PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

Arr MiHardies
03-23-2012, 11:57 AM
I suggested this idea to Reggy, and he didn't know if it was doable and suggested I post it here.

The BRP CB radio kit is too :cus: expensive. There's not any real good way to use any other cb kit on the Spyder. What I proposed was some sort of wiring harness that would connect into the left hand instrument cluster that could intercept the PTT button on an RT and forward that to a headset jack that supports external PTT buttons on a cb or 2 way radio. Assuming that works, one would just need a wire to easily connect a headset to get audio from whatever kit you are using, which you could stash inside the bike, trunk, or wherever.

I guess the crux of whether or not it is possible is whether or not the PTT has a dedicated circuit that could be intercepted with such a harness, and whether there are cb kits can can be used with external PTT buttons. :dontknow:

Bob Denman
03-23-2012, 12:12 PM
I recall this being kicked around here once a couple of years' ago. I believe that the general concensus was that you couldn't cut that PTT button out of the loop. :gaah:

ARtraveler
03-23-2012, 12:15 PM
I think that Bob is right--but I could not swear to that in court.

So far, I have not had to worry about CB--just communication with another bike in sight range or with a passenger on board. I am still back in the stone age and using Cardo 2's.

I will watch this with interest though.

Bob Denman
03-23-2012, 12:35 PM
I've never had to worry about CB communications; if somebody doesn't like what I did out on the road they sure seem to find ways to let me know about it... :shocked: :opps:

Arr MiHardies
03-23-2012, 12:41 PM
I don't care about for short trips. But for our SrA rides and such, it'd be nice to talk t the others, communicate to the road captain and such.

And for longer trips like to SitR, I hope to ride with others. Be nice to talk on long trips like that.... But not $800 nice.

SpydherLuv
03-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.jmcorp.com/Static/jmcb-2003.htm

NancysToy
03-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Sorry, it's not feasible. The switches on the left control are digital, and are not wired individually. You can't tap into the PTT button.

Arr MiHardies
03-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.jmcorp.com/Static/jmcb-2003.htm

I've seen it, but that thing is massive. And im not so sure it would fit on our massive handlebars. Not even sure I'd want it on my handlebars. We have a big enough instrument cluster as is.

SpydherLuv
03-23-2012, 02:41 PM
A friend has one on his RS-SE and it really doesn't look as big as it does in the picture. I'll see if I can get him to post a pic of his setup here.

Bob Denman
03-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Sorry, it's not feasible. The switches on the left control are digital, and are not wired individually. You can't tap into the PTT button.
Scotty,
Thanks! :2thumbs: :clap: