PDA

View Full Version : Replacement seats for the RT

SusanOnRed
03-24-2012, 08:11 PM
We are thinking of possibly changing out our factory seats but do not know enough about replacement seats. I have seen some posts about the Corbin seats and also the add-on backrest from Utopia. Is the Corbin as "firm" as it says and if so, is it comfortable? I like the idea of the gas port. Hubby wants to know what is recommended for a large man. Any information you all can give us would be appreciated.

spyder3
03-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Try the kontour seat site....it's very comfy IMO.

CyncySpyder
03-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Many have switched to the Corbin with the Lamonster Cut for their RTs & most seem to be very happy. Personally, that would be the way I would go if I could afford it. Having the optional heat would be very welcome while ryding here in the winter & that fuel door would be a godsend, especially with always having Teddy's carrier on the back seat that's gotta be moved to fuel-up:sour: But we haven't won the lotto, so we make do on the cheap. We've kept our stock seat & Teddys SpyderFest Edition RT-S from Len & the Crew at Cowtown :firstplace:came with the Utopia backrest & KewlMetal Wing Highway Pegs & being able to stretch out with the highway pegs & having the Utopia, you can stretch out & relax, as Arntufun once commented, like a balcolounger on 3 wheels :roflblack: Only caveat here, you HAVE TO HAVE SPYDERPOPS "LEBLOCK" in place, or your Right foot gets cooked. My only real wish now would be to find a local seat guru that could mod a fuel door & add a heated option, then we'd be totally set :clap:

NancysToy
03-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Seats are a very personal thing. What suits one rider can be agony to another. The best advice I could give would be to go to a Spder event like Spyderfest, before you buy. Look at sveral options. If you ask nicely, some owners may allow you to sit down and try theirs out. There are a variety of options...some made to order for you in person or from photos and data you provide. Besides Corbin there are Kontour, Russell Day-Long, Utopia(?), and specialty companies like Rick Mayer. Even within these options there are variations such as the Lamonster cut. A lot of it depends on what you find wrong with the stock seat, and what you want to change...softer, firmer, more dished, more rounded, farther back, closer, leather, wider, backrests, etc. Only you can make this decision.

Bob Denman
03-25-2012, 07:51 AM
:agree: It's way to personal to assume that what has worked for others will also be your very own "cup of tea" as well.
There's a guy in Florida who can put the fuel door in the stock seat... We had a thread about it back a couple of month'w ago...
I can't remember his name though... :opps:
Something like "www.ass-essories.com"

Chazzman
03-25-2012, 07:52 AM
I like Corbin, their seats are leather and cost the same as most others vinyl. I have had 3 Corbin's on motorcycles. The quality is excellent and you have a variety of colors. Any seat that is soft will not be comfortable, you need dense foam to reduce hot spots and equalize pressure points in the buttocks. Now I must say that the stock seat on the Spyder is as good as they come from the factory. If I were to ride 500+ mile days back to back I would replace the seat. The Corbin takes about 1000 miles to break in and it molds to your behind. If it hasn't improved their customer service is a pain...

I know nothing about Kustom but I would try and at least sit on as many as possible, though sitting on one for a few minutes and sitting on one for several hours is very different. Like everyone say's it is a very personal choice. I will probably eventually end up with a Corbin unless something better comes along.

bluestratos
03-25-2012, 09:54 AM
I have the Corbin with backrest, put it on about 2 months ago. I have about 600 miles on it and so far it is worse than my stockseat but they say give it 600 to 1000 to break in so I hope for the best. I went on a 7 hour ride yesterday and could not wait to get off it when I got home. Seats are different for every rider I guess and I think there are some of us that no matter what will feel pain after a long ride.

Overall I put the Corbin seat at 5 out of 10 for quality, fit to bike and comfort. The gas door is a huge plus and the leather stands up better than the stock seat.

Regards,

Randy

Bob Denman
03-25-2012, 04:31 PM
On another thread... Inspector Gadget is working on the fuel "trap door"... :thumbup:

SusanOnRed
03-25-2012, 08:23 PM
:bowdown: Thanks to you all for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

StriperKing
03-25-2012, 09:37 PM
I have installed a Corbin on mine and yes is is very firm to hard but I also agree at least for me that a soft seat is not comfy for a long ride. My butt does still get fatigued with the Corbin after a long ride but not nearly as soon or as bad. On the other hand as a passenger my wife hates it. She said it is to hard for her but she is getting used to it. I got the smaller version of the back rest on my Corbin and love it!!! I had the Utopia on my stock seat and did not like it just because I am kinda short and the corners hit right at my shoulder blades and would kill me on long rides, probably not an issue for most. For me the Corbin was a good mod but my Corbin backrest is priceless! The quality of the Corbin is top notch. I will be having them add some padding for my wife, she rides 95% of the time with me and needs to be happy also. Like stated before openions are just that, openions.

PS: the Corbin backrest is mounted much more solid than the Utopia will be when installed.