Bottom Line, even tho we took a loss by trading in, it was worth every penny & I couldn't imagine our lives without our Spyder RT-S in it:yes: You have to do whats right for you & educating yourself is the first step. Keep in mind, once bitten, theres no going back. Enjoy the ryde, we sure do :doorag:.