PDA

View Full Version : Trailer interior tie down points ?

rickm
03-22-2012, 08:25 PM
I just bought a 7X10 alum trailer for my RT. My question is how does everybody tie their bikes down. I understand going though the rear tire to d-rings but the front end is the question. I know not to use the tires as that could effect your toe-in or out. So how do we do it ? Pics of your ride in the trailer would be GREAT. And if anyone in Michigan is looking for a alum trailer for a RS Montross Trailer in Montross MI has a nice one that was made for a guy and he bought it but never got the Spyder so he has asked them to sell it from him. I will tell you if my RT would have fit I would have bought it in a second. I know it's 750 LBs and they said about $3100 for it. Well back to the tie downs , if I could see some pics it would help. Thanks Rick

bobbobtar
03-22-2012, 08:54 PM
The only safe way to tie the Spyder in a trailer without doing any damage is thru the wheels front and back.

Redjim
03-22-2012, 09:02 PM
When I trailer my RT in a trailer, I use L track (or you could use E track) that run under the tires and then use ratchet straps that go over the tires. This holds the RT in place without putting any stress on the suspension. It puts all the hold down force over the tires to the trailer floor. Have trailered my RT for thousands of miles without any problems. I would recommend this method. This method is also recommended by BMW for trailering their cars.

rickm
03-22-2012, 09:09 PM
I hear you but I don't get it ? PIC'S PLEASE Not trying to shout but I don't know what e-track is.

NancysToy
03-22-2012, 10:05 PM
I tie down through the wheels. I cross-tie both front and rear (right tire tied to left side of trailer, etc.) I use microtowel sleeves over soft-ties to protect the wheels. E-track is a type of tie-down hardware, that allows attachment of tie-rings and other accessories along the track. I use a different king of removable ring system, the Ancra aircraft hold-downs. I like them because they have a high weight rating, are removable, have extra bases available, and bolt clear through the floor without having to be recessed into the floor. A search of trailer hardware will reveal lots of other options...or visit the trailer section at your local home improvement center, auto parts store, or tractor supply store. Be sure and use tie-downs and rings with an adequate rating. The working load rating is the important one, which is a fraction of the breaking strength. A 1,000 pound Spyder using three ties, would need ties rated at 334 pounds or better. I'd try for better, since in a crash or panis stop, all the force can be put on a couple of straps. Doubling the straps and using different rings for each tie can increase the ratings, too.

dancogan
03-23-2012, 06:33 AM
I mounted two wheel chocks on my trailer. One chock is a Condor, that can be placed for a Spyder or easily moved to the center of the trailer if I carry a 2 wheeler. The other is a much less expensive chock, permanently mounted so that both front wheels of the Spyder are held in chocks, then strapped down to the chocks also. The rear wheel gets a ratchet tie down connected to 2 D rings.

fastfraser
03-23-2012, 07:00 AM
:agree: With Scotty . I use the same method , through the wheels, left to right, right to left. 4 years and no problems .

rickm
03-23-2012, 07:52 AM
:agree: With Scotty . I use the same method , through the wheels, left to right, right to left. 4 years and no problems .
Sounds good,could some body please take some pic's. They tell a million words. Thanks Rick

poorboy1942
03-23-2012, 08:29 AM
I just ordered the super clamp from my dealer. The said it would be here in two weeks. Looks like the best clamp for me.

http://www.superclamp.net

Bob

rickm
03-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Poorboy, Those look nice. Can I ask what they ran you ? I can see how that wouldn't affect your front end alignment.

NancysToy
03-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Tie-downs that are properly used should not affect the wheel alignment. If you used super heavy duty ratchet straps, and cranked them down until they said "Uncle!" they might, but a cam-lock or light 400#-600# ratchet strap, simply tightened until it is snug, does not cause damage. BTW, I also use plain wheel chocks when trailering the Spyder, so the front tie-downs simply hold the wheels against the chocks. I do like in using the wheel nets or over-the-tire straps, but it is hard to get them under the Spyder's tight fenders, and hard to get adequate clearance from the large ratchet to the fender. The ties through the wheels get the ratchets out into the open, and the straps are easy to get through the wheels. As a result, I reserve those for our race cars and hotrods. Hard to get good pics in the confines of a trailer...at least in mine where I cram the Spyder up front and put another bike or two in the back...sorry!

poorboy1942
03-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Poorboy, Those look nice. Can I ask what they ran you ? I can see how that wouldn't affect your front end alignment.

Dealer, told me $429.00, plus tax. Said it will take about two weeks to get them. I hope he is right on both..

Bob

rickm
03-24-2012, 07:45 PM
I would still like to see a few pics if someone would be so kind. Rick

rickm
03-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Still would like some pic's PLEASE. Gentlemen if you can get in there to tie it down Iwould think it would be easy to get in a take a pic. Thank You Rick:dontknow:

REDSPY
03-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Here's what I did. Had diamond plate chocks made for spyder and have removeable ride on wheel chock for my Goldwing. I tie down through front wheel tight to wheel chocks and also loop through back wheel to back tie downs

rickm
03-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Redspy Thank you very much for the pic's, those are some classy looking chocks. I just came back from the trailer place and we talked about a 2x4 in front and back of the front wheels. this would be a place for the wheel to fall into and give the bike a placement so to say. Centered between the 2x4's will be d-rings on each side of each tire so they can be ratcheted down to the floor. The rear will just go through and pull back alittle. Again thank you for taking the time for the pic's Rick

Hawk
03-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Could something like this be an option:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/150601494791?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Hawk
03-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Of course if I was gonna be towing alot, I would probably get that superclamp system installed on my trailer.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A-Xi_fvZe1U