PDA

View Full Version : FYI Gerbing heated clothing VS insurance

Heliplt
03-25-2012, 12:34 AM
I learned something yesterday, if you are wearing Gerbing heated clothing and it is plugged into your bike, it becomes part of the bike. Therefore in the unlikely event of an accident and your Gerbing gear is damaged it is covered under your motorcycle insurance. No plug or battery operated no insurance.

effgjamis
03-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Would depend upon your insurance coverage.. Most Insurance policys cover accessories and I would think that your suit of protection would be covered as you would not wear it in your cage..

Riker
03-25-2012, 07:18 AM
Just to add regarding insurance complanies and accessory replacement. Generally depending on your policy you will have an amout set aside for those cost, mine was $1k. Which is no way enough to cover so I bumped it up just a couple weeks ago to $2k. To leave no doubt, I would contact your local agent...

Bob Denman
03-25-2012, 07:45 AM
It'll depend on your State and how your insurance treats and defines "Safety gear and accessories"...)
In any event; you might also have coverage on tyour Homeowner's policy for it...

kawakii
03-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Progressives Motorcycle policies come standard with $2000.00 of accessories coverage we bumped it up to $ 4000.00 to cover our wheelchair carrier, isci handbrake, corbin seat, floor boards trunk liner, helmets, jackets, gloves, heated gerbing vest etc... it adds up quickly and all you add ons you'd want replaced in a crash.

Progressive has been great to us :) We are carrying Total Replacement insurance for the 2 allowable years from them-- a little more $ but worth it.

Firefly
03-25-2012, 11:57 PM
I know if your GPS, Radar Detector, Phone, etc... Is stolen from your car....your car insurance will only cover them when plugged into the cars power.

As with most things and insurance companies.......YMMV.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob Denman
03-26-2012, 06:42 AM
As with most things and insurance companies.......YMMV...

:agree::thumbup:
Read your policy!

wyliec
03-26-2012, 08:28 AM
I know if your GPS, Radar Detector, Phone, etc... Is stolen from your car....your car insurance will only cover them when plugged into the cars power.

As with most things and insurance companies.......YMMV.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Are you talking hardwired or just into the cigarette lighter? If the cigarette lighter, how does the insurance company know if they were plugged in?

Also, leaving an item plugged in to the cigarette lighter makes it easier for a thief to spot.

Firefly
03-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Plugged in to cigarette lighter counts as part of the car. Best friend of mine and his wife had both their phones stolen from car--- only the one plugged in was covered.

Bob Denman
03-26-2012, 10:17 AM
...But again; it'll depend on how your carrier defines and then treats accessories and/or riding gear...
...and you may also have coverage under your Homeowner's policy.
Confused yet?? :shocked:

wyliec
03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm still wondering how does the insurance co. know if it was plugged in when stolen?

ARtraveler
03-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Interesting questions. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Firefly
03-26-2012, 12:07 PM
I'm still wondering how does the insurance co. know if it was plugged in when stolen?

The same way they know whether the item was ever really stolen or not..... by your word.