PDA

View Full Version : Spyder in shop for two weeks. :(

Bytemi
03-24-2012, 10:31 AM
So I took my Spyder to Coleman's last night. They said they didn't know what the gas smell was but they would try to get to it within two weeks.

Apparently, there are three spyders ahead of me so I can just wait. God I really hate this service station.

Bob Denman
03-24-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry to hear that they couldn't tackle it any quicker for you... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_5.gif I'd take them a box of goodies from Dunkin Donuts or something to grease the wheels a little... :thumbup:

TicketBait
03-24-2012, 11:00 AM
So I took my Spyder to Coleman's last night. They said they didn't know what the gas smell was but they would try to get to it within two weeks.

Apparently, there are three spyders ahead of me so I can just wait. God I really hate this service station.

I think there are many threads on here about the gas smell. I had it and it went away. Sometimes comes back during hot weather I think. If it is not creating any other issues or symptoms why can't you just ride it and make an appointment to bring it in, in next two weeks. I would also do a search on this forum for some suggestive answers/remedies to the issue. Just a suggestion so you get to keep on riding.

Sarge707
03-24-2012, 11:09 AM
I have never Topped Off the Spyder and never had any smell BUT if I did I would remove the Cannister because thats where the smell is coming from?

arntufun
03-24-2012, 01:17 PM
I think there are many threads on here about the gas smell. I had it and it went away. Sometimes comes back during hot weather I think. If it is not creating any other issues or symptoms why can't you just ride it and make an appointment to bring it in, in next two weeks. I would also do a search on this forum for some suggestive answers/remedies to the issue. Just a suggestion so you get to keep on riding.

:agree:
:agree:

rnet
03-24-2012, 01:50 PM
There is a recall on that, 2008 & 2009s, make sure it has been done.

NancysToy
03-24-2012, 05:37 PM
It is a shame you have a dealer like this. I can understand a dealer being busy, and not having time to look at your Spyder for two weeks, but to insist that it remain in their shop to secure its place in line, when there is no reason you could not be riding it, is just plain silly. More than that, it's bad business. Abused customers eventually go someplace else, almost without fail. May your dealer get what's coming to them in the end.

daveinva
03-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Bytemi-- speak with the manager. Coleman's Fall Church doesn't do appointments either (grrr!) but they *will* let you know when they can see you, i.e. when I've had service in the past they've told me up front how many Spyders they had in the queue and gave me the option of taking it in later, they DID hold my place in line. I don't know why Woodbridge wouldn't do that-- they probably just don't even think about it, but seriously, it's worth asking the management given they only have the single Spyder tech*, it's spring riding season, etc.

*You keep saying this, is that what they tell you? I ask because Falls Church sells/services far fewer Spyders than Woodbridge and they have two techs (or at least they did last year, might have been a seasonal/temporary deal). I don't doubt your word, I'm just genuinely surprised if that's the case.

daveinva
03-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Abused customers eventually go someplace else, almost without fail. May your dealer get what's coming to them in the end.

Hahahahaha, you're funny, Scotty. :mad:

D.C.-- seventh largest metro area in the country!-- has precisely two Spyder dealers in the immediate area (<40 miles).

And they're both owned by the same company.

And neither location is a dedicated BRP dealer, i.e. they make the vast majority of money servicing other non-HD bikes.

I've never had a bad experience with them; great, in fact. I know others who've had nightmares with them, however, in large part because they are the monopoly here, and have their own quirks (i.e., no appointments for service, long queues for repairs, etc., etc.)

IGETAROUND
03-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Since when is >40 miles an onerous distance to go to get treated properly???

daveinva
03-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Since when is >40 miles an onerous distance to go to get treated properly???

I dunno, when you have a Spyder dealer literally down the :cus: street?

Bytemi
03-26-2012, 06:24 AM

Coleman's does not take appointments. I either leave the bike or lose my place in line. It is very frustrating. i would love to keep on riding.

Bytemi
03-26-2012, 06:25 AM
There is a recall on that, 2008 & 2009s, make sure it has been done.

I told them that, even gave the bulletin number. They just brushed it off and said they would see what they can find when they get to the bike.

Bytemi
03-26-2012, 06:27 AM
It is a shame you have a dealer like this. I can understand a dealer being busy, and not having time to look at your Spyder for two weeks, but to insist that it remain in their shop to secure its place in line, when there is no reason you could not be riding it, is just plain silly. More than that, it's bad business. Abused customers eventually go someplace else, almost without fail. May your dealer get what's coming to them in the end.

The next closes shop is 45 minutes away and they know it. My fear is that they are going to drag their feet and it is going to be longer than two weeks.

I had to leave my bike right after getting it for a week for the 600 mile check up. I just don't understand at all.

Bytemi
03-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Bytemi-- speak with the manager. Coleman's Fall Church doesn't do appointments either (grrr!) but they *will* let you know when they can see you, i.e. when I've had service in the past they've told me up front how many Spyders they had in the queue and gave me the option of taking it in later, they DID hold my place in line. I don't know why Woodbridge wouldn't do that-- they probably just don't even think about it, but seriously, it's worth asking the management given they only have the single Spyder tech*, it's spring riding season, etc.

*You keep saying this, is that what they tell you? I ask because Falls Church sells/services far fewer Spyders than Woodbridge and they have two techs (or at least they did last year, might have been a seasonal/temporary deal). I don't doubt your word, I'm just genuinely surprised if that's the case.

Woodbridge only has 1 tech or at least thats what they keep telling me and he doesn't work on Wednesdays, which is understand everyone needs a day off. I tried the hold my place in line thing last year when I had a recall for the gear shift box. I waited for the part to come in, they said bring by, I got there and I was at the bottom of the line. Eventhough it had been two weeks and I was jus waiting on the part. It is just easier to leave and not deal with "We have to take them in order of arrival" crap.

Bob Denman
03-26-2012, 06:38 AM
:gaah: I think that they may have forgotten why they're in business... :gaah:

fastfraser
03-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Go to another dealer !!!:dontknow: I wouldn't care if I had to drive 100 miles to get to a dealer that would treat me fair and deal with me in a timely manner.:thumbup:

SPYD1
03-26-2012, 06:53 AM
I went to that dealership while I was visiting my daughter in VA. and I was not impressed with the attitude of the people on the floor. Once they found out I was from Michigan they walked away. They had some really good prices on used RTs but I would not give them my money. I know your locked in as there is nowhere else to go...but??????? They also had hardly any accessories for Spyders.

BajaRon
03-26-2012, 06:55 AM
The next closes shop is 45 minutes away and they know it. My fear is that they are going to drag their feet and it is going to be longer than two weeks.

I had to leave my bike right after getting it for a week for the 600 mile check up. I just don't understand at all.

It might be Carlo time!

Bytemi
03-26-2012, 09:06 AM
I went to that dealership while I was visiting my daughter in VA. and I was not impressed with the attitude of the people on the floor. Once they found out I was from Michigan they walked away. They had some really good prices on used RTs but I would not give them my money. I know your locked in as there is nowhere else to go...but??????? They also had hardly any accessories for Spyders.

They don't have any accessories at all, thank God for the internet. My husband said we would try and go to Fredricksburg next time, but the problem is a 40 Mile Ride turns into a 2 to 3 hour trip in traffic and there is always traffic heading south on 95. It just sucks all around.

zrc
03-26-2012, 09:21 AM
I would just go in everytime they were open and I wasnt at work and wait. Constantly. Maybe go in and sit around playing with a knife... :D

Bob Denman
03-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Or a grenade? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_5_133.gif
Serilusly though... Get in touch with Carlo at BRP. He'll find out what their problem is for you! :thumbup:
PM me if you can't find his number or email address...

SteveMac
03-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Go to another dealer !!!:dontknow: I wouldn't care if I had to drive 100 miles to get to a dealer that would treat me fair and deal with me in a timely manner.:thumbup:

:agree::agree::agree:

Good advice here.

daveinva
03-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Bytemi, I'm sorry you're not having any luck. I know that it's a hike to take when you don't know what's wrong with the bike, i.e. a trip just to make a *diagnostic* on the bike, but know that Trumbull Motorsports in Mechanicsville. MD *does* do appointments.

Also, talk to Spyderlovers member bonecrusher, he's a loyal user of Talbot out on the Eastern Shore, I believe they do appointments as well.

A hike is still a hike :mad:, but a guaranteed appointment beats letting your Spyder sit in the shop for who-knows-how-long.

(Guess what? I've got my 6000 mile service coming up, right before a long trip out west... I'm making sure to drop my bike off for the service with Coleman a MONTH before I go just to ensure it gets done in plenty of time. Joy....)

Sarge707
03-26-2012, 11:52 AM
BRP Support # 715-848-4957 Give them your VIN # and ask what updates need to be done!!!
Write them down and notify dealer what you have found.

TuckMiddle
03-26-2012, 01:02 PM

I was wondering why it was left at the dealership. Now I know. My dealer has worked well with me and some problems require two 90 mile round trips, not all. Several times they have had to do some BUD or other test, but I'd never leave it there just to hold a spot, that's absurd. When the part comes in, they call and I go in the next day, or the same day in a couple instances. I was there one day for 7 hours, long story, and the #2 guy was mortified that he didn't know. He was about to lend me a bike, but they closed it up for lack of a part and I went home. These are all what would be considered small things, but the fuel drain thing is almost out of control. If the new purge valve doesn't work, out the whole thing comes out and let it drain on the rear tire like a small dog. Already moved the drain line to the back.

Good luck with those folks, but I'd sure let Carlo know what's happening - that's unsatisfactory.:banghead:

Tuck

daveinva
03-26-2012, 01:34 PM
To all recommending contacting Carlo or complaining to BRP... the dealership(s) we're talking about isn't looking to screw Spyder owners, they don't do maintenance appointments for *any* bike owners (Kawa, Yama, Suzuki, Ducati, scooters, etc.), that's how they've always operated as long as I've been going there (15+ years). We're not talking some little Can-Am only dealer out in the middle of nowhere-- they each do tremendous volume in other bikes, they're the biggest non-HD motorcycle dealers in the D.C. area, and Spyder owners have to compete with everybody else for their attention.

Clearly, that policy hurts Spyder owners more than other bike owners because they're left with "single points of failure," i.e. one tech for all the Spyders they sell = inevitably long queue for service. That's not ideal, obviously, but I'd be quite curious what sway BRP would have over a dealership in this instance. In a perfect world, perhaps they could insist on making an exception for Spyder owners in scheduling appointments, or insist that the dealerships hire additional techs as a condition of selling them, but I have no idea how BRP negotiates its contracts with its independent dealerships.

Bottom line: if BRP can help, all the better, but I still think that going to an alternative dealer *when necessary* (and informing the Coleman manager personally why you're giving your business elsewhere) is likelier the better strategy.

Anyway, I don't consider them a "bad" dealership chain; just one with their own rules that keep them from being in that top tier of Spyder dealers nationwide. In order to get better, they have to increase their mechanic throughput, or change their rules.

REDSPY
03-26-2012, 02:57 PM
I go to Motosports in Hanover, PA. 717-632-7093. They are 95 Miles from Alex, VA. and well worth the trip. Ryan is the service manager and does all the work on the Spyders and they do take appointments. I purchased my RT from them and will take it back of all the required service. Just made an appointment in April for my next service. I usually ride up early in the am and wait around the shop and store front. Nice ice cream shop next door. I have also tailored it up and they let me keep the trailer there until the bike was finished. This make it a lot easier to go back when the bike was ready.
Redspy