PDA

View Full Version : Side Trip for Durango?

Cavman
03-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Last year while on my epic 8001.5 mile camping journey covering 15 states over three weeks, I met an interesting couple. I was seeking some of the ghost towns in NV in a somewhat a remote area, where I met them.

I contacted them through their blog http://ourfourwheelcamper.org to see if they knew of any interesting places I might visit while in CO for the BRP Owner's event? There was a link there he sent about the Alpine Loop. http://www.alpineloop.com/HTML/index.html
Also, it was suggested taking the historic train to Silverton. www.durangotrain.com
I may only have time to do the Alpine Loop as a photo op side trip as I may be out there an extra day or so? My friends the Johnsons, do a lot of out of the way, back country, remote traveling and camping out West. I wish we had some of the interesting remote type areas here on this side of the US to explore.

If anyone has some insights on the Alpine Loop, let me know?

SpyderAnn01
03-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Were you planning on taking the Spyder on the Alpine Loop? I just read that it requires a high clearance 4=wheel drive vehicle. Have you checked out the Million Dollar Highway?

ronrico
03-22-2012, 12:36 AM
I agree with the above. The Alpine Loop is more for hiking and biking and not spyder riding. The million dollar highway was a really good ride the last time I took it on a two wheeler..

dancogan
03-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Roads like the Alpine Loop are the primary reason I'm attending the owners' event with a dual sport bike rather than my Spyder. There are lots of areas for off road riding, some good smooth gravel and some considerably more challenging.

Cavman
03-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Spyder no. I would be driving the loop in my Tundra 4x4 as I was doing last Summer.
I'll also look into the Million Dollar Highway, thanks!

Last Summer I drove from Pahrump to Indian Springs, NV via the Wheeler Pass Road. "Bucket List" item.
I met a BLM officer near Indian Springs and he told me the part I had just driven down he had gone up that section a month earlier and shredded a set of BF Goodrich tires in his Power Wagon.
Yea, it was fun coming down in low range, first gear tapping the brakes. Yeehaw! :yes:

SpyderAnn01
03-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Roads like the Alpine Loop are the primary reason I'm attending the owners' event with a dual sport bike rather than my Spyder. There are lots of areas for off road riding, some good smooth gravel and some considerably more challenging.

You're lucky Dan you have a toy for all situations! Are you trailering both bikes out there? I can't imagine you there without your Spyder.

Cliff-Co.
03-22-2012, 11:26 AM
If'n ya are pressed for time, , ride north of durango, to silverton, (over million dollar hwy) to ouray, to ridgway, to telluride, about a 200 mi round trip, fantastic scenery ya'll never forget!!

Cliff-Co.
03-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Last year while on my epic 8001.5 mile camping journey covering 15 states over three weeks, I met an interesting couple. I was seeking some of the ghost towns in NV in a somewhat a remote area, where I met them.

I contacted them through their blog http://ourfourwheelcamper.org to see if they knew of any interesting places I might visit while in CO for the BRP Owner's event? There was a link there he sent about the Alpine Loop. http://www.alpineloop.com/HTML/index.html
Also, it was suggested taking the historic train to Silverton. www.durangotrain.com (http://www.durangotrain.com)
I may only have time to do the Alpine Loop as a photo op side trip as I may be out there an extra day or so? My friends the Johnsons, do a lot of out of the way, back country, remote traveling and camping out West. I wish we had some of the interesting remote type areas here on this side of the US to explore.

If anyone has some insights on the Alpine Loop, let me know? Cavman, if'n ya are pressed for time, ride north of durango, to silverton, (over the million dollar hwy.) to ouray , then to ridgway, & then over dallas divide to telluride!!!,, about 200 mi round trip, & fantastic scenery, you'll never forget!!!

dancogan
03-22-2012, 12:01 PM
You're lucky Dan you have a toy for all situations! Are you trailering both bikes out there? I can't imagine you there without your Spyder.

There will be times I will be wishing for the Spyder, but the trailer only has room for one bike. At least as 2-wheelers go, it's very comfortable.

joet82
03-22-2012, 12:56 PM
I'm going to be detouring through CO on my way back from SpyderFest and will be taking a crack at the High Altitude Member Patch. Take a look at www.ccriders.org/ham

SteveMac
03-22-2012, 12:59 PM
I had wanted to see the Grand Canyon while there, but it looks like 4 hours one way. I will be interested in the Million Dollar Highway though.

Cavman
03-25-2012, 07:43 PM
That High Altitude Member Patch might be a thing to look into. I went up Pikes Peak twice last year. Got a couple Geocaches logged too. Also had a problem with altitude sickness. :opps: